BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-11-06 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3835453

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
Plainsman AU - 2011-11-06 9:08 AM

HOLY COW!  I am and IRONMAN.

Thank you guys for hanging in there and following me in.  It really means a ton to me and I can promise that you guys had a big part in getting me across the line...it was not easy. lol

Quick breakdown:

Got going with the swim and felt really comfortable.  Got way off course coming in on the first loop...was following the wrong set of feet.  Kayak guy was slapping the paddles at us to get us back on course, so that cost me some time.

I felt like I had room to put some effort into the bike.  Never pounded it at all, just kept comfy pace and worked with the wind as best I could.  Around mile 60 was one of those et oh moments when I got a sharp pain in my knee.  The last 50 miles, I basically took the pressure totally off my left leg and used my rt. leg for most of my power.  Still felt like I was killing it coming in, but I knew that I had room to use a little more energy, as my plan for the run was to start out walking anyway.  Peed 6 times during the bike, so must have been hydrated ...lol

Got off the bike through transition and started my walk, and  in less than a mile, my IT band in left knee pretty much felt like someone was hitting me with a hammer in the knee every step.  Luckily after another mile, it just hurt all the time.  This was actually better than with every step, and I just blocked it out.  Because I was favoring my right leg on the bike and with my limp, somewhere around the second loop my rt. IT band starting that feeling as if someone had a blade in my kneecap.  This was some relief, as it totally took my mind off my left knee...lol  At least changing it up a bit.  Fortunately met up with a BT guy (frnk36) who was in pain also, and we walked the last loop together.  We were laughing about the pain we were in, but at least we kept each other going at a steady, but slow, pace.   But made it in.

Congrats to William and Chris.  Awesome times.  Thanks to John and Linda.  Did not get to see Linda...Yet.  

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Barry, what an amazing feat, I don't know how you got through it and just reading about your pain makes me cringe. Seriously, you need to recover for a while after such an event. You are an inspiration! I agree with Andy that you are at the top of the list with your performance!Congratulations!!

2011-11-06 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2011-11-06 8:08 AM

Thank you guys for hanging in there and following me in.  It really means a ton to me and I can promise that you guys had a big part in getting me across the line...it was not easy. lol

Quick breakdown:

Got going with the swim and felt really comfortable.  Got way off course coming in on the first loop...was following the wrong set of feet.  Kayak guy was slapping the paddles at us to get us back on course, so that cost me some time.

I felt like I had room to put some effort into the bike.  Never pounded it at all, just kept comfy pace and worked with the wind as best I could.  Around mile 60 was one of those et oh moments when I got a sharp pain in my knee.  The last 50 miles, I basically took the pressure totally off my left leg and used my rt. leg for most of my power.  Still felt like I was killing it coming in, but I knew that I had room to use a little more energy, as my plan for the run was to start out walking anyway.  Peed 6 times during the bike, so must have been hydrated ...lol

Got off the bike through transition and started my walk, and  in less than a mile, my IT band in left knee pretty much felt like someone was hitting me with a hammer in the knee every step.  Luckily after another mile, it just hurt all the time.  This was actually better than with every step, and I just blocked it out.  Because I was favoring my right leg on the bike and with my limp, somewhere around the second loop my rt. IT band starting that feeling as if someone had a blade in my kneecap.  This was some relief, as it totally took my mind off my left knee...lol  At least changing it up a bit.  Fortunately met up with a BT guy (frnk36) who was in pain also, and we walked the last loop together.  We were laughing about the pain we were in, but at least we kept each other going at a steady, but slow, pace.   But made it in.

Congrats to William and Chris.  Awesome times.  Thanks to John and Linda.  Did not get to see Linda...Yet.  

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Really proud of the way you toughed things out yesterday.  Rest up, spend time with your mom and your kids and soak in the fact you achieved your goal.  When that is behind you, find the best sports med doc and PT and rehab the one thing you have put off for too long.

Nice job.

2011-11-06 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Plainsman AU - 2011-11-06 9:08 AM

Quick breakdown:

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Awesome race, Ironman!!!  Way to hang in there!!!  ... and a great day made even better:  Alabama lost.  

2011-11-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Congrats William and Chris!!!  Nice PR Julia, and sounds like Roni had a good race too.  

Doug, your work is awesome!  I am sure your coach will love the gift.  

I spent most of my weekend watching deer eat all around me; enjoyed a beautiful sunset last night and sunrise this morning, and saw a couple of coyotes wandering through.  I got a short run in yesterday morning and headed out for a longer run this afternoon.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

2011-11-06 2:35 PM

User image

Just checking in from a whirlwind at IMFL.  So many things to share.

First, and best part, met & hung out with John and his family.  More than awesome, and better than I ever imagined.  Loved every minute with them.

Watched a beautiful swim start and so many incredible athletes start their day.  The swim was beautiful perfect.  Stood at the swim exit as the swimmers were coming out of the water.  Have never had so many men in absoute top shape running at me and stripping!  Loved it.

Mid afternoon we made our way to the turnaround (1/2 way point) of the run to see Bree Wee.  I met her family and talked to her Dad for quite a while.  I know where she gets her strength/wisdon/awesomeness (word?).  He was wonderful.  It was hard to see her Mom watch as Bree came by struggling.  But it was funny to watch her son try to bring down a palm tree - obvilious to the fact his Mom was racing and struggling to keep it together (but he is cute). 

Watched the 1st place pro bring it in under 8 hrs (a first in North America).  Incredibly exciting.

Then the finish chute.  So many emotions, so many dreams came true.  Everyday people doing something incredible.  Watched a blind man finish with his leader, saw a newly engaged couple (proposal at the finish), caught a local (NC) athlete, and best - got to meet William.  I missed Chris and Barry, but I am sure our paths will cross soon.  Funny, at the end of the night I was exhausted and I had not even raced.  I'm sure there is more, but I am so tired I can not process everything....it will come back to me later and I'll be sure to share.

