BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-20 12:36 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by everlong

Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by everlong

Hey Scott now that you're done with your IM............what's next?

See how fast I can get at halves. For the sake of my marriage really. Although I must admit yesterday the thought of another IM started rolling around in my head. Maybe somewhere that the heat index will be below 100 though.

On a related note I was asked by several people if I was upset with my time. I honestly thought that breaking 12 was realistic and good execution would put me closer to 11. That said I'm very pleased with how I did Saturday and today this validates it.

http://www.runtri.com/2013/05/ironman-texas-2013-results-analysis.h...

I had no idea about the heat until after the fact when I posted that a 4 hour marathon would put you at 11.5 but with that heat all bets were off. I'd be totally psyched with your time given those conditions

When I finally talk the wife into one it's definitely going to be one where the temps aren't like that. If I go outside the brand I'm 99% sure it'll be beach to battleship. If I go IM then AZ, FL, LP and Los Cabos would be the favorites.

I am super proud of Scott's performance, but I did have to remind him that I still have the faster IM PR and the faster IM bike split . . .

2013-05-20 12:37 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by enders_shadow

Congrats to everyone on their great races! Sorry I didn't get to meet anyone at the PowerSprint Tri in Richmond...I was chasing around hubby with a camera for the race. (It was his 2nd tri - the first one I did with him, so no pix...)

We had a busy weekend with the kids' tri on Saturday and his tri on Sunday. It was weird - usually I'm the one racing, so I was a little wistful on Sunday morning. But I got over it.

I have my 2nd swim lesson tonight. I've been working on the long glide, but I have SO far to go. I did a timed 1700 yesterday and ended up averaging 2:45/100m - AWFUL. Worse than the 2:30 I usually average over shorter timed distances. I realize I will make the cutoff for the HIM at that pace, but that's not what I want. I want to be in and on my bike well before the cutoff. Oh well - I know I've just started lessons so I shouldn't be antsy, but I am.

Finally, I saw a Sonic Endurance trisuit at the race on Sunday - very pretty!
Sorry we didn't meet up but glad you got to see the kit! It kind of stands out compared to all the Endorphin, CVE, and Richmond suits there. Congrats Maryland Matt! That is an awesome job!
2013-05-20 12:43 PM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Thanks everyone! It was a good weekend. I have started my race report just haven't finished it up yet. Always cool to meet people in the group! Swim seeding was much better. Swim was faster but not as good as I hoped. Bike was great but probably could have pushed a little more. Run was really good and felt strong the whole time. Dropped 8 mins total from last years time. It felt good when I first came in because the top three in my age group were the top 2,3,and 4 over all so I was in place to get 2nd in my age group Then reality set in and bam dropped to 7th haha :P Fast runners in my age group!
2013-05-20 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
2013-05-20 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
So I'm trying to pull a race report together. Getting all of your thoughts from a 12 and a half hour day into one coherent report is tough. Things I learned that I thought I'd pass along right off the bat.

1. For IM performance, food is fuel. It doesn't matter if it tastes good or if you like it. It's a means to an end.

2. Drink, drink, and drink some more. There is a reason they have the aid stations where they do. You should be just about to the end of your bottle of whatever around the time you hit the next aid station. This is a minimum. I had an extra, ultra concentrated bottle off the back and that was almost gone too.

3. Carry more salt tabs than you think. You'll inevitably drop some or need more than you plan on.

4. Pain will come and it will go during the day. There were times I wanted off my bike so badly or times I wanted to stop running and just go get an IV at the med tent. If you let it break you mentally you're done. I literally watched people break on Saturday. I also was at the finish line at midnight and saw some of the most emotional moments ever from people who refused to break for 17 hours. Trust me your body can tolerate a lot more than you think it can.

5. Smile. All day long. You'd be amazed at how it changes your frame of mind.

6. Ironman is worth every penny you pay and every hour you put it
2013-05-20 3:16 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

So I'm trying to pull a race report together. Getting all of your thoughts from a 12 and a half hour day into one coherent report is tough. Things I learned that I thought I'd pass along right off the bat.

