BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-05-11 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3492910

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed

Mark & Jacqui, you are both inspirational! Even on your rough days (maybe more so). There were several workouts where I thought "What would Mark do?" and just powered through even if it wasn't pretty. Maybe we need to make bumber stickers...LOL WWMD?

mwp1054 - 2011-05-11 6:54 AM
willrunforchocolate - 2011-05-10 9:40 PM

Mark,

I'm sorry you had a crappy workout, but it's good to know that I am not alone in having a rough time in the 90 degree weather we had, and that I'm not the only one who "forgot" how to train in hot conditions!  

I did a 6 mile run with 8 speed intervals.  It was total hell.  I walked up big hills and did 7 of the 8 intervals and decided to skip the last one.  Then, about 5 minutes from home, I thought to myself "what would Mark do?"  I was SURE you would not skip the last interval so I half-heartedly did another sprint.  LOL.

It was a good reminder that we need plenty of fluid and electrolytes now that the weather has heated up.  And that it will take a little time to get used to the heat!!  I am exhausted, lol.

Jacqui

Great job on finishing the interval.  I wanted to quit my run too, but slugged my way through it.  I had a great bike, doing hard hill repeats training for my race next week which is all hills.  My coach sent out a message to all of her athletes last night saying that every single one of us was upset about a bonk yesterday, just let it go and give yourself time to adjust.  It was good mentally to know I was far from alone.  There are some great athletes in that group.

2011-05-11 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3492519

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
TSimone - 2011-05-10 8:00 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-10 5:44 PM

Okay folks, I caved under the pressure (j/k!) and registered for 2nd triathlon! I'll be attempting my first open-water race at the Chaska River Days Triathlon on July 16th. I figure the water should be warm enough by then to be okay w/o a wetsuit, but if I decide I want to deal with one I'll look into renting.

This race is slightly longer than the Chain of Lakes w/ a 1/3 mile out-and-back swim, a 16-mile cycle and a 5K run.

Thanks! Sounds like I'll be fine w/o, but I'm gonna at least look for a local vendor so I can try on an Xterra suit for sizing.

First, congrats on your first race!  Second, congrats on entering your second!  Check out Xterra wetsuit rentals.  $49 for a full suit rental and if you like the suit you can buy it for another $90 or so.  If not, just ship it back.

http://rentals.xterrawetsuits.com/

2011-05-11 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3286171

User image

CO

Hey everybody,

I had my head in the sand for finals week, but now I'm done with the semester and just getting settled into a research schedule.  Quite a few pages of posts to catch up on!  I fell off the bandwagon for a couple of days of training last week but got back on top of things over the weekend.  I have my first tri coming up this Sunday!  450m indoor swim, 13 mi bike, 5k run.  I'm treating it as a training day so I haven't been ramping down too much.  3+ mi run on Monday (ran sub-8 minute miles for the first time this season!), 18 mi moderate ride yesterday, 1100 m swim this morning with a few 100m sprints thrown in.  I'm thinking of doing an easy swim and an easy run between now and Sunday.  Does that seem reasonable?

Looking beyond this race, my next tri is three weeks after the one this weekend.  Then my 'big' tri, the main event of this season, is two weeks after that.  I was planning on having a couple of recovery days early next week, then a week of build followed by a taper to Tri #2.  The last two weeks to Tri # 3 I thought would include a few days of recovery, then a big taper to the last race.  I welcome any thoughts on adjusting this schedule.

Congrats to all who have already gotten races under their belts this season!  I'm inspired!

-Tel-

2011-05-11 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

Congratulations to henry on his first! YAY!

I've been too busy to even read but went back a few pages to get a bit caught up.  I have 4 weeks (or is it 3?) for my HIM and I'm feeling very ready on the bike.  Looking over my logs I'm woefully unprepared for the swim and I figured out I really dread workouts because of the reef (cudda, wicked currents, high waves) and finally figured out I should just cut each lap short (each lap is 150m ish) and avoid the reef.  DOH!

