BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-09 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4570093

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
justinfss - 2013-01-09 11:09 AM

Great way to make indoor biking(that sounds funny when I say it in my head) bearable.

Kind of in line with David's football workout, today I pumped it up when the commercials came on...higher resistance, higher intensity...... it makes me hate the commercials even more!!!

The only saving grace was all the grainy KHL (pro Russian Hockey League) highlights..and the fact that we wont have to watch them anymore!

Hope you are not a Brian Burke fan...what the hell is going on there? I guess the coach is next!

2013-01-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4569187

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Wiff - 2013-01-08 10:20 PM

thor67 - 2013-01-08 7:26 PM well went for a lame, slow, lazy swim while my daughter was in the swimming...I guess something is better than nothing...

Heck ya, good stuff.  

Has your wife picked a Tri yet?  Personally, I'd pick Napa but it would be great if she did the one in Olds!

Speaking of Napa, have you had anyone approach you about  wanting to see your training logs as you train for Napa?   Had a random ask to be a friend, (said he saw a pic I recently posted). He wanted to see my training since he is doing Napa OLY too.  I ignored the request....strange, I technically don't know my friends on the site but there are some friends on the site that I have not known for two years..ha ha! 

Oh I have a new pic up on my profile that my grandson took of me over Thanksgiving.

2013-01-09 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4569271

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
kevinbe - 2013-01-08 11:38 PM

justinfss - 2013-01-08 3:52 PM Another Double day,

Two short workouts, and My run just barely qualify's for the 30 in Jan I think.

But... I have a confession to make folks, I'm a Lefty.... That's right, I only... Only breath to the left while I am swimming. Today I tried to do a bunch of right breathing, and boy it felt weird. I nearly drowned!

Is it just going to be a case of practice makes perfect or does anyone have any tips on becoming a better both sided breather???

Once you go Left, you'll never want to go back.  At least that's what I've experienced.  I started out with that Bi-lateral nonesense, listening to all the importance of needed to be diverse, but when it came down to it, I'm comfortable breathing on my left every 4th stroke.

I've spent weeks breathing on the 3rd stroke, alternating, and I found for me, breathing on the left was just way more comfortable.

Agreed, I breath right thought, meaning to the right not as in more correct.  I always wonder if I don't get the bilateral because I don't give it enough time to take.  But I am with you Kevin, I am just comfortable on the right side.

2013-01-09 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4569294

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

mcmanusclan5 - 2013-01-09 12:01 AM Hey all,Sorry I've been out of pocket this week. Out in SF at the JP Morgan healthcare conference (3 days, 33 meetings... Ugh). Goals for the week: Get at least some sleep.Don't eat total crap at all the receptions (5 of them tonight)Don't drink too much, too early in the conference (tomorrow night is a different story)And run at least twice while out here.Managed mostly on all. Have run twice already, will go again tomorrow at lunch (went early last two days). Turns out, San Francisco is hilly... Makes for a good hill run in place of my track workout this morning. Gonna feel that one!OK - putting iPad down and getting back to work. Will log back on as able but might be out of touch (I know how much y'all will miss me... lol). Matt

The meetings don't sound fun but the receptions sound great!!!!!

2013-01-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Once a Leaf fan, always. We do have a good Canadian owner down here in Dallas. The Tweet uproar with the Cowboys was funny.

Swim and bike done today during my taper week. Hopefully a short run later today for the trifecta. Still getting the hang of aero position. It is giving my upper body a little more of a workout than I thought it would.

11/30.

No beer. A little red wine last night.

2013-01-09 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Football...I have been forced to become a 49's fan...Kapernick attend the  University of Nevada and that is where I work...so expect a Kapernicking photo! 

2013-01-09 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Training...Last night was 10 mins on the bike and complete the strength training that I did not complete on Monday night.  Its getting there.
2013-01-09 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Workout for today is in the books, 6/30.  I gotta get moving.  Can I count the time spent at the pool kicking on the side while I try to get my face wet?  The more I talk to other people about this makes me realize it's not that uncommon.  I took one persons advice and spent some time sticking my face in the tub and didn't have a problem with it at all.  I personally think it's because I just am not a strong swimmer so I have the drowning fear set in.  I am looking for a shorter pool so it doesn't freak out the old noodle.  Kind of like in scary movies when they look down a hallway and it starts getting narrow and stretches super long, that's my time in the pool.
2013-01-09 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4570186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
SportzVision - 2013-01-09 11:51 AM

thor67 - 2013-01-08 7:26 PM well went for a lame, slow, lazy swim while my daughter was in the swimming...I guess something is better than nothing...

Heck ya, good stuff.  

Has your wife picked a Tri yet?  Personally, I'd pick Napa but it would be great if she did the one in Olds!

