BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-03-06 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2003096

User image

Master
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED
Gregkl - 2009-03-06 8:30 PM

Hey, Just wanted to let those of you that are doing Jorge's bike plan that for me it worked great.  I finally got outside today to ride and my average was almost 3 mph faster than in April of last year.

So I am ahead a month and faster!  I averaged 17+ mph and would have been closer to 20 if it wasn't for the 20 MPH headwind I had to ride into for about 4 miles or so!

Hopefully I will maintain it!  And hopefully those of you that have been suffering will have similar, if not better results!

So cool!! I definitely felt stronger my first outside ride, and I'm still doing the program!! It's been harder to fit in the rides lately (around my other rides) but I plan to plug away at them. Congratulations on the great results. You worked HARD for those! Yay!

2009-03-07 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Expert

I just got home from the Running of the Green- 4 miler. My time was 44.05.

I'm psyched that I finished it. There's no where to go but up, from here

Actually, for where I'm at right now, that's not a bad time for me. I didn't realize when I signed up for this that it attracts pretty serious runners from this area. All of the running clubs were well represented, as well as several school teams. I was at the very back of the pack.

I'm off to Syracuse for the weekend with my family. See you all when I get back.

2009-03-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2003096

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
That is an awesome improvement Greg! Congrats!!!
2009-03-07 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2003631

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
slow turtle - 2009-03-07 8:43 AM

Actually, for where I'm at right now, that's not a bad time for me. I didn't realize when I signed up for this that it attracts pretty serious runners from this area. All of the running clubs were well represented, as well as several school teams. I was at the very back of the pack.

I'm off to Syracuse for the weekend with my family. See you all when I get back.

Congratulations Heidi! You did great!!! Really nice start to the season! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2009-03-07 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
slow turtle - 2009-03-07 10:43 AM

Great job! 4 miles can be tough because it's too long to go all out so you have to pace yourself somewhat so you can finish without dieing!Smile Just remember that back of the pack is still ahead of about 96% of people in general! (I was good at statistics in collegeCool)

2009-03-07 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Congrats!! And great job!   I hope you enjoyed it, and enjoy your little getaway

2009-03-08 2:02 PM

User image

Master

Congratulations on your race, Heidi! I'm so glad you were able to pull it off after you had a rough week health-wise! Great going! I bet it was inspiring to be surrounded by so many other runners. Hope you had a great weekend. What's next?!
2009-03-08 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2004869

User image

Master
Question: What is "swim golf" ???????
2009-03-09 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2005201

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

kkcbelle - 2009-03-08 5:26 PM Question: What is "swim golf" ???????

On sets of 50's count strokes and add number to pace to get your "score" . Then try to lower your score on successive sets. 

There is also a really good performance member article on this at: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=750

Hope this helps

2009-03-10 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2007641

User image

Master
roni_runnw - 2009-03-09 10:44 PM

kkcbelle - 2009-03-08 5:26 PM Question: What is "swim golf" ???????

On sets of 50's count strokes and add number to pace to get your "score" . Then try to lower your score on successive sets. 

There is also a really good performance member article on this at: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=750

Hope this helps

Thanks Roni! And thanks for the article pointer. Duh, didn't think to search the articles for it!
2009-03-11 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hows everyones week going?   Im starting to lose motivation in this crap weather we still have going on!  I really really need some spring to spring up soon!

2009-03-11 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2010507

User image

Master
kellc09 - 2009-03-11 9:05 AM

Hows everyones week going?   Im starting to lose motivation in this crap weather we still have going on!  I really really need some spring to spring up soon!

I have a lighter week on tap, which is nice. Our weather has turned super cold (for us), and it is frustrating. I don't want to do another long trainer ride this week! So far it's looking good to get outside on Thursday. And Saturday is our last day of ski lessons, so I get my Saturday morning workouts back (until my son starts baseball in a few weeks).

BTW, kudos to Roni who did FOUR HOURS on her trainer yesterday!!

Kellie, it looks like you have recovered remarkably from your surgery. How does your knee feel, and how do you feel about the progress you've made? Are you 100% pain-free?
2009-03-11 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Let's see: Flew to Minneapolis to drive to Fargo. Didn't make it to Fargo.  Had to explain to boss when I picked him up why I didn't get much done.  Now I am traveling with him until Thursday here in Minneapolis.  It is really cold here and yesterday I drove around in the rain, snow, rain, sleet, snow,and fog all day trying to find some cold calls to make.  The cold was easy, the calls not so much.  Oh, and my leg is still bothering me.  Is is possible that someone as active as me could have a case of Phlebitus?  If I sit for any length of time in my car, the leg starts really hurting.  It hurts when I run, but after about 1.5 miles it feels fine. 

Other than that, my week is great!Cry  At least I got a run in and am able to do some exercising in my room when I lose the boss.  I am going to a meeting tomorrow back home for our newly formed local triathlon club.  That should get my spirits up!  I did ride outside one day last week and that was nice too.

Kellie, your losing motivation is still pretty darn motivating to us!  You have made an awesome recovery.  I remind myself that I may meet you in Muncie and I better be able to finish that race or you may fire me!  Now get going!  Spring is on it's way!  Remember, we are still technically in winter...

2009-03-11 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2012013

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Gregkl - 2009-03-11 5:33 PM

Let's see: Flew to Minneapolis to drive to Fargo. Didn't make it to Fargo.  Had to explain to boss when I picked him up why I didn't get much done.  Now I am traveling with him until Thursday here in Minneapolis.  It is really cold here and yesterday I drove around in the rain, snow, rain, sleet, snow,and fog all day trying to find some cold calls to make.  The cold was easy, the calls not so much.  Oh, and my leg is still bothering me.  Is is possible that someone as active as me could have a case of Phlebitus?  If I sit for any length of time in my car, the leg starts really hurting.  It hurts when I run, but after about 1.5 miles it feels fine. 

Other than that, my week is great!Cry  At least I got a run in and am able to do some exercising in my room when I lose the boss.  I am going to a meeting tomorrow back home for our newly formed local triathlon club.  That should get my spirits up!  I did ride outside one day last week and that was nice too.

Kellie, your losing motivation is still pretty darn motivating to us!  You have made an awesome recovery.  I remind myself that I may meet you in Muncie and I better be able to finish that race or you may fire me!  Now get going!  Spring is on it's way!  Remember, we are still technically in winter...

OH thanks Greg!   I hope to meet you at Muncie.  If the knee keeps healing enough to really train for it, I'll be going.  

Sounds like quite a week for you.   Im impressed on the workouts you can still get in!

2009-03-11 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2010728

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
kkcbelle - 2009-03-11 10:11 AM

I have a lighter week on tap, which is nice. Our weather has turned super cold (for us), and it is frustrating. I don't want to do another long trainer ride this week! So far it's looking good to get outside on Thursday. And Saturday is our last day of ski lessons, so I get my Saturday morning workouts back (until my son starts baseball in a few weeks). BTW, kudos to Roni who did FOUR HOURS on her trainer yesterday!! Kellie, it looks like you have recovered remarkably from your surgery. How does your knee feel, and how do you feel about the progress you've made? Are you 100% pain-free?

THe knee is ok.   Not 100%, but good.  THe interior incision area is still giving me a little bit of trouble, some discomfort, but might just be scar tissue.  Im feeling better about my progress, I will always be antsy about the running and having lost so much speed but it could be worse!  

ANd GO RONNI!  Man, I do not miss those 3 and 4 hour trainer rides

2009-03-12 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Thanks Kyla and Kellie! It was pretty dreadful, but one of the good things is I will never again complain about a 1 hour trainer ride

I've been scrambling to get my long workouts done during the week, because I'm traveling home and having company this weekend. So, I don't expect to get much done. That's what prompted the 4 hour trainer ride. Today I'm doing my 20 mile run. This will be my last long run before taper (by long I mean over 2 hours). It's funny how our definitions change. When I started running, 30 minutes would have been a long run

2009-03-12 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2013747

User image

Master
roni_runnw - 2009-03-12 1:08 PM

Thanks Kyla and Kellie! It was pretty dreadful, but one of the good things is I will never again complain about a 1 hour trainer ride

I've been scrambling to get my long workouts done during the week, because I'm traveling home and having company this weekend. So, I don't expect to get much done. That's what prompted the 4 hour trainer ride. Today I'm doing my 20 mile run. This will be my last long run before taper (by long I mean over 2 hours). It's funny how our definitions change. When I started running, 30 minutes would have been a long run

Wow, Roni -- that is quite a week!! A 4-hour ride AND a 20-mile run??!! Either of those is a big undertaking on any week. You are tough as nails. Enjoy the last long run. I *always* love having that behind me!!

I got to ride outside today for my 3:30 ride -- wooo hoo!!!!!! My training buddy met me after an hour (she only wanted to do 2:30, coming off some travel and sickness) so not only did I have fresh air, but I had a chatting partner too. It was funny to log my ride and check the HR -- I never left zone 1 when I was riding with her! (I did hit zone 2 before I met up with her.) So I'm trying to tell myself that is just fine -- that's what long rides are all about. We both felt good and talked a bunch about nutrition. We also definitely aren't drinking enough when we ride!!

Kellie, what's your strategy for getting nutrition during long rides/races? I ate my food (sando) and did drink some, but not enough for the time I was out there, and not enough to run a half mary after the ride!!
2009-03-12 10:33 PM

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2009-03-11 10:05 AM

Like Greg, I 've had to travel for work. I thought I was prepared to get in some runs from the hotel-but it was much colder there than the weather report had indicated it would be.  I had packed shorts and short sleeves, thinking it was going to be mid 50's. But it turned out to be 32 with windchills of 22- I definately couldn't run in that with the gear I brought!

I'm feeling very humbled by the run I did last Saturday. It has definately motivated me to become more focused on my running goals. I've been spending some time thinking about some scripts for myself to keep me motivated. I've also realized that I want to enter a few 5k's, just to get used to the mentality and atmosphere of races again.

Sunday starts my official training program for the Oly. I'm looking forward to it.

Roni- that 4 hour trainer ride was incredible! It's an inconceivable amount of time to me, right now.

2009-03-13 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2014607

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
kkcbelle - 2009-03-12 6:28 PM

Wow, Roni -- that is quite a week!! A 4-hour ride AND a 20-mile run??!! Either of those is a big undertaking on any week. You are tough as nails. Enjoy the last long run. I *always* love having that behind me!! I got to ride outside today for my 3:30 ride -- wooo hoo!!!!!! My training buddy met me after an hour (she only wanted to do 2:30, coming off some travel and sickness) so not only did I have fresh air, but I had a chatting partner too. It was funny to log my ride and check the HR -- I never left zone 1 when I was riding with her! (I did hit zone 2 before I met up with her.) So I'm trying to tell myself that is just fine -- that's what long rides are all about. We both felt good and talked a bunch about nutrition. We also definitely aren't drinking enough when we ride!! Kellie, what's your strategy for getting nutrition during long rides/races? I ate my food (sando) and did drink some, but not enough for the time I was out there, and not enough to run a half mary after the ride!!

I tend to drift myself and not always get in what I want to get in.  But, I try to down 1 bottle a hour.   My first HIM, I used solid foods (well, PBJ, gels, snacks) and water.  My second year of going long, I switched to gels and liquids.  The other stuff got too messy and then I  was spreading out the nutrition instead of taking in a half a PBJ at once.    For my IM, I went with all liquid, I had Infinit Nutrition guy help me customize a drink.  I would mix that with one water bottle and do one bottle a hour.  Then I was drinking enough and getting all my calories per hour.    Thats really what made me start to focus on drinking more.  Putting my calories in my water, I knew I wanted to get those calories in per hour so I thought about drinking more.  Then it just became second nature.

I do know people who set their watches, though Ive never been that way.   However, it is effective.  So if your losing track of time alot, that might be a place to start.  Then when you are fairly used to just picking up the waterbottle and drinking

Dont know if that helped at all, but for the most part you have to come up with a way to remember that works for you!

2009-03-14 12:54 AM
in reply to: #2015013

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
slow turtle - 2009-03-12 8:33 PM
kellc09 - 2009-03-11 10:05 AM

Roni- that 4 hour trainer ride was incredible! It's an inconceivable amount of time to me, right now.

Thanks Heidi! It's an inconceivable amount of time to me too. You definitely don't want to watch the clock Hopefully the weather will be nice enough that I won't have to repeat it!

2009-03-14 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2015342

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
kellc09 - 2009-03-13 8:07 AM
kkcbelle - 2009-03-12 6:28 PM

Wow, Roni -- that is quite a week!! A 4-hour ride AND a 20-mile run??!! Either of those is a big undertaking on any week. You are tough as nails. Enjoy the last long run. I *always* love having that behind me!! I got to ride outside today for my 3:30 ride -- wooo hoo!!!!!! My training buddy met me after an hour (she only wanted to do 2:30, coming off some travel and sickness) so not only did I have fresh air, but I had a chatting partner too. It was funny to log my ride and check the HR -- I never left zone 1 when I was riding with her! (I did hit zone 2 before I met up with her.) So I'm trying to tell myself that is just fine -- that's what long rides are all about. We both felt good and talked a bunch about nutrition. We also definitely aren't drinking enough when we ride!! Kellie, what's your strategy for getting nutrition during long rides/races? I ate my food (sando) and did drink some, but not enough for the time I was out there, and not enough to run a half mary after the ride!!

I tend to drift myself and not always get in what I want to get in.  But, I try to down 1 bottle a hour.   My first HIM, I used solid foods (well, PBJ, gels, snacks) and water.  My second year of going long, I switched to gels and liquids.  The other stuff got too messy and then I  was spreading out the nutrition instead of taking in a half a PBJ at once.    For my IM, I went with all liquid, I had Infinit Nutrition guy help me customize a drink.  I would mix that with one water bottle and do one bottle a hour.  Then I was drinking enough and getting all my calories per hour.    Thats really what made me start to focus on drinking more.  Putting my calories in my water, I knew I wanted to get those calories in per hour so I thought about drinking more.  Then it just became second nature.

I do know people who set their watches, though Ive never been that way.   However, it is effective.  So if your losing track of time alot, that might be a place to start.  Then when you are fairly used to just picking up the waterbottle and drinking

Dont know if that helped at all, but for the most part you have to come up with a way to remember that works for you!

I have my cycle computer set to beep every 11 minutes.  I wanted 10 but overshot setting it and was too lazy to go around again.  That reminds me to drink.  I used Infinit and gels on my HIM last year, but I really  think I can get away with just the Infinit.  I also just bought the Infinit Recovery formula since my Endurox ran out.  I like the Infinit much better.  For those of you who are using Infinit, you know that one of the nice things about the product is the light taste and feel.  The Recovery drink is the same way.

I am going to try my HIM this summer with all liquid calories and no salt tabs, just using Infinit.  I would like to keep it simple and hopefully repeat the same for IM in 2010.

...of course a quarter peanut butter sandwich during the ride at miles 12,26, and 48 could be a nice thing to help prevent "flavor fatigue"...

2009-03-14 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2017960

User image

Master
Do you guys have any protein in your Infinit blend? I tried something a year or two ago -- don't remember what it was, Perpetum, or something? -- with protein and on a 20-mile run I ended feeling stronger than ever. Who knows if it was just a good day, good pacing, or the added nutrition.

I have tried to get away from gels. I used to use them exclusively on long runs but they really cause peaks and valleys for me. So I am enjoying the liquid nutrition. And yeah, I quarter up sandos for longer rides, either almond butter/honey or peanut butter/Nutella.

I may need to get on the phone with Inifinit and order me a batch. I love that you can dial down the flavor as I hate the sweet stuff. Ick. One Nuun tablet in a bottle of water is about the perfect level of flavor for me. Pure water tastes mighty fine too, IMO.

I think it's also harder to be good about drinking when it's not hot outside. My long ride was done starting around 35 degrees, peaking out around 45. Sunny, but definitley chilly.

Thanks for sharing what works! I love reading about what people do for nutrition. There are so many ways to skin that cat!
2009-03-15 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2018205

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

kkcbelle - 2009-03-14 7:16 PM Do you guys have any protein in your Infinit blend? I tried something a year or two ago -- don't remember what it was, Perpetum, or something? -- with protein and on a 20-mile run I ended feeling stronger than ever. Who knows if it was just a good day, good pacing, or the added nutrition. I have tried to get away from gels. I used to use them exclusively on long runs but they really cause peaks and valleys for me. So I am enjoying the liquid nutrition. And yeah, I quarter up sandos for longer rides, either almond butter/honey or peanut butter/Nutella. I may need to get on the phone with Inifinit and order me a batch. I love that you can dial down the flavor as I hate the sweet stuff. Ick. One Nuun tablet in a bottle of water is about the perfect level of flavor for me. Pure water tastes mighty fine too, IMO. I think it's also harder to be good about drinking when it's not hot outside. My long ride was done starting around 35 degrees, peaking out around 45. Sunny, but definitley chilly. Thanks for sharing what works! I love reading about what people do for nutrition. There are so many ways to skin that cat!

Kyla, Infinit does have protein in it.  It is different depending on the formulas.  I use standard formula's: the IM formula for training and racing, and the recovery for, well, recovery!  I did try a custom blend that increased the sodium content for the run, but it proved to salty so I went back to the standard IM formula.  I will see how the hot rides and runs go this year.  If I need more salt, I will take a couple salt capsules if  necessary.  Taste is subjective, but I think the taste of the Infinit product even in their standard formulations is fine.  It makes Gatorade seem overly sticky sweet.  I can drink it warm without any issues also.  Perpetum is a Hammer Nutrition product and I have tried their's also, but they didn't work for me.  They wouldn't mix well and I did not care for the taste.  Plus without getting to scientific, Hammer believes that anything other than Maltodextrin for a carb source is bad, and I think Infinit's stand is that multiple forms of "sugar" have their place in sports fuel.  I made my decision on what I could get down and keep down when I am out there 5+ hours in hot, humid weather.  Infinit seems to fit the bill.

2009-03-15 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2018205

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-03-14 7:16 PM Do you guys have any protein in your Infinit blend? I tried something a year or two ago -- don't remember what it was, Perpetum, or something? -- with protein and on a 20-mile run I ended feeling stronger than ever. Who knows if it was just a good day, good pacing, or the added nutrition. I have tried to get away from gels. I used to use them exclusively on long runs but they really cause peaks and valleys for me. So I am enjoying the liquid nutrition. And yeah, I quarter up sandos for longer rides, either almond butter/honey or peanut butter/Nutella. I may need to get on the phone with Inifinit and order me a batch. I love that you can dial down the flavor as I hate the sweet stuff. Ick. One Nuun tablet in a bottle of water is about the perfect level of flavor for me. Pure water tastes mighty fine too, IMO. I think it's also harder to be good about drinking when it's not hot outside. My long ride was done starting around 35 degrees, peaking out around 45. Sunny, but definitley chilly. Thanks for sharing what works! I love reading about what people do for nutrition. There are so many ways to skin that cat!

Infinit has a protein option.  I customized mine, and made one blend with (for longer distances and biking) and one without.  The one without is what I call my "sprint mix" and i tend to use it for running, and anything Oly and under.  My bike "longer" formula has more calories since I can digest more calories  on the bike than on the run, and then I dont have to supplement with any gels or anything on top of the infinit, and it also has a bit of protein.    Both of my mixes are dialed wayyyyy down in flavor.  Most of what I cant take from the other brands is they are too sweet for me.    I also have a higher sodium mix in my Infinit then most brands.  I like it, Ive messed with the formula a bit, but not too much.   I use one flavor on the bike, and another on the run just to mix it up a bit.  

Edited by kellc09 2009-03-15 4:21 PM
2009-03-15 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2019187

User image

Master
Thanks for the Infinit options, guys! I do need to give it a try. I played with their website once last year but ended up feeling overwhelmed in terms of how to customize. Plus I didn't have any plans beyond a marathon for the distance future so never pursued it. I agree with you, Kellie, in that most mixes are too sweet for me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30