BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-01-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3285587

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
srichards428 - 2011-01-07 5:52 PM
zee744 - 2011-01-07 10:58 AM
IceManScott - 2011-01-07 11:39 AM To lose 200 pounds I learned that if it isn't in the house, I can't eat it.  Easier for the single guy I was, I know.  We do the same now.  Grand kids get good food when they come and all sweets are out the door with them...

Need some snack ideas. I've been getting hungry at night and don't want to eat junk, but need too eat something. Preferably something filling. I want to incorporate more veggies into my diet as snacks, but I don't like them plain and can't stand the "dipping" dressings like Ranch, blue cheese etc.

Any thoughts? Doesn't necessarily need to be veggies, just stuff thats better for you than crackers, chips etc. I already get in plenty of nuts, but they tend to go quickly as I love them.

Note: I don't like yogurt, cottage cheese or anything similar that smells THAT disgusting.

I eat six times a day.  Three meals and three snacks. 

Some of my favorite snacks are :

1 bannana sliced into half. Take natural peanut butter and I put 2 tabloespopons on the bannana (on the dry side).  I then take half of a (Yoplait) boston creme pie (fate free) and put over the P-Butter with some natural granola.  I love this and its approx. 300 calories.

I also take graham crackers and place natural p-butter on one side.  I then put fate free whipped topping and make a sandwich.  I place them in the freezer and wait until the get frozen....taste like a ice cream sandwich.  3 of these are also around 300 calories. 

Man that sounds good.  I'd eat hummus but the rabbits in my yard want it all    That was a great run too!

Laura congrats on the IM sign up.  It is a daunting goal, for me anyway.  Looms large.  Fun on the way there. 

Congrats to everyone, you are all doing fantastic.  Even a little progress each day and week adds up over time!

Saturday morning = FTP test.  20 mins hard, 15 rest, 20 more mins hard. 

Edited by IceManScott 2011-01-07 9:02 PM

2011-01-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3256268

Near BigD
Successes. Remained ate pre-holiday weight. I lost about 77 pounds last year, so wanted to keep it that Had to go to gym at 8pm to run because life as an accountant got in the way this week. Success was in the fact I went even though it was late !
2011-01-07 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3285874

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
BigDfromBigD - 2011-01-07 9:48 PM Successes. Remained ate pre-holiday weight. I lost about 77 pounds last year, so wanted to keep it that Had to go to gym at 8pm to run because life as an accountant got in the way this week. Success was in the fact I went even though it was late !

Awesome on the weight loss : ) and also motivating for an 8pm workout, NICE.
2011-01-07 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3285874

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
BigDfromBigD - 2011-01-07 8:48 PM Successes. Remained ate pre-holiday weight. I lost about 77 pounds last year, so wanted to keep it that Had to go to gym at 8pm to run because life as an accountant got in the way this week. Success was in the fact I went even though it was late !

Excellent weight loss. 
2011-01-07 9:14 PM

User image

Del Rio, TX
IceManScott - 2011-01-07 11:39 AM To lose 200 pounds I learned that if it isn't in the house, I can't eat it.  Easier for the single guy I was, I know.  We do the same now.  Grand kids get good food when they come and all sweets are out the door with them...

Need some snack ideas. I've been getting hungry at night and don't want to eat junk, but need too eat something. Preferably something filling. I want to incorporate more veggies into my diet as snacks, but I don't like them plain and can't stand the "dipping" dressings like Ranch, blue cheese etc.

Any thoughts? Doesn't necessarily need to be veggies, just stuff thats better for you than crackers, chips etc. I already get in plenty of nuts, but they tend to go quickly as I love them.

Note: I don't like yogurt, cottage cheese or anything similar that smells THAT disgusting.

1 bannana sliced into half. Take natural peanut butter and I put 2 tabloespopons on the bannana (on the dry side).  I then take half of a (Yoplait) boston creme pie (fate free) and put over the P-Butter with some natural granola.  I love this and its approx. 300 calories.

I also take graham crackers and place natural p-butter on one side.  I then put fate free whipped topping and make a sandwich.  I place them in the freezer and wait until the get frozen....taste like a ice cream sandwich.  3 of these are also around 300 calories. 

OK, so you win the best healthy snack award...my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Laughing 
2011-01-07 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3285197

Veteran
zee744 - 2011-01-07 3:34 PM
laurak11 - 2011-01-07 3:24 PM
zee744 - 2011-01-07 11:58 AM [Note: I don't like yogurt, cottage cheese or anything similar that smells THAT disgusting.

What??? no yogurt????? oh you don't know what you are missing!!!!

I like the fiber one bars... They have a bunch of dif flavors...

Oh no, I do know what I'm missing. I do throw yogurt in my smoothies, but can't eat it on its own. Fiber one bars are good, but they cause...um..issues.

I've tried hummus in the past, but it falls into the smelly category. I'll try it again and see what I think.

How about some grapes?  Give them a quick soak in water, then dip them in fat-free sugar free jello, and stick them in the freezer.  Nice to munch on after they're frozen.  Give's you a bit of crunch as well as sweetness.  Let me know what you think.

2011-01-07 10:18 PM

User image

Elite

This is flippin' brilliant.
2011-01-07 10:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Great ideas on the snacks. I'll def. have to try them all out. I typically eat plenty during the day...Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack...the last snack never seems to fill me up though and I'll end up eating more. I'm also on quite a budget. Last IM training was when I was living with mom, who always had the pantry/fridge stocked up. Now I'm living on my own paying my own rent, utilities, cable etc on top on a lovely $70k loan from my good friend Sallie Mae for financing the greatest 4 1/2 years of my life...aka college and student loans. 
2011-01-08 5:15 AM
in reply to: #3285982

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Ree - 2011-01-07 11:16 PM
zee744 - 2011-01-07 3:34 PM
laurak11 - 2011-01-07 3:24 PM
zee744 - 2011-01-07 11:58 AM [Note: I don't like yogurt, cottage cheese or anything similar that smells THAT disgusting.

What??? no yogurt????? oh you don't know what you are missing!!!!

I like the fiber one bars... They have a bunch of dif flavors...

Oh no, I do know what I'm missing. I do throw yogurt in my smoothies, but can't eat it on its own. Fiber one bars are good, but they cause...um..issues.

I've tried hummus in the past, but it falls into the smelly category. I'll try it again and see what I think.

How about some grapes?  Give them a quick soak in water, then dip them in fat-free sugar free jello, and stick them in the freezer.  Nice to munch on after they're frozen.  Give's you a bit of crunch as well as sweetness.  Let me know what you think.

Ree- sounds yummy, I'll def have to try~!

Also the pb, whip cream sandwich conconction sounds amazing as well! 
2011-01-08 7:25 AM

User image

Longview, Texas
good first week, ran a little every day, bike on day.
I just hate the gym, cannot wait to the weather get better do run and bike outside.

2011-01-08 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3286207

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
I just purchased a new trainer from Dick's last night.  It is a Grager magnetic.  Maybe not quite as quiet as a Kinetic Road Machine, but at less than 1/3 of the price, other than the noise, it seems to be about identical.  Very good value if you are on a budget but need an indoor trainer for your bike (cost was $99)

2011-01-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3286009

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
zee744 - 2011-01-07 11:57 PM Great ideas on the snacks. I'll def. have to try them all out. I typically eat plenty during the day...Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack...the last snack never seems to fill me up though and I'll end up eating more. I'm also on quite a budget. Last IM training was when I was living with mom, who always had the pantry/fridge stocked up. Now I'm living on my own paying my own rent, utilities, cable etc on top on a lovely $70k loan from my good friend Sallie Mae for financing the greatest 4 1/2 years of my life...aka college and student loans. 

I just looked at your log, you're booking some serious workouts, no wonder you're hungry all the time; )

Dicipleguideservice, have fun on your new trainer! I've had mine for a month and lov'n it
2011-01-08 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3286224

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
discipleguideservice - 2011-01-08 8:34 AM I just purchased a new trainer from Dick's last night.  It is a Grager magnetic.  Maybe not quite as quiet as a Kinetic Road Machine, but at less than 1/3 of the price, other than the noise, it seems to be about identical.  Very good value if you are on a budget but need an indoor trainer for your bike (cost was $99)

I have a cheap mag trainer as well... it does the job, but it is loud. I just turn the TV volume up
2011-01-08 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
PA
last night shortly after midnight i was woken up to the horrible sound of my 5 year old son crying, running, and puking down the hallway.  i spent the next hour with the carpet cleaner getting the nice orange sweet potato colored "stuff" out of white carpet.  then my daughter was scared, so she slept with me while my wife slept with my son out in the living room.....a loooong nite it was.  hopefully today i can get in at least 3 miles on my crappy treadmill.  got a christmas party to go to yet this afternoon.  i dont really like my saturdays messed up but this is one of those days that life has to take the front seat.
hope everyone has a good day with family and workouts!

ETA- i also am the owner of a cheap trainer, a Nashbar fluid trainer that came with the purchase of my original road bike.  its not terribly loud, but i have noticed that ALOT of that depends on the tire i'm using.  that thing has gotten alot of use and suits me perfectly. resistance is resistance, right? 

Edited by wabash 2011-01-08 9:49 AM
2011-01-08 10:13 AM

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
Successes: Signed up for sprint tri and have been having consistent swim and cycling workouts.

I am now working on getting consistent with my meal plan (it is not a diet, those are short term I am in it for the long haul).  Gonna be eating a lot of fish and chicken and green veggies.  I have been increasing the amount of water I am drinking and that seems to be helping.

Had a good swim workout this morning and may have a weight session this afternoon depending on what the family has going on. 
2011-01-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3286009

User image

Master
Orlando
zee744 - 2011-01-07 10:57 PM Great ideas on the snacks. I'll def. have to try them all out. I typically eat plenty during the day...Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack...the last snack never seems to fill me up though and I'll end up eating more. I'm also on quite a budget. Last IM training was when I was living with mom, who always had the pantry/fridge stocked up. Now I'm living on my own paying my own rent, utilities, cable etc on top on a lovely $70k loan from my good friend Sallie Mae for financing the greatest 4 1/2 years of my life...aka college and student loans. 

This is exactly how I eat too.  I try to keep my snacks around 100 calories, but that doesn't always go according to plan.  I also have to pass a candy dish each time i enter or leave my office; some days are more successful than others. 
I also eat like a fiend after my saturday long run and swim.  I'll eat for as long as it takes me to read the paper - i guess i should work on my speed reading!
Congrats to everyone for all your successes.

Ann-Marie

2011-01-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3286422

User image

Regular
Salem
n3dinc - 2011-01-08 10:13 AM Successes: Signed up for sprint tri and have been having consistent swim and cycling workouts.

I am now working on getting consistent with my meal plan (it is not a diet, those are short term I am in it for the long haul).  Gonna be eating a lot of fish and chicken and green veggies.  I have been increasing the amount of water I am drinking and that seems to be helping.

Had a good swim workout this morning and may have a weight session this afternoon depending on what the family has going on. 

I like your thinking on the "diet".  They are short term and are not practical in life.  I started my weight lose about a 1 1/2 ago with a group of friends from work.  They tried all types of diets (south beach, starving themselves etc).  To date they look the same and I'm 55 lbs lighter and have reached my goal weight. 

Congrats on signing up for your first tri! 
2011-01-08 11:10 AM

User image

Elite

Happy Saturday McFuzzies!

I love all the snack ideas...let's keep them coming!  I guess maybe I should add one of my own favorites.  I love rice crackers so I'll put together a plate of rice crackers. Take a wedge or two of Light Laughing Cow cheese, spread each cracker and then top each cracker off with a little smear of sugar free jelly (I like grape the best).  It's salty, sweet, crunchy all with every bite!  Yum!

Another thing I'll do as a special treat is make a protein shake with a ton of frozen bananas and blueberries and soy milk--it makes the shake super thick, I'll pour it into a big soup mug (since that's how I used to eat ice cream) and top it with sugar free cool whip--it feels like I'm getting my ice cream fix.

For quick protein idea:  anybody ever roast garbanzo beans (chick peas)?  Awesome awesome snack!  In fact, I'm going to roast some today.

2011-01-08 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3286528

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ingleshteechur - 2011-01-08 12:10 PM

Happy Saturday McFuzzies!

I love all the snack ideas...let's keep them coming!  I guess maybe I should add one of my own favorites.  I love rice crackers so I'll put together a plate of rice crackers. Take a wedge or two of Light Laughing Cow cheese, spread each cracker and then top each cracker off with a little smear of sugar free jelly (I like grape the best).  It's salty, sweet, crunchy all with every bite!  Yum!

Another thing I'll do as a special treat is make a protein shake with a ton of frozen bananas and blueberries and soy milk--it makes the shake super thick, I'll pour it into a big soup mug (since that's how I used to eat ice cream) and top it with sugar free cool whip--it feels like I'm getting my ice cream fix.

For quick protein idea:  anybody ever roast garbanzo beans (chick peas)?  Awesome awesome snack!  In fact, I'm going to roast some today.

You and my husband are so weird with that ice cream-in-a-mug thing. I too love the shake with the frozen 'nanners. Since I've started freezing them I throw fewer away too.
The snack ideas are FANTASTIC!!! Particularly the ice-cream sandwich one. YUM!!! 
Sometimes I roast the garbanzos a bit before I make hummus. The commercial hummus often is full of sodium so it's healthier to make my own. Then I can chop olives up to put in it...or roasted peppers.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT SNACK IDEAS!!!!!

Still sick, but I'm going to my 5k tomorrow. I may have to walk. But I can't sit around ONE MORE DAY!
2011-01-08 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
Snack Idea: Rosted Kale chips. chop up the kale, spread on a cookie sheet drizzle with olive oil and salt or apple cider vinegar and bake for 20 minutes. Like eating potato chips, got your crunch and your salt. My kids inhale it.
2011-01-08 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3286641

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Corncub - 2011-01-08 12:26 PM Snack Idea: Rosted Kale chips. chop up the kale, spread on a cookie sheet drizzle with olive oil and salt or apple cider vinegar and bake for 20 minutes. Like eating potato chips, got your crunch and your salt. My kids inhale it.

Interesting idea.  Chips and crackers are one of my snacking downfalls.  Will have to try it next weekend.  Trying the hummus this weekend.  I try to be nice and only make the family try one new "weird" thing a week.

I like to do triscuits with either goats cheese and craisins or triscuits with swiss, plain tuna, and tomato for snacks or even as my lunch.

Edited by GmrGirl 2011-01-08 12:56 PM

2011-01-08 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
I've had the kale and it's quite yummy.  Chips are a big downfall of mine so anything that has a crunch and a bit of salt is a good substitute for me. 
2011-01-08 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I like to make chips out of sweet potatoes. Slice them thin, drizzle lightly with olive oil and a dash of salt and then roast in oven. The turn out crunchy, sweet and salty - yum!
2011-01-08 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3286803

User image

Elite
robingray_260 - 2011-01-08 2:16 PM I like to make chips out of sweet potatoes. Slice them thin, drizzle lightly with olive oil and a dash of salt and then roast in oven. The turn out crunchy, sweet and salty - yum!

Yum!  I love anything sweet potato but haven't made chips before!  I'll have to try that too!

Double like on the kale chips...very tasty!
2011-01-08 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3286641

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Corncub - 2011-01-08 12:26 PM Snack Idea: Rosted Kale chips. chop up the kale, spread on a cookie sheet drizzle with olive oil and salt or apple cider vinegar and bake for 20 minutes. Like eating potato chips, got your crunch and your salt. My kids inhale it.

I'm going to try this!  I love kale and I'm always looking for new ways to eat it.  My current favorite is a raw kale salad with a dressing made from tahini, lemon juice, salt and a clove of garlic.  Super yummy! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106