BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-02-05 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1947306

User image

Master
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL
tcovert - 2009-02-05 1:41 PM

Offthegrid - 2009-02-05 10:34 AM

oshunluvah - 2009-02-05 12:19 PM

first work email of the day detailed the immediate lay-off of 17% of corp.  it's been a very sad morning here for many co-workers and I'm fortunate that my number wasn't called.  more motivation to get the above stated plan into action and stave off depressing thoughts 

so sorry -- how awful!

We know layoffs are coming, but we don't know how many or who... I *should* be safe. Knock on wood.

Same situation for my wife at Disney...she's heard that her department is likely safe, but there was a big article in the LA Times about the company's finances that made it look like the cuts will be bigger than rumored.

Since my temp assignment finally ends on Tuesday (I was laid off from my last job in late September), it would suck harshly if Liz lost her job, too.

ugh, ugh, ugh. I hate the daily news like this. I am keeping you in my thoughts.

Did you ever think about doing some coaching on the side? You have a LOT of good insights! And you're patient.

I'm not sure my department will be excluded, and certainly not the division we're under. Part of me hopes they announce it soon, and the other part of me says at least let people get two more paychecks first.

2009-02-05 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1947416

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Offthegrid - 2009-02-05 11:17 AM

Did you ever think about doing some coaching on the side? You have a LOT of good insights! And you're patient.

Thanks...you're too nice.

I'm in an odd position right now in that I have a bunch of money that just came in that I won on JEOPARDY. It's enough to cover my usual annual income for about a year. Since I'm out of work now apart from whatever temp assignments I get, I've been thinking about using some of the money to get one or more certifications. If I do, it'll probably be a personal trainer cert and possibly something called "holistic life coaching"...I'm more interested in that than in tri or running coaching per se. But it's not a great economy for setting up shop in that kind of service...and with my wife's job situation uncertain, I'm holding on to most of the money for now.

...Other than buying a tri bike...possibly tonight...nothing too 'bling', though.

Edited by tcovert 2009-02-05 1:43 PM
2009-02-05 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
New tri bike, eh?  GREAT idea!!   Of course, you'll have to come down here for a ride ...
2009-02-05 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

New bike!!!!  YES! All other things are just toys.

As for the swimming, I keep imagining looking down in the clear salt water and seeing a big toothy shark and wonder if I'll have the power to avoid the jaws.  That's enough motivation for me, though I've missed masters twice this week for good reason.  I've had power testing on the bike with my cycling coach and have to be fresh. 

I got four days unpaid furlough along with everyone else..we've lost 20 people in the last three months, 50 in the last year.  Down from 250, so that's a bunch.  Still, Kathy said proceed with the bike build.  I feel awkward about that but the stuff was ordered anyway before I heard so stopping things would have been really hard.  Stay positive.  This too shall pass.    

Edited by IceManScott 2009-02-05 2:25 PM
2009-02-05 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1947493

User image

Veteran

i guess i missed some posts - todd, you won jeopardy???  wow Surprised

2009-02-05 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I think the correct phrasing is;

"Who won Jeopardy?"

Correct answer:  Todd, the man with the new bike!

2009-02-05 11:27 PM
in reply to: #1948216

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
oshunluvah - 2009-02-05 6:33 PM

i guess i missed some posts - todd, you won jeopardy???  wow Surprised

Two games...Oct 13-14 (finished 2nd on the 15th when all 3 of us missed Final Jeopardy...I was leading, but bet too much more than the woman who was in 2nd).

It was weird...I taped in late August...didn't tell anyone at work how I did...then I got laid off about 3 weeks before the shows aired. So I knew I had the money coming (in February), but my then-employer didn't. Anyhow, I feel really lucky to have had the safety net...the hard part was just budgeting to get by on unemployment and temp job until the money came in (they don't pay it out until 120 days after air date).
2009-02-05 11:36 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
So, yeah, put money down on a Kestral Talon tonight...it was raining so I couldn't ride it besides on the trainer...I'll go back Saturday and take it out, then--unless it just all goes south on the ride--pay the balance and get the final fit and tuneup. Spent a lot of time on fit tonight making the decision...also tried out a new QR Tequilo (too expensive for me due to upgrades the LBS wasn't willing to swap back down) and a closeout QR Kilo (nice bike and great price, but just a little too small). Kestral was in between on price and fit and I liked it better, in any event. Wasn't really looking for a carbon bike, but, what the heck...that's what I got and stayed in my budget. Build is 105 (front derailleur)/Dura-Ace (rear)...the DA is an upgrade from spec.

