BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-06-27 10:30 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Originally posted by nicole14e

I could be up for a challenge, time permitting. What did you have in mind?

Skipped boot camp this morning and did spin instead, seeing as how I am 1 1/2 weeks from my Oly and hadn't been on a bike yet. It went really well though and I felt good. I know they are not the same, but they are similar and that gave me some confidence. My tri club is doing an SBR on Saturday so I'm planning on attending that, and will try to get out on my bike again on Monday, or go to the HIIT spin class they have that morning, although that is only 30 minutes. Do y'all think if I do spin next Wednesday that is too close to the tri on Saturday? I don't know if it would help or hurt me at that point.

Swimming tomorrow, going to run Friday and Sunday, then swim on Tuesday and maybe an easy swim on Thursday. I'm still nervous since it's an Oly but less so than I was before this morning!

Spin on Wednesday isn't likely to help...or hurt. In terms of fitness, what you do within two weeks of a race isn't really going to help you any. The hay is in the barn, as they say. As long as you take it easy on Thursday and Friday, I don't see how a spin on Wednesday could hurt. This isn't your A-race for the year, so I'd say do whatever you want, really.

Don't be nervous! You got an Oly, totally!!

2018-06-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I could be up for a challenge, time permitting. What did you have in mind?

Skipped boot camp this morning and did spin instead, seeing as how I am 1 1/2 weeks from my Oly and hadn't been on a bike yet. It went really well though and I felt good. I know they are not the same, but they are similar and that gave me some confidence. My tri club is doing an SBR on Saturday so I'm planning on attending that, and will try to get out on my bike again on Monday, or go to the HIIT spin class they have that morning, although that is only 30 minutes. Do y'all think if I do spin next Wednesday that is too close to the tri on Saturday? I don't know if it would help or hurt me at that point.

Swimming tomorrow, going to run Friday and Sunday, then swim on Tuesday and maybe an easy swim on Thursday. I'm still nervous since it's an Oly but less so than I was before this morning!

Spin on Wednesday isn't likely to help...or hurt. In terms of fitness, what you do within two weeks of a race isn't really going to help you any. The hay is in the barn, as they say. As long as you take it easy on Thursday and Friday, I don't see how a spin on Wednesday could hurt. This isn't your A-race for the year, so I'd say do whatever you want, really.

Don't be nervous! You got an Oly, totally!!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I never train much for the bike (I find it so boring!), so it won't be much different from previous races. I guess at this point it's more of a confidence builder for me, knowing that at least my strength training and swimming and running has given me a good enough base to survive the bike, haha. I think my fear is more mental than anything.
2018-06-27 3:09 PM

User image

Challenges....we used to do a certain number of SBR per month. So...say a goal of 30 in the month of July. To qualify it would be a minimum of 20 minutes running/30 minutes biking/15 minutes swimming? I'm making it up so am open to suggestions.

Went to the chiro today...as I feared, a strained rotator cuff. Fortunately just strained/grade 1, but I feel a lot like you Nicole...signing up for a tri with three or four dips in the pool in a year!!! I'm going to work hard on rehab and see where I get.

Sandi
2018-06-27 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by nicole14eI could be up for a challenge, time permitting. What did you have in mind? Skipped boot camp this morning and did spin instead, seeing as how I am 1 1/2 weeks from my Oly and hadn't been on a bike yet. It went really well though and I felt good. I know they are not the same, but they are similar and that gave me some confidence. My tri club is doing an SBR on Saturday so I'm planning on attending that, and will try to get out on my bike again on Monday, or go to the HIIT spin class they have that morning, although that is only 30 minutes. Do y'all think if I do spin next Wednesday that is too close to the tri on Saturday? I don't know if it would help or hurt me at that point. Swimming tomorrow, going to run Friday and Sunday, then swim on Tuesday and maybe an easy swim on Thursday. I'm still nervous since it's an Oly but less so than I was before this morning!
Spin on Wednesday isn't likely to help...or hurt. In terms of fitness, what you do within two weeks of a race isn't really going to help you any. The hay is in the barn, as they say. As long as you take it easy on Thursday and Friday, I don't see how a spin on Wednesday could hurt. This isn't your A-race for the year, so I'd say do whatever you want, really.Don't be nervous! You got an Oly, totally!!
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I never train much for the bike (I find it so boring!), so it won't be much different from previous races. I guess at this point it's more of a confidence builder for me, knowing that at least my strength training and swimming and running has given me a good enough base to survive the bike, haha. I think my fear is more mental than anything.
Spin class won't hurt - like Gretchen said it's not likely to help your bike fitness directly, but IIRC the literature (Friel) indicates that the less trained you are, the faster you absorb that fitness (he says newbies should train hard almost right up to race day vs. trained athletes benefit from the taper). Spinning will probably give you some saddle resiliance which will help for 25 miles.
2018-06-27 6:01 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by sandishrChallenges....we used to do a certain number of SBR per month. So...say a goal of 30 in the month of July. To qualify it would be a minimum of 20 minutes running/30 minutes biking/15 minutes swimming? I'm making it up so am open to suggestions.Went to the chiro today...as I feared, a strained rotator cuff. Fortunately just strained/grade 1, but I feel a lot like you Nicole...signing up for a tri with three or four dips in the pool in a year!!! I'm going to work hard on rehab and see where I get.Sandi
Glad your shoulder isn't too bad...stick with the rehab, it fixed my volleyball-trashed rotator cuff. As for challenges, the TdF one is basically self-directed, but the idea is to ride as many days as they do, so that's 21 out of 23 days. I usually scale mine to what they're doing, so for the short TTs I'll just do 20 minutes before I swim or something like that. And by "scale", I mean, like 20% of their distance at the MOST.I'm also good with the all sports one Sandy mentioned.
2018-06-28 8:58 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sandishr