Speaking of Napa, have you had anyone approach you about  wanting to see your training logs as you train for Napa?   Had a random ask to be a friend, (said he saw a pic I recently posted). He wanted to see my training since he is doing Napa OLY too.  I ignored the request....strange, I technically don't know my friends on the site but there are some friends on the site that I have not known for two years..ha ha! 

Oh I have a new pic up on my profile that my grandson took of me over Thanksgiving.

While we would both love to go Napa, we just get back from florida on the Tuesday...i am out of holidays and money!

The pic on your profile is a glass of beer....you look great! haha

2013-01-09 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4570238

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

Burd - 2013-01-09 2:09 PM Workout for today is in the books, 6/30.  I gotta get moving.  Can I count the time spent at the pool kicking on the side while I try to get my face wet?  The more I talk to other people about this makes me realize it's not that uncommon.  I took one persons advice and spent some time sticking my face in the tub and didn't have a problem with it at all.  I personally think it's because I just am not a strong swimmer so I have the drowning fear set in.  I am looking for a shorter pool so it doesn't freak out the old noodle.  Kind of like in scary movies when they look down a hallway and it starts getting narrow and stretches super long, that's my time in the pool.

Great job on sticking with it. you might consider getting a snorkel too. They make one that is USAT legal. I saw a guy in IMLP using it last year.   It will help you keep your face down and allow you to get more swimming in. 

2013-01-09 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4570309

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Cassady - 2013-01-09 1:37 PM

Burd - 2013-01-09 2:09 PM Workout for today is in the books, 6/30.  I gotta get moving.  Can I count the time spent at the pool kicking on the side while I try to get my face wet?  The more I talk to other people about this makes me realize it's not that uncommon.  I took one persons advice and spent some time sticking my face in the tub and didn't have a problem with it at all.  I personally think it's because I just am not a strong swimmer so I have the drowning fear set in.  I am looking for a shorter pool so it doesn't freak out the old noodle.  Kind of like in scary movies when they look down a hallway and it starts getting narrow and stretches super long, that's my time in the pool.

Great job on sticking with it. you might consider getting a snorkel too. They make one that is USAT legal. I saw a guy in IMLP using it last year.   It will help you keep your face down and allow you to get more swimming in. 

agree. plus concentrate on exhale. that helped me relax as I did't worry about breathing but had to just get the air out. snorkle or fins will help (zoomers).  I thought about you on my swim today and hoped things were getting better for you!

2013-01-09 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
so got my run in. Went out at 5:20/k pace hoping to drop it after an hour. Wasn't in the cards, ended up with a 5:18 pace that I settled into and strangly would not slow. So I guess I am going to try to keep that as my marathon training pace for the next couple months. Had to have a bio break after 57 minutes, then did another 65 minutes. Felt good. Tired at the end though. But good for my fastest run since last April.
2013-01-09 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4570242

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
thor67 - 2013-01-09 1:10 PM

Heck ya, good stuff.  

While we would both love to go Napa, we just get back from florida on the Tuesday...i am out of holidays and money!

OOooohhhhh that explains EVERYTHING!  Whew!

2013-01-09 7:09 PM

User image

Youngsville
Ugh. Riding on the trainer is like drinking zima at a party, no fun.

Edited by firefighter 2013-01-09 7:28 PM
2013-01-09 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4570911

User image

Champion
Calgary
firefighter - 2013-01-09 6:09 PM

Ugh. Riding on the trainer is like drinking zima at a party, no fun.

are you doing intervals? That IS fun.
2013-01-09 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4570991

User image

Youngsville
Sure am. My aero bars aren't very comfortable when they're supporting my face due to a visit to sufferlandia

2013-01-09 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4571018

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Good stuff all.  Burd, hand in there, it's coming

DH, are you training for a particular marathon?

Screwed my ankle all to HE77 this morning.  was running on the side of the road, and hit this ginourmous boulder, (a pebble really) and I rolled over my left ankle.  This happens about every 3-4 weeks with me as I'm often running in the dark, and sometimes do not pat close enough attention to detail as I get distracted by the oncoming trafic.  Cut my 4.6 miler to a 2 miler.  I only ran 1 mile up to that point, and limped it home the rest of the way.  I'm still counting it towards my 30 .  I'm 9/30.

Hockey game tonight at 10:30.  Hope I can get away with sleeping all day at work tomorrow!  Wink

Still hitting my beer intake goal for the month (year?) as I'm limiting to 1 growler/mo, and 2 22oz's on weekends.  Having a growler of IPA this week.  FABULOUS.