And last but not least, John drug me down to sign up for next year.  We're both in.  Smile

2011-11-06 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3835743

User image

Sounds like a fantastic day! Congratulations on signing up for next year! I hope all the Ironmen and the Ironvolunteers and our 50K-icicle have had a restful day today.

My RR is up!

2011-11-06 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Congrats to all of our Ironmen!  Sounds like it was an epic day for everyone.  :-)
2011-11-06 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Congrats to all the racers!!  As always, I am very impressed by your incredible efforts.
2011-11-06 8:25 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Looking forward to some epic RR's!

I know a lot of people spoke up about Florida next year. Either to race or support. John and Linda are in. What about the rest of the MG?

2011-11-06 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3836086

User image

Elite
san francisco
DougRob - 2011-11-06 6:25 PM

I know a lot of people spoke up about Florida next year. Either to race or support. John and Linda are in. What about the rest of the MG?

Spill it, Doug...my radar is detecting a reading....could be a defective radar, but not often.
2011-11-06 9:10 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
DOUG..................?!?!?!?!?!?

2011-11-06 9:22 PM

User image

DougRob - 2011-11-06 9:25 PM

Spill it
2011-11-07 3:20 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Plainsman AU - 2011-11-06 11:08 PM

Quick breakdown:

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

As a fellow IT band sufferer I can really feel your pain, that takes HUGE mental strength to complete your marathon with all that going on!!!But.....you're an IRONMAN so it was worth it!
2011-11-07 5:44 AM

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2011-11-06 8:25 PM

I'm a definite maybe on the spectator side with a volunteer shift mixed too. I've always wanted to catch and since MOO is out of the question, this would be a great experience.

2011-11-07 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3836254

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2011-11-07 4:44 AM

I'm a definite maybe on the spectator side with a volunteer shift mixed too. I've always wanted to catch and since MOO is out of the question, this would be a great experience.

Come catch me August 26,2012..... Yep I'm in.

2011-11-07 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3859545

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2011-11-07 11:56 AM

Woo-Hoo!  Congrats.  Maybe you can con one of the West Coasters to catch you.  I can only justify so many spectator trips and Fatty asked first

2011-11-07 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

CONGRATS TO ALL OUR IRONMEN!!!!!!!!

I am seriously considering a trip to Florida next year.  Won't be racing but would love to volunteer/watch.  Gotta check the race schedule for me next year but I'm very tempted.

Trevor - woo hoo!!!!    Funny how I remember talking to both Trevor and John in the middle of their training and they both said it would be at least a year or more before they did the big dance again.  Now here they both are registered for '12.  I can't give you too much crap b/c I was SERIOUSLY tempted to attempt IMFL registration yesterday.  Spending the day with IM fever as an on-line spectator made that itch pretty strong. 

2011 was a kick a** year for everyone in the MG.  So many people made such huge personal accomplishements.  PR's, injury recoveries, new distances, conquoring fears....lots of great stuff.  Can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for us!

2011-11-07 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Alright gang - I'm struggling even more than usual to stay caught up. 

So who has signed up in 2012 for what and where.  No more cryptic messages!  My poor brain can't compute.  Cry

2011-11-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3859545

User image

TrevorC - 2011-11-07 12:56 PM

Awesome. Way to give in to the addiction.
2011-11-07 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3862596

User image

tahrens - 2011-11-07 1:31 PM

CONGRATS TO ALL OUR IRONMEN!!!!!!!!

I am seriously considering a trip to Florida next year.  Won't be racing but would love to volunteer/watch.  Gotta check the race schedule for me next year but I'm very tempted.

Trevor - woo hoo!!!!    Funny how I remember talking to both Trevor and John in the middle of their training and they both said it would be at least a year or more before they did the big dance again.  Now here they both are registered for '12.  I can't give you too much crap b/c I was SERIOUSLY tempted to attempt IMFL registration yesterday.  Spending the day with IM fever as an on-line spectator made that itch pretty strong. 

2011 was a kick a** year for everyone in the MG.  So many people made such huge personal accomplishements.  PR's, injury recoveries, new distances, conquoring fears....lots of great stuff.  Can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for us!

IMFL foundation spots available.
2011-11-07 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
FYI: It looks like former MG member Jeremy Hagerman (JHag) is also racing IMFlorida  2012.

2011-11-07 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3867853

User image

DougRob - 2011-11-07 2:51 PM FYI: It looks like former MG member Jeremy Hagerman (JHag) is also racing IMFlorida  2012.

Yeah, okay, but what about current MG member DougRob?

2011-11-07 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3862602

User image

Champion
marietta
sdalessio - 2011-11-07 1:34 PM

So who has signed up in 2012 for what and where.  No more cryptic messages!  My poor brain can't compute.  Cry

hows this for cryptic.

there is one more person in this MG that is racing IMFL other than Linda and myself. 

edit.  this person has been busy trying to figure out how they are going to tell their spouse that they threw down the cash money since yesterday.   lucky for them i don't have spouses phone number.... yet.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-11-07 2:49 PM
2011-11-07 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3875331

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-11-07 2:46 PM

hows this for cryptic.

there is one more person in this MG that is racing IMFL other than Linda and myself. 

edit.  this person has been busy trying to figure out how they are going to tell their spouse that they threw down the cash money since yesterday.   lucky for them i don't have spouses phone number.... yet.

What coast?

2011-11-07 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3877470

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-11-07 3:56 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-11-07 2:46 PM

hows this for cryptic.

What coast?

its driving you crazy, isn't it. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298