BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-01-25 11:29 PM
in reply to: #4011097

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
Erin - Never been in a swim squad of any sort but remember a guppy is still a fish so you'll be fine.

2012-01-25 11:32 PM
in reply to: #4011349

Extreme Veteran

Go for it Andrea - you're already getting chlorine in your eyes, you may as well get it all over your body.

Is there a way you can practice your swimming while son practices his so you don't have to juggle time?

2012-01-26 4:24 AM
in reply to: #4011498

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Erin, I think you will like Masters... there are probably lots of swimmers that are right where you are and probably some slower too!  You'll do lots of intervals and drills but best is that you'll have a coach that will help tweak your technique.  They will put you in a lane according to your speed, so don't worry that you'll slow people down.  As you get better, you get to move up!  I bet you'll get more yardage in too, plus swimming with other people just naturally makes you want to swim faster either to keep up or stay ahead.  Let us know how you like it!!

Andrea, aren't you the lucky girl... being chose for 2 tris!!  20/20/20, now that's MY kind of tri, I would kill it on the swim!!  Equal time for all 3 sports, oh yeah!!

2012-01-26 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4011498

User image

Veteran
suzielea - 2012-01-26 12:32 AM

Go for it Andrea - you're already getting chlorine in your eyes, you may as well get it all over your body.

Is there a way you can practice your swimming while son practices his so you don't have to juggle time?

I can't practice at that time as that pool is full of children.  I go to a different pool near my work at lunch when I ca drag myself there.  Swimming is my strength, but the drive, getting dressed, leaving my nice warm office... tend to hold me back at times.

2012-01-26 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4011566

User image

Veteran
hildekq - 2012-01-26 5:24 AM

Erin, I think you will like Masters... there are probably lots of swimmers that are right where you are and probably some slower too!  You'll do lots of intervals and drills but best is that you'll have a coach that will help tweak your technique.  They will put you in a lane according to your speed, so don't worry that you'll slow people down.  As you get better, you get to move up!  I bet you'll get more yardage in too, plus swimming with other people just naturally makes you want to swim faster either to keep up or stay ahead.  Let us know how you like it!!

Andrea, aren't you the lucky girl... being chose for 2 tris!!  20/20/20, now that's MY kind of tri, I would kill it on the swim!!  Equal time for all 3 sports, oh yeah!!

Erin, I agree with Hilde that Masters should be great.  I'm jealous.  Most coaches know tons of great drills and swimming with others really is encouraging most of the time.

Hilde, I'd love an equal distance outdoor tri.  That would give me a good lead on most of the pack.  Equal time indoors is good too.

2012-01-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4011657

User image

Expert
Missouri
rustymom - 2012-01-26 6:46 AM
suzielea - 2012-01-26 12:32 AM

I can't practice at that time as that pool is full of children.  I go to a different pool near my work at lunch when I ca drag myself there.  Swimming is my strength, but the drive, getting dressed, leaving my nice warm office... tend to hold me back at times.

This is my main thing with swimming too.  Plus the fact that it's a small pool with only 3 lap lanes and very limited lap swim times.  I may have to start using the other rec center - it's farther away but has a separate lap pool and more lap swimming times. 

Congrats on getting picked for the indoor tri and Happy Belated Birthday!

2012-01-26 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4009910

User image

Expert
Missouri
hildekq - 2012-01-25 8:50 AM

Hello MMMers!  I just got finished checking today's logs and there seemed to be a theme going on....

"I'm really tired, I'm getting sick, etc".... Most of you have really been logging those peachy days all month so far, and if you are like me, after being pretty lazy during December.  It's easy to go gung ho all out at first, but now we are in Week 4, and the body is getting tired.  Dont' be afraid to take a rest day or two to recharge.  I did last week and it really helped both with my motivation AND physically I felt so much better when I started again.  No sense getting burned out in the off season!!  You may want to reel it back a bit next week, cut your volume a little, go a little easier and let the body strengthen.  Don't worry, I'm not THAT much of a b!tch to crack the whip ALL the time! 

My husband came home just last night and told me that the flu was making the rounds where he works.  I told him to stay away from me but it's probably already too late - I'm sure I've already been exposed.  Next week is a cutback week for me so I'll be taking it easy for a while.

2012-01-26 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4011097

User image

Veteran
Austin
erinrockrun - 2012-01-25 5:33 PM

Anyway, the hubby and I are getting ready to join the Masters swim program.  I'm finally confident enough in the water to give it a whirl, although I'm still a bit nervous about it.  Supposedly, the program here is great and the main coach is a 72 year old lady who is just a swimming legend, Susan B Cox.