Challenges....we used to do a certain number of SBR per month. So...say a goal of 30 in the month of July. To qualify it would be a minimum of 20 minutes running/30 minutes biking/15 minutes swimming? I'm making it up so am open to suggestions.

Went to the chiro today...as I feared, a strained rotator cuff. Fortunately just strained/grade 1, but I feel a lot like you Nicole...signing up for a tri with three or four dips in the pool in a year!!! I'm going to work hard on rehab and see where I get.

Sandi

Oh no! Glad it's not worse than a strain. Good luck with the training!

I would be down to aim for 30 SBR in July...you count each as one, right? not SBR everyday? haha (just checking, b/c that I cannot agree to)

2018-06-28 9:00 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14eI could be up for a challenge, time permitting. What did you have in mind? Skipped boot camp this morning and did spin instead, seeing as how I am 1 1/2 weeks from my Oly and hadn't been on a bike yet. It went really well though and I felt good. I know they are not the same, but they are similar and that gave me some confidence. My tri club is doing an SBR on Saturday so I'm planning on attending that, and will try to get out on my bike again on Monday, or go to the HIIT spin class they have that morning, although that is only 30 minutes. Do y'all think if I do spin next Wednesday that is too close to the tri on Saturday? I don't know if it would help or hurt me at that point. Swimming tomorrow, going to run Friday and Sunday, then swim on Tuesday and maybe an easy swim on Thursday. I'm still nervous since it's an Oly but less so than I was before this morning!
Spin on Wednesday isn't likely to help...or hurt. In terms of fitness, what you do within two weeks of a race isn't really going to help you any. The hay is in the barn, as they say. As long as you take it easy on Thursday and Friday, I don't see how a spin on Wednesday could hurt. This isn't your A-race for the year, so I'd say do whatever you want, really.Don't be nervous! You got an Oly, totally!!
Spin class won't hurt - like Gretchen said it's not likely to help your bike fitness directly, but IIRC the literature (Friel) indicates that the less trained you are, the faster you absorb that fitness (he says newbies should train hard almost right up to race day vs. trained athletes benefit from the taper). Spinning will probably give you some saddle resiliance which will help for 25 miles.

Yeah, I was thinking about that this morning. Getting on the bike a few times will at least get my sit bones adjusted before I go out there and do 25 miles on race day. I'm doing the Baltimore Bike Party tomorrow, so that will help too! And it will force me to finally get my bike out of the basement.

Thanks for the advice, guys!
2018-06-28 9:02 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Almost missed my swim this morning! My phone died in the middle of the night so my alarm was useless. I woke up at 5:45 (we meet at 5:30) and rushed to get ready and made it there by 6. Got 1600 yds in, so I'm happy with it.
2018-06-28 11:13 AM
in reply to: #5245114

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I’m up for a 30 sbr challenge in July!!

Brick today. Awful ride on the trainer that ended up being cut short when my neck started to spasm followed by a really great 12’ run.

Dad is coming down this weekend to help frame our new shed. I’m getting anxious to start filling it with stuff! The closer it comes to being finished, the more annoyed I am that our garage is so full of stuff.
2018-06-29 9:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ran 6 miles this morning. Felt pretty good, kept a nice pace throughout. This was my longest run in awhile. At least I know I can do it

Tonight I have Baltimore Bike party, which is basically a few hundred (I think sometimes even over 1k) people gather at a park and ride through the city along a specified route, ending at a brewery/area set up for an after party. This month's is a Pride Ride! I missed the parade a couple weeks ago so am excited to get to celebrate. This will also help those sit bones get adjusted for next week! Doing an SBR tomorrow so will try to take it somewhat easy
2018-06-30 10:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
First open water swim of the season is in the books. My tri club did an SBR this morning at the park where my tri in September is. Got in probably about 1400 yards. My shoulder was bothering me so I didn't want to push it too much. I left after that b/c I was hungry and my legs are dead from bike party yesterday. It's not a hard ride but we were basically on our bikes for 3 or 4 hours. It was a lot of fun though!

