BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-01-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
Well I got my 30 min. swim, 30 min. bike, 40 min. run, and a 50 min. walk in, and I'm cleaned up and sitting in my lazy boy waiting for the Tennesse Titans vs. Ravens...I'm a Colts fan, but since they lost last week I'm going to cheer for the Titans... So I will be watching football and surfin the net.

Julie IN - I will check out the March Tri...I live in Haubstadt, so I'm between Princeton and Evansville...not to far from you.

Nicole - doesn't it feel good to have your workout done and get to enjoy the rest of your day?

Jennifer - glad you have been able to stop by and tell us about your progess, definately take the swim class!!! I would jump on that one.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Amy IN

2009-01-10 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1898887

User image

Extreme Veteran
naners - 2009-01-09 7:59 PM

Anyone up to something fun this weekend?  My fiance's parents are coming in tomorrow night, and on Sunday we're going for a bbq at my parents' house.  It'll be the first time that our parents meet.  I anticipate much amusement.

Naners - hope the get together if full of fun and laughter
2009-01-10 4:47 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I'm done and in for the night. Still need to figure out my ride for tomorrow. It's gonna be windy again. I'm tired of riding in wind!
2009-01-10 6:03 PM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
wow! we were way down the page!!everyone must be off having a good weekend! LOL
2009-01-10 7:06 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

My jaw is still on the ground after the Ravens just knocked out the Titans...I am in disbelief. The Colts are out too... now what?! Perhaps I should just go back to watching hockey!

I was just laughing at myself as I scrolled through the last 6 pages of the thread with pen and pad in hand taking notes on everything on wanted to comment on. I feel like I am back in school! Well- I am in school everyday- just the other side of the desk.

Anyways...here goes...I will aim to break it up otherwise I will probably break the BT record for the longest post ever. (Just checked for the sleeping emoticon- but no go).

Thanks Julie, for sharing your gear! I definitely missed out on some great stuff- but it is a great reminder for me to perhaps go through some of my gear and perhaps share it out as well. I sometimes keep some of my extra shirts at school should one of my cross-country kids need an extra layer.

Nalani- thanks for linking the Marmadaddy Do Not Give Up post- it's a good read and I will definitely be referring back to it again through the season as it has some great reminders. Hope the dinner with the parents and soon-to-be in-laws was great fun! Could it be like 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'? Was there a bundt cake?  When is the wedding?

Trish- for core work while sitting at the office consider bringing in a swiss fitness ball to sit on- though you will need to be prepared for the cheesy comments like "Are you on the ball today?" Or there is a local fitness company here (no doubt a comparable one in the US) that makes a sitting disc which allows for some core work. http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Category/10/ActiveSitting.aspx

Andria- you had me totally in stitches laughing about the basketballs- my dear hubby responded by saying that if someone used softballs in my wetsuit it would end up being too big for me.     

2009-01-10 7:13 PM

User image

Master
LMAO!!! softballs!! oh too many jokes pushing their way out!!! LOL!!!!

2009-01-10 7:52 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

Part 2

Dan- my hubby (craxy biker dude) used to commute year-round and winter meant SmartWool socks with either neoprene toe covers or full shoe covers .These are from Mountain Equipment Coop- the Canadian equivalent of REI. Pretty reasonably priced at $29 (CDN). Hope you find a good solution for your cold tootsies!

MEC Cycling Shoe Covers <b></b>(Unisex<b></b>)

Alyssa- there are oodles of Canadians who are huge fans of the walk/run method. It is the method used by most running clubs in the area for people starting running and for experienced runners looking to build endurance. Glad that you are making it out for some good runs and don't even think twice if there is any walking mixed in- as long as it is all in a forward motion! BTW very impressed with the homeschool thing- I have a huge respect for those who decide to take it on and there are so many great resources now. Do you find that there is a lot of support for homeschooling in MA?

