Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-04-23 2:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by bulfrog

How does your strength throughout the day work? What sort of exercises are you doing? Strength and mobility is the first thing for me to get dropped so I like the idea of mini during work exercises.

I'd be interested to hear about that too

I use the 80/20 strength training plan from TP. It is a lot of body weight stuff, or at least stuff you can modify to be body weight stuff, if you don't want to go to the gym or if you aren't really fussy about what counts as a "weight". I've been known to do some of the sets with chairs, loaded backpacks, etc. For the most part, if you have a good set of bands and a sturdy doorway, you've got everything you really need to do these sessions. An example session:
Squats (goblet, or split, or regular)
Rolling side plank
Monster walk (side-step with resistance band)
Torsional Buttress (plank, but with one hand on the opposite shoulder)
Side leg Raise with resistance band (laying down, raise leg up in air)
Swiss Ball Hamstring Curl (or, I generally do elevated hamstring bridges, since I don't have a ball here)
Copenhagen (pure torture--laying on side, then put top leg on bench/chair and lift body and hold in side plank-ish position)
Single leg band passover (stand on the end of a resistance band on one leg, transfer the band back and forth between hands)
Single-leg press with resistance band (like a chest press, but standing on one leg and using resistance bands)

This was last Monday--it wrecked me completely for two days. I think it was the goblet squats. I do three sets of 8-15 (usually 8 for legs stuff, 15 for arm stuff). If I'm doing it at work, I usually do one exercise at a time, about once an hour or every 90' I'll get up and do one of the exercises. Takes about 5' for each one. I rarely get through all of them at work, but it is a start once I get home. If I do more than one exercise at a time, I end up starting to sweat, which I don't want at work. :P

Thanks for sharing. I don’t usually go to the gym (I hate it almost as much as I hate the pool) so usually do body weight and bands stuff outdoors. I do all the exercises in one session once a week (30 to 45 min) because in my mind it’s more efficient than doing 10 minutes 4 times a day. Also I am scared of getting hurt by doing stufff without warmup.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-23 6:22 AM

2023-04-23 4:01 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Bike this morning was good...4x10' in Z3, which was just enough to work out a bit of rage at a colleague. I woke up this morning to several emails congratulating me on winning an internal grant competition for interdisciplinary research. Sounds nice, but the issue is I didn't apply for any internal grants for interdisciplinary research. I found out through these emails that a colleague of mine with whom I had a brief conversation about the potential for collaborative work on a project a year ago took it upon himself to apply for the grant without even telling me...putting my name on it too. I'm irate. I could have done 4x10' in Z5 and I still wouldn't have worked off all of my rage. This is so far beyond the bounds of acceptable behavior I'm not even sure how to respond (and I will, but I need a beat to calm down, because right now, I will say things that can't be taken back).

Wowwwwww definitely not okay! That should NOT happen. Smart to calm down, and I may be behind, but I'm curious to hear how you approached it. Any of the researchers I work with would be livid if their name was connected to something without their approval or knowledge.

I waited until this morning to respond. I needed the time to cool off. To be honest, I'm still quite mad about it. I was honest with him. I said I could see he was excited about it, but I felt entirely blindsided and couldn't understand in what world he thought it appropriate to do that. I also told him that I need assurances that he will never do this again, if I'm to consider proceeding with the project (which, unfortunately, I'm very interested in doing) and that at this precise moment, I don't have time to do the project (which I would have told him if he had approached this in the correct way, by asking me before submitting the application!).
2023-04-23 4:04 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Thanks for sharing. I don’t usually go to the gym (hate is almost as much as I hate the pool) so usually do body weight and bands stuff outdoors. I do all the exercises in one session once a week (30 to 45 min) because in my mind it’s more efficient than doing 10 minutes 4 times a day. Also I am scared of getting hurt by doing stufff without warmup.

I do them as a continuous session most of the time, but sometimes I just like to break it up a bit. I do twice a week, but each session is slightly different than the other, which helps break up the monotony of strength training.
2023-04-23 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

How does your strength throughout the day work? What sort of exercises are you doing? Strength and mobility is the first thing for me to get dropped so I like the idea of mini during work exercises.

