Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-04-25 10:25 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Monday night 45 minutes easy treadmill jog. Tuesday was a national holiday for us ANZAC day (Veterans day would be the USA equivalent I think) Got a sleep in (8:30), the kids even cooperated with that, and in the evening 90min of mostly Z2 on zwift followed by a couple of beers watching the warriors play the ANZAC fixture (sport on a Tuesday is very unusual for us down here) Unfortunately we didn't get the result, going down to one of the competition favourites 30-22 (last year was a 70-10 demolition job), was much more encouraging for the rest of the season.

2023-04-26 12:33 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hi everyone!
I'm home and recovering from the weekend. It went really well!

Friday I got a very short ride in but waited too long and was too hungry and gave up pretty quick.

Saturday I woke up early, got to masters practice (got in about 2500 yds), followed by 2 football games. I thought I was going to take it pretty easy at football. I thought we'd have 5 girls and I'd just play every now and then. WRONG! We played 2 of the toughest teams we'll see this season, and 2 of the girls were so hungover, one didn't show and the other barely survived the first game, and spent the second one in the truck. I was already sore after they ended, then spent 5 hours in a car driving to NY. I couldn't get comfortable b/c my body was so sore...no bueno.
I got some stretching in that evening though, which definitely helped.

Race report:
Our wave started at 6:15am Sunday. I was the 3rd leg, which is the earliest I've run at this event and I really liked that.
My first leg was 4.9 miles and was mostly a steady incline, and it was probably about 7:20am when I started. My legs felt really tight in the first 2 miles or so, even though I stretched and did some mobility right before. This made me a little nervous. They started to loosen up and for the last 2 miles I felt great. I averaged around 8:22 pace, which I was really happy with, and felt really strong at the end. I didn't want to go too hard knowing I had 2 more legs still, thought my pace really surprised me at the end. Got about 11 roadkills (people I passed minus people who passed me).
My next leg (11:15am) was 4.7 miles, but almost completely downhill. I was FLYING. It felt so good to just let my legs go. It was gradual, so pretty much the most perfect leg possible. At the end it leveled out to be pretty flat, and I was starting to feel fatigue at that point, but that was probably only about .5-.75 miles. I finished around 7:50 pace. I was getting nervous b/c my team had stopped to let my friend's dog out, and I hadn't seen them pass a second time. Apparently they weren't expecting me that quick so got there right before I arrived lol.
My final leg started around 3:50pm, and was "only" 2.7 miles. The last leg is always the hardest for me because the lactic acid has built up a bit by now. Before each leg I made sure to stretch and do mobility, and stretched right after as well. I think I felt as good as I was going to. This leg had a downhill that led to an equal uphill, which is when I really struggled, but was able to push through the fatigue for the most part. I almost walked at one point, but was so ready to be done I just kept going. It ended pretty flat. I apparently ran it in sub-8 minutes, though it did NOT feel like it.

Overall I'm really thrilled with how it went. Our team overall totally crushed it. We had 2 people who seemed pretty fit but said they were 9ish minute milers. They did not include that's on trails. They were running around 7 minute mile pace all day...pretty incredible. They encouraged the rest of us to really push our legs. We all admitted that had they not been running at that pace, we would've probably taken it easier. We finished in about 11 hours and 38 minutes (77.7 miles total).

We had a few beers and some bubbly after, but were all so exhausted, I think I was in bed by 9:30. The race overall was great, though they definitely needed more port-a-pots. It's tough, b/c they need them all around the course, but they only had 5 at most places, and there are around 300 teams of 7 people each, so that's about 2100 people all using these between small windows of time. I would go every time I got the opportunity. Towards the end we were actually ahead of a lot of groups so it got easier, but I know the later teams probably still were dealing with the long lines. That, and some kind of lame food after, but that's a minor thing. We had an incredible time! Each year we get a little more prepared. Oh and I could actually walk the next day! The last 2 times I did it, I couldn't walk down stairs or hills for 2 days after. And now I'm pumped to train for next year!

This is great! Congratulations! Sounds like you had an awesome day!