Cheri- exciting times to be getting into a tri bike and wetsuit! While I am personally new to the tri-scene, I have tagged along wtih the hubby and friends long enough to realize that fitting whether it be for bike or wetsuit (or running shoes) is huge. When I went to find a wetsuit for myself- and unfortunately had to get to a couple of stores since they each only carry one or two brands- there were some who took you through step by step, showing how to tell a good fit and pulled and gave me wetsuit wedgies while others just let me put in on myself and then nodded in my direction to imply it looked fine. I did see a great link on youtube once that described what to look for in fit and how to properly put one on. And there are definitely differences between brands for body types too. The hubby rides a Cervelo and adores it- lucky for me there is no more room in the bed after us and the dog otherwise the bike would be there too! He picked up the bike from a website/store in SD called Nytro for a great deal!

Julie- Happy 27th Anniversay! Congratulations! That is wonderful! We still have 24 years before we hit that milestone but it's been 3 great ones so far.

Stay tuned (or tune out ) for Part 3 after dinner....we are having a cheese fondue! YUM!

2009-01-10 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1899378

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
maxmansmom - 2009-01-10 6:58 AM

Hey Jennifer, I'd sign up for that in a second !   Using underwater video can be so helpful (just watch a few on youtube).......

I feel like I am at times "a mess" under the water, but I'm told I look smooth above the water.  I could use help like this, so yes, I think it would be a great opportunity for you !

x2~ I too think this is a great opportunity and I like Julie would sign up in a second. Can I come along????

2009-01-10 8:03 PM

User image

New user

Sure!!!  You're all invited! 

Jennifer

2009-01-10 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1900157

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
run_yc_run - 2009-01-10 5:52 PM

Part 2

Dan- my hubby (craxy biker dude) used to commute year-round and winter meant SmartWool socks with either neoprene toe covers or full shoe covers .These are from Mountain Equipment Coop- the Canadian equivalent of REI. Pretty reasonably priced at $29 (CDN). Hope you find a good solution for your cold tootsies!

MEC Cycling Shoe Covers <b></b>(Unisex<b></b>)

Alyssa- there are oodles of Canadians who are huge fans of the walk/run method. It is the method used by most running clubs in the area for people starting running and for experienced runners looking to build endurance. Glad that you are making it out for some good runs and don't even think twice if there is any walking mixed in- as long as it is all in a forward motion! BTW very impressed with the homeschool thing- I have a huge respect for those who decide to take it on and there are so many great resources now. Do you find that there is a lot of support for homeschooling in MA?

Cheri- exciting times to be getting into a tri bike and wetsuit! While I am personally new to the tri-scene, I have tagged along wtih the hubby and friends long enough to realize that fitting whether it be for bike or wetsuit (or running shoes) is huge. When I went to find a wetsuit for myself- and unfortunately had to get to a couple of stores since they each only carry one or two brands- there were some who took you through step by step, showing how to tell a good fit and pulled and gave me wetsuit wedgies while others just let me put in on myself and then nodded in my direction to imply it looked fine. I did see a great link on youtube once that described what to look for in fit and how to properly put one on. And there are definitely differences between brands for body types too. The hubby rides a Cervelo and adores it- lucky for me there is no more room in the bed after us and the dog otherwise the bike would be there too! He picked up the bike from a website/store in SD called Nytro for a great deal!

Julie- Happy 27th Anniversay! Congratulations! That is wonderful! We still have 24 years before we hit that milestone but it's been 3 great ones so far.

Stay tuned (or tune out ) for Part 3 after dinner....we are having a cheese fondue! YUM!

funny about the bike in the bed thing...do you mean something like this???

haha.

What kinda dog do you have?

2009-01-10 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1900109

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-10 6:13 PM LMAO!!! softballs!! oh too many jokes pushing their way out!!! LOL!!!!

HA! Yep...kept waiting for them to 'push their way out' but alas at 37, I think it's time to move on.Cry Well...here's to sleeping on my stomach! Sorry Dan and Scott...girl humour...call it chest envy.

2009-01-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1899382

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
maxmansmom - 2009-01-10 7:02 AM

OH !  My first tri will be March 7th, there is no time just yet.

