BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-01-30 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
So guess what.  I am doing something tomorrow that I never would have thought possible only two months ago.  It is...an official hour swim held by our Masters group!  Not sure how my endurance will hold up, but the coach says if you need to stop and take a break you can do that as often as needed.  She's a great coach, and sent us some videos from practice today.  It's always one thing to hear what you're doing wrong, but to actually see it...well, it makes it so much easier to fix!  Any advice from all you swimmers for tomorrow night?

2012-01-30 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4019346

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Don't worry Erin, you won't actually be swimming an hour straight... and if you get too tired just sit out an interval or two... you'll build up fast!  Swim those Masters classes consistently and you'll be cruisin' during that swim leg!
2012-01-30 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Hi all, just wanted to let everyone know that I am going to step down from the MMMers. It seems that some of my stresses, despite my hoping otherwise, will be long-term. Frown I am simply unable to commit the time to being a good "teammate" and stress out over not being able to return the inspires (especially once they pile up).  

Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement, particularly over the past week - it's been a rough one. 

Hilde, thank you most of all for your dedication and constant support. I promise to keep training - it's the only thing keeping me sane!  Maybe by the spring session, things will have calmed down for me and I can take a stab at this again. 

I am glad to see that everyone is doing so well - keep up the good work and good luck! 

Best, 
Michelle 

2012-01-31 4:30 AM
in reply to: #4019589

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Oh Michelle, once an MMMer always an MMMer!  So sorry that life has gotten in the way... we will miss you, but understand.  Sometimes, as much as we love this sport, the demands do add to our stress instead of it just being fun... do what you need to and be happy!!  We're here if you need us....
2012-01-31 7:12 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Michelle --- hope you still stop by the thread!!  We'll be chatting away all things 'tri' and more.

So here is a blog that I enjoy very much.  DC Rainmaker.  The writer is a young fellow and his focus is on fitness technology.  His posts are very informative and interesting.  He obviously has a lot of fun trying out different watches, sensors, gadgets, etc.  

One of my morning rituals right before I start my work day is to looks at the most recent pics from Cute Overload.  It helps set the tone for the day for me.  How can one start work in a bad mood after looking at something like this?.

Have a great day everyone!

2012-01-31 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4020071

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Ha ha, Melanie, LOVED the crazy eyed basset pictures!!!

2012-01-31 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4020071

User image

Extreme Veteran

Melanie- love it! What a way to start the day!

Michelle- we'll miss you. Don't be a stranger, but take care of yourself!

2012-01-31 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4019589

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
arquillo - 2012-01-30 7:37 PM

Hi all, just wanted to let everyone know that I am going to step down from the MMMers. It seems that some of my stresses, despite my hoping otherwise, will be long-term. Frown I am simply unable to commit the time to being a good "teammate" and stress out over not being able to return the inspires (especially once they pile up).  

Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement, particularly over the past week - it's been a rough one. 

Hilde, thank you most of all for your dedication and constant support. I promise to keep training - it's the only thing keeping me sane!  Maybe by the spring session, things will have calmed down for me and I can take a stab at this again. 

I am glad to see that everyone is doing so well - keep up the good work and good luck! 

Best, 
Michelle 

As everyone has said - don't feel like you always have to respond inspires, this thread or anything else.  Just pop in when you can and post when you have a spare moment.  These mentor groups can provide as much or as little as you want - this one just happens to provide more  spem  encouragement than most.  Lord knows that I flit in and out of here all the time and they still tolerate me well over a year later.  Someday, I'll get back into the swing of things...

2012-01-31 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4018745

Extreme Veteran
gnome - 2012-01-30 12:16 PM

ACLS is Advanced Cardiac Life Support.  Most juristictions require it for paramedics.  PALS is Pediatric Advanced Life Support.  Same this as ACLS only kid specific.  Most places want you to have this class or something like it.

Joined a new gym today.  My old gym, while I liked it and it was cheap, had hardly any classes (I've been missing a good spin class), and it was getting hard to get on the equipment (small place with lots of people).  So I went to a similar one in the next town down that a lot of people I know go to (in fact, I saw another firefighter from my station there this morning).  They also have yoga classes.  So tomorrow I'll start throwing some extra stuff in.  

I'm guessing the ACLS and PALS stuff is more than just the normal CPR stuff? Enjoy your new gym. I'm looking forward to doing a few classes at mine when they finally get the actual timetables out so I can see what they have.

Erin - go rock that hour swim. I've never swam that long (in water yes but not all swimming) so no pointers- are the breaks she's talking about only allowed on the wall or are you allowed to get out the pool if needed? Or do you forefeit if you get out?

arquillo - No worries. As already said you don't have to respond to all inspires, or even to this thread. Hope everything gets better soon. Oh and +1 so Shawn.