I'd be interested to hear about that too

I use the 80/20 strength training plan from TP. It is a lot of body weight stuff, or at least stuff you can modify to be body weight stuff, if you don't want to go to the gym or if you aren't really fussy about what counts as a "weight". I've been known to do some of the sets with chairs, loaded backpacks, etc. For the most part, if you have a good set of bands and a sturdy doorway, you've got everything you really need to do these sessions. An example session:
Squats (goblet, or split, or regular)
Rolling side plank
Monster walk (side-step with resistance band)
Torsional Buttress (plank, but with one hand on the opposite shoulder)
Side leg Raise with resistance band (laying down, raise leg up in air)
Swiss Ball Hamstring Curl (or, I generally do elevated hamstring bridges, since I don't have a ball here)
Copenhagen (pure torture--laying on side, then put top leg on bench/chair and lift body and hold in side plank-ish position)
Single leg band passover (stand on the end of a resistance band on one leg, transfer the band back and forth between hands)
Single-leg press with resistance band (like a chest press, but standing on one leg and using resistance bands)

This was last Monday--it wrecked me completely for two days. I think it was the goblet squats. I do three sets of 8-15 (usually 8 for legs stuff, 15 for arm stuff). If I'm doing it at work, I usually do one exercise at a time, about once an hour or every 90' I'll get up and do one of the exercises. Takes about 5' for each one. I rarely get through all of them at work, but it is a start once I get home. If I do more than one exercise at a time, I end up starting to sweat, which I don't want at work. :P

Thanks for sharing. I don’t usually go to the gym (I hate it almost as much as I hate the pool) so usually do body weight and bands stuff outdoors. I do all the exercises in one session once a week (30 to 45 min) because in my mind it’s more efficient than doing 10 minutes 4 times a day. Also I am scared of getting hurt by doing stufff without warmup.

Put me down as another who hates the gym. Although I do realise that as I get older I'm going to have to start doing more of that sort of stuff to fight back the ageing process. I'm sure Mike can advise on that. haha.

Gretchen has inspired me, so I'm going to give the 1 exercise every 1-2 hours during the day a try, although I get Nathalies point about getting it all done in 1 go, that sounds like a sneaky way to get some work done at essentially no time cost. Some push ups, squats, lunges etc. every day at the office is going to add up to quite a bit of strength work. (At least by my standards, where my last strength/mobility workout was in February)

Only question, and a very important one to a numbers geek like me, is how do I log this? #if its not on strava it didn't happen.
2023-04-23 5:34 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, Nice workouts as always. to be honest I think I would have missed the swim if it was still mid clean. Great commitment to the cause, too hard core for me.

@Nathalie, in the 2013 America's cup, NZ was 8-1 ahead of the USA in the final (First to 9 wins) and we ended up loosing 9-8. 3-1 up is good, but the fat lady isn't singing yet, enjoy the 'hopefully final' game. Nice work on the OWS. It's the best type of swimming, no question.

@Nicole, how did the race go?

@Me, Very happy with my week.

S: x1, 1000m 26min,
B: x3, 3hr 15min all zwift,
R x3, 3hr 30 min,

2 rides and 1 run with higher intensity work, the rest Z2, base building stuff. Swam for the first time in 4 weeks, and the first time before work in years, and broke 7 hours for the first time since early January. To top it off the weight loss continues its slow, but steady progress, Mondays weigh in another 0.5kg (1.1lbs) down from last week.

How did everybody else do this week?
2023-04-24 12:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Oh, I know, the fat ladys isn’t singing yet. 3 of the 4 games so faR in the final ended in away wins so I am not expecting a win just because we’re at home. In the quarter finals, we were 3-1 up and ended up having to play a 7th. So I am not counting my chickens yet, but it would be nice.
12 hours to go before the game starts, I am already nervous….

Good week for me too

Swim 1: 400m 10 min (yeaaah! Finally!)
Bike : 2: 67k 2h43
Run : 3 32k, 3h40
Strength: 1 45 min
Hockey games 1 home, 2 away, 2 wins

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-24 11:13 AM

2023-04-24 1:37 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Good week for me too

Swim 1: 400m 10 min (yeaaah! Finally!)
Bike : 2: 67k 2h43
Run : 3 32k, 3h40
Strength: 1 45 min
Hockey games 1 home, 2 away, 2 wins

I love that you're now including hockey games in your weekly totals!
2023-04-24 1:59 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day here!!! Very exciting. I slept all the way until 6:30 (after waking up at 4 and telling myself there is no way you are getting up at 4am on a rest day--go back to sleep!). It was glorious!

Woke up to a very nice email from my colleague explaining what has happened with this grant, which has turned into a giant mess because the university is doing things it said it wouldn't do (again!). It is a very long story, but it boils down to he may not have approached the situation in the exact right way, but that he didn't do anything unethical or dishonest. Which makes me happy.

2023-04-24 2:02 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

@Gretchen, Nice workouts as always. to be honest I think I would have missed the swim if it was still mid clean. Great commitment to the cause, too hard core for me.

A different workout, and I probably would have bagged it, but I'd already invested a lot into getting this workout in, so I didn't want to give it up easily. I'd had to rearrange the entire week of training because the pool was closed on Saturday (for the wedding, and my normal swim day). I got up at 4am to get in my 90' run before the pool opened at 6. Plus, it was the last workout of the week where I hit every workout, and the last of the training block where I'd at least started every workout (one ride I ended up bagging early). I wanted that solid week and block in my confidence bag.
2023-04-24 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Love the activity here and it seems everyone is progressing well. 