I still really really hate that cudda though.  But at least it isn't a shark.

2011-05-11 9:58 PM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

cudda....YIKES!!!

@Henry

The xterra rental sounds like a good idea for 49$. HOwever, there are wetsuits that are very functional (neosports brand) on ebay for around 100$ which includes the shipping.  Usually shipping is free.  I got mine two years ago before neosport became a better known brand and got it for 89$ including the free shipping!

2011-05-12 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3493782

User image

@kathy

I hear you about the cuddas. They freak me out too.

I've never seen one in the bay where I swim but it's pretty shallow and heavily trafficked and not near a reef so it would be unlikely. Actually, when I'm in a group I don't worry but when I'm alone or just with one other person I'm always sure that the shadows are cuddas attracted by the reflection from my road id, or my goggles or my nail polish. Of course, that's just silly. And I know that ... and then there's another stinking shadow scaring the crap out of me. And then I'll touch a piece of seaweed and forget it I practically leap out of the water.

Sometimes I'm so jumpy by the end of a swim I'm practically laughing at myself because I know it's silly but they do freak me out.

:-)

2011-05-12 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3493633

User image

TElenor - 2011-05-11 11:38 AM

Hey everybody,

I had my head in the sand for finals week, but now I'm done with the semester and just getting settled into a research schedule.  Quite a few pages of posts to catch up on!  I fell off the bandwagon for a couple of days of training last week but got back on top of things over the weekend.  I have my first tri coming up this Sunday!  450m indoor swim, 13 mi bike, 5k run.  I'm treating it as a training day so I haven't been ramping down too much.  3+ mi run on Monday (ran sub-8 minute miles for the first time this season!), 18 mi moderate ride yesterday, 1100 m swim this morning with a few 100m sprints thrown in.  I'm thinking of doing an easy swim and an easy run between now and Sunday.  Does that seem reasonable?

Looking beyond this race, my next tri is three weeks after the one this weekend.  Then my 'big' tri, the main event of this season, is two weeks after that.  I was planning on having a couple of recovery days early next week, then a week of build followed by a taper to Tri #2.  The last two weeks to Tri # 3 I thought would include a few days of recovery, then a big taper to the last race.  I welcome any thoughts on adjusting this schedule.

Congrats to all who have already gotten races under their belts this season!  I'm inspired!

-Tel-

If you're not planning on hammering your first race at race pace, I'd not be too worried about recovery.  One day max.  Get right back to your aggressive build phase, but then one week before your next race, do a significant cut back and taper.  Make sure your taper is adequate to allow for maximum recovery so that you are in peak shape.  Well rested, but still having done all your sports, just shorter duration and reasonable intensity.  I strongly advocate swimming and running the day before the race too.  Many athletes take that day off, I think it's a mistake.  Take a day off two days before the race if you wish.  It's very important to allow your muscle fibers to fire the day before the race, just for a little bit.  You'll feel better on race day, trust me.

2011-05-12 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3496278

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
miamiamy - 2011-05-12 5:00 PM

@kathy

I hear you about the cuddas. They freak me out too.

I've never seen one in the bay where I swim but it's pretty shallow and heavily trafficked and not near a reef so it would be unlikely. Actually, when I'm in a group I don't worry but when I'm alone or just with one other person I'm always sure that the shadows are cuddas attracted by the reflection from my road id, or my goggles or my nail polish. Of course, that's just silly. And I know that ... and then there's another stinking shadow scaring the crap out of me. And then I'll touch a piece of seaweed and forget it I practically leap out of the water.

Sometimes I'm so jumpy by the end of a swim I'm practically laughing at myself because I know it's silly but they do freak me out.

:-)

Thanks so much!  Our water is super clear (except when it is stormy, then it gets murky) but yeah, that seaweed or kelp have me breaching like a whale when I hit it.    Sometimes I think I get more cardio from swimming than bike or run just from the "scared sh*tless" factor. 