Your comments about football made me laugh...then think longingly of the days I used to show up for stuff completely hung over...then remember why I am soooo glad I don't do that anymore. I remember showing up for a forensic recovery (i.e. looking for a dead body) once so hung over I actually hadn't been home yet--I slept in my car in the parking lot. There is nothing quite so awful as tromping around in the woods on a 100F day hungover and being expected to be the professional in charge. Barf...quite literally. Ha!
2023-04-26 12:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Monday night 45 minutes easy treadmill jog. Tuesday was a national holiday for us ANZAC day (Veterans day would be the USA equivalent I think) Got a sleep in (8:30), the kids even cooperated with that, and in the evening 90min of mostly Z2 on zwift followed by a couple of beers watching the warriors play the ANZAC fixture (sport on a Tuesday is very unusual for us down here) Unfortunately we didn't get the result, going down to one of the competition favourites 30-22 (last year was a 70-10 demolition job), was much more encouraging for the rest of the season.

What sport? I watched the ANZAC day Essendon v. Collingwood footy game (on delay) while I did my Z2 ride yesterday after work. As with you, my team didn't win (I didn't think they were going to, but one always holds out hope). At least it was close.
2023-04-26 12:37 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1750yds at the pool this morning. Absolutely zero snap in this swim today. Not sure what was going on, but I just didn't feel like I was able to move in the water today. Oh well...some days are like that. Nothing else on tap for me for the rest of the day...recovery week continues.
2023-04-26 4:59 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

1750yds at the pool this morning. Absolutely zero snap in this swim today. Not sure what was going on, but I just didn't feel like I was able to move in the water today. Oh well...some days are like that. Nothing else on tap for me for the rest of the day...recovery week continues.

it's recovery week, so a nice slow swim is probably what you need.
2023-04-26 7:59 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  I hear ya - I had the "lighter" surgery 7+ years ago and it helped one thing and probably contributed to another, and didn't fix the actual root cause so yes I'm delaying as long as possible; your day "off" seemed like a great one

@Nicole:  nice work!!  that's a great result especially as you didn't really train for that distance fully; OMG the gyms in college playing basketball on Saturday or Sunday mornings - hungover borderline still drunk college boys just reek  ...I may or may not have contributed LOL - I also played back-to-back all day volleyball tournaments (beach doubles, then grass triples) like that which made for a really rough Monday

@Nathalie:  put some bacitracin on those hands!  also love that you're outdoor swimming already (I'm too much of a wuss to get in the water yet and it's up to 62*F here)

@Gretchen:  those days where you just can't grab the water frustrate the hell out of me...I'm bad enough as it is without having a catch problem; enjoy your recovery week

Got in a decent Bikram Express (75 min version) this morning and I'll get in an aero Z2 ride at lunch on the trainer

Hope everyone is having a great week!

2023-04-26 10:02 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

luxury to be able to sleep in to 8:30 with young kids

I'm telling you, this is the Warriors' year
2023-04-26 10:03 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Hi everyone!

Friday I got a very short ride in but waited too long and was too hungry and gave up pretty quick.

Saturday I woke up early, got to masters practice (got in about 2500 yds), followed by 2 football games. I thought I was going to take it pretty easy at football. I thought we'd have 5 girls and I'd just play every now and then. WRONG! We played 2 of the toughest teams we'll see this season, and 2 of the girls were so hungover, one didn't show and the other barely survived the first game, and spent the second one in the truck. I was already sore after they ended, then spent 5 hours in a car driving to NY. I couldn't get comfortable b/c my body was so sore...no bueno.