Edited by tcovert 2009-02-05 11:36 PM
2009-02-06 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

You want to know the truth that Shimano doesn't want folks to know?  The 105s work really good.  The difference is in weight and we know that we can dump pounds by pushing away from the table, why worry about a few grams.  I went through that discussion with people about Ultegra, Dura Ace or the SRAM products for the build.  I quickly decided first on the Ultegra because the performance is just as good as Dura Ace and they are much cheaper.  Then came a huge deal on SRAM Rival (the Ultegra equivalent) and that was a no brainer.   The key is in the tune up. Get everything set correctly and the shifting will be smooth.   

Great bike.  Congrats. 

2009-02-06 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1948364

User image

Master
tcovert - 2009-02-06 12:36 AM

So, yeah, put money down on a Kestral Talon tonight...it was raining so I couldn't ride it besides on the trainer...I'll go back Saturday and take it out, then--unless it just all goes south on the ride--pay the balance and get the final fit and tuneup. Spent a lot of time on fit tonight making the decision...also tried out a new QR Tequilo (too expensive for me due to upgrades the LBS wasn't willing to swap back down) and a closeout QR Kilo (nice bike and great price, but just a little too small). Kestral was in between on price and fit and I liked it better, in any event. Wasn't really looking for a carbon bike, but, what the heck...that's what I got and stayed in my budget. Build is 105 (front derailleur)/Dura-Ace (rear)...the DA is an upgrade from spec.

*drool*
2009-02-06 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1947285

User image

Veteran
susie - i get a full body massage every 3 weeks.  If I have some localized muscle soreness I have the therapist focus on it but she still doesthe whole body.  I believe that the toxins held in our muscles are released with massage so we heal faster and stay healthier.  the key is to do it with regularity.  Expense is a valid concern but, i justify it by spending my pocket (non budgeted) money on massage instead of some other 'vice'.  I found my therapist through my chiropractor who gave me a GC for riding in the NY-Boston Aids ride several years ago.  Lucky for me we made an instant connection and she is know a very close friend.  For starters you can ask folks at your gym or google local holistic healers and shop around; they are definitely not all great.  good luck!

2009-02-06 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Congrats, Todd ... GREAT looking bike!

2009-02-06 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1948474

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
IceManScott - 2009-02-06 5:05 AM

You want to know the truth that Shimano doesn't want folks to know?  The 105s work really good.  The difference is in weight and we know that we can dump pounds by pushing away from the table, why worry about a few grams.  I went through that discussion with people about Ultegra, Dura Ace or the SRAM products for the build.  I quickly decided first on the Ultegra because the performance is just as good as Dura Ace and they are much cheaper.  Then came a huge deal on SRAM Rival (the Ultegra equivalent) and that was a no brainer.   The key is in the tune up. Get everything set correctly and the shifting will be smooth.   

Great bike.  Congrats. 

Yeah, I was planning to go with a 105 build if I found one...did a lot of homework and the consensus is that--esp. for a duffer on the bike like me--the difference from 105 -> Ultegra -> DA just isn't that significant. But all three of the bikes I looked at last night (this LBS gives a 10% discount to members of the tri team I train with, so I wanted to buy there), had at least some Dura-Ace.

I thought Talons were Ultegra (used to be), but I've since learned that for the 2008s, the 105/DA mix was spec.

All I can say is, after crappy performance and durability on my last two rides (Sora, then Tiagra, builds), I'm looking forward to this gruppo.
2009-02-06 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Heck, if you're gonna get Dura Ace, the rear derailleur is where you want it!  I've been having some issues with my 105 rear derailleur and I'm thinking of upgrading to Ultegra.  Dura Ace won't even enter the conversation because of the price, but if it's on the bike already, take it and ride!

Edited by Poster Nutbag 2009-02-06 2:01 PM
2009-02-06 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1949176

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Poster Nutbag - 2009-02-06 9:31 AM

Congrats, Todd ... GREAT looking bike!

That's the one...only blue and white. (Wanted a black or black and red bike...to go with my general Goth color scheme on the course...see avatar...but couldn't pass on this bike and the discounts I got for tri team membership and cash payment.)

The Talon is actually a road bike, strictly speaking, but has some elements that are designed in for tri usage...especially the two-saddle-position seat post. When I stood it next to the QR Kilo I was also trying out, you could notice the subtle difference in seat tube angle. They had the Kestrel set up with the saddle in the forward (i.e., tri/TT) position on the seat post, but for fit reasons, we moved it to the back position and I suspect it'll stay there in the final fit, since I'm accepting a frame that's on the small end for me for the purposes of getting a bike I like at a discounted price...and because, frankly, the fit felt good, which is the main thing. So what I'm getting is an all carbon version of the "road bike with clip on aerobars" setup that I've been competing on for the last year-and-a-half...only with bullhorns instead of drops. (Even has the same PD T2 aerobars that I currently ride.)

Oh...yeah...and 105/Dura-Ace components instead of Tiagra.

Did I mention it's all carbon...?

Edited by tcovert 2009-02-06 2:00 PM
2009-02-06 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Meanwhile...

Welcome to the weekend! I'll try not to continue the pattern of SoCal weather-whining...but, man, it's wet here! Oops...that slipped out.

Looks like Amber has a 5K this weekend. How're you feeling, Amber? Ready to go?

Anyone else racing or got anything special on tap for the weekend?

I'm hoping I can get the new bike and get out on the road on it, but with continuous rain in the forecast, I don't know when I'm going to get to do the final test ride and fitting. Want to do it tomorrow, but may not happen. On top of the rain, I've got a flareup of my chronic post-tibial tendonitis for the first time in years...I've been having problems with my prescription orthotics and have been running comfortably in some OTC inserts for a couple weeks, so I don't know what the specific cause is. Gonna back off the running for a few days...had a 15 miler on the schedule for tomorrow, but I'm going to push it back two weeks, I think.

Hope y'all stay warm and dry!

2009-02-06 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
GOOOOOOO AMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-02-06 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

I've got a soccer game tonight, and unless it's pouring cats & dogs with lightning and thunder, we will brave this So-Cal rain storm and play!  A little (very little) background ... our team sucks.  We haven't won a game yet (been playing since October), but last week we actually played competitively and were in it until the end.  We've made some switches and it looks like we've found a line up that works ... we actually think we might win tonight, and it will be great because it's against our rival.  Well, *we* think of them of a rival simply because of one loud mouth on their team that we all hate

Playing on this team has been an experience ... mostly an experience in pain.  We're all over 30 (some of us, ahem, well over 30), coed, and very few have played soccer since the '70s.  My problem is that I like contact, so I tend to run into people pretty hard.  This also tends to hurt ... me, usually.  But bigger than that is the fact that you use diffferent leg muscles in soccer.  I'm more used to pedaling and running in a straight line.  The side to side and sprints in soccer take a huge toll on my quads and I frequently pull/tear them.

So ... I've taken to running 2 miles on the treadmill before the game to loosen up, and it's been very beneficial.  I've also been buying Icy-Hot so much that I think it might be a good stock to look into

Early game tonight and we play at an outdoor arena at the YMCA, so I'll probably jump in the pool afterwards to get all you nags off my back!   (Seriously, thank you for that and keep it up!)

Hope you all have a great weekend, and run like the wind, Amber!

2009-02-06 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Congrats on the new bike Todd. i have been looking for a new bike myself. I am convince that no bike store in Sacramento carries frames for those off us who are vertically challenged. No one has had a 50cm frame in stock, let alone a closeout 2008 model. And the search continues...
2009-02-06 4:08 PM

User image

Master
It is supposed to be WARM here this weekend. Like 50 degrees warm. Considering yesterday it was about 12, this is a heat wave. Sooooooo... I'm thinking I might try to hit the roads. Issue is trying to find someplace where the salt/cinders aren't horrible.

Maybe swim tomorrow a.m. My quads are toast from my foray into real squats.

I'm loving the new lunchtime gym. The equipment isn't new, but it's so cheap and convenient. And it's less dangerous than trying to make it to the Y over lunch and definitely less dangerous than walking by myself. (There has been an explosion in armed robberies/rapes here over the last few months; either that, or the newspaper is just reporting on them more. Not sure which it actually is, but it has me on edge.)
2009-02-06 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1949653

User image

Master
uclamatt2007 - 2009-02-06 3:57 PM

Congrats on the new bike Todd. i have been looking for a new bike myself. I am convince that no bike store in Sacramento carries frames for those off us who are vertically challenged. No one has had a 50cm frame in stock, let alone a closeout 2008 model. And the search continues...

more new bike shopping! I'm jealous. Can they not get them for you to try? Maybe you could call ahead to a few shops in a nearby city? Or perhaps get a good fitter to take your measurements and recommend a frame?

2009-02-06 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Run Amber, Run! Have a great race.

Niiiicceee bike Todd! Very cool.

good luck on your soccer game, Morgan. And btw-- swimming masters at Carlsbad Pure Fitness on Tuesday and Thursday ngihts at 7 and/or M,W,F at 11:45. Great swim session and some of them are former oly trial swimmers, USC, UCLA, you know the slouch swimming schools. I'm way, way in the back of the pack here. Get your s@@ to the pool.

A question  re:: bike tires. I had a nail go through my tire and it left a little slit on the back tire. Haven't gotten it replaced yet, but wondered what you bike pros might suggest to look at regarding tires. I'd like to get something a little faster if possible, but would like to just replace the back one and not the front if that's adviseable.

Scott -- Sorry about the unpaid furlough. Here in SD at the Union Tribune I've known several folks who've lost jobs, but it's good for the freelancers.  Do you have a regular colulmn or ??? Will you write about your IM journey? Seems like you're very upfront about your weight loss, AA and cancer journeys. It might be something your readers might like to follow, too IMHO. 

A good weekend to all...

Oh, one more thing. I did my first spin class ever and WOW it was really great. I loved it. Nice loud music, darkened room, lots of sweat and good motivating instructor who reminded us to drop our shoulders which is what I need to be reminded of. 

Okay--- now I'm done. 

2009-02-06 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1950080

User image

Veteran

i'm no bike expert lynn but, i do alot of riding.  i like to replace both tires at the same time vs. each one as they wear.  could be bologney but IMO the bike rides more evenly Smile - of course that's pretty logical when you consider that both tires get changed at the same time.

i can't comment on brand because i'm assuming you ride a road bike and i don't.  i try  not to compromise on quality to save money because in the end you spend more replacing cheap stuff...hope this helps.

goooooooo amber!

2009-02-06 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1949508

User image

Veteran

all carbon.

what else can you say...sweet.

2009-02-06 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,

Hey Everyone!

This past week has literally been out of control.  Long story short - I left for the weekend on Friday (after a crazy stressful week) and I left my dogs in the care of my roommate.  I was driving back on Saturday when I found out that one of my dogs had gone missing that morning.  After freaking out for four days straight (as in barely eating, not being able to concentrate on my school work, crying constantly), I FOUND my dog!  I am definitely counting my lucky stars and I am so incredibly grateful to have her home.

With that all behind me now, I am incredibly nervous about Sundays race.  My training was great all the way through last Friday but I have not done a single bit of running, biking, or swimming since then.  I am going out for a 15 mile ride tomorrow, which I am really looking forward to.

Thanks for all of the luck that you all have been sending my way 

I promise to catch up with everyone in our group this weekend - I know that I have been slacking terribly - I am sooo sorry!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45