2011-05-13 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3496367

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

I took Mark's advice and did an easy run (about a mile and a half) the day before my race. I wasn't able to swim that day, but my last swim was 2 days prior to race day, so I wasn't worried. I really think the easy run kept me loose. I ran faster on race day than I'd run in my trainings and it felt really good!

mwp1054 - 2011-05-12 6:11 PM
TElenor - 2011-05-11 11:38 AM

Hey everybody,

-Tel-

If you're not planning on hammering your first race at race pace, I'd not be too worried about recovery.  One day max.  Get right back to your aggressive build phase, but then one week before your next race, do a significant cut back and taper.  Make sure your taper is adequate to allow for maximum recovery so that you are in peak shape.  Well rested, but still having done all your sports, just shorter duration and reasonable intensity.  I strongly advocate swimming and running the day before the race too.  Many athletes take that day off, I think it's a mistake.  Take a day off two days before the race if you wish.  It's very important to allow your muscle fibers to fire the day before the race, just for a little bit.  You'll feel better on race day, trust me.

2011-05-13 7:17 PM

User image

Good luck to those racing this weekend!

Remember, race to your intentions.  Set your course and race to it.

2011-05-13 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3498250

User image

Veteran
So I couldn't take the pool anymore and had to tri my first ows. I have never swam in a wetsuit so after jumping into the 56 degree water brrrrr. The suit felt great, I couldn't believe have easy it was to float.  It took me a little bit to catch my breath but then settled in to a good rythm. I didn't get spooked like I thought I might. I am sure a start is way different but I cant wait to do more ows. I only have 7 days until my half marathon, I can't wait.

2011-05-13 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3498425

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

garrunning - 2011-05-13 8:05 PM So I couldn't take the pool anymore and had to tri my first ows. I have never swam in a wetsuit so after jumping into the 56 degree water brrrrr. The suit felt great, I couldn't believe have easy it was to float.  It took me a little bit to catch my breath but then settled in to a good rythm. I didn't get spooked like I thought I might. I am sure a start is way different but I cant wait to do more ows. I only have 7 days until my half marathon, I can't wait.

wet suits help you find that balance point easier by bringing your legs up so you are more hydrodynamic.

love them

2011-05-13 10:32 PM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

WHO IS RACING THIS WEEKEND?????????????????????????????????

I am riding the Wine Country Century tomorrow.  Not really a race.  More of a touring experience.  I will most likely ride with my dad and pull him along , unless he decises to kick my butt on the hills!

2011-05-14 3:56 PM

User image

I am "running" this weekend -- not racing, lol.  I did a Running with the Cows half marathon this morning with a fun group of fellow Half Fanatics.  I'll see if I can post a picture.  It was slow but we had fun chatting.  

The rest of the ladies are doing the Five Trails Half in Leavenworth, KS tomorrow and I am considering it.  I am really not in shape to do 26.2 in two days but we'll see.  I am usually crazy enough to go for a challenge!

2011-05-14 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

so the other day I was supposed to do about a hour at race pace (plan said 10-15 bpm lower than LT (139-144)) in intervals (3 x 20 min) during a 3 hr ride and man oh man did that hurt.  I honestly couldn't do it.  I changed my target HR to around 15-20 lower than LT (134-139(I wonder if my LT has changed in the last couple months?) and I was still beat after that.  I was able to keep my HR there though and generally around 137.  My LT is 154.  The entire ride was HIM ride length (90km).  I had planned to shoot for 140 bpm (15 under LT) for my HIM but now I'm thinking I should shoot for 20-25 below (Z2).  Any advice?

OTOH, had a great 1:30 run today and was totally stoned afterwards.  I only get high from running - not swim or bike.

2011-05-14 6:17 PM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

finished up the ride this morning.  It took a little over 4:30 for our 65 mile (metric century).  Road the whole way with my dad.  Pulled him most the way, then he would sneak by my when I was dogging it.  Ate lots of food, talked with people and had great weather for riding. 60* and overcast!

Hope everyone training/racing went well!

Congrats Jacqui! Be careful with running another one tomorrow! Use your judgment!

