BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-03-01 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1989439

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

hughes411 - 2009-03-01 12:16 PM Swim 5:44 Bike 23:16 Run 24:01 Total 53:01

Fantastic first Tri!!!

Congrats!

2009-03-01 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1989439

User image

Master
hughes411 - 2009-03-01 11:16 AM

Swim 5:44
Bike 23:16
Run 24:01

Total 53:01

Zoom!!! Great job! I hope you are pleased even though you wanted to run faster. Tell us more, tell us more! How did you feel? How did transitions go? What was the swim like? How was the course?

Congratulations. That is an awesome race!!
2009-03-01 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Elgin, Ok
Went out to fast in the swim. I kept telling myself to slow down and pace myself during the days leading up to the race, but I guess excitement took over and off I went. After the first 100 I settled in and found a good pace.
The bike was the best part. I felt really good.
The run was the part that I am not happy with. I just did not go out fast enough. I settled into a pace that was to slow. I do not know why I did not go faster. I was tired but I still had more to give. I just did not pick it up.
It is funny that I was worried about the bike and swim, and it turned out that the run "which I felt the best about going into the race" was the one that let me down.
They did not count ttransititons. It was all indoors. There was a starting pad at the beginning of the first lane of the pool and we did a snake swim throughout the lanes. There was a timing pad at the end of the last lane. Once you crossed the pad your time started and stoped when you passed the second pad. There were similar start and stop pads around the stationary bikes and run track.
It was nice since it was about 20 degrees here at the start of the race. It was also nice since equipment did not matter. A newby like me was not penalized for not having a wetsuit or expensive bike. All you needed was desire and a pair of running shoes.
2009-03-01 5:40 PM
in reply to: #1989951

User image

Expert

hughes411 - 2009-03-01 6:18 PM Went out to fast in the swim. I kept telling myself to slow down and pace myself during the days leading up to the race, but I guess excitement took over and off I went. After the first 100 I settled in and found a good pace. The bike was the best part. I felt really good. The run was the part that I am not happy with. I just did not go out fast enough. I settled into a pace that was to slow. I do not know why I did not go faster. I was tired but I still had more to give. I just did not pick it up. It is funny that I was worried about the bike and swim, and it turned out that the run "which I felt the best about going into the race" was the one that let me down. They did not count ttransititons. It was all indoors. There was a starting pad at the beginning of the first lane of the pool and we did a snake swim throughout the lanes. There was a timing pad at the end of the last lane. Once you crossed the pad your time started and stoped when you passed the second pad. There were similar start and stop pads around the stationary bikes and run track. It was nice since it was about 20 degrees here at the start of the race. It was also nice since equipment did not matter. A newby like me was not penalized for not having a wetsuit or expensive bike. All you needed was desire and a pair of running shoes.

Those are a few things I didn't think about. Good info to have, since my Y is doing an indoor tri at the end of March. I hadn't made a decision about it yet-but this could effect which way I go.

2009-03-01 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1989951

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

hughes411 - 2009-03-01 5:18 PM Went out to fast in the swim. I kept telling myself to slow down and pace myself during the days leading up to the race, but I guess excitement took over and off I went. After the first 100 I settled in and found a good pace. The bike was the best part. I felt really good. The run was the part that I am not happy with. I just did not go out fast enough. I settled into a pace that was to slow. I do not know why I did not go faster. I was tired but I still had more to give. I just did not pick it up. It is funny that I was worried about the bike and swim, and it turned out that the run "which I felt the best about going into the race" was the one that let me down. They did not count ttransititons. It was all indoors. There was a starting pad at the beginning of the first lane of the pool and we did a snake swim throughout the lanes. There was a timing pad at the end of the last lane. Once you crossed the pad your time started and stoped when you passed the second pad. There were similar start and stop pads around the stationary bikes and run track. It was nice since it was about 20 degrees here at the start of the race. It was also nice since equipment did not matter. A newby like me was not penalized for not having a wetsuit or expensive bike. All you needed was desire and a pair of running shoes.

Great job!   You got the first one down, thats what matters.  THe run on the first one is never really what you expect

2009-03-01 5:47 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
I would almost consider doing only indoor tris due to money. If I competed just to be in shape it would be a inexpensive sport to be involved in.

2009-03-02 7:04 AM

User image

Expert

Beginners questions:

The 4 mile race I registered for is this Saturday.

How should I structure my workouts for this week? Do I need to taper, for such a short race?

I haven't entered a race since July of '04. That was a 5k, and I don't remember having any real plan except to not run a day or 2 before the race. Plus, at that time, I was only running.