Race report:
Our wave started at 6:15am Sunday. I was the 3rd leg, which is the earliest I've run at this event and I really liked that.
My first leg was 4.9 miles and was mostly a steady incline, and it was probably about 7:20am when I started. My legs felt really tight in the first 2 miles or so, even though I stretched and did some mobility right before. This made me a little nervous. They started to loosen up and for the last 2 miles I felt great. I averaged around 8:22 pace, which I was really happy with, and felt really strong at the end. I didn't want to go too hard knowing I had 2 more legs still, thought my pace really surprised me at the end. Got about 11 roadkills (people I passed minus people who passed me).
My next leg (11:15am) was 4.7 miles, but almost completely downhill. I was FLYING. It felt so good to just let my legs go. It was gradual, so pretty much the most perfect leg possible. At the end it leveled out to be pretty flat, and I was starting to feel fatigue at that point, but that was probably only about .5-.75 miles. I finished around 7:50 pace. I was getting nervous b/c my team had stopped to let my friend's dog out, and I hadn't seen them pass a second time. Apparently they weren't expecting me that quick so got there right before I arrived lol.
My final leg started around 3:50pm, and was "only" 2.7 miles. The last leg is always the hardest for me because the lactic acid has built up a bit by now. Before each leg I made sure to stretch and do mobility, and stretched right after as well. I think I felt as good as I was going to. This leg had a downhill that led to an equal uphill, which is when I really struggled, but was able to push through the fatigue for the most part. I almost walked at one point, but was so ready to be done I just kept going. It ended pretty flat. I apparently ran it in sub-8 minutes, though it did NOT feel like it.

Overall I'm really thrilled with how it went. Our team overall totally crushed it. We had 2 people who seemed pretty fit but said they were 9ish minute milers. They did not include that's on trails. They were running around 7 minute mile pace all day...pretty incredible. They encouraged the rest of us to really push our legs. We all admitted that had they not been running at that pace, we would've probably taken it easier. We finished in about 11 hours and 38 minutes (77.7 miles total).

We had a few beers and some bubbly after, but were all so exhausted, I think I was in bed by 9:30. The race overall was great, though they definitely needed more port-a-pots. It's tough, b/c they need them all around the course, but they only had 5 at most places, and there are around 300 teams of 7 people each, so that's about 2100 people all using these between small windows of time. I would go every time I got the opportunity. Towards the end we were actually ahead of a lot of groups so it got easier, but I know the later teams probably still were dealing with the long lines. That, and some kind of lame food after, but that's a minor thing. We had an incredible time! Each year we get a little more prepared. Oh and I could actually walk the next day! The last 2 times I did it, I couldn't walk down stairs or hills for 2 days after. And now I'm pumped to train for next year!

thanks for the race report, sounds like a fun race!
2023-04-26 10:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nathalie: put some bacitracin on those hands! also love that you're outdoor swimming already (I'm too much of a wuss to get in the water yet and it's up to 62*F here)

The hands are healing nicely, they already don't hurt anymore (they did yesterday)

I love that I am outdoor swimming already too. It's not about being a wuss or not, it's about wearing wetsuit, booties, gloves and double swim caps. Better that than going to the pool (or not going to the pool in my case).

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-04-26 1:01 PM
2023-04-26 10:10 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Your comments about football made me laugh...then think longingly of the days I used to show up for stuff completely hung over...then remember why I am soooo glad I don't do that anymore. I remember showing up for a forensic recovery (i.e. looking for a dead body) once so hung over I actually hadn't been home yet--I slept in my car in the parking lot. There is nothing quite so awful as tromping around in the woods on a 100F day hungover and being expected to be the professional in charge. Barf...quite literally. Ha!

oh yes, we've all been there...

Glad these times are over too
2023-04-26 2:39 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks everyone! It was definitely a lot of fun and gets a little more fun each year.

As for the hungover activities, I DEFINITELY used to be one of the culprits. I remember showing up to a football game on one hour of sleep. My friend had had a huge party, including a sunrise cruise on his boat for anyone who made it all night (which I actually did that year). My friend that had driven there got her car towed, so after the sunrise boat ride, I went to her house, slept for an hour, then drove her to pick up her car (I paid for half since it was partly my fault it got towed), and then we went to football at 10am. People came to the field to find me laying on the ground, arms outstretched, barely able to move.
I caught 4 touchdowns that day though! lol
Definitely miss those days...but also kind of don't. I avoid hangovers at all costs now, and love waking up rested and full of energy!