Edited by linfieldpt 2011-05-14 6:18 PM

2011-05-15 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3498440

User image

Veteran
linfieldpt - 2011-05-13 9:31 PM

garrunning - 2011-05-13 8:05 PM So I couldn't take the pool anymore and had to tri my first ows. I have never swam in a wetsuit so after jumping into the 56 degree water brrrrr. The suit felt great, I couldn't believe have easy it was to float.  It took me a little bit to catch my breath but then settled in to a good rythm. I didn't get spooked like I thought I might. I am sure a start is way different but I cant wait to do more ows. I only have 7 days until my half marathon, I can't wait.

wet suits help you find that balance point easier by bringing your legs up so you are more hydrodynamic.

love them

I felt the wet suit was like cheating, I'm glad its legal

Went for a 6 mile run last night, it felt good finished it in 50 minutes. Woke up this morning and did a 16 mile bike ride with very windy conditions. The news was saying 60 mph gusts!! I was going down a hill that I usually go 22-25 mph without trying and I was standing up sprinting it at 11 LOL It was still a great workout but wow the wind sucks or I mean blows. Hope everyone had a good weekend!!!

2011-05-15 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3500024

User image

Went for a 6 mile run last night, it felt good finished it in 50 minutes. Woke up this morning and did a 16 mile bike ride with very windy conditions. The news was saying 60 mph gusts!! I was going down a hill that I usually go 22-25 mph without trying and I was standing up sprinting it at 11 LOL It was still a great workout but wow the wind sucks or I mean blows. Hope everyone had a good weekend!!!

Isn't the wind an awesome resistance workout!  LOL.  Sounds like a great workout nevertheless!

2011-05-15 6:43 PM

User image

I did end up doing a second half marathon this morning.  I guess 26.2 running miles this weekend is a good workout, lol.  My knee felt pretty good.  The only issue I had was a calf cramp in the last half mile Saturday, and then the same calf cramped up from miles 11-13 today.  I had to walk part of a steep downhill  leading to the finish today which just broke my heart.  What a waste of a downhill!  Other than the pesky leg muscle I felt even stronger today than yesterday.  

Anyway, it was a fun challenge and I'm glad I did it.  I will take it easy running this week but hit the biking and swimming hard.  

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Jacqui

2011-05-15 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3500376

User image

Regular
Minnesota
willrunforchocolate - 2011-05-15 6:36 PM

Isn't the wind an awesome resistance workout!  LOL.  Sounds like a great workout nevertheless!

You guys have way better attitudes than I do--I was kind of furious in a pointless way today, climbing hills with 25 mph gusts--though I loved the part where the wind was at my back. 

Lots of strong swim and bike workouts this week and I may just be over my streak of running injuries. For the past couple of weeks, I have run no more than  1-2 miles at a time because of a nagging ache/ pain in the inner heel/arch. (a mystery, but saw PT for myofascial work and pain now gone.)

I've got a duathlon (5K, 33K, 5K) coming up in 2 weeks, but want to be careful not to re-injure or create a new injury.  So, I have this idea that I should run a bit more often in the two weeks leading up to the duathlon--maybe 4 days instead of 3 days--but for short durations of 20-30 minutes and at a quicker pace than usual.   Any thoughts on this as a strategy?

2011-05-15 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3500390

User image

Regular
Minnesota
willrunforchocolate - 2011-05-15 6:43 PM

I did end up doing a second half marathon this morning.  I guess 26.2 running miles this weekend is a good workout, lol.  My knee felt pretty good.  The only issue I had was a calf cramp in the last half mile Saturday, and then the same calf cramped up from miles 11-13 today.  I had to walk part of a steep downhill  leading to the finish today which just broke my heart.  What a waste of a downhill!  Other than the pesky leg muscle I felt even stronger today than yesterday.  

Anyway, it was a fun challenge and I'm glad I did it.  I will take it easy running this week but hit the biking and swimming hard.  

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Jacqui

Glad you had such a good weekend of running!