1. For IM performance, food is fuel. It doesn't matter if it tastes good or if you like it. It's a means to an end.

2. Drink, drink, and drink some more. There is a reason they have the aid stations where they do. You should be just about to the end of your bottle of whatever around the time you hit the next aid station. This is a minimum. I had an extra, ultra concentrated bottle off the back and that was almost gone too.

3. Carry more salt tabs than you think. You'll inevitably drop some or need more than you plan on.

4. Pain will come and it will go during the day. There were times I wanted off my bike so badly or times I wanted to stop running and just go get an IV at the med tent. If you let it break you mentally you're done. I literally watched people break on Saturday. I also was at the finish line at midnight and saw some of the most emotional moments ever from people who refused to break for 17 hours. Trust me your body can tolerate a lot more than you think it can.

Well said!

2013-05-20 4:53 PM

User image

Originally posted by kidtri33

Thanks everyone! It was a good weekend. I have started my race report just haven't finished it up yet. Always cool to meet people in the group! Swim seeding was much better. Swim was faster but not as good as I hoped. Bike was great but probably could have pushed a little more. Run was really good and felt strong the whole time. Dropped 8 mins total from last years time. It felt good when I first came in because the top three in my age group were the top 2,3,and 4 over all so I was in place to get 2nd in my age group Then reality set in and bam dropped to 7th haha :P Fast runners in my age group!

You did Great! congrats
2013-05-20 4:55 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Originally posted by kaburns1214

Well said!

Shoot this is making me tear up. I so know what you are talking about. GREAT JOB!
2013-05-20 5:06 PM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

Originally posted by collyd123

Wow congrats to everyone who raced this weekend!! Race reports look great!

I have sort of been on injured reserve the past few days. I can't swim because the cut on my hand from the bike accident got infected . And I am sore and covered in bruises from the Warrior Dash on Saturday. I hope to get in a short run or bike tomorrow and see how much my body can handle. Still have to get my bike checked out for unseen damage. I think I just mainly need motivation to get back out there.

Good luck getting back into it and welcome to the group. Warrior dash sounds pretty cool....didn't realize you get that beat up though!
2013-05-20 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Awesome Scott! A true inspiration for all of us!
2013-05-20 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great report! Congrats on a well executed race Larkin!

2013-05-20 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kidtri33

Awesome Scott! A true inspiration for all of us!

x2! Truly inspirational!
2013-05-20 7:52 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

I have a Cobb V Flow Max and it feels good. Have you had a good bike fit? Makes all the difference. It also took me a while to get comfortable in the saddle for long periods of time.

I had a fit done at Fitwerx, and have been back several times. I am also on my 3rd(?) saddle. So far this has been the best of a bad bunch. I tried the V flow, and I'm now on an Adamo Prologue.
2013-05-20 7:55 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Oooeerr, this new layout is different.

I had a truly awful ride today. I am totally disgusted with myself. I had a 5 hour ride on the plan and ended up quitting half way through. I felt miserable, I messed up my nutrition, my legs felt like crap and then turned to jello. I am really mad that I called it quits, but I just didn't have it in me. I also have a new saddle sore the size of a freaking walnut. The 'ride' was followed by tears, F bombs and all sorts of bad words.

Just venting

I know you're in MA but we're doing a girls only ride (probably me and one friend who is doing IMLP and another who is doing IMMT) of the Rev 3 course next Sunday. It'll be a laid back pace and good company. If you're looking for some ride support and want to join us, you're totally welcome. It may help just to have some other people around to ride with.

Kelly, I would normally LOVE to come and ride with such good company, however this weekend I m heading back to NY to do a redemption loop. I need to mentally get through a good one. Thanks for suggesting it - please invite me again lol
2013-05-20 8:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Wow! some awesome racing going on. Congrats everyone.