Any words of advice for what to expect with a Masters program?  I still feel like a guppy; only been swimming a few monthsTongue out

I spent a long time avoiding joining Masters, I was too scared of being with a group.  I finally did in September and was so nervous the whole time.  Now, I can't swim without a group.  I love having a structured workout, I love having others to swim with, I love pushing myself in ways I just couldn't do by myself, and I love having someone give me tips.  I use to always worry that I was doing something wrong and was wasting my time practicing something incorrectly.  Now I still do things wrong, but at least I know there is someone watching and helping me more in the write direction.  I hope you love it, way to go!  

2012-01-26 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

New user
KY
Thanks for all the encouragement about Masters Swim, guys!  Really looking forward to it.  We will be test-driving (or "test-swimming") tonight.  Can't wait to meet the coach and get in the pool.  It's a gorgeous pool at the University.  Still a little nervous about being such a novice swimmer (I don't even do flip turns), but I guess I can only improve from here.   The day I can finish mid-pack in a tri swim will feel like even more of an accomplishment than finishing first or second overall in the run and bike.  It has been a goal for sooooo long and has been such a struggle that I can not imagine the feeling of accomplishment when (or if) I get there.  Thanks for all your support, this is a great group!
2012-01-26 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4012630

User image

Extreme Veteran
I can't wait to hear how your Masters swim goes. My class isn't technically "Masters," but it's the same idea. I started going 1/week maybe a year and a a half ago. I was very intimidated at first, because I'm such a bad swimmer, but they made me feel very welcome, and Coach has helped my technique SO much. Now that my work schedule allows me to get to 2 classes/week, I'm noticing some real improvements. I, too aspire to be middle of the pack. I don't know if I'll ever get there, but as long as I'm not last, I'm ok! My only goal for IMAZ is just to get out of the water before hypothermia sets in!
2012-01-26 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3998846

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

hildekq - 2012-01-19 5:22 AM Well, our resident Daddy-in-waiting, (aka Shawn aka Sulcus) is waiting no longer.... hope on over to his log for full details, and I really didn't want to steal his thunder, but our future MMMer is HERE!  Guess he's been too busy being a new Dad to shout out the news!

Hilde - a very belated thanks to you and all the MMM'ers who stopped by.  Things are starting to settle down into the usual parenthood issues, rather than all of the additional ones that we were coping with.

I know that I have been a poor teammate in terms of participation and inspirations but I will hopefully be able to get into a routine soon.  Also, I finally added everyone who had me listed as a Friend but was not on my list so you can see my very sparse and boring training log.  If I've missed you or you are just now adding me as a friend because I was so tardy, please let me know.  

Now, it's on to drawing up my goals for 2012...yeah, I'm behind on lots of stuff!

2012-01-26 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4011657

Extreme Veteran

Andrea - that makes sense. As for the "getting dressed" thing. I usually put my swimsuit underneath my normal clothes that way you just go to the pool, strip (to the swimsuit), swim, and get dressed again - if you don't want to be wearing a wet swimsuit under your clothes at the office after you'll have to remember a change of underwear to change in to though

Janet - go with whichever pool works for you. HOpe you've avoided the worst of the flu

Shawn - You're not behind, you just had other things on your mind. Oh I did a "baby triathlon equipment" post a few pages back - may be worth looking at if you want to involve baby in your training (aka look after baby while training)

2012-01-26 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Erin, I hope you enjoy your masters practice tonight.  For me, the anticipation of going the first time was more nerve-wracking than the actual swimming with the group.  They were all very welcoming once I motivated to go!  I had minimal swimming experience when I started with my group a little over a year ago (I could do freestyle but not well and definitely not fast), but the group energy, drills and consistency of training with the same group have really helped my swim!  I'm sure you'll see the benefits too in no time!  Just keep with it!! 
2012-01-26 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

Sadly, all the Masters swim groups are no where near where I live.  But, the local community college allows you to buy a membership for the semester, and it gives you 3 free classes of any swim class you want.  They have an intermediate swim class that I was looking at...basically a 'you know how to swim...here's how to swim better' kind of thing.  

The last 2 weeks have been insane for me.  I've been studying like a crazy person for my state paramedic test, and took it Tuesday, but I have to wait till next week sometime to get my results.  Honestly, I don't think I studied that hard for any class in both my degrees combined.  Lots of drama at teh firehouse too, and since I'm an officer and it's my duty week, it's my job to sort things out.  Now I know how Hilde must feel...I feel like a kindegarden teacher!  But, I kicked my butt to zumba tonight, where I got my butt kicked, and am now motivated to get back on the training wagon.  Thanks to everyone who's been checking in on me. 