2009-03-02 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1990897

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-03-02 7:04 AM

Beginners questions:

How should I structure my workouts for this week? Do I need to taper, for such a short race?

I haven't entered a race since July of '04. That was a 5k, and I don't remember having any real plan except to not run a day or 2 before the race. Plus, at that time, I was only running.

No need to taper too much, just adjust your schedule so that WEd-Fridays workouts are ones that are the least stressful on the body.  

Good luck!  Are you excited?

2009-03-02 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Great job, Jon! Congratulations triathlete!!!
2009-03-02 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Snow joke... well I didn't have any real expectations for this one. Mostly was doing it as a fun long training run. My goal was to have fun and not get injured. I also, kind of, wanted to beat last year's time, since that was my very first half mary. I have gotten quite a bit faster since then, so I figured I could do that without having to push much. As it turned out my time was about the same as last year, but the road was quite a bit worse this year. It was completely snow packed and slick, so it really wore on my legs. I felt pretty good throughout and did enjoy myself, but my calves and achilles took a beating and are still super tight. Hoping they recover quickly because I don't have a lot of time for recovery with my full marathon 5 weeks away.
2009-03-02 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Awesome job on the 3 hour trainer ride Kyla! That is seriously TOUGH! You are an inspiration!!!!

2009-03-02 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1991458

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2009-03-02 11:27 AM

Beginners questions:

No need to taper too much, just adjust your schedule so that WEd-Fridays workouts are ones that are the least stressful on the body.  

Good luck!  Are you excited?

Thanks. I am excited- but nervous since it's my first in sooo long. Mostly, I registered to keep myself motivated and moving forward with my running goals.

2009-03-02 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1991644

User image

Master
roni_runnw - 2009-03-02 11:28 AM

Snow joke... well I didn't have any real expectations for this one. Mostly was doing it as a fun long training run. My goal was to have fun and not get injured. I also, kind of, wanted to beat last year's time, since that was my very first half mary. I have gotten quite a bit faster since then, so I figured I could do that without having to push much. As it turned out my time was about the same as last year, but the road was quite a bit worse this year. It was completely snow packed and slick, so it really wore on my legs. I felt pretty good throughout and did enjoy myself, but my calves and achilles took a beating and are still super tight. Hoping they recover quickly because I don't have a lot of time for recovery with my full marathon 5 weeks away.

Talk about tough, Roni!! This winter I have had my first real taste of trying to run in ice and snow and it SUCKS. I cannot even fathom the mental toughness to do that for 13.1 miles, and I can imagine your body is sore in some odd places. Congratulations on a challenging race. And if the conditions were better I'm sure you'd blow doors off of last year's time!

Rest up for the marathon! I can't believe it's only 5 weeks away! Do you have one more long run left? How long? You go, girl!!!
2009-03-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1990897

User image

Master

Beginners questions:

How exciting that you are racing on Saturday!!! I totally agree with Kellie -- don't do anything overly hard for the few days leading up to the race. You haven't done a race in nearly 5 years?! It will be such a treat for you. I can't wait to hear all about it.

It's a blast to hear about you guys getting out and racing!! Awesome! I don't think I'm doing anything until late May (triathlon). I'm in a long, dry spell here (opted out of a 1/2 mary in March), so I'll get my kicks through you guys!
2009-03-03 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1991860

User image

Elgin, Ok
You will do awsome. Once you get out there it will all come back to you. Have fun. We all expect a full report that evening.
2009-03-03 11:54 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Question about wetsuits. What are the advantages/disadvantages to sleveless vs. sleeves and Shorts vs. full legs

2009-03-03 4:31 PM
in reply to: #1994191

User image

Master
hughes411 - 2009-03-03 11:54 AM

Question about wetsuits. What are the advantages/disadvantages to sleveless vs. sleeves and Shorts vs. full legs

Sleeveless give you more shoulder mobility. Sleeves are warmer (duh!) and overall offer more buoyancy. Same with full legs -- your legs will be much more buoyant, which can be really helpful to keep you higher in the water (which helps make you faster!).

I opted for a full-sleeve/leg wetsuit when I purchased one. Early in the season our main training lake is around 55+ degrees and that is dang cold. Even at its peak it's only about 70, MAYBE 75 after a good heat wave.

I do notice my shoulders fatigue more in the wetsuit than in the pool or just in a regular swimsuit, but the buoyancy pay-off is worth it in open water, IMO.
2009-03-03 6:55 PM

User image

Expert

I rented  a full suit last year for the tri I was scheduled to do. My shoulders felt exhausted very quickly when I practiced in it one day.

I think this year I would rent a sleeveless (if I need one) just to be able to compare the 2.