@Andrew:  re Strava - you could start a strength workout on your watch and pause it like 20 times a day

@Gretchen:  getting it done as always - I've also swam mid-pool-clean but nothing like after a wedding where the pool is a mess

@Nathalie:  we'll be cheering here this afternoon!  Go Lakers!!!

I got in a decent week all-in with a couple of swims, 5 rides, a couple of what passes for running nowadays and tons of strength and flexibility work.  Back is slowly improving so I'm going to try some light jogging this week.  I have a feeling it's not going to make a difference as long as I don't go off running 8 miles so we'll see.  Six weeks until my Oly.  Off day today. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-04-24 8:56 AM
2023-04-25 1:48 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
45' Interval run this morning, which went well. Later this afternoon is a 60' Z2 ride. Today is the only day this week I have two workouts. It is a recovery week, and I'm ready for it. I really felt tired on Sunday (after run/swim workout). Yesterday was a rest day--I was okay, but could feel residual fatigue in my quads. This morning, I woke up with good legs, but know I need some recovery this week.

2023-04-25 2:50 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thats' it! Hockey season is over

3-0 win last night (although 2 in a empty net at the end, so a closer game than that). It was great to be there. What a party!

Now, I can concentrate on tri-training. Or golf (once my hands have healed and I can hold a club)

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-25 3:29 AM

(IMG_0409.PNG)

(IMG_0408.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0409.PNG (1453KB - 6 downloads)
IMG_0408.PNG (1157KB - 6 downloads)
2023-04-25 3:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

3-0 win last night (although 2 in a empty net at the end, so a closer game than that). It was great to be there. What a party!

Now, I can concentrate on tri-training. Or golf (once my hands have healed and I can hold a club)

WOOT!!!! Congratulations!!!
2023-04-25 4:07 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thank you. I like to think I played my part (even if it was 0,00000001%).

Now, the pressure is on me because the last 2 times the team were Swedish Champions (2018 and 2021) I won a race the same year....

I have 3 small village races planned this season. I'll have to win one of them....

2023-04-25 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thats' it! Hockey season is over 3-0 win last night (although 2 in a empty net at the end, so a closer game than that). It was great to be there. What a party! Now, I can concentrate on tri-training. Or golf (once my hands have healed and I can hold a club)

There's something seriously wrong with you. 

Congrats - I was following the game on some weird European sports site.  No video, just updates.  Must have been a blast!  As I've noted, my Philadelphia Flyers have been horrible for over a decade and didn't sniff the NHL playoffs this year, so I got to cheer vicariously through a team in Sweden.

2023-04-25 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This morning was a 5:45 AM VO2 max bike ride, then a treadmill session with 5 x 1' jogging which went fine, then upper body and some evil lady core torture DVD.  All went well.  I can tell I took a relatively easy day Sunday and day off yesterday...legs had plenty of snap even at that early.

2023-04-25 7:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thats' it! Hockey season is over 3-0 win last night (although 2 in a empty net at the end, so a closer game than that). It was great to be there. What a party! Now, I can concentrate on tri-training. Or golf (once my hands have healed and I can hold a club)

Thanks

Congrats - I was following the game on some weird European sports site.  No video, just updates.  Must have been a blast!  As I've noted, my Philadelphia Flyers have been horrible for over a decade and didn't sniff the NHL playoffs this year, so I got to cheer vicariously through a team in Sweden.

wow! that's cool! thanks!
2023-04-25 7:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

This morning was a 5:45 AM VO2 max bike ride, then a treadmill session with 5 x 1' jogging which went fine,

so the back is on the mend?
2023-04-25 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This morning was a 5:45 AM VO2 max bike ride, then a treadmill session with 5 x 1' jogging which went fine,

It's trying.  It'll never be right until I get it fused, but I'm not in the mood for another surgery right now.  Of course, I was stretching afterwards and that hurt it a little.  SMH

2023-04-25 12:28 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Rest day here!!! Very exciting. I slept all the way until 6:30 (after waking up at 4 and telling myself there is no way you are getting up at 4am on a rest day--go back to sleep!). It was glorious!

Woke up to a very nice email from my colleague explaining what has happened with this grant, which has turned into a giant mess because the university is doing things it said it wouldn't do (again!). It is a very long story, but it boils down to he may not have approached the situation in the exact right way, but that he didn't do anything unethical or dishonest. Which makes me happy.

Glad he was able to fill you in and sounds like you were able to repair and mistrust that may have come out of this situation.
2023-04-25 12:30 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Right?! That looks so painful!! haha

2023-04-25 1:09 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!
I'm home and recovering from the weekend. It went really well!