Scott, you rocked it - GREAT JOB.

I just had to add this post ^^^^ is freaking awesome and SO inspirational. I know as I count down my days I'll be looking to this. Thanks..
2013-05-20 9:40 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Wow! some awesome racing going on. Congrats everyone.

Scott, you rocked it - GREAT JOB.

I just had to add this post ^^^^ is freaking awesome and SO inspirational. I know as I count down my days I'll be looking to this. Thanks..

x2. I was thinking the exact same thing.

2013-05-21 3:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations on hitting 20+ mph in a race! That's huge! Nice race report, Larkin. Fantastic job!
2013-05-21 5:30 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Regular
Originally posted by jarvy01

...hitting 20+ mph in a race...

Yeah, and that was just in the run!

Congrats, man. Awesome job...
2013-05-21 6:00 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Haymarket, VA
Rest day for me today, but getting a sports therapy massage tonight. Sometimes it is very handy to have a wife that is a massage therapist.
2013-05-21 6:36 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Extreme Veteran
3000 over/under swim this morning. LA Fitness can't seem to get water temperature right. They don't fix the heater in the winter so I swim in frigid water, and then they jack up the temperature to 90 degrees once it's warm outside. My face was so red when I got out of the pool today. People have come out of hiding to swim so it's lane sharing from here on out.

1:30 on the trainer later this morning with 5 x 5' all out inserted in the middle. The little boys have swim lessons this morning, and then we have one last soccer game tonight (swim practice + 3 games last night....yikes). Things will be winding down after this week as far as my kids' activities, and I welcome the change in pace. Mama is tired.
2013-05-21 6:40 AM

User image

Regular
Woke this morning still exhausted, and realized it's not from the exercise, but from the sleep deprivation. I got up Sunday morning at 3:30 in order to get to the venue and get everything set up in time. Had a long nap Sunday afternoon, but am still running a deficit.

I'm feeling a little guilty about it, but I'm giving myself another day off because I'm still so wiped out.

2013-05-21 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

3000 over/under swim this morning. LA Fitness can't seem to get water temperature right. They don't fix the heater in the winter so I swim in frigid water, and then they jack up the temperature to 90 degrees once it's warm outside. My face was so red when I got out of the pool today. People have come out of hiding to swim so it's lane sharing from here on out.

1:30 on the trainer later this morning with 5 x 5' all out inserted in the middle. The little boys have swim lessons this morning, and then we have one last soccer game tonight (swim practice + 3 games last night....yikes). Things will be winding down after this week as far as my kids' activities, and I welcome the change in pace. Mama is tired.

Yesterday my gyms pool was adding water (which they seem to do every Monday) and the pool was like an ice water bath the entire time. I have that swim workout tomorrow,but I won't be doing it nearly as efficiently as you. LOL!
2013-05-21 7:02 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Kuma

Woke this morning still exhausted, and realized it's not from the exercise, but from the sleep deprivation. I got up Sunday morning at 3:30 in order to get to the venue and get everything set up in time. Had a long nap Sunday afternoon, but am still running a deficit.

I'm feeling a little guilty about it, but I'm giving myself another day off because I'm still so wiped out.

Don't feel guilty. Let your body recover!!! You will be better for it!
2013-05-21 7:21 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by DDVMM

Yesterday my gyms pool was adding water (which they seem to do every Monday) and the pool was like an ice water bath the entire time. I have that swim workout tomorrow,but I won't be doing it nearly as efficiently as you. LOL!

My problem with the over/under workout is making the 200s all "overs." I have really focused on trying to make the easy sets easy and the hard sets hard, but sometimes I tend to move toward a moderate pace on the easy parts and mess it all up. I'm still a work in progress.

Not much longer until your first HIM. How are you feeling about it?
2013-05-21 7:22 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by DDVMM

Originally posted by Kuma

Don't feel guilty. Let your body recover!!! You will be better for it!

x2! Sleep and rest are so important.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86