2012-01-26 11:45 PM
in reply to: #4013392

Extreme Veteran

Jen - Woohoo on the butt kicking Zumba. Good luck with the test and that class sounds perfect. I'm looking to do a repeat of my intensive swim clinic next holidays (Easter) for the same approach.

As to the masters swimming thing - we only have squads here and since they start at 5am and I'm usually still tucked up in bed - with no interest of getting up til they've finished I'll stick to swimming alone - I'm starting to get used to sharing lanes at least now - except that I lose count of the laps when the sharer happens to be a cute and fast guy,lol.

2012-01-27 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Andrea - Happy Belated Birthday!!

Erin - I hope you enjoy your Masters group.  Swimming with a group will be lots of motivation.  Also have a set time every week that you paid for!

Shawn - Congratulations on your new baby!  Is a baby jogger planned?  Those things look like they make for a killer workout.

Gnome - Good luck on your test!  

Swimming:  I am fortunate to have a gym that is two blocks from my work.  It take me 6 minutes to walk there and has a pool.  I can get a 30 minute swim in over the lunch hour.  The pool has four lanes.  I always have a lane to myself.  As I near my HIM, I will get to work early twice a week and extend the swim session to 45 minutes or so.

My iPod is fixed!!  Make my running go by so much faster and easier.  I hear music instead of labored breathing.

2012-01-27 8:14 AM

User image

New user
KY

Kristen, I agree!  Yes, it was very nerve-wracking going the first time (last night) and even starting out because I could not seem to get the very first, basic drill (a floating drill). I have only done kickboard drills, pull buoy drills and a little catch up, but I felt like a kindergartner trying to figure it out.  Thankfully, the rest of the drills came easier, and the coach didn't see any major flaws.  She said I have the right concept, and we can tweak a things on the technique.  I'm heading back today.

Jen, best of luck on your paramedic test results!  I can't imagine how hard the studying must have been.  I admire anyone who goes into that profession!

Melanie, your gym is in the perfect location.  Can't beat a 6 minute walk!

And here's some good news.  I did a boot camp class yesterday morning that incorporated about a half mile of running.  I took the running easy.  But so far, no pain!  That is a good sign going into the reverse tri Sunday.  Someone just asked me if a reverse tri is considered an "irt" lol.  Anyway, if all goes pain free after the weekend I have a feeling it might be time to get back into running.  Absolutely cannot wait. I do well on the bike but I don't love it, I love swimming but don't excel at it, but I love running and do well at it.  So you can see which of the three disciplines is my favorite!

2012-01-27 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4013793

User image

Veteran
Austin
Thanks everyone for all the great racing advice!  I keep reading it over to calm my nerves, and it has been helping so far.  Thank you, thank you!!
2012-01-27 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawn, I just added you as a friend, but it looks like I'm not on your friend's list.  Please add me.  Thanks, Andrea
2012-01-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4014084

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

rustymom - 2012-01-27 11:00 AM Shawn, I just added you as a friend, but it looks like I'm not on your friend's list.  Please add me.  Thanks, Andrea

Done!  Thanks for adding me and sorry I missed you.  

2012-01-27 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4012944

User image

Regular
"get out of the water before hypothermia sets in". Tammy IMAZ is in Arizona not Wisconsin!

Edited by joes 2012-01-27 10:16 AM

2012-01-27 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
I actually made it to the pool today!
2012-01-27 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4014728

User image

Expert
Falls Church

rustymom - 2012-01-27 2:13 PM I actually made it to the pool today!

Yeah!!!

2012-01-27 3:29 PM

User image

Expert

TGIF, everyone! So sorry I've been AWOL much of this week-- it's been crazy at work (personnel reviews, job candidates about to arrive, start-of-term-teaching-nuttiness. OY.). But I've managed to update my logs and check in with everyone else's-- way to keep on keepin' on, MMMers! Once again, I am reminded of just how much WE ROCK!!

Enjoy your weekends!

Alex

2012-01-27 4:25 PM

User image

New user
KY
OK, advice needed.  I made an appt to get a bike fit next Saturday.  He told me I need to decide if I want to get the road bike fit or the triathlon bike fit.  During the season I probably road bike 2x weekly (20-40 miles each ride).  I really do not enjoy the bike as much as the swim or run, but I do pretty decent in the tris and dus on the bike leg.  The main reason I road bike at all is to be competitive in events.  Since I will not be able to afford a tri bike in the next year or two, my entry level road bike will be serving both purposes.  So do I go for the tri fit or road bike fit?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61