Now to lay by the pool and relax

2018-07-02 8:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1800m in the pool this morning. It was rough after a weekend framing our new shed. I think I spent 6 hours on a ladder on Sunday, which is like doing calf raises all day. Pretty much everything hurts this morning, but I actually feel better after the swim. Going to have to get creative this week to hit all of my workouts, because Dad is coming back on Thursday to do more shed work! Man! Trying to juggle work, shed building, tri training, and actually having a tiny bit of a life is getting hard!

July SBR Count: 1
2018-07-02 9:32 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Woke up at 4am and didn't fall back to sleep until right before my alarm was supposed to go off for me to get to my HIIT spin class. I chose sleep.

I signed up for this thing that you guys might be interested in yesterday. It's called the Amerithon Challenge. Basically you are trying to get 3,521 miles of training in (no time limit), as that is how many miles across the country (Golden Gate Bridge to the Washington Monument). So not only will your training for tri count towards something else, it will be extra motivation out of season! If you sign up, use my referral link! http://runtheedgestore.refr.cc/nicolee
It starts on July 4th. I am thinking about doing it solo and aiming to finish in 12-18 months. You can also do it in a team though! All activity counts, including walking, hiking, etc, and you can sync your garmin or fitbit to their tracker. Let me know if anyone ends up doing it so we can be accountability buddies for that, too!
2018-07-03 4:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another challenge?  Yikes.  I'm in 4 right now - Tour de France, Corporate Fitness, SBR 30, and July Core (10 min/day).  Not sure how I'm going to physically survive all of this.

Finished up a recovery week with a easy swim and bike ride on Saturday, and some hiking.  Then I decided to spend almost two hours doing yard work, something I haven't done since pre-back-surgery.  OUCH. 

Back at it Monday with 30 minutes on the bike, 1500 in the pool, plus some strength and core work.  Woke up at 4 AM this morning and couldn't fall back to sleep, so going for an easy trainer ride today.

2018-07-03 3:36 PM
in reply to: #5245211

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I feel like a pro today! Not so much the speed or power of my workouts, but the sleeping and napping and eating I’ve gotten in between those workouts! :D

Slept in (you know, until 7:30) and then ate and putzed around the house for a little while. Then went for an hour run followed immediately by a strength training session (I know, not ideal). Then lunch and one errand to pick up my parking sticker for the lake where my swim team is doing an ows tomorrow. After that—nap. Then 45’ bike ride in the hot, hot, hot. Now I’m off to shower and eat, followed by a nap before my wife comes home. Not a bad triathlon day at all!
2018-07-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #5245427

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Forgot to add

July s/b/r: 3

2018-07-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: #5245428

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Big training day for me today. Started with an ows at the local lake with the swim club. Then an hour bike followed by a quick run. Now I’m d.o.n.e. Tired. Good thing it is super hot out so I can justify not doing that yard work!

July sbr workouts: 6
2018-07-05 7:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Work has me super stressed which is affecting my sleep. I have a grant due Monday so once I am through that I will hopefully be better. Chose sleep over working out the last couple days, which may not be ideal for my tri this weekend, but it probably won't matter much in the long run.
2018-07-05 4:01 PM
in reply to: #5245456

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rough day today. Bike mechanical caused me to. Cut my long ride short today. Heat made the run afterwards really, really rough (but done).

SBR July: 8

PS...bike is already at the shop
2018-07-06 8:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen you are crushing this challenge!

Easy run this morning to prep for my race tomorrow. It looked as though I'd just run about 10 miles though. The humidity is awful today, but it's supposed to storm and cool down. Only a high of 80 tomorrow! Then I head straight to the beach to relax for the week!
2018-07-06 8:02 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh sorry, my numbers:

SBR July: 2 (this has not been a good week, ugh)

2018-07-06 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

SBR July:  8 so far.  Also nailed 8 straight days of at least 10 minutes of core work.  TdF challenge starts tomorrow - will look to get in about 20 miles or so with my daughter.

Good luck tomorrow, Nicole - glad the weather is going to break for you all.

2018-07-06 7:19 PM
in reply to: #5245510

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
SBR for July: 9

Really disjointed swim this morning at masters. Coach gave us a 20 min lecture first thing, then made us warm up as we would for our meet next week and practice going off the blocks. My first time off thr blocks ever.
2018-07-07 7:08 AM
in reply to: #5245715

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
July SBR: 10

1:30 run this morning. It was slow, but overall felt very good considering how tired I’ve been lately. Now for another day of shed building to make me really tired!
2018-07-08 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in 1300 SCY including a 500 TT (8:46, including 5-6 seconds fixing my goggles after the first 100).  PR by 7 seconds from two weeks ago, not sure if it's training or just getting better at racing/pacing that distance.  Followed that up with 20 miles - it felt really chilly at 72* and windy vs. the Cancun weather we've had here the last two weeks.  Going hiking this morning then I'll ride my bike home for Stage 2.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 56690 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14853 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363