We found out this past week it will be set times, 15 minutes in the pool (feet are not allowed to touch the bottom or we are disqualified), 10 minute transition to the bike, 15 on the bike and a 5 minute transition to the dreadmills.......... just go as far as you can in that timeframe.  Paperwork says it will take 1 hour for all who participate.
I hear they are also going to limit the participants........so I'll be hanging out there ALOT to make sure i'm on that list ! lol

I do have to get used to keeping my feet of of the bottom of the pool when I turn around. I have no way to count laps and I cant remember where I am so I use a few things lined up at the end of the lane so I can move them side to side.  Lately I've been using little rubber duckies that the lifeguard has for kiddies ! LOL  So out of habit I stop, stand up, move one over, then take off ....... so i am glad to know it now so I can get used to no tootsies on teh bottom

wow..I didnt know that they would actually dq you for standing. I am sure you will do just fine...what is the distance you have to swim? I love you counting system...rubber duckies...that is a hoot! we need to get you a counter of some sort. Not sure if they have some type of counter available...if not, we should invent and patent one. I go crazy trying to count laps in my head.

2009-01-10 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Happy Saturday evening everyone!  I just got back from taking my Mom to see Seven Pounds (awesome!), then eating a burger and drinking some wine.  Now I'm in my 'jammies, watching football.

Yvonne, thanks for the advice on the wetsuit.  I talked today with one of our local GREAT triathletes, and he was describing what a joy it was to swim in the Gulf of Mexico with a wetsuit.  He described it as "feeling like a sea otter".  It's definitely on my list.  And I'm going to look on youtube too.  I've heard nothing but good things about Cervelo tri bikes.  Unfortunately we don't have a dealer here in town (very small town), but there is one in Pensacola.  I rode my Felt road bike yesterday, though, and it felt really great.  I may be reconsidering buying a bike (although I just got a bonus from work -- that may be a good way to spend it ).  Has anyone heard anything about Felt Tri bikes?

I got a good long run in this morning, and plan a long bike ride tomorrow morning.  I think this is going to have to be my training plan -- long workouts on the weekends only.  During the week it is tough to fit everything in!

Have a great rest of your weekend!

2009-01-10 8:32 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

He is a lovable chocolate lab (dark chocolate of course)...2 1/2 and full of beans. I tried to post a photo but having some difficulties. Handsome fellow- though we joke that his head is a little oversized- thankfully it doesn't affect his ability to be a great running partner.

2009-01-10 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1900200

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Sledge - 2009-01-10 7:31 PM

Happy Saturday evening everyone!  I just got back from taking my Mom to see Seven Pounds (awesome!), then eating a burger and drinking some wine.  Now I'm in my 'jammies, watching football.

Yvonne, thanks for the advice on the wetsuit.  I talked today with one of our local GREAT triathletes, and he was describing what a joy it was to swim in the Gulf of Mexico with a wetsuit.  He described it as "feeling like a sea otter".  It's definitely on my list.  And I'm going to look on youtube too.  I've heard nothing but good things about Cervelo tri bikes.  Unfortunately we don't have a dealer here in town (very small town), but there is one in Pensacola.  I rode my Felt road bike yesterday, though, and it felt really great.  I may be reconsidering buying a bike (although I just got a bonus from work -- that may be a good way to spend it ).  Has anyone heard anything about Felt Tri bikes?

I got a good long run in this morning, and plan a long bike ride tomorrow morning.  I think this is going to have to be my training plan -- long workouts on the weekends only.  During the week it is tough to fit everything in!

So cool to have mother-daughter time....it is tough being a 4h flight away from mine.

Funny thing about his Cervelo- made in Canada but we bought it cheaper in the US- even with shipping and the exchange rate! If you like your Felt then you might even go with the old adage- 'if it ain't broke...'

Great work getting out on your two long workouts this weekend! What commitment! Go Cheri- you're an inspiration!

