BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2008-05-29 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1430957

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL!
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-29 12:29 PM
mila - 2008-05-28 10:31 PM
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-28 9:22 PM

Ia little note about the running - I just looked at my stats for last year - prior to the tri, I had only run 64 miles and change

this year to date I have 117 and change and I have 24 days before the race

wow - if anyone had ever told me I'd be able to accomplish that - well......... 

That is OUTSTANDING.  You are going to do great in your race...and why worry about a little race after what you have done with your job, family etc. this year...you have proven you can handle ANYTHING.

Steve

2008-05-29 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1361748

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hi--pretty quiet in here lately! I am still awaiting answers to my wetsuit swimming questions--re:breathing being different.  Just in case anyone knows.  The full question is a couple of pages back, probably from Sunday.  My computer is so slow I cannot afford the time to sit while pages load!  Hopefully the new one will be back online this weekend, so I can get back to my BT life!!!

I am heading to a 5 mile trail run pretty soon, with my sister. The sun just finally peeked out but I don't think it's gonna warm up any time soon.  I had to turn the heat on in the house today.    Sick of the weather, it's sooooo cold and gray!

I am having lots of problems with undergarments for my Oly.  I need to wear two bras so that is really confounding things.  That frustrates and angers me.  So....anyway....I've heard all the advice on BT re bras, I am just unable to wear only one if I run, no matter what bra.  Looks like it will be sport bra-tri top-tri suit-wetsuit.  Ugh.

Anyway, hope to see some posts on here once I am back from my run!!

2008-05-29 8:02 PM
in reply to: #1432231

User image

Melon Presser
Medusa_Ann - 2008-05-29 5:39 PM

Hi--pretty quiet in here lately! I am still awaiting answers to my wetsuit swimming questions--re:breathing being different.  Just in case anyone knows.  The full question is a couple of pages back, probably from Sunday.  My computer is so slow I cannot afford the time to sit while pages load!  Hopefully the new one will be back online this weekend, so I can get back to my BT life!!!

I am heading to a 5 mile trail run pretty soon, with my sister. The sun just finally peeked out but I don't think it's gonna warm up any time soon.  I had to turn the heat on in the house today.    Sick of the weather, it's sooooo cold and gray!

I am having lots of problems with undergarments for my Oly.  I need to wear two bras so that is really confounding things.  That frustrates and angers me.  So....anyway....I've heard all the advice on BT re bras, I am just unable to wear only one if I run, no matter what bra.  Looks like it will be sport bra-tri top-tri suit-wetsuit.  Ugh.

Hi, Leslie! The guilt, the guilt. I'm catching up in here ... really! Sort of!

The wetsuit's buoyancy may allow you to put less effort into propelling yourself forward, so that you use less oxygen and energy and need to breathe less. Your gut reaction to breathe naturally is correct. If you feel fine breathing/4 strokes, then do that. You clearly have the ability to breathe on either side, and also to do so in training (for balance and equal movement/development on both sides).

In races I've had the experience where some nasty chop and/or blinding sunlight is coming from one direction, and in that case I've just happily breathed on the other side, usu. alternating 2 or 4. So that's all it's really important for. Short races I've breathed every 4 or 5.

I'm sorry about the undergarment problem. I am sad to say I've read all the threads, too, and tried on just about every bra that's try-on-able, and I still cannot find a comfortable, unrestrictive, yet truly supportive sports bra.

2008-05-30 3:55 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Hi, Manatees! I'm back from my trips to SoCal and Yosemite and off to bed shortly, but I wanted to drop by here first, of course. I've missed you all! Well, I haven't missed Yanti and Dolores much, since I saw them so recently.

I did manage to get in a little bit of training in Yosemite. It was amazing -- I ran through forests, biked all over Yosemite Valley on a clunky one-speed, hiked a little, ate a lot, drank even more. I wish I was still there, except I've got this little race on Saturday...

Hope you all are well and happy! I'll be checking everyone's logs tomorrow and working my inspiring muscles.
2008-05-30 6:58 AM
in reply to: #1432231

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Medusa_Ann - 2008-05-29 7:39 PM

I for sure cannot weigh in on the bra issue.  I am the person that needs two padded bras to look like I have something on the top.   Ok for sports, not ok for that evening gown (lol!).

Since you seem to be so fluid in your wet suit my guess is you are using your legs a lot less, right?  Your drumsticks are oxygen hogs so that is probably one reason why you feel you need to breathe less often.  If it works for you I would go for it, especially since you said you were already swimming a straight line.  I am no expert (probably the opposite), but I would do what feels comfortable. 

For what it is worth, the weather in WI is not much better.  The last several mornings were in the 30s with highs in the 50s!

Hope you enjoyed your trail run.

2008-05-30 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1423887

User image

Expert
Medusa_Ann - 2008-05-25 4:37 PM

Hi all, I am feeling better now, thanks for putting up with me last week.  Wait, that's what I told my family, too!  Uh oh!  I realize I have plenty of fitness in the books, and plenty on the agenda, so I need to chill out once in a while.  Lesson learned.  Tomorrow is the hilly 100k which I am nervous about!! Gotta go buy some nuun and gel here pretty soon.

I finally got into open water to swim today, tried out the wetsuit beyond just a photo shoot (please see my albums if you aren't already aware of my dorkiness--and oh yeah, my avatar).  It did well, and so did I!  It was cloudy and cool--air was about 50, lake was???, but we swam out into the calm lake, right down the middle, almost to the end (it is a small lake, no motor boats allowed). I felt strong and fast and fluid, much better than I did last year, so I think swimming consistently all winter has really paid off.  I also swam in what seemed like a pretty straight line.  The woman I swam with veered left a lot so we ended up very far apart in the lake!  It was weird being out there semi-alone, but also peaceful and highly enjoyable.  I really hope I don't have to pool swim any more until next winter.

So here's my question about wetsuit swimming:  when I lap swim in the pool, in a swimsuit, I take a breath every three strokes, occasionally on the 4th or 2nd but average about 98% on every third.  While swimming today, I really didn't need a breath at all until the fourth stroke.  When I did every third, I found it felt like I was trying to breathe out of synch.  Is this just from being more floaty in the wetsuit?  Should I try to breathe every 5th so that I am doing both sides?  I am confused now!!!  My gut tells me to do what feels natural.  But I do want to hear what you guys think from experience!

Sorry for not weighing in on this, I guess I missed it or something.....

Anyway, I'm going to agree with the others and say that the wetsuit is making you much more buoyant. Instead of using all of that energy to keep yourself up and going forward, now you're just going forward, which is much easier. Today I was doing pull in the pool with a pull buoy and paddles and it is much less taxing and so I was breathing less times across the pool. I also think that there is an element of comfort involved. If you're comfortable it makes you relax and therefore need less breath.

I say go with it!

2008-05-30 9:43 AM

User image

Expert

Happy Friday Peeps!

I already jumped in the pool today and have a short run on tap for tonight. A short spin tomorrow will complete my week. How did everyone else do this week?

Positive Thought of The Day: Tuesday I was doubting my ability to get my weekly work in. I started going down the path of oh well and such is life, but I actually stopped myself, which is rare. I sat down and figured out how to manipulate the rest of the week and training schedule to work for me. It looks like I was successful (barring any unforseen incidents). Just chip away!

I hope everyone has a good Friday and a great weekend!

2008-05-30 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1433002

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
elheffe99 - 2008-05-30 10:43 AM

Happy Friday Peeps!

I already jumped in the pool today and have a short run on tap for tonight. A short spin tomorrow will complete my week. How did everyone else do this week?

Positive Thought of The Day: Tuesday I was doubting my ability to get my weekly work in. I started going down the path of oh well and such is life, but I actually stopped myself, which is rare. I sat down and figured out how to manipulate the rest of the week and training schedule to work for me. It looks like I was successful (barring any unforseen incidents). Just chip away!

Thank you.

2008-05-30 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
South Florida

Hi all!  Just wanted to drop a super quick note to let everyone know that I am indeed OK.  Unfortunately, I have been working at work - WTF is that all about? Didn't they get the message that work time is for BT?  Sheesh.

So sorry I have not been able to keep up with everyone - I hope all is well with y'all. 

Hopefully I'll be back soon.  This working madness has got to end; I mean, really...

2008-05-30 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Thanks for the feedback on the wetsuit swimming and the bra issue.  I think I will wear all my layers under my wetsuit on Sunday to see how it feels and make sure I can race that way!  ARGH.  Oh well.  It's still cold here today....gee, almost June, in the low 50s.  I seriously am considering a move to San Diego.  Really!

Some of you have visited my log and seen this, but if the rest of you want to read a little interview my friend did about my triathlon experiences, and see some pix (that have been around on BT already) here is my story: 

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/rundivarun/archives/139978.asp

Yes, I am nearly famous!  Hahahahahaha!!!!  Have a great Friday everyone.  I cannot get into everyone's logs right now, as my computer is acting up sooooo bad.  It took about an hour to get to this page just to post.  It is sad, but true.  Hopefully by Sunday our good computer will be fixed and I will be back to inspiring everyone again!!

2008-05-30 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1433924

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Medusa_Ann - 2008-05-30 3:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the wetsuit swimming and the bra issue.  I think I will wear all my layers under my wetsuit on Sunday to see how it feels and make sure I can race that way!  ARGH.  Oh well.  It's still cold here today....gee, almost June, in the low 50s.  I seriously am considering a move to San Diego.  Really!

Some of you have visited my log and seen this, but if the rest of you want to read a little interview my friend did about my triathlon experiences, and see some pix (that have been around on BT already) here is my story: 

Yes, I am nearly famous!  Hahahahahaha!!!!  Have a great Friday everyone.  I cannot get into everyone's logs right now, as my computer is acting up sooooo bad.  It took about an hour to get to this page just to post.  It is sad, but true.  Hopefully by Sunday our good computer will be fixed and I will be back to inspiring everyone again!!

Great article...I had no idea that we were in the midst of such greatness ...WTF...we ARE Manatees and we have Beth and Yanti...we are all GREAT...(sorry I forgot for a second.) Sorry that the weather and the computer have you down at the moment..but hey...only one more week till race day     

2008-05-30 4:01 PM

Master
Houston

Leslie-great article!!!

I am just chilling at the house today after some errands and lunch with a friend.  I think I will call this a rest day.  I have started on my decoupage project and will glue some more on that today as well. 

If you are racing this weekend, be safe and have a great time.

If you are just being this weekend, be sweet, take care and enjoy it!!!

2008-05-30 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1433002

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
elheffe99 - 2008-05-30 9:43 AM

Happy Friday Peeps!

sometimes the best thing we can do is to just chip away - actually in some ways that may be the best approach overall

I find that if I look at certain goals as a whole I am immediately convinced I cannot achieve them, but............

if I break them down into bite size pieces - aka chip away at them, suddenly I have accomplished more than I ever thought I could - funny how this applies to so many areas of life

so, IMHO - well done! 

2008-05-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1433890

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
yogus - 2008-05-30 1:52 PM

Hi all! Just wanted to drop a super quick note to let everyone know that I am indeed OK. Unfortunately, I have been working at work - WTF is that all about? Didn't they get the message that work time is for BT? Sheesh.

So sorry I have not been able to keep up with everyone - I hope all is well with y'all.

Hopefully I'll be back soon. This working madness has got to end; I mean, really...

Good to see you Sunshine!  I hope werk gets better soon!
2008-05-30 8:58 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Medusa_Ann - 2008-05-30 2:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the wetsuit swimming and the bra issue. I think I will wear all my layers under my wetsuit on Sunday to see how it feels and make sure I can race that way! ARGH. Oh well. It's still cold here today....gee, almost June, in the low 50s. I seriously am considering a move to San Diego. Really!

Yes, I am nearly famous! Hahahahahaha!!!! Have a great Friday everyone. I cannot get into everyone's logs right now, as my computer is acting up sooooo bad. It took about an hour to get to this page just to post. It is sad, but true. Hopefully by Sunday our good computer will be fixed and I will be back to inspiring everyone again!!

Leslie, that is such an awesome article!

Thank you so much for sharing  

2008-05-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1434125

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2008-05-30 3:18 PM
Medusa_Ann - 2008-05-30 3:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the wetsuit swimming and the bra issue. I think I will wear all my layers under my wetsuit on Sunday to see how it feels and make sure I can race that way! ARGH. Oh well. It's still cold here today....gee, almost June, in the low 50s. I seriously am considering a move to San Diego. Really!

Yes, I am nearly famous! Hahahahahaha!!!! Have a great Friday everyone. I cannot get into everyone's logs right now, as my computer is acting up sooooo bad. It took about an hour to get to this page just to post. It is sad, but true. Hopefully by Sunday our good computer will be fixed and I will be back to inspiring everyone again!!

Great article...I had no idea that we were in the midst of such greatness ...WTF...we ARE Manatees and we have Beth and Yanti...we are all GREAT...(sorry I forgot for a second.) Sorry that the weather and the computer have you down at the moment..but hey...only one more week till race day

as they say

birds of a feather........................

or manatees of a ?????

well you get the picture  

2008-05-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1434273

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Nette213 - 2008-05-30 4:01 PM

Leslie-great article!!!

I am just chilling at the house today after some errands and lunch with a friend. I think I will call this a rest day. I have started on my decoupage project and will glue some more on that today as well.

If you are racing this weekend, be safe and have a great time.

If you are just being this weekend, be sweet, take care and enjoy it!!!

you too

x2! 

2008-05-30 9:49 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Greatness indeed! What a wonderful write-up, and your thoughts were so sage. Well done, well done. I'm not sure what pic I liked best, but I think the super-hot one of you on the balcony all dressed up.

The rest of you MUST read this ... truly fitting for a fine Manatee. 

2008-06-01 3:52 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Everyone's so quiet this weekend! I hope that means you're all out training and/or racing and/or just having a great time. I ran my first half mary this morning -- it was *tough*, way more challenging than the sprints I've done, at least mentally -- but a lot of fun. I'll write up a race report once the official results are posted.

I have a somewhat related question: How often do you guys change your running shoes? I always heard 500 miles, but I've seen several people on BT mention 300 miles instead. It seems like more frequent is better than less frequent, but I hate to give up a pair of running shoes that still have a couple hundred miles on them. I'm right at 300 miles in my current pair. My knees ached a little in this race and my feet got kind of beat up, but I don't know if that's from the shoes being past their prime or from the circumstances of the race (high intensity over a long distance, plus a very flat course when I'm used to running hills), or both. Thoughts?
2008-06-01 6:11 AM
in reply to: #1436090

User image

Champion

Fielding - 2008-06-01 3:52 AM Everyone's so quiet this weekend! I hope that means you're all out training and/or racing and/or just having a great time. I ran my first half mary this morning -- it was *tough*, way more challenging than the sprints I've done, at least mentally -- but a lot of fun. I'll write up a race report once the official results are posted. I have a somewhat related question: How often do you guys change your running shoes? I always heard 500 miles, but I've seen several people on BT mention 300 miles instead. It seems like more frequent is better than less frequent, but I hate to give up a pair of running shoes that still have a couple hundred miles on them. I'm right at 300 miles in my current pair. My knees ached a little in this race and my feet got kind of beat up, but I don't know if that's from the shoes being past their prime or from the circumstances of the race (high intensity over a long distance, plus a very flat course when I'm used to running hills), or both. Thoughts?

Nice job on the half marathon.  Cannot wait to read the report.

I replace my shoes about every 300-350 miles, but it does depend on the surfact you are running on and the brand of shoe to some extent (I wear Brooks Adrenalines).  I can tell when it is time to change them because my lower legs start feeling a little achy post run and that almost always coordinates to the 300m+ mileage.  I usually keep the shoes to use as general purpose shoes for a while before sending them to the recycle bin at our LRS. Gets kind of expensive, but it is worth it for the body.

2008-06-01 8:06 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Suzy summed it up really well!

Here are a couple of additional thoughts 

Courtesy of Yanti's wisdom (I remembered this post and went back and found it  

RUNNING SHOE TIPS: 1. write the date you got them in Sharpie on the side, and log miles religiously. That way, you know for sure when you're getting to several hundred miles on them. 2. Better yet, if you like the shoes, get a second pair while that model is still available. 3. When you've put a couple hundred miles on the first pair, plan a run now and then when you can be home (or at your car) with just a little bit left to go (say, cool-down). Swap the pairs and do the final part of the run in the second pair. You'll break them in easier, AND you will feel without a doubt when the old ones just aren't giving you the same support the new ones are--then it's time to chuck 'em.

Also, here's a link to a nice little overview -

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/replaceshoes.htm 

2008-06-01 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1436171

User image

Champion
lastcall2003 - 2008-06-01 8:06 AM

Suzy summed it up really well!

Here are a couple of additional thoughts 

Courtesy of Yanti's wisdom (I remembered this post and went back and found it  

RUNNING SHOE TIPS: 1. write the date you got them in Sharpie on the side, and log miles religiously. That way, you know for sure when you're getting to several hundred miles on them. 2. Better yet, if you like the shoes, get a second pair while that model is still available. 3. When you've put a couple hundred miles on the first pair, plan a run now and then when you can be home (or at your car) with just a little bit left to go (say, cool-down). Swap the pairs and do the final part of the run in the second pair. You'll break them in easier, AND you will feel without a doubt when the old ones just aren't giving you the same support the new ones are--then it's time to chuck 'em.

Also, here's a link to a nice little overview -

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/replaceshoes.htm 

Good points.  I should have mentioned I have 2-3 pair of shoes going at once and alternate every day between the various versions.  My preference is to have two different brands or models of the same brand (right now I am using Brooks Adrenaline 6s and 8s).  That way you can get a slightly different foot plant per run which seems to help prevent injury.

2008-06-01 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Congrats on finishing your first half mary, Erin!
2008-06-01 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1436276

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Thanks for the advice! I do remember those tips and am very, very good about logging all of my miles (I didn't write the date on these shoes because I got them on, like, Jan. 1 -- kind of hard to forget!). I like Yanti's idea of easing into a new pair of shoes.

SSMinnow - 2008-06-01 8:23 AM

I should have mentioned I have 2-3 pair of shoes going at once and alternate every day between the various versions. My preference is to have two different brands or models of the same brand (right now I am using Brooks Adrenaline 6s and 8s). That way you can get a slightly different foot plant per run which seems to help prevent injury.

That's a great idea, especially since I'm not entirely convinced I'm wearing exactly the right shoe for me. That seems like it'd be a good way to try out another shoe without depending solely on it.
2008-06-01 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1436394

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
BunnyB - 2008-06-01 10:38 AM

Congrats on finishing your first half mary, Erin!

Thank you, Melissa!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47