2011-05-15 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3499210

User image

Regular
Minnesota
linfieldpt - 2011-05-14 6:17 PM

finished up the ride this morning.  It took a little over 4:30 for our 65 mile (metric century).  Road the whole way with my dad.  Pulled him most the way, then he would sneak by my when I was dogging it.  Ate lots of food, talked with people and had great weather for riding. 60* and overcast!

Hope everyone training/racing went well!

Congrats Jacqui! Be careful with running another one tomorrow! Use your judgment!

Sounds like fun! Hope everyone had a fun weekend of racing and training!

2011-05-15 9:06 PM

User image

Beth,

It's easy for me to be positive about the wind when it is not blowing in MY face, lol.  I struggle with windy bike rides as well, so I understand your frustration.

I'm glad your heel pain is gone.  I'll defer to an expert on the running advice.  I tend to err on the side of doing too much running and I've come to regret that at times.

Good luck!

Jacqui

2011-05-15 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3489303

User image

Thanks everybody! Wow, I can't believe I'm not a newbie anymore! One thing that really stood out for me (for anyone approaching their first tri) is how fast it was over. I mean, the race was easier both mentally & physically than most of my training! And so many months of work leading up to the race, but then you're so in the moment and it's over before you know it. So a) don't stress - if you've trained properly, and conditions cooperate, a Sprint is likely gonna be a breeze and b) SAVOR EVERY MINUTE cos it just flies by. I even enjoyed getting passed by probably dozens of people on the run. I had a big grin on my face and wasn't even looking at my watch.

Thanks for all the support & training tips! Not sure I'll fit another tri in this season since I have a lot of other stuff planned, but I'm already looking forward to next year! I want to do the same Sprint again and improve my PR, plus attempt at least one sprint, if not more, with an open-water swim. I'm also going to consider upping my distance to Olympic. I know I can do it now!

Jacqui, I agree with everyone else who commented. While mentally, your race wasn't where you wanted it, you succeeded in racing without pain and I hope you can appreciate what an accomplishment that is in itself. As you know, structuring your eating habits & nutrition better will help even if you didn't change anything about your training. Food is as much a training challenge as getting out the door to run. Get back on top of it and your times will drop off with the pounds! You are awesome and there's always another race.

So glad to here this - I am so concerned that I won't possibly be able to do all three eventson the same day, but I am putting in my base hours so I will trust you!!  Unfortunately the tri that I am doing for my first is more Olympic than Sprint, but that's what I get for signing up for something I had no idea about    Good Job!! You are an encouragement to me and all I am sure.

2011-05-15 10:03 PM

User image

ok - brick for me meant my calves felt like bricks.  did work through it though.  Unfortunately last week was painful in every way - wiped out on my bike four times in town.  In front of Dairy Queen, in front of son's school, in friends driveway, and in front of UPS driver.  Seems like I might have made a bad judgement call with the bike shoes and clip less pedals - please tell me I am wrong.  I can get one un-clipped, but then I fall to the right and it's too late.  I have lots of bruises   I can, at least, always laugh at myself which I am finding is very useful.  Also, last week I had short distances, but felt like I could barely make it!  I am hoping to chalk it up to PMS, but the verdict isn't in on that one yet.  3 1/2 mths of training and I could barely make it through a 4 mile run - is that normal?  I had much better luck today - 18 mile bike and 1 mile run after in one hour total, which for me is a record.  (it was pouring down rain, so this was in the gym, but I am still happy)  I am finding the back of my left ankle is hurting, like right above my heel.  It seems like I need to stretch it somehow but can't figure it out - any secrets?  Still taking a ton of water in on swim, can't seem to find the "trough" or whatever area there is supposed to be for me to breathe without choking, but I am just keeping on swimming hoping it will click.  Hope you all had a good weekend - Husband gone this week, giant fundraiser dinner for daughters school which I am head of, taking son to hand surgeon tomorrow, big training week - this tri thing is not an easy fit into a busy schedule, but the exercise is a welcome break.     Dear Monday, please be kind to everyone. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30