2009-01-10 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1899846

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2009-01-10 1:14 PM Well I got my 30 min. swim, 30 min. bike, 40 min. run, and a 50 min. walk in, and I'm cleaned up and sitting in my lazy boy waiting for the Tennesse Titans vs. Ravens...I'm a Colts fan, but since they lost last week I'm going to cheer for the Titans... So I will be watching football and surfin the net. Julie IN - I will check out the March Tri...I live in Haubstadt, so I'm between Princeton and Evansville...not to far from you. Nicole - doesn't it feel good to have your workout done and get to enjoy the rest of your day? Jennifer - glad you have been able to stop by and tell us about your progess, definately take the swim class!!! I would jump on that one. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Amy IN

Amy, Amy, Amy....I am soooo disappointed that you rooted for the Titans. And VERY VERY VERY VERY glad they lost! they used to be at one time the Houston Oilers where I grew up and parents had season tickets....but then for who knows why!?!?!  BUTT Bud Adams took them out of Houston. Ever since, I have had a rather bad taste for Mr Adams and his Titan team! But I wont hold it against  you for cheering for those losers....haha

Good job on the tri you did today! hope your lazy boy is in the horizontal position and you are having a nice restful evening. Have a great weekend...I will mail all your goodies next week. Can you pm me with your mailing address? have a great weekend...

2009-01-10 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1900180

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-10 9:12 PM

We found out this past week it will be set times, 15 minutes in the pool (feet are not allowed to touch the bottom or we are disqualified), 10 minute transition to the bike, 15 on the bike and a 5 minute transition to the dreadmills.......... just go as far as you can in that timeframe.  Paperwork says it will take 1 hour for all who participate.
I hear they are also going to limit the participants........so I'll be hanging out there ALOT to make sure i'm on that list ! lol

I do have to get used to keeping my feet of of the bottom of the pool when I turn around. I have no way to count laps and I cant remember where I am so I use a few things lined up at the end of the lane so I can move them side to side.  Lately I've been using little rubber duckies that the lifeguard has for kiddies ! LOL  So out of habit I stop, stand up, move one over, then take off ....... so i am glad to know it now so I can get used to no tootsies on teh bottom

wow..I didnt know that they would actually dq you for standing. I am sure you will do just fine...what is the distance you have to swim? I love you counting system...rubber duckies...that is a hoot! we need to get you a counter of some sort. Not sure if they have some type of counter available...if not, we should invent and patent one. I go crazy trying to count laps in my head.

Sportcount . It's what I use. I've got the 90040, the one that only counts laps.

2009-01-10 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1900200

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Sledge - 2009-01-10 6:31 PM

Good job on the run and what time are we riding in the morning? I really want to get out of riding with my dh...he has me a bit worried....he keeps telling me that he has mapped out a killer loop...oh boy, that usually means we are going up, up and up some more. amd then just when you think there is no more up...he seems to find more uphill roads! doh! so, can I come ride with you!? pleeeeease!
2009-01-10 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1900223

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-10 6:55 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-10 9:12 PM

Sportcount . It's what I use. I've got the 90040, the one that only counts laps.

dang girl you do have gadgets...i like that! lots!

2009-01-10 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1900229

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-10 9:01 PM
Sledge - 2009-01-10 6:31 PM

Good job on the run and what time are we riding in the morning? I really want to get out of riding with my dh...he has me a bit worried....he keeps telling me that he has mapped out a killer loop...oh boy, that usually means we are going up, up and up some more. amd then just when you think there is no more up...he seems to find more uphill roads! doh! so, can I come ride with you!? pleeeeease!

Sure, you can come with me anytime.   We have little bitty hills here in Florida, which of course we call "mountains".  And my normal route is on the Air Force base range, so we get to see lots of deer, coyotes, turkeys, and an occasional bear and sometimes even a soldier or two.   It may be a little wet, so bring your jacket.  But it shouldn't be too cold tomorrow, so no need for woolies. 

And we need to hook up our dh's -- I keep trying to convince mine to ride but he complains about his "butt".  I also keep trying to get the guys around here to get him to come out, but he's not having any of it.