Friday I got a very short ride in but waited too long and was too hungry and gave up pretty quick.

Saturday I woke up early, got to masters practice (got in about 2500 yds), followed by 2 football games. I thought I was going to take it pretty easy at football. I thought we'd have 5 girls and I'd just play every now and then. WRONG! We played 2 of the toughest teams we'll see this season, and 2 of the girls were so hungover, one didn't show and the other barely survived the first game, and spent the second one in the truck. I was already sore after they ended, then spent 5 hours in a car driving to NY. I couldn't get comfortable b/c my body was so sore...no bueno.
I got some stretching in that evening though, which definitely helped.

Race report:
Our wave started at 6:15am Sunday. I was the 3rd leg, which is the earliest I've run at this event and I really liked that.
My first leg was 4.9 miles and was mostly a steady incline, and it was probably about 7:20am when I started. My legs felt really tight in the first 2 miles or so, even though I stretched and did some mobility right before. This made me a little nervous. They started to loosen up and for the last 2 miles I felt great. I averaged around 8:22 pace, which I was really happy with, and felt really strong at the end. I didn't want to go too hard knowing I had 2 more legs still, thought my pace really surprised me at the end. Got about 11 roadkills (people I passed minus people who passed me).
My next leg (11:15am) was 4.7 miles, but almost completely downhill. I was FLYING. It felt so good to just let my legs go. It was gradual, so pretty much the most perfect leg possible. At the end it leveled out to be pretty flat, and I was starting to feel fatigue at that point, but that was probably only about .5-.75 miles. I finished around 7:50 pace. I was getting nervous b/c my team had stopped to let my friend's dog out, and I hadn't seen them pass a second time. Apparently they weren't expecting me that quick so got there right before I arrived lol.
My final leg started around 3:50pm, and was "only" 2.7 miles. The last leg is always the hardest for me because the lactic acid has built up a bit by now. Before each leg I made sure to stretch and do mobility, and stretched right after as well. I think I felt as good as I was going to. This leg had a downhill that led to an equal uphill, which is when I really struggled, but was able to push through the fatigue for the most part. I almost walked at one point, but was so ready to be done I just kept going. It ended pretty flat. I apparently ran it in sub-8 minutes, though it did NOT feel like it.

Overall I'm really thrilled with how it went. Our team overall totally crushed it. We had 2 people who seemed pretty fit but said they were 9ish minute milers. They did not include that's on trails. They were running around 7 minute mile pace all day...pretty incredible. They encouraged the rest of us to really push our legs. We all admitted that had they not been running at that pace, we would've probably taken it easier. We finished in about 11 hours and 38 minutes (77.7 miles total).

We had a few beers and some bubbly after, but were all so exhausted, I think I was in bed by 9:30. The race overall was great, though they definitely needed more port-a-pots. It's tough, b/c they need them all around the course, but they only had 5 at most places, and there are around 300 teams of 7 people each, so that's about 2100 people all using these between small windows of time. I would go every time I got the opportunity. Towards the end we were actually ahead of a lot of groups so it got easier, but I know the later teams probably still were dealing with the long lines. That, and some kind of lame food after, but that's a minor thing. We had an incredible time! Each year we get a little more prepared. Oh and I could actually walk the next day! The last 2 times I did it, I couldn't walk down stairs or hills for 2 days after. And now I'm pumped to train for next year!

2023-04-25 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

My family consider me a crazy sports nut who cares far too much... I have never suffered an injury supporting a team. Those hands are nuts. Way to go, and enjoy the spoils of victory.
2023-04-25 10:16 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

It's trying.  It'll never be right until I get it fused, but I'm not in the mood for another surgery right now.  Of course, I was stretching afterwards and that hurt it a little.  SMH

FWIW my father in-law has had back issues over the last few years, he had surgery to try and sort it out, the screws in his spine broke, and moved around requiring more follow up surgerys, and is not on a waiting list to get a cyst sorted (may or may not be a complication from the earlier surgerys)

Long story short, if I were you, I'd be avoiding spine surgery as long as you can. It is not to be taken lightly.

Besides, I saw on your strava your walk/jog intervals got you to 8ish min/km. That's acceptable pace. Your 75min 10k is well and truly on the cards.
2023-04-25 10:19 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hi everyone!
I'm home and recovering from the weekend. It went really well!

• ... And now I'm pumped to train for next year!

• Thanks for the race report NIcole, glad to see you had a great time. I've never done a team relay like that but looks like a fun time, especially post race beers and bubbles.

For your 2nd leg though, 4.7 miles downhill sounds like it would destroy your quads. It's faster yes, and in someways easier, but hard running downhill always smashes the body.
    New Thread
    Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
    Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland