2008-04-20 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1349565

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: RE: Team Lively Lava
lastcall2003 - 2008-04-20 7:19 AM
givemashot - 2008-04-19 10:30 PM

I'm almost afraid to show my face around here. I haven't done much in the last few days. I'm working on gettoing a trainer so I can get some time in the saddle. Between hubby's travel, my work schedule, the kid's activities, and the weather, I have yet to put in a single minute on the bike this month. We shall see what is available in my price range in the classified ads, and I'll chime in when the time starts adding up.

Until then KIU everyone!! We are HOTTT! We are lava after all, what else would you expect?

Hi Amy!  We know you are working on it and will do your best!

Do you have access to a gym and a stationary bike?  that would count as well if you can't get a bike or a trainer figured out

Yeah, every time I get on the stationary bike my ankle issue cranks up again, and the spin bikes are off limits unless you're in a spin class. But I did buy a used trainer today! Yay! I'm not sure how to put the bike on it yet, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

2008-04-21 12:41 AM
in reply to: #1302975

User image

Master
Utah
OK. So I figured out how ot use the trainer. The bad news is that I need a quick release skewer, and that my wheels are too smal to use with this trainer. Apparently, when purchased new, it comes with an adapter for smaller wheels. Looks like I'll be shopping around some more tomorrow. At least for a few parts if nothing else.
2008-04-21 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Good Morning Lava.  Hope every one has something on tap today.  My legs are still sore from yesterday's race.  I want to go swimming, but the pool is closed for passover today.  So I will take the bike out for an easy spin to work some of the lactic acid out of the legs.

Have a Great day!   Go Lava. 

2008-04-21 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1350581

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

givemashot - 2008-04-21 1:41 AM OK. So I figured out how ot use the trainer. The bad news is that I need a quick release skewer, and that my wheels are too smal to use with this trainer. Apparently, when purchased new, it comes with an adapter for smaller wheels. Looks like I'll be shopping around some more tomorrow. At least for a few parts if nothing else.

Good luck with finding the right stuff for the trainer.  It can be hard to train between husband's schedule and the kids....and that can be so frustrating.   Keep at it, you are doing great!  And getting the trainer to get your goal....that is dedication!

2008-04-21 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1349995

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2008-04-20 1:53 PM

Well, I finished my triathlon. The weather was aweful...cool and pouring rain almost the entire time. I completely tanked the swim...felt like I couldn't breathe and like I'd forgotten how to swim. I'm assuming it was from needing to put my face in the cold (65F) water. I rocked the ride and I think I did well on the run. I don't really know any of my times due to Garmin user error

I had "Hill Slug" written on my left calf. One woman got up pretty close to me on the ride and said "You're no Hill Slug. You're rockin these hills!" I thanked her and then dropped her

Funniest thing I heard...on the run "I think I'm getting swimmer's ear."

good job Nicole! glad you did well! does not surprise me that you rocked on the bike! kiu!

2008-04-21 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1350827

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
notarunnr - 2008-04-21 6:10 AM

givemashot - 2008-04-21 1:41 AM OK. So I figured out how ot use the trainer. The bad news is that I need a quick release skewer, and that my wheels are too smal to use with this trainer. Apparently, when purchased new, it comes with an adapter for smaller wheels. Looks like I'll be shopping around some more tomorrow. At least for a few parts if nothing else.

Good luck with finding the right stuff for the trainer.  It can be hard to train between husband's schedule and the kids....and that can be so frustrating.   Keep at it, you are doing great!  And getting the trainer to get your goal....that is dedication!

WOO HOO Tammy! that is a great time! make sure to log double for the 3 miles you ran...since it was a race! I am going to go find the race report for you and Nicole so that I can leave a nice little comment! congrats on the great time!

2008-04-21 10:02 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
2008-04-21 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
ok...what is going on people!??! time for a MIGHTY good portion of us to get your buns in gear!! get out ride those bikes, go to the gym and ride those stationary bikes, or there is always the trainer for bad weather rides.....run indoors on the treadmill if you are not a rain runner, or outside in the rain, snow and sleet...and SWIM SWIM SWIM!!! time to up those numbers! I will be putting out that nice little whose where list this afternoon! time to get busy.....the team is counting on you to reach those goals you set. I hope that you will suck it up and get busy! we have dropped to almost the bottom of the barrel....YIKES!!!! TIME TO DO SOME CATCHING UP!! we have just over a week to do some MAJOR CATCHING UP!!! FIRE UP!!! TEAM LAVA! time to erupt and get that lava flowing!
2008-04-21 10:48 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by CHR15 TREE 2008-04-21 10:48 AM
2008-04-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1351158

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Oh my gosh what happened....we really dropped! Get out there and swim, bike, and run!  We gotta make some miles up.  I put 5.5 on the bike this morning.  I wanted to do a recovery swim but the pool was closed for Passover, so I spun the legs out in the neighborhood, they feel much better now.

What is this about posting double miles for races?  I didn't hear anything about that.  I saw Nicole was double posting for her tri, but wasn't sure why.  Is that a rule? 

2008-04-21 11:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Okay so I went and checked the rules and saw that double posting counts for races. So I can up my run mileage, and I think I may be at goal for that.  How do I attach a race report, I can't figure it out.

I also saw that walking counts for the run part of the challenge, so all those miles that Beth walked when she was at the VB tournament count for the challenge. And given her love for the VB coach I bet they were some rigorous walking miles :)

Edited by notarunnr 2008-04-21 11:44 AM

2008-04-21 12:44 PM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I went over the top on my run goal this morning, with over a week to go - Yay! I should have no problem hitting my goals for swim & bike...

(now if someone would just kick my keester and get me to do the strength training, I'd be all set)

Edited by jsnowash 2008-04-21 12:45 PM
2008-04-21 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1351364

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
CHR15 TREE - 2008-04-21 8:48 AM

yeah yeah yeah... all talk... no trousers (hmmm me likey)...

Looks like your volcano is extinct and your lava solidified!!! Us Pumpkin(g)s just rolled on by!

of course you likey! you prevert! just you wait until the hot lava chicks and hottie firefighter erupts and rolls right over your pumpking patch! talk about no trousers! such a boy!

2008-04-21 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1351457

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
notarunnr - 2008-04-21 9:07 AM

Oh my gosh what happened....we really dropped! Get out there and swim, bike, and run!  We gotta make some miles up.  I put 5.5 on the bike this morning.  I wanted to do a recovery swim but the pool was closed for Passover, so I spun the legs out in the neighborhood, they feel much better now.

What is this about posting double miles for races?  I didn't hear anything about that.  I saw Nicole was double posting for her tri, but wasn't sure why.  Is that a rule? 

yes indeed! so if you ran, biked, swam or did a tri...make sure to double those miles for the spreadshee.....

Way to get out and ride today Tammy!

2008-04-21 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1351607

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
notarunnr - 2008-04-21 9:43 AM

Okay so I went and checked the rules and saw that double posting counts for races. So I can up my run mileage, and I think I may be at goal for that.  How do I attach a race report, I can't figure it out.

I also saw that walking counts for the run part of the challenge, so all those miles that Beth walked when she was at the VB tournament count for the challenge. And given her love for the VB coach I bet they were some rigorous walking miles

now that I did not know....I can not even begin to estimate the miles that I walked while in Arizona...plus the hikes that I have done...but may add some to my runs! I know that I will make my goal, but if that is the rule then hey why not add some!  We hardly ever moved our van that we rented....only to go get that infamous tattoo...otherwise we were on foot!

On an added note just got back from going to dermatology and having a biopsy for a lump on the back of my neck shaved and sent to analyze....I will not get results for a few weeks....but a little nervous since I am a cancer survivor....I am only telling you this, because it is an area that I do not often cover with sunscreen! PLEASE make sure to lather on the sunscreen each and every morning - IN ALL AREAS...even where your clothes cover! take it from this kid that use to fry her skin at the beach and pool! don't be a fool like I was! take care of your skin...and tge rewards are that your skin will look like my grammys who had not a wrinkle when she was in her 80's...unlike me that has tons in my 50's! ok...now that you have applied all that sunscreen.... go out and bike run and swim....we have A LOT of catching up to do!!! and we need everyones help to do this! so get busy!!!!

2008-04-21 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1352313

Expert
Hawaii
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 9:49 AM
notarunnr - 2008-04-21 9:07 AM

Oh my gosh what happened....we really dropped! Get out there and swim, bike, and run! We gotta make some miles up. I put 5.5 on the bike this morning. I wanted to do a recovery swim but the pool was closed for Passover, so I spun the legs out in the neighborhood, they feel much better now.

What is this about posting double miles for races? I didn't hear anything about that. I saw Nicole was double posting for her tri, but wasn't sure why. Is that a rule?

yes indeed! so if you ran, biked, swam or did a tri...make sure to double those miles for the spreadshee.....

Way to get out and ride today Tammy!

So, the races that we did count as double miles?  OR if we did something else the day of our tri those count as double miles?  

Let's go lava! 

2008-04-21 4:10 PM

Pro
Olney, MD

I think walking only counts towards your running goal if it's a normal part of your routine, i.e., 5min run/1min walk, etc.

As of today the month is 70% over. 61% of the team is behind the pace! Get in gear and log those miles and minutes! Let's GO GO GO!

Edited by MDHillSlug 2008-04-21 4:14 PM
2008-04-21 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1352614

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2008-04-21 2:10 PM

I think walking only counts towards your running goal if it's a normal part of your routine, i.e., 5min run/1min walk, etc.

As of today the month is 70% over. 61% of the team is behind the pace! Get in gear and log those miles and minutes! Let's GO GO GO!

x2 GO GO GO!

Hey Nicole....looked for your race report....could not find it! did you fill one out? if so, what was the name of the race? way to finish!!

2008-04-21 6:28 PM

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

I thought I would share a letter that was written by the IRONMAN announcer Mike Reilly...he sent this to my daughter and told her that this will more then likely be placed on the IM web page...and also will more then likely be used in a book that he is writing!....OMG! once again he made me cry!!!

IRONMAN ARIZONA - A Special Story. April 21, 2008

With almost 80 Ironmans on the microphone I have experienced a few pretty inspiring stories. They are all etched in my mind for life and some have affected me to become a better person. A person to not always complain about the small details of life that seem to get in our way of happiness and success.

Ironman Arizona last weekend reinforced that life lesson. It had a competitor entered in the race that was there for a very special reason and person. This story is one of those that will be with me forever. Mike Griffin from Lucas, Texas was like all the other athletes having to go thru the trials and tribulations of preparing for an Ironman. But Mike had a purpose in mind much different than that of the average Triathlete. With every breath he took while training putting in the many miles to get to the finish line he thought of nothing but his late wife Dorothy.

Dorothy was a Triathlete that lost her life at Ironman Florida attempting her first this past November. Losing a member of the Ironman family affects us all and to be witness to her family at the event obviously devastated was gut wrenching. Mike was actually on the course competing and the Ironman crew went out and found him so he could be at the hospital with her.

So Mike’s entire family was at Ironman Arizona supporting him throughout the week and race day. I have the pleasure of working with his niece at Active.com Stephanie Snaman. She introduced me to her family during the week and watching them on race day was a pure joy. They are a family full of passion and proud memories of Dorothy. Their support of Mike had to be in part a closing of their experience of losing her.

None of us can probably imagine what was going thru Mike’s mind throughout the 140.6 mile Ironman day. The roller coaster of emotions he may have experienced are now etched in his mind. But his solace was the fact that he and Dorothy shared the same goal, to be an Ironman. And knowing he had a ton of love waiting for him at the finish line had to be a huge comfort.

An Ironman 17 hour day is long, to not exactly know when someone you want to tell the world about is going to finish is stressful. Stressful because it haunts me all day that if I miss that special person I would be devastated. Yes in part for me but most of all for the family. I went into the VIP tent not long before Mike finished and talked to the family. The excitement of him getting close even made his Mom giddy when I talked with her. I also talked to Stephanie but she kind of just looked thru me. I believe her and the families’ pure joy of what was about to happen was overwhelming.

And here he comes toward his first Ironman finish just after 14 hours. The smile on his face was as wide as a house, his eyes were filled with nothing but love and passion and when I had the honor of calling him an Ironman the family went crazy with joy. At that moment I thought of a woman I had never even met and how she must be so proud of Mike and her family. She was with him every step of the way and her smile when he finished had to light up the heavens.

The next morning at the awards ceremony it was very evident to me that Dorothy was present. I was reading the top 5 results in the Women’s 50 – 54 age group bringing them on stage. As I got to third place I read the name Mike Griffin. It seemed so natural to me and I didn’t even realize I just read a man’s name in the women’s category. I even called it out twice because I knew Mike was there. As I saw him looking puzzled approaching the stage it hit me. Sure his name was placed in the women’s category by mistake but I hardly ever remember that happening. Usually I would notice something like this and not announce an incorrect name. Dorothy some how made sure everyone attending the awards heard his name especially her family.

I told Mike sorry it was a mistake you can go back to your table. But now I believe it was meant to happen and not a mistake!

So to Mike Griffin from Lucas, Texas I’ll put it in writing and as I do you know Dorothy is cheering it from above "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN".

Mike Reilly

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW! WHAT A GUY! he made my family feel like rock stars at this event! we were treated so special and were given so many great items...ironman backpacks, shirts, visors, socks, VIP badges and VIP bracelets...which got us anywhere we wanted to be on the course! HE WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN FOR MAKING THIS THE MOST MEMORABLE TRIP OUR FAMILY HAS BEEN ON IN SOME TIME! THANKS MIKE REILLY - YOU ARE A SUPER STAR TO US!!!!!

2008-04-21 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1352777

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 6:14 PM

Hey Nicole....looked for your race report....could not find it! did you fill one out? if so, what was the name of the race? way to finish!!

It took a while to get the race report up because I was waiting for the official results.

117/197 overall...7/13 in AG.

Would you believe my 20min swim was 8/13 in AG but my 31min run was 12/13?

MOP is not so bad, right?

2008-04-21 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1352936

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 7:28 PM

I thought I would share a letter that was written by the IRONMAN announcer Mike Reilly...he sent this to my daughter and told her that this will more then likely be placed on the IM web page...and also will more then likely be used in a book that he is writing!....OMG! once again he made me cry!!!

IRONMAN ARIZONA - A Special Story. April 21, 2008

With almost 80 Ironmans on the microphone I have experienced a few pretty inspiring stories. They are all etched in my mind for life and some have affected me to become a better person. A person to not always complain about the small details of life that seem to get in our way of happiness and success.

Ironman Arizona last weekend reinforced that life lesson. It had a competitor entered in the race that was there for a very special reason and person. This story is one of those that will be with me forever. Mike Griffin from Lucas, Texas was like all the other athletes having to go thru the trials and tribulations of preparing for an Ironman. But Mike had a purpose in mind much different than that of the average Triathlete. With every breath he took while training putting in the many miles to get to the finish line he thought of nothing but his late wife Dorothy.

Dorothy was a Triathlete that lost her life at Ironman Florida attempting her first this past November. Losing a member of the Ironman family affects us all and to be witness to her family at the event obviously devastated was gut wrenching. Mike was actually on the course competing and the Ironman crew went out and found him so he could be at the hospital with her.

So Mike’s entire family was at Ironman Arizona supporting him throughout the week and race day. I have the pleasure of working with his niece at Active.com Stephanie Snaman. She introduced me to her family during the week and watching them on race day was a pure joy. They are a family full of passion and proud memories of Dorothy. Their support of Mike had to be in part a closing of their experience of losing her.

None of us can probably imagine what was going thru Mike’s mind throughout the 140.6 mile Ironman day. The roller coaster of emotions he may have experienced are now etched in his mind. But his solace was the fact that he and Dorothy shared the same goal, to be an Ironman. And knowing he had a ton of love waiting for him at the finish line had to be a huge comfort.

An Ironman 17 hour day is long, to not exactly know when someone you want to tell the world about is going to finish is stressful. Stressful because it haunts me all day that if I miss that special person I would be devastated. Yes in part for me but most of all for the family. I went into the VIP tent not long before Mike finished and talked to the family. The excitement of him getting close even made his Mom giddy when I talked with her. I also talked to Stephanie but she kind of just looked thru me. I believe her and the families’ pure joy of what was about to happen was overwhelming.

And here he comes toward his first Ironman finish just after 14 hours. The smile on his face was as wide as a house, his eyes were filled with nothing but love and passion and when I had the honor of calling him an Ironman the family went crazy with joy. At that moment I thought of a woman I had never even met and how she must be so proud of Mike and her family. She was with him every step of the way and her smile when he finished had to light up the heavens.

The next morning at the awards ceremony it was very evident to me that Dorothy was present. I was reading the top 5 results in the Women’s 50 – 54 age group bringing them on stage. As I got to third place I read the name Mike Griffin. It seemed so natural to me and I didn’t even realize I just read a man’s name in the women’s category. I even called it out twice because I knew Mike was there. As I saw him looking puzzled approaching the stage it hit me. Sure his name was placed in the women’s category by mistake but I hardly ever remember that happening. Usually I would notice something like this and not announce an incorrect name. Dorothy some how made sure everyone attending the awards heard his name especially her family.

I told Mike sorry it was a mistake you can go back to your table. But now I believe it was meant to happen and not a mistake!

So to Mike Griffin from Lucas, Texas I’ll put it in writing and as I do you know Dorothy is cheering it from above "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN".

Mike Reilly

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW! WHAT A GUY! he made my family feel like rock stars at this event! we were treated so special and were given so many great items...ironman backpacks, shirts, visors, socks, VIP badges and VIP bracelets...which got us anywhere we wanted to be on the course! HE WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN FOR MAKING THIS THE MOST MEMORABLE TRIP OUR FAMILY HAS BEEN ON IN SOME TIME! THANKS MIKE REILLY - YOU ARE A SUPER STAR TO US!!!!!

Julie that is awesome! I do believe that Dorothy was watching over Mike the whole way, I love it when Mike Reilly says that when he crossed the finish line her smile must have lit up the heavens. I never really thought that his announcing Mike's name with the female competitors was anything more than a mistake, but now looking at it I am sure Dorothy had a hand in that too! What an awesome letter! I am glad that you all had such a good weekend; Mike has many reasons to be proud and feel loved!

2008-04-21 8:27 PM

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

wow, I am speechless - and I have more than one tear in my eye!

how inspiring

2008-04-21 8:32 PM

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Egads!  I just saw the week 3 update - what's up my lavaly teammates?

run, run, run, swim, swim, swim, bike, bike, bike

I know I'm behind a bit - but that was a known hiccup because of travels, we will get there! 

2008-04-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1352333

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 3:58 PM

Okay so I went and checked the rules and saw that double posting counts for races. So I can up my run mileage, and I think I may be at goal for that. How do I attach a race report, I can't figure it out.

I also saw that walking counts for the run part of the challenge, so all those miles that Beth walked when she was at the VB tournament count for the challenge. And given her love for the VB coach I bet they were some rigorous walking miles

now that I did not know....I can not even begin to estimate the miles that I walked while in Arizona...plus the hikes that I have done...but may add some to my runs! I know that I will make my goal, but if that is the rule then hey why not add some! We hardly ever moved our van that we rented....only to go get that infamous tattoo...otherwise we were on foot!

On an added note just got back from going to dermatology and having a biopsy for a lump on the back of my neck shaved and sent to analyze....I will not get results for a few weeks....but a little nervous since I am a cancer survivor....I am only telling you this, because it is an area that I do not often cover with sunscreen! PLEASE make sure to lather on the sunscreen each and every morning - IN ALL AREAS...even where your clothes cover! take it from this kid that use to fry her skin at the beach and pool! don't be a fool like I was! take care of your skin...and tge rewards are that your skin will look like my grammys who had not a wrinkle when she was in her 80's...unlike me that has tons in my 50's! ok...now that you have applied all that sunscreen.... go out and bike run and swim....we have A LOT of catching up to do!!! and we need everyones help to do this! so get busy!!!!

I will say a prayer that the lump is nothing, and cover myself and loved ones with sunscreen!

2008-04-21 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1353363

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
notarunnr - 2008-04-21 8:36 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 3:58 PM

Okay so I went and checked the rules and saw that double posting counts for races. So I can up my run mileage, and I think I may be at goal for that. How do I attach a race report, I can't figure it out.

now that I did not know....I can not even begin to estimate the miles that I walked while in Arizona...plus the hikes that I have done...but may add some to my runs! I know that I will make my goal, but if that is the rule then hey why not add some! We hardly ever moved our van that we rented....only to go get that infamous tattoo...otherwise we were on foot!

On an added note just got back from going to dermatology and having a biopsy for a lump on the back of my neck shaved and sent to analyze....I will not get results for a few weeks....but a little nervous since I am a cancer survivor....I am only telling you this, because it is an area that I do not often cover with sunscreen! PLEASE make sure to lather on the sunscreen each and every morning - IN ALL AREAS...even where your clothes cover! take it from this kid that use to fry her skin at the beach and pool! don't be a fool like I was! take care of your skin...and tge rewards are that your skin will look like my grammys who had not a wrinkle when she was in her 80's...unlike me that has tons in my 50's! ok...now that you have applied all that sunscreen.... go out and bike run and swim....we have A LOT of catching up to do!!! and we need everyones help to do this! so get busy!!!!

I will say a prayer that the lump is nothing, and cover myself and loved ones with sunscreen!

me too!  ugh, I totally missed this post - Julie - you are in our thoughts and prayers! 

New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Team Lively Lava Rss Feed  

of 37