2009-01-10 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

ok... Part 3

Nicole- totally with you on leaving my ipod at home when I am training outside BUT at the same time, I would not be without it on the treadmill or trainer. WRT adjusting training and pace based on the HRM, I second Trish on the science out there that says you need to base your training zones based on your goals for particular workouts. One of my favourite running websites is http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/  as he has loads of info on training and the physiology behind it. Have a peek if you are interested. BTW- also very very jealous of your mani/pedi

Julie and Amy- Love seeing the gorgeous smiling faces that go with the names. And Amy, as cute as your hippo is, can't wait to see you as your avatar. Way to go on the tri today too!!!

Jennifer- Ditto everyone else on the swim class- committing to a class gets you to the pool and you will get some amazing feedback from the video- it just adds to the instruction. Just do it!

Moncia- congrats again on committing to the race- we'll be cheering for you each step of your training and of course for the race.

By the looks of things there are a few first tri's that people have talked about:

Julie- March 7, Yvonne- April 5, Jennifer- June 5, Monica- Aug, did I miss anyone else? When is everyone else's first race for the year?

2009-01-10 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

Ok...first the Pats and Cowboys don't make it, then the Colts and Titans lose...now Arizona is going to win?! What is going on... is it the full moon???! Hopefully everything will fall into place tomorrow!

2009-01-10 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1900241

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Sledge -

Sure, you can come with me anytime.   We have little bitty hills here in Florida, which of course we call "mountains".  And my normal route is on the Air Force base range, so we get to see lots of deer, coyotes, turkeys, and an occasional bear and sometimes even a soldier or two.   It may be a little wet, so bring your jacket.  But it shouldn't be too cold tomorrow, so no need for woolies. 

I had no idea that there were bears in Florida! Can I come too?! Little mountains sound perfect!

2009-01-10 9:26 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

I'm looking at a cold, windy ride tomorrow. I'll definitely need my woolies.

Planning to have my butt kicked by the woman who will be riding the bike segment of my tri relay. Well, they say the best way to learn to ride faster is to ride with people who are faster than you. Consider the second part of that equation accomplished! ;)

2009-01-10 9:29 PM

User image

Master
run_yc_run - 2009-01-10 5:52 PM

i'm actually in washington state, and there are TONS of resources, and support groups and things here. i'm actually considered "part time" homeschool because the public school (in a distric about and hour and a half from me) has an online school that we do math/science in. they provide all the lessons and materials for whatever courses you take. most states have an "online academy" but the one here is really exceptional.
we DO have our "off" days though. my dh's weekend is wed/thurs so that's our school weekend too, meaning we have to work through the regular sat/sun weekend, which we DIDN'T today. LOL just got too busy. as long as we stay caught up, the state people don't give us too much trouble.

also, the run/walk method. i WISH i had started out that way. a canadian friend of mine started running recently and that's how she started, i can't even begin to say how smart i think that is. i started out running a mile as hard and fast as i could, as often as i could, and built from there.
today was my longest run to date, and it was 5.7 miles. the only time i walked was for about 100 yards there's this VISCIOUS hill that defeats me every time.
usually on my regular-not-long-runs i run half a mile at my comfortable pace (about 11 MM) then half a mile at hopeful marathon pace (9MM) then back to 11MM for half a mile, etc etc. i live in a pretty hilly area so even though the marathon i'm going to do may have some hills, i think i'll be ok, even if there's a really epic one, and i have to walk it a bit. like you said, forward motion is better than no motion.

i just started a new "lazyman" card today, it's all the same mileage as a ironman, and you see how quickly you can get it all done. i'm hoping i can get my first card here done in less than a month, but with no place to swim, it might be a tad longer. LOL i feel like i got a pretty good start on it today though with that 5.7 mile run!

seems like there was something else.....oh! cheri--look in the classified sec of this site, there's a felt bike on there for sale..it's PRETTY!!! it gave me super bike envy--i can't remember what the chick was asking for it, but i think it was around the $1500 mark.

oh, and the sleeping on the stomach/softball/chest envy.....ok. still with the LOLing, but lemme just say that when i lose weight, that's the FIRST place i lose it...why? i have no idea, but i went from a 38D to a 36C pretty quickly, and i could probably go down another size if i were to go buy a new bra.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168