@Andrew, completely agree about hills being hard on the legs. Luckily this hill was pretty gradual though, and I think I was able to get my momentum to carry me so I avoided too much pounding on my legs. Taking them slower I think is actually harder sometimes, so I just (as Elsa would say) let it go

2023-04-26 2:40 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hi everyone!

Race report:

This is great! Congratulations! Sounds like you had an awesome day!

Ughhh you forgot the "looking for a dead body" part...I can't imagine being hungover and being like, ok, let's find a corpse now.
To be fair, I can't imagine ever being in a situation where I'm looking for a dead body...
2023-04-26 2:53 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nathalie, I applaud you for getting out there in your cold water gear. Great work!

Mike, Bikram express? Sounds awesome, though not very express, being only 15 minutes shorter than usual haha.

I got in a 30 minute ride this morning, and followed it up with a 2 mile run, including some cadence drills. I started a new Garmin running program to work on speed for my tri in a little over a month.
2023-04-26 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Nathalie, I applaud you for getting out there in your cold water gear. Great work! Mike, Bikram express? Sounds awesome, though not very express, being only 15 minutes shorter than usual haha. I got in a 30 minute ride this morning, and followed it up with a 2 mile run, including some cadence drills. I started a new Garmin running program to work on speed for my tri in a little over a month.

Where are you racing?

And yes, Bikram Express is a funny name.  When we were in Florida the studio had Bikram 60, which had very little in the way of savasana so it was actually a tougher workout than the other, longer ones.  

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-04-26 3:20 PM
2023-04-26 3:28 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ahhh savasana is the best part!

I'm doing the Rock Hall sprint in June
2023-04-26 4:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

What sport? I watched the ANZAC day Essendon v. Collingwood footy game (on delay) while I did my Z2 ride yesterday after work. As with you, my team didn't win (I didn't think they were going to, but one always holds out hope). At least it was close.

Its rugby league (NRL) Australia is a very regional when it comes to what sports are popular, Victoria/SA/WA are very much Aussie Rules states. NSW and Queensland are Rugby League. And over here in NZ we're into both rugbys, AFL has never made it popular on this side of the Tasman.

That said, our ANZAC game is against Melbourne. So go figure

2023-04-26 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

luxury to be able to sleep in to 8:30 with young kids

I'm telling you, this is the Warriors' year

Haha, you sound just like a Warriors fan. It's always our year Pre season we were favourites to finish last. So quite happy with how things have gone so far.
2023-04-26 4:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Easy 60 minute jog on the treadmill last night. It was a pretty slow easy pace, but still very impressed with how low my HR stayed after an hour jogging. I must be slowly getting fitter.

Garmin says rest day. To that I channel my inner Samuel L Jackson...

(pulp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pulp.jpg (6KB - 8 downloads)
2023-04-27 1:28 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—I regularly get messages from Garmin and/or TrainingPeaks suggesting I might need extra rest today. It isn’t unheard of for me to audibly respond to them!
2023-04-27 1:33 AM
in reply to: #5285236

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
60’ ride this morning with 24’ of Z3 right in the middle. Went super well, after I figured out what gear I needed to be in to match the right zone to my cadence. I’m a masher, no question about it. Always have been, and I do not see myself changing now. High cadence stuff makes me feel like I’m bouncing around on the saddle and I hate that (and it can hurt!).

I’m enjoying a work from home day today, so everything is a bit slower. I spent two hours on the balcony this morning. No idea what I did during those two hours…just sat and enjoyed the view. It was nice. I’m giving the keynote address at a conference next weekend, so I need quiet to talk through this presentation—that’s the only way I can get them done…out loud. I’m going to inflict it on my neighbors from the balcony all day! ????
2023-04-27 4:54 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

60’ ride this morning with 24’ of Z3 right in the middle. Went super well, after I figured out what gear I needed to be in to match the right zone to my cadence. I’m a masher, no question about it. Always have been, and I do not see myself changing now. High cadence stuff makes me feel like I’m bouncing around on the saddle and I hate that (and it can hurt!).

I’m enjoying a work from home day today, so everything is a bit slower. I spent two hours on the balcony this morning. No idea what I did during those two hours…just sat and enjoyed the view. It was nice. I’m giving the keynote address at a conference next weekend, so I need quiet to talk through this presentation—that’s the only way I can get them done…out loud. I’m going to inflict it on my neighbors from the balcony all day! ????

yeah, high cadence is a pain (litterally) and quite dangerous, I always feel I am going to fall off with all that bouncing (yes, even on the trainer)

I always need to practice out loud for a presentation, or it's not the same. I am sure the neighbours will enjoy it, and learn stuff

2023-04-27 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by drfoodlove 60’ ride this morning with 24’ of Z3 right in the middle. Went super well, after I figured out what gear I needed to be in to match the right zone to my cadence. I’m a masher, no question about it. Always have been, and I do not see myself changing now. High cadence stuff makes me feel like I’m bouncing around on the saddle and I hate that (and it can hurt!). I’m enjoying a work from home day today, so everything is a bit slower. I spent two hours on the balcony this morning. No idea what I did during those two hours…just sat and enjoyed the view. It was nice. I’m giving the keynote address at a conference next weekend, so I need quiet to talk through this presentation—that’s the only way I can get them done…out loud. I’m going to inflict it on my neighbors from the balcony all day! ????
yeah, high cadence is a pain (litterally) and quite dangerous, I always feel I am going to fall off with all that bouncing (yes, even on the trainer) I always need to practice out loud for a presentation, or it's not the same. I am sure the neighbours will enjoy it, and learn stuff

I do my high cadence work on spin bikes...I think it just works better.  It's tough to avoid the bouncing but I think that's the point of the work, to force you to hold your core and control through the speed?  Anyway, there's not a ton of benefit to it anyway other than hitting different systems.  I'm a masher, too, FWIW.

I'm also a "practice out loud" person when it comes to public speaking (even on Webex/Zoom), but thankfully I'm here alone a few hours a day in my basement home office so no one is tortured by my droning on and on until the real thing. 

2023-04-27 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Made it three straight days of good workouts with a 40' hard spin bike session, then lower body and core work, then a short swim to cool down.  90 minutes all-in.  Tomorrow will be a test with a six-mile walk session with some running sprinkled in outdoors, weather permitting.  It's supposed to rain all day and be windy so this might wind up on the treadmill, because 90 minutes on the treadmill sounds fun. 

2023-04-27 5:59 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Nice job on the consistency. Hope your run/walk fitness test goes well tomorrow

@Gretchen, nice ride. You're making fitness gains when 24 min of Z3 is 'easy'. Practicing your speech over the next week sounds like a good way to make sure you're staying in Z2 for your easy rides... how many repetitions of your presentation can you fit into a 90 min Z2 trainer ride? haha.

Re: Spinning/Mashing. Where do we draw the line for high/low cadence? When I was commuting a few days a week on the single speed I decided I was a spinner, not a masher. But for my trainer workouts I find comfortable cadence for the 'effort' intervals is 90-100rpm. Easy Z2 noodling around 80ish. So that's probably a masher, 120 rpm is where I start bouncing around like a lunatic on the pedals.

My consistency also continues, 60 minutes on zwift last night, with 4x2.5min @105%FTP. Anaerobic intervals according to the 80:20 training method. At the pool at 5:40am this morning for 1,000m, then back home for kids breakfast and the kindy run. The plan is for 60min on the treadmill tonight, easy Z2 spin Saturday and a short tempo run on Sunday.

Have a good weekend team.
2023-04-28 12:58 AM
in reply to: #5285237

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I have always considered 85rpm to be the divide between spinning and mashing. It stems from something I read many years ago, but I can’t remember what. I am most comfortable at about 80rpm. I bounce at about 90 and uncomfortable at about 95. My running cadence is also low. Maybe this is why I’m so slow in both biking and running (I mean…swimming too).

This morning was 2250yds in the pool. It get okay, except for the breathing. I must have slept funny last night, because I woke up with a sore neck. Turning to the right hurt, so I had to breathe to the left (weak side!). It wasn’t overly pretty, but I got it done.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland