BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-23 3:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Today is full of all sorts of exercise type activity for me:

Morning: Bike commute to work (4.25 miles)

Noon: Run for 3.1 miles, 9:30 pace (foot behaved and didn't get any worse for wear)

Evening: Bike to the gym then 45 minutes of cardio-kick, followed by bike ride the rest of the way home.

After a day like this I definitely deserve a beer  

Edited by MOlsen 2014-01-23 3:16 PM

2014-01-23 5:08 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by MOlsen

Noon: Run for 3.1 miles, 9:30 pace (foot behaved and didn't get any worse for wear)

Evening: Bike to the gym then 45 minutes of cardio-kick, followed by bike ride the rest of the way home.

Dang right you deserve a beer! I'm actually pretty jealous of all that riding! I long for the days that I can ride outdoors again...
2014-01-23 5:11 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
17/31 Today! No doubt I'll make the challenge now!

I did 1500 yards in the pool this morning. With all the indoor work, the swim is by far my favorite activity right now. It's pretty relaxing to climb in that pool after a hard night at work. And, to my surprise, there is no new years crowd at my pool, just me and 2 other guys both times I have been!

Now I'm about to head to my parents and I'll have my first beer in days, a Stella no doubt (dad's favorite). Keep up the great work everybody!
2014-01-23 6:57 PM

User image

Expert

I'd say you deserve 2 beers but since I think your rubbing my nose in your nice warm temps (it's 7 degrees out and I've still got to walk the dog), I say you take your 1 beer and like it!
2014-01-23 7:51 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
How is the push-up challenge going for everybody else? Still in it? My chest trembled for a while today after I did week 3 day 2. 100 push-ups just not consecutively!
2014-01-23 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
On the topic of the week, can somebody run through again how you put a planned race in your training log? Do you just create a race report and leave it blank?

2014-01-23 9:16 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Bradleykd

Dang right you deserve a beer! I'm actually pretty jealous of all that riding! I long for the days that I can ride outdoors again...
x2
2014-01-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
BT's rad. I like the forums. I have found much info about local races on the state thread, and met up with a few bt'ers at races. I've also found the Ironman training thread invaluable when I was training for my half. I learned tons of insight about how to approach my first tri, as far as training, what to wear, how to hydrate/nutrition, and transition.

16/31 today. 1200 speed workout in pool. I'm up to 8 100's. a few at 1:58. whittling it back down.

Trader Joes Hefe' tonight.
2014-01-24 7:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Bradleykd

On the topic of the week, can somebody run through again how you put a planned race in your training log? Do you just create a race report and leave it blank?

I did it by going to the my races link in my training log (upper right corner near your picture). On that page, use the Add Race button (also, upper right corner) and follow the directions. It will show as a draft race report in your race log and put a green square on your training log.

Edited by drfoodlove 2014-01-24 7:49 AM
2014-01-24 7:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
18/31--30min trainer spin intervals this morning, followed by core work and some yoga poses for stretching. This is last night's post-date workout, but I didn't get it in because the movie was WAY longer than I thought it was, so we didn't get home until late. BTW...we saw Wolf of Wall Street, which was pretty good, but very long and there were many, many swear words (but not in an unnecessarily gratuitous way).

Today is supposed to be my rest day, but I'm toying with the idea of a lunchtime swim. We have a knitting party at the house tonight and since I don't knit, I usually spend these parties drinking and snacking. I could probably use the extra calorie burn! What say you BDAAS? Does a girl really need a rest day every week?
2014-01-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Lansing, Michigan

Originally posted by drfoodlove 18/31--30min trainer spin intervals this morning, followed by core work and some yoga poses for stretching. This is last night's post-date workout, but I didn't get it in because the movie was WAY longer than I thought it was, so we didn't get home until late. BTW...we saw Wolf of Wall Street, which was pretty good, but very long and there were many, many swear words (but not in an unnecessarily gratuitous way). Today is supposed to be my rest day, but I'm toying with the idea of a lunchtime swim. We have a knitting party at the house tonight and since I don't knit, I usually spend these parties drinking and snacking. I could probably use the extra calorie burn! What say you BDAAS? Does a girl really need a rest day every week?

I love the fact that your so motivated to work out every single day. I would caution you to not overdo it so early in your training. Your body needs down time to repair the muscle tissue that you broke down. Its Friday. why don't you do some curls. Start with 12 ounce burn outs. Each rep take a sip and the weight magically disappears. If you really motivated you can move up to 22 or even 40oz's

2014-01-24 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by drfoodlove

18/31--30min trainer spin intervals this morning, followed by core work and some yoga poses for stretching. This is last night's post-date workout, but I didn't get it in because the movie was WAY longer than I thought it was, so we didn't get home until late. BTW...we saw Wolf of Wall Street, which was pretty good, but very long and there were many, many swear words (but not in an unnecessarily gratuitous way).

Today is supposed to be my rest day, but I'm toying with the idea of a lunchtime swim. We have a knitting party at the house tonight and since I don't knit, I usually spend these parties drinking and snacking. I could probably use the extra calorie burn! What say you BDAAS? Does a girl really need a rest day every week?

Rest is when our body does it's recovery and the fitness gains are realized. All that hard work you put in starts to take hold. I find for a rest day it doesn't mean I need to stay still I sometimes do an active recovery and keep my ride at a guilty feeling speed. Kind of the speed where you would put a basket and bell on the bike. If it were a run I was doing I wouldn't run but walk instead and a swim would look like 3:00/100 with some breast strokes in there just to be in the water. So if you feel you must do a workout do all of this at an RPE of a 1-2. Just one step above laying down and sleeping Then again there will be some days where I need to actually do nothing but lay around. Your body will know when just make sure you listen to it and not push through.
2014-01-24 9:16 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
My rest day usually comes when I've pi$$ed out on my workout. This usually happens at least once a week. Life happens, and there's no way around it. When actively training, your body will tell you to rest. Especially when your efforts get longer in the build phase of training.

17/31 this morning with 40 minutes on the trainer. I lost 2 lbs. yesterday and am down to 196. Hoping to keep that steady through the weekend.
2014-01-24 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Like everything it depends. Swimming has such a low TSS (training stress score) that it probably won't hurt. The real issue isn't today thought - it's four days from now, when the stress accumulate throws off a tough workout later on in the training cycle.

That being said, I've had a lot of 10- and 14-day workout blocks, and I can feel the need for the rest day coming. Right now, my coach's program has two days off per week, and I haven't felt tired or sore yet.
2014-01-24 9:55 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Frig, woke up this morning with sore achilles. walking around with a limp. Did some run sprints yesterday and plyo jumps after spin...no issues right after. A bit sore last night but more so this morning.

Hoping this is temporary, as in feeling better tomorrow! Going to hit the NSAIDS and ice tonite.

Going to try go for a swim right after work and see how that goes.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2014-01-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

What I like about BT:

I found BT when I was getting ready for my first sprint triathlon in fall of 2012. The forums, race reports, and "my first triathlon" articles were a wealth of information and helped prepare me for things like what to wear and how to set up transition, etc. Now that I have more experience finding this mentor group is taking my participation on BT to a new level. I can post workouts, talk about beer, be motivated and help motivate.

For today's workout I'll be swimming 1500m. This weekend will have some rest on Saturday then hopefully a medium distance run on Sunday (5-6 miles, depending on how foot feels). I usually try to go for a bike ride on Saturday however this week I'm going to be cheering for my wife as she and a friend do a 5k "color walk/run" (participants wear white shirts, spectators throw colored dye-dust as they walk/run by). She's gradually getting into the walking/running as she works towards the Disney 5k later this year so this is a big step for her.

2014-01-24 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

What I like about BT:

I found BT when I was getting ready for my first sprint triathlon in fall of 2012. The forums, race reports, and "my first triathlon" articles were a wealth of information and helped prepare me for things like what to wear and how to set up transition, etc. Now that I have more experience finding this mentor group is taking my participation on BT to a new level. I can post workouts, talk about beer, be motivated and help motivate.

For today's workout I'll be swimming 1500m. This weekend will have some rest on Saturday then hopefully a medium distance run on Sunday (5-6 miles, depending on how foot feels). I usually try to go for a bike ride on Saturday however this week I'm going to be cheering for my wife as she and a friend do a 5k "color walk/run" (participants wear white shirts, spectators throw colored dye-dust as they walk/run by). She's gradually getting into the walking/running as she works towards the Disney 5k later this year so this is a big step for her.

It is great to get the signficant other invovled in parts or all of triathlon. S/B/R with your partner also alleviates any guilt when you are doing 3 of each/week!

2014-01-24 10:59 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Helloooo BaDAASses,

I've been a bit distracted with work this week, so my training has suffered a bit; but It's only January, so i'm not too worried.

Tuesday-workout 18/21: Track workout with my running group.  1.25 mile W/U, 6 x 800 meters (all in the 3:30/3:45 range) .25 recover.  Miller Lite beer reward.

Wed. I didn;t 'work out', but my 100 lb, Tasmanian Devil massage therapist worked me OVER for 55 min.  If you folks haven't discovered the healing magic of Deep Tissue massage-you should, run-NOT walk, RUN to a qualified therapist and take charge of your body.  I don't have disposable income-I'm a Federal employee who barely makes ends meet, but massage has gotten me healthy and so far, kept me healthy.  Rant Over!

Thur- 19/23-Got up early for swim.  10 x 100 (2:05/2:12) leaving in 2:35.  Was gonna ride roller to West Wing, but DVD died and motivation went with it.

Fri (planned)- Stair run with my group at 5:30. 

Hope everyone has great weekend and STAY HEALTHY!

BTW:  Some of people are realllyyyy dedicated-training through aches/pains, rough schedules, etc.  And that's good.  Just keep your perspective.  It's a 'lifestyle' for most of us; it's only a "Life" for a tiny few.  ENJOY!

2014-01-24 11:57 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Just counted and I'm at 23 sessions in 20 days of work. Going for a swim later today and getting ready for the TOUR OF SUFFERLANDRIA! Any BDAAS folks joining in this year? Excited for 9 days of intense bike work, this will be great for me!

Edited by Brian W 2014-01-24 11:57 AM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (347KB - 3 downloads)
2014-01-24 1:00 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

New user
I love the Sufferfest videos! I I not up for it this year but I have the tour on the calendar for next year 100%!

It has been a rough week workout wise - hubby was out of town so we were "short-staffed" on the home front lol. I haven't kept on pace to hit the workouts for January but I will for February. I was looking at my goals for the week and realized that I had put them in for next week but not this week - shows where my head is at...oh wait I can't find my head 'cause I lost it!

Very happy news that saved me a pile of $$ - the local shop got my heart rate monitor working and it cost me the fantastic sum of $17.89. So I am putting the cash I saved towards the cost of getting my bike re-fitted. It has been a while and I figure it needs dialing in.

I am a late adopter but I am going to join in the push-up challange. I am having a hard time adjusting to not hitting the weights (I feel like my hard-earned munscles are shrinking) I think the push-ups will give me a boost.
2014-01-24 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Sadly I only made it 800m into my 1500m swim before my leaky goggles got the best of me. They've been randomly leaky the last week or two so I decided to give up on them and got a new pair after I left the gym. In the store the new pair felt better (changed brands) so hopefully I won't have any more frustrating leaky eyes. Since I didn't make my full workout, no beer for me tonight

2014-01-24 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Sadly I only made it 800m into my 1500m swim before my leaky goggles got the best of me. They've been randomly leaky the last week or two so I decided to give up on them and got a new pair after I left the gym. In the store the new pair felt better (changed brands) so hopefully I won't have any more frustrating leaky eyes. Since I didn't make my full workout, no beer for me tonight

Discretion is the better part of valor.  You TRIED to swim, but your goggles didn't cooperate.   You put in a valiant effort-dang goggles.  Plus, it's Friday-Have a beer!  It's OK.

2014-01-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Brian W

Just counted and I'm at 23 sessions in 20 days of work. Going for a swim later today and getting ready for the TOUR OF SUFFERLANDRIA! Any BDAAS folks joining in this year? Excited for 9 days of intense bike work, this will be great for me!

Finished Rubber Glove yesterday - and set a new FTP number at 217, from my previous 200 even. I am not looking forward to ISLAGIATT or Angels/Hunted combo.
2014-01-25 10:58 AM

User image

Lansing, Michigan

Adding another event to the schedule. Xtera Olympic Grand Rapids MI October 5th.  My training partner is a huge mountain biker so this one is for him. A couple of things could make this really tough. The west side of Michigan is notoriously sandy and The 5th of October has a high of 76 and a low of 23. Somewhere in the middle will be perfect but the low is going to make for a very interesting event. Otherwise I think it will be an awesome experience. The trail riding and trail running will make for some great scenery. 

If my Olymipc on June 8th goes well is 2 months a reasonable amount of time to train and cycle back up to a half Ironman? I've been toying with the idea. I'm currently gearing up to start my Olympic training on Feb 3rd but I'll be using a 70.3 18 week plan

Thoughts?

2014-01-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: ervaller

User image

Expert
Hi All - I'm gonna to need you to hold me accountable ...

Yesterday was a rest day for me, which was good for the joints but not for willpower. Now, I just found out that we are going to the movies as a fam (gonna go see Jack Ryan - totally stoked about it) but I'm worried about getting my bike and swim in when I get home later in the afternoon. I know the couch will be so inviting...

So - a warm coors light for me if I don't come home and make it happen and a ton of crap from you if I don't post a positive update by 8pm tonight.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.