BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-02-06 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!

2x2 review:  Well - going well here.  Miss a day or two here and there, but all is going much better than last summer when I thought it was going well.  Weight loss - still hovering, but shape and % body fat is going right direction.  Note to all - don't get tied up too much with the scale since that is only part of the story.

Race schedule - full and looking at adding fill-in.  Jan (girlfriend) and I were talking about goals this year and she wants to do sub-30 5k and wanted to do a 10k.  I was thinking about adding a marathon late in the year (looking at a full ironman next year, so why not) and a 5k under 24 minutes (have not yet hit 25 minutes, but I'm close enough to set a new goal). 

Was riding last night on the drainer and Jan was running on the dreadmill when I asked what her HR was and her speed (high 140s and 5.5mph).  I reached over and hit 6.5 and told her 30 seconds - counted it down for her.  30 sec recover, and I hit 7mph on for 45 seconds.  Back down for 30 then 7.5 for 30.  She just kept running it for several more at 7 mph.  Heart rate hit 168, so we went back to 5.5 mph to finish.  At 4.5 miles in, she asked for me to hit it some more and we did one at 7mph for 1 minute.  She shocked me when she hit 4.75 miles and asked for me to do one more sprint until she finished.  I asked for her HR (low 150s) and so I hit 8mph.  She gasped and said no way, but she kep running and kept running.  She hit 5 miles and jumped onto the rails grinning like crazy.  One workout and she hit her longest distance to date AND fastes speed - a good 1.5 MPH faster than she thought she could do.  HR hit 176 (she is 48) when she was done, but she

She talked about it all day today - so happy - never ran as far or as fast - commented all it took was a little push.  So - how hard can you go?  Think your max speed is 8 - try 8.5 for 20 seconds.  Think it is 5.5 - try 6.

What will you do this week to put a smile on your face?

2011-02-06 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3341167

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

crystalashworth - 2011-02-05 9:55 PM Another crappy work week - long hours, stress, yada yada.  Only did my one core workout on Monday - and nothing the remainder of the week.  I get to go pick up my bike from the shop tomorrow after I had it tuned up and a new rim put on the front.  So, maybe I'll go for an afternoon bike ride.   

SMILE!  Just SMILE!  When work goes south, go to the ladies room and practice your smile in front of the mirror.  Corney, stupid, or whatever, but it works.  Do the same thing in the AM getting ready.  It is a simple action that sets the stage for the rest of your feelings.

I'm sure you will beat whatever you have and will get through this week doing at least double the work you did last week - think that is a goal you can meet?  How about considering it a personal challenge:  You are hereby challenged to double your last week's workout.

2011-02-06 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3339618

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
lounav - 2011-02-04 1:39 PM Okay Manatees - This newbie needs a training plan lesson.  I'm following one of the BT plans (with some changes to which days I'm doing what due to scheduling, but following the times, etc.).  What I don't really understand is what the most important (and least important) parts are of the plan.  Where am I at most risk for messing something up if I don't follow it closely?  For example, I've been taking swim lessons this month, so I've been adding extra swim time - is this a problem?  Is this a problem when I head into my recovery week next week?  At this point I am just blindly following the plan, I'm trusting in it, but I don't really understand it.  So anyone that would like to give me some lessons/advice, I'll gladly take it.  Thanks!

I'm no expert, but agree that you can trust in the plan if you selected well.  If you are into a recovery week and do not feel burned out yet and don't have unusual aches and paints - no worries.  The swim is no-impact, so you can't really go too wrong by doing extra there - keep your shoulders stretched out and look out for pain / pinching type aches since that could be a sign of trouble.

Do be careful though in just hitting your times and not getting in adequate distance.  Looks like your Tri is a sprint, so you are probably already getting close to the required distances and will reach them early this summer; however, if you don't start hitting the distance during your peak training period, consider increasing the time a little.   THIS IS PERSONAL ADVICE.  I was doing time only training and when I did my 1st tri, I had never run the required distance before.  Although I did finish and I did come close to my anticipated run time, it was much harder than I imagined it would be.  Since then I'll always try to race distances at least once during training.

As always - try throwing in some speed work - don't have to do much.  Whenever doing speed work, focus on form and other things to keep your mind off the effort.  Keep making little changes to try to find what is easier (i.e. faster turnover speed with smaller stride length).

Finally, in making changes, try to not align two hard sessions in the same sport in back to back days.
2011-02-07 1:33 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Hey, John! Thanks for holding up the fort!!! very good responses.

In case anyone was watching or wondering ... the mad manatee health pickle challenge has passed its first checkpoint (last Thursday).

And in case anyone's REALLY watching or wondering (apparently, not even I am) ...

my waist measurement went DOWN from 68 to 67 cm

my hip measurement went UP from 82 to 87 cm

I dunno how that happened either. I might actually measure at the same time, and measure every day, to get a better idea of trending. I can sure grow a good food baby and also since my lower-belly roll is included in my hip measurement some bad gas could really make for a bad measurement. THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKIN' TO IT!!!

How are you all doing?
2011-02-07 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Second week of the second month - I was thinking to myself earlier how fast time has gone already...

I am great with some things and not so great in others. On the plus side, I have been very regular with putting Elphaba on the drainer and following the beginner cycling plan. I have been able to get to the pool several times for some really good workouts IMO. I am feeling overall very good, and have just restarted my core and weight routines; re-upped at my gym,, and signed up for a few races in the summer.

On the not so great side is my running and my weight. The apparent death of my treadmill combined with the advent of Snowpocalypse 2011 has kept me from running. Just yesterday I went out several places , thhat were all either completely snowfilled or black ice. Not safe to run on the streets here now either, as they are narrow from all the snow still on the curbs and sidewalks. I haven't gotten my ever widening butt to Masters swim yet either. My eating needs to improve....I eat clean, but I eat too much. I'm not an emotional eater but I find it very difficult to diet when I am stressed - easier to exercise and then just eat when I am hungry, even if it is at 10 pm.

So all things considered, I am ok. I am re-focusing this week (yet again!) In the  meantime, I am going to keep looking for swimming closer to home or my job, and the weather will lighten up eventually so I can get back outside even occasionally for a jog. I also need to get more sleep, but not sure yet how to do that. I relish my quiet time after the kids (and often DH) have gone to bed................

Happy Monday!
2011-02-07 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3343464

User image

Melon Presser
bluwatersoul - 2011-02-08 4:18 AM Second week of the second month - I was thinking to myself earlier how fast time has gone already...

I am great with some things and not so great in others. On the plus side, I have been very regular with putting Elphaba on the drainer and following the beginner cycling plan. I have been able to get to the pool several times for some really good workouts IMO. I am feeling overall very good, and have just restarted my core and weight routines; re-upped at my gym,, and signed up for a few races in the summer.

On the not so great side is my running and my weight. The apparent death of my treadmill combined with the advent of Snowpocalypse 2011 has kept me from running. Just yesterday I went out several places , thhat were all either completely snowfilled or black ice. Not safe to run on the streets here now either, as they are narrow from all the snow still on the curbs and sidewalks. I haven't gotten my ever widening butt to Masters swim yet either. My eating needs to improve....I eat clean, but I eat too much. I'm not an emotional eater but I find it very difficult to diet when I am stressed - easier to exercise and then just eat when I am hungry, even if it is at 10 pm.

So all things considered, I am ok. I am re-focusing this week (yet again!) In the  meantime, I am going to keep looking for swimming closer to home or my job, and the weather will lighten up eventually so I can get back outside even occasionally for a jog. I also need to get more sleep, but not sure yet how to do that. I relish my quiet time after the kids (and often DH) have gone to bed................

Happy Monday!

Sounds to me like you're doing awesome. It is *not easy* to change a lot of things all at once and the fact that you've been able to be consistent with a major one--cycling--is key.

More sleep--any possible to get a catnap or two during the day?

Also, if you can stretch your time at the pool out, could you fit in a short aquajog? That goes a long way towards running if you can't actually run ...

2011-02-07 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3341357

User image

Veteran
Austin
lmscozz - 2011-02-06 9:30 AM
With the second week of the second month of the year upon us, it's often times when resolutions and goals get tougher and go astray. It's a good time to take a fresh and honest look at our training. Are we where we thought we'd be? Are we still motivated for our first event? Do we have a first event on the books? There's no better motivation than to sign up for an event to keep us focused.

Chime in and let's see where everyone's head is.

Claire and John- Thanks for the training plan advice.  It was helpful!

As far as resolutions and goals - things are going okay with me.  My training plan has been going well.  I'm sticking to it and just taking it head on as best I can.  I'm week 3 of 4 with my swim lessons and when I timed myself today (at the end of my swim and post spin class) I had taken 13 seconds off my 100.  I'm still nice and slow, but feel happy to be going in the right direction.  Now I have to work on my swimming endurance.  My biking is coming along well.  I've gotten over a lot of my fear (as you all promised I would as I biked more), now I'm just working on trying to bring my speed up while being able to maintain my endurance.  Running is going okay, it takes the back burner compared to bike and swim.  I'm only doing 2x week run, but am hoping to be able to change my schedule a bit to get my 3rd run in.  I'm feeling stronger and more confident, so I'm happy with how things are going.

But, as far as weight and nutrition - that isn't going as well.  I've gained weight since I started training.  I'm just really hungry all the time and haven't managed to work through it in a healthy way.  I'm trying to recommit to this, so hopefully I'll figure it out soon.  I'm thinking about doing a food log, but have been dragging my feet on it. 

2011-02-07 5:55 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Bragging time. 193#. Clydesdale Mike is dead. Long live MZUNGU Mike.
2011-02-08 2:04 AM
in reply to: #3343923

User image

Melon Presser
pga_mike - 2011-02-08 7:55 AM Bragging time. 193#. Clydesdale Mike is dead. Long live MZUNGU Mike.

BWAH HAA HAAAAAA

I speak a little Swahili.

try 'Mike mikubwa miguu' on for size ...
2011-02-08 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
pga_mike - 2011-02-07 4:55 PM Bragging time. 193#. Clydesdale Mike is dead. Long live MZUNGU Mike.

WAY TO GO MIKE!!
2011-02-08 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3343714

User image

Master
Vista, CA

lounav - 2011-02-07 2:00 PM
lmscozz - 2011-02-06 9:30 AM
With the second week of the second month of the year upon us, it's often times when resolutions and goals get tougher and go astray. It's a good time to take a fresh and honest look at our training. Are we where we thought we'd be? Are we still motivated for our first event? Do we have a first event on the books? There's no better motivation than to sign up for an event to keep us focused.

Chime in and let's see where everyone's head is.

Claire and John- Thanks for the training plan advice.  It was helpful!

As far as resolutions and goals - things are going okay with me.  My training plan has been going well.  I'm sticking to it and just taking it head on as best I can.  I'm week 3 of 4 with my swim lessons and when I timed myself today (at the end of my swim and post spin class) I had taken 13 seconds off my 100.  I'm still nice and slow, but feel happy to be going in the right direction.  Now I have to work on my swimming endurance.  My biking is coming along well.  I've gotten over a lot of my fear (as you all promised I would as I biked more), now I'm just working on trying to bring my speed up while being able to maintain my endurance.  Running is going okay, it takes the back burner compared to bike and swim.  I'm only doing 2x week run, but am hoping to be able to change my schedule a bit to get my 3rd run in.  I'm feeling stronger and more confident, so I'm happy with how things are going.

But, as far as weight and nutrition - that isn't going as well.  I've gained weight since I started training.  I'm just really hungry all the time and haven't managed to work through it in a healthy way.  I'm trying to recommit to this, so hopefully I'll figure it out soon.  I'm thinking about doing a food log, but have been dragging my feet on it. 

Glad you're feeling more comfortable on the bike. Don't worry about the run. You'll be able to get in that run. You'll be amazed at how much bike fitness carries over to run as far as endurance. Don't get me wrong, you'll still need to run some, but the bike really helps and it's a great recovery tool after a hard run.

Not to fret, many people actually gain weight on the scale when tri training. Sometimes a better barometer is how your clothes fit and how you're feeling. It can also be what you're eating as well as how much. Logging food intake can be a great way to become conscious of how much you're eating. The food logs on here are pretty good and there's an app called lose it that will let you log food intake and exercise expenditure. Also, the Livestrong site also has a way to log food intake, but I think you need to "join" somehow. http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/

I also think you got some good advice re: training plan. It's a guide not a god so just do what you can and if you miss something you don't go back and try to make it up...just move on.  I did a BT plan for beginners for my first tri and was worried I wouldn't be prepared, but it did the job fine.

Have a great day!

2011-02-08 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

pga_mike - 2011-02-07 3:55 PM Bragging time. 193#. Clydesdale Mike is dead. Long live MZUNGU Mike.

WOO-HOO! Congrats not-so-big Mike!

2011-02-08 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Training plan Advise - MISSED TRAINING:  (from Be IronFit by Don Fink)

- Miss 1 day:  skip it and pick up with the plan on the next day.  DO NOT DOUBLE to make up for it.

- Miss 2-3 Days:  Skip the lost days and rejoin the schedule BUT only do 1/2 of the planned workout on the 1st day back.  Resume full workout on the 2nd day back.

- Miss 4-6 days:  Rejoin training program and skip the lost days.  Do 1/3 the training on the 1st two days back, 2/3 of the scheduled training on days 3-4 coming back, Resume full load on the 5th day back.

- 7 or more days missed:  Reconsider the training plan and timing of your goal.

The BE Iron Fit book is a great motivator and helps with work/workout/life balance.
2011-02-08 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Thanks Lynn & John for the support and the info!

Congrats Mike on your clydesdale retirement! 
2011-02-08 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Yay Mike! WTG! I'll be so glad when I can shed the Athena label. 

Swim report: The revisions to my stroke are paying-off, finally. Am going faster, although it's still taking me a while to build endurance with the new stroke...i'm getting there. Flip turns are now pretty much second nature and they're a lot easier on my back than the touch turn.

Run report: Slowing down has definitely helped. Ran 4.5 miles and could have went further. Think I'll stick to building that distance base before I try to speed up. Thanks for the pointers, manatees!

Bike report: Spinervals, spinervals, and spin class. Spinervals are intense and make spin class seem like child's play. I scared my IT guy the other day as he was working on the computer in my office, and I was in the living room on my drainer with spinervals dvd playing,....making all sorts of painful noises. He actually asked me if I was ok. Oops.

Edited by kickitinok 2011-02-08 8:54 PM
2011-02-09 9:20 AM

User image

Melon Presser
pga_mike - 2011-02-08 7:55 AM Bragging time. 193#. Clydesdale Mike is dead. Long live MZUNGU Mike.

Well done sir. You've put in a lot of long hard miles.

Didja post this in every Manatee thread?

2011-02-09 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3346109

User image

Melon Presser
kickitinok - 2011-02-09 10:50 AM Yay Mike! WTG! I'll be so glad when I can shed the Athena label. 

Swim report: The revisions to my stroke are paying-off, finally. Am going faster, although it's still taking me a while to build endurance with the new stroke...i'm getting there. Flip turns are now pretty much second nature and they're a lot easier on my back than the touch turn.

That's awesome. Flips can be hard to nail down but good on you for putting the work in and keeping it up.

Run report: Slowing down has definitely helped. Ran 4.5 miles and could have went further. Think I'll stick to building that distance base before I try to speed up. Thanks for the pointers, manatees!

What?! We were RIGHT?! Somebody write that down.

Bike report: Spinervals, spinervals, and spin class. Spinervals are intense and make spin class seem like child's play. I scared my IT guy the other day as he was working on the computer in my office, and I was in the living room on my drainer with spinervals dvd playing,....making all sorts of painful noises. He actually asked me if I was ok. Oops.

Heh ... I am familiar with Sir Troy. Wrote some of the blurbs for the SPINeRVAL jacket covers. I wish they'd let me write the truth, but they didn't like the word "hurl".
2011-02-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3346663

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
TriAya - 2011-02-09 9:20 AM

And on FB.  And I wrote a musical about it.  And I created a video of the musical. <----
2011-02-09 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3346764

User image

Melon Presser
pga_mike - 2011-02-09 11:59 PM
TriAya - 2011-02-09 9:20 AM

And on FB.  And I wrote a musical about it.  And I created a video of the musical. <----

There better not be some guy named Rick singing in it ...

Hahaha, my dad actually did create a book about his book launch ...
2011-02-10 4:11 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Gratz mike!

[incoming rant]
I am at a loss today.
I screwed my knee up last night, doing some stupid (or amazing depending on how you view it) attempt at a catch in nets last night (I did catch it ....). I landed on it somewhat badly and today it is agony to walk / go up/down stairs.
And its my weekend now (thurs/friday off this week). So I want to train, but can barely walk or cycle.
Add into that I strained my groin on monday at football, i'm in a bad shape!

Add into that I've justh ad to take my favourite guitar for repairs and thus can't practise the basslines for next week (they need the 5th string). Meh

[/rant]
 In good news, the band is seriously picking up now, we have a (possibly 2) wedding bookings, a function booking (amusingly playing for 300 neurosurgeons/nurses, we've been coming up with inappropriate songs, such as "Green Day- Brain Stew " etc), plus 2 charity festival gigs over the summer, on top of our regular pub work
2011-02-10 4:11 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Gratz mike!

[incoming rant]
I am at a loss today.
I screwed my knee up last night, doing some stupid (or amazing depending on how you view it) attempt at a catch in nets last night (I did catch it ....). I landed on it somewhat badly and today it is agony to walk / go up/down stairs.
And its my weekend now (thurs/friday off this week). So I want to train, but can barely walk or cycle.

Add into that I've justh ad to take my favourite guitar for repairs and thus can't practise the basslines for next week (they need the 5th string). Meh

[/rant]
 In good news, the band is seriously picking up now, we have a (possibly 2) wedding bookings, a function booking (amusingly playing for 300 neurosurgeons/nurses, we've been coming up with inappropriate songs, such as "Green Day- Brain Stew " etc), plus 2 charity festival gigs over the summer, on top of our regular pub work

2011-02-10 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3348184

User image

Master
Vista, CA

SteveyD - 2011-02-10 2:11 AM Gratz mike!

[incoming rant]
I am at a loss today.

[/rant]

Sorry about your knee, SteveyD. I'm sure you're propping it up with some nice chilly ice wrapped around it holding a pint, right?  Take care and congrats on the new gigs!

2011-02-10 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good morning Mad Manatees -- here's a quote from the tag on my teabag (Yogi tea if anyone's interested)

"When the mind is backed by will, miracles happen." 

I'm a believer.

And, what is not-so-big Mike not going to give up? (the musical link

2011-02-10 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3348671

User image

Expert
Cambridge

I know, that was a cheapshot on the rickroll!

Ice every other hour or so. Unfortunately got too much to do to be sitting down all day.  
2011-02-11 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison

Got to practice today and had to do a 1000 Meter Time Trial Swim which I was not planning or expecting to do.  Did it in 15:20 with the first 500 being at 7:39 and the seond at 7:41 so I swam consistant for the whole thing.  Probably could of had a better time if I had more then a 100 meter warm up but my friend slept in and was late picking me up so I was 20 minutes late to practice and didn't have time to do anything else.

I am really just posting to get us off page 2.  Hope everybody's training is going well and for the people that are injured I hope you heal fast.

Have a great weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38