2013-01-09 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4571018

User image

Champion
Calgary
firefighter - 2013-01-09 7:41 PM

Sure am. My aero bars aren't very comfortable when they're supporting my face due to a visit to sufferlandia

ha, for sure. well it may not be fun but at least it isn't mundane.
2013-01-09 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4571064

User image

Champion
Calgary
kevinbe - 2013-01-09 8:13 PM

Screwed my ankle all to HE77 this morning.  was running on the side of the road, and hit this ginourmous boulder, (a pebble really) and I rolled over my left ankle.  This happens about every 3-4 weeks with me as I'm often running in the dark, and sometimes do not pat close enough attention to detail as I get distracted by the oncoming trafic.  Cut my 4.6 miler to a 2 miler.  I only ran 1 mile up to that point, and limped it home the rest of the way.  I'm still counting it towards my 30 .  I'm 9/30.

Hockey game tonight at 10:30.  Hope I can get away with sleeping all day at work tomorrow!  Wink

Still hitting my beer intake goal for the month (year?) as I'm limiting to 1 growler/mo, and 2 22oz's on weekends.  Having a growler of IPA this week.  FABULOUS.

I got the 50k in february and the Calgary Marathon at the end of May. I haven't run fast though since the Marathon last May, since then it has been almost all LSD, and some short tempos or intervals, so today was real nice.

sucks about yoru ankle. I used to have that problem quite a bit, you are right, it is all about paying attention. hope it heals up tonight. Probably nothing that 60 minutes of hockey can't fix
2013-01-09 9:43 PM

User image

Hello everyone

I started tonight!!! I found a race at the end of June I want to do. So last night I upgraded to a silver membership. Then I uploaded the couch to sprint program (12 weeks) then found the beginner sprint 12 week program HR zone to add on to the next 12 weeks and it ends on my race day. So tonight is started on the bike went 25 min on a comfortable cadence of 80. It went well but surprised how out of shape I am. I am going to try to switch to a morning person in the next 2 weeks, I am a night owl. I lost another 2 lbs and have lost a total of 13 lbs so far. I have 32 lbs to go by July 3rd! I will try to be more regular on the forum, life has gotten less crazy for a little while. Good job everybody on your workouts, I had to get updated on all the pages that have been written since I was on here last.

Ian

2013-01-10 4:11 AM
in reply to: #4571103

User image

Expert
Yakhead - 2013-01-09 9:43 PM

Hello everyone

I started tonight!!! I found a race at the end of June I want to do. So last night I upgraded to a silver membership. Then I uploaded the couch to sprint program (12 weeks) then found the beginner sprint 12 week program HR zone to add on to the next 12 weeks and it ends on my race day. So tonight is started on the bike went 25 min on a comfortable cadence of 80. It went well but surprised how out of shape I am. I am going to try to switch to a morning person in the next 2 weeks, I am a night owl. I lost another 2 lbs and have lost a total of 13 lbs so far. I have 32 lbs to go by July 3rd! I will try to be more regular on the forum, life has gotten less crazy for a little while. Good job everybody on your workouts, I had to get updated on all the pages that have been written since I was on here last.

Ian

Glad to have you back Ian and kudos on making the commitment to doing a Sprint in June.  With all that working out your are going to do - those 32 pounds should come off pretty easily!  Nice work on the 13 pounds lost so far!  

Right now, a bunch of us are working on a 30 workouts in 31 day challenge.  Give some thought to joining us at a prorated number.  Why don't you shoot for 20 workouts in 21 days?  We'd love to have you!

2013-01-10 4:16 AM
in reply to: #4571064

User image

Expert
kevinbe - 2013-01-09 9:13 PM

Major bummer on the sore ankle... I do a lot of running in the dark and am constantly tweaking my ankles.  Hope some ice and ibuprofen will help!  How'd the hockey game go?

Nice work on the beer intake goal!  Which IPA did you have?  

2013-01-10 4:22 AM
in reply to: #4570242

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-01-09 1:10 PM

Heck ya, good stuff.  

Hey Cynthia - not sure which pic on your page I find sexier - the one of you or the one of the alluring glass of beerWink

2013-01-10 4:37 AM

User image

Expert

Not to get to personal... but I'm getting a colonoscopy on Friday.  With a family history - my doc is just being safe.

Wondering which part of it will suck more: a) spending tonight in the bathroom (talk about a trip to SufferlandiaLaughing), b) clear liquid diet for the next 36 hours, c) no working out, d) no beer...Cry

Seriously - I'm a little nervous about the cleanse part - if you've been there and have any suggestions (I'm taking go lightly - let the jokes begin) - please PM me.

PS - Last night enjoyed Three Cranes by Mystic Brewery - a saison brewed with cranberries... No too shabby!

2013-01-10 6:35 AM

User image

Well I got up at 5 am ( a feat in itself) went to the pool and swam 400 yds (only a 100 free) boy I am out of shape. Then came home and did a 4 mph pace on the treadmill for 10 minutes. The plan has me working on getting my endurance up. Which I thought at first this will be easy. I am amazed how tired I am. I will try to do the 20 in 21. 

Ian

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97