I'll also add that I was really satisfied with customer service from Xterra. I messed up and ordered the wrong size for my husband, they overnighted the right size (no shipping charges) to me. Then when the Tri was canceled, they refunded the full cost of the rentals. I thought that was pretty amazing.

2009-03-04 4:50 PM
in reply to: #1992891

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

kkcbelle - 2009-03-02 5:54 PM
roni_runnw - 2009-03-02 11:28 AM Snow joke... well I didn't have any real expectations for this one. Mostly was doing it as a fun long training run. My goal was to have fun and not get injured. I also, kind of, wanted to beat last year's time, since that was my very first half mary. I have gotten quite a bit faster since then, so I figured I could do that without having to push much. As it turned out my time was about the same as last year, but the road was quite a bit worse this year. It was completely snow packed and slick, so it really wore on my legs. I felt pretty good throughout and did enjoy myself, but my calves and achilles took a beating and are still super tight. Hoping they recover quickly because I don't have a lot of time for recovery with my full marathon 5 weeks away.
Talk about tough, Roni!! This winter I have had my first real taste of trying to run in ice and snow and it SUCKS. I cannot even fathom the mental toughness to do that for 13.1 miles, and I can imagine your body is sore in some odd places. Congratulations on a challenging race. And if the conditions were better I'm sure you'd blow doors off of last year's time! Rest up for the marathon! I can't believe it's only 5 weeks away! Do you have one more long run left? How long? You go, girl!!!

Thanks Kyla! I have two long runs left before the mary, 18 miles this weekend and 20 miles next weekend. Hoping my legs will be recovered for this weekends run. My number 1 goal for the half was to not need much recovery, but it didn't quite work that way. Going to try a run tonight and see how it goes.

2009-03-04 4:58 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I LOVE my xterra wetsuit! It's a full sleeve and I have never used a sleeveless, so I can't really compare. My husband has very broad shoulders and loves his sleeveless because the full sleeve suits make him feel too constrained. So, I think some of it is personal preference. Renting or atleast trying on different types of suits would give you a better idea of what might work better for you. Like Kyla said, the full suits are warmer so you might also want to consider the temperature of your OWS.
2009-03-06 6:04 AM

User image

Expert

Need Advise:

I've been sick with a fever and stomach virus for the past 2 days. That means, I haven't exercised since Tuesday night.

I'm feeling better today, so what is the best way to prepare for tomorrows 4 mile run? I don't think getting to the pool is going to be possible. So do I go for a short run, or just take today as another rest day?

I think I need to accept that no matter what I do/don't do, I will be at the back of the pack. Once I accept that, maybe the stress of the whole thing will decrease.

2009-03-06 8:14 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
I would take a light runing day today. Just to get your legs loosened up and get your mind back into running. Do not do anything to extreme to try and make up for the lost days. That will just leave you sore for tomorrow. You will not lose all your training because you were out for a couple of days. Just think of it as a early taper. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
2009-03-06 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2001195

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-03-06 6:04 AM

Need Advise:

I've been sick with a fever and stomach virus for the past 2 days. That means, I haven't exercised since Tuesday night.

I'm feeling better today, so what is the best way to prepare for tomorrows 4 mile run? I don't think getting to the pool is going to be possible. So do I go for a short run, or just take today as another rest day?

I think I need to accept that no matter what I do/don't do, I will be at the back of the pack. Once I accept that, maybe the stress of the whole thing will decrease.

I would probably just rest, go for a brisk walk, do some stretching.  And make sure your getting your fluids.   Good luck!   You never know, you might surprise yourself

2009-03-06 8:30 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey, Just wanted to let those of you that are doing Jorge's bike plan that for me it worked great.  I finally got outside today to ride and my average was almost 3 mph faster than in April of last year.

So I am ahead a month and faster!  I averaged 17+ mph and would have been closer to 20 if it wasn't for the 20 MPH headwind I had to ride into for about 4 miles or so!

Hopefully I will maintain it!  And hopefully those of you that have been suffering will have similar, if not better results!

2009-03-06 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2003096

User image

Expert
Gregkl - 2009-03-06 9:30 PM

Hey, Just wanted to let those of you that are doing Jorge's bike plan that for me it worked great.  I finally got outside today to ride and my average was almost 3 mph faster than in April of last year.

So I am ahead a month and faster!  I averaged 17+ mph and would have been closer to 20 if it wasn't for the 20 MPH headwind I had to ride into for about 4 miles or so!

Hopefully I will maintain it!  And hopefully those of you that have been suffering will have similar, if not better results!

That's awesome! You must be psyched that you finished it! And, wow-what a great improvement.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30