Me - got my new pedals yesterday and went really well - got home in 19 mins (1.29M)- a pretty decent clip for me but still need to learn how to put my feet in the actual cages. I also had a pretty good job interview today (details in log) and have a gym reassessment (of my plan) and swim tonight.

2012-01-31 9:26 PM

User image

New user
KY

Suzie, glad you got the toe cages.  Once you get used to them I bet you will notice a big difference.  You won't have to put as much effort into it.  And the drink holder will come in handy!

Melanie, great link.  Those pictures were adorable!  I could look at cute animal pictures all day.  I think I spent 5 minutes looking at an embarrassed walrus pic!

Michelle, good luck but like Shawn said, don't feel like you have to respond to all the inspires and stay on top of everything.  Check in once and a while and let us know how it's going if you ever get a few minutes:-)  In the meantime, enjoy your training.

So my big news is that I completed the USMS 1 Hour Postal Swim tonight.  I swam the whole hour non-stop and it ended up being a hair under 3000 yards.  It's still towards the back of the pack for my age group but if you had seen me swimming even 2 or 3 months ago this would have seemed like something unattainable.  There were no foot cramps and my splits were all pretty even- about 1:00 every 50 yards.  I finished feeling like I could go another hour!  Anyway, it was good practice for triathlons because there were a couple other competitors next to me so I still had the spiked heart rate and nerves starting out.  In the past I would have panicked but now I have finally gained a lot more confidence in the water.  We're going back tomorrow to a Masters practice and the big thing I'll be working on is keeping my feet close to each other.  The coach said my hubby and I both have a tendency to let our legs flail, so we'll be putting pull buoys between the ankles tomorrow.

2012-02-01 4:41 AM
in reply to: #4022214

Extreme Veteran

Erni - yeah I noticed the no effort bit - 19 mins for 1.29M with only a very short walk break on the bridge (my hill) near the summit of it was a major improvement to last time I did that route. As for the bottle holder I've been looking at getting one for a while - since I did my first long (1 hour) ride. Great job on the swim too. And good luck with the close feet stuff.

As for me - my swimming is coming along great - I was actually the most accomplished swimmer in the lane today - other 2 women were doing some sort of kicking with breaststroke arms and their head out the water - I think one of them was the one from the locker room who had a go at me for "getting her in the face" a second time (when I hung my towel up in front of her on one of the hooks about the change benches - no actual contact just happened to be in front of her face) but if she is it's partially her fault - the sharing lane thing works on a circle approach (up left, down left as you're looking at the pool at the time) and the one time I tried that she was on the right (coming up) so I went round and read the situation as "ok we're doing a split lane" and swam appropriately - guy got cramp before he'd even completed 25m (saw him at the wall of the deep end while I was approaching it and was resting in the shallow end when he got there - and he stopped aout half way between the flags and the wall - told me it was cramp and that he should have rested (um, yeah you've only done one lap mate - only rest you can do in that time is on a lane rope) oh and the little girl who dissapeared after 2 laps was actually pretty good but I think she was warming up for a lesson or something. 

Anyway I seem to be improving even more - my 100 pace for 250 today was 4:17 and my 100 pace for 200 last week was 4:29. Oh and I actually did a full lap of freestyle, flip turn, continue with backstroke - still need to work out the breath/panic thing as that's what happens when I come up but I will at some point.  

2012-02-01 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4022214

User image

Expert
Missouri
erinrockrun - 2012-01-31 9:26 PM

Suzie, glad you got the toe cages.  Once you get used to them I bet you will notice a big difference.  You won't have to put as much effort into it.  And the drink holder will come in handy!

Melanie, great link.  Those pictures were adorable!  I could look at cute animal pictures all day.  I think I spent 5 minutes looking at an embarrassed walrus pic!

Michelle, good luck but like Shawn said, don't feel like you have to respond to all the inspires and stay on top of everything.  Check in once and a while and let us know how it's going if you ever get a few minutes:-)  In the meantime, enjoy your training.

So my big news is that I completed the USMS 1 Hour Postal Swim tonight.  I swam the whole hour non-stop and it ended up being a hair under 3000 yards.  It's still towards the back of the pack for my age group but if you had seen me swimming even 2 or 3 months ago this would have seemed like something unattainable.  There were no foot cramps and my splits were all pretty even- about 1:00 every 50 yards.  I finished feeling like I could go another hour!  Anyway, it was good practice for triathlons because there were a couple other competitors next to me so I still had the spiked heart rate and nerves starting out.  In the past I would have panicked but now I have finally gained a lot more confidence in the water.  We're going back tomorrow to a Masters practice and the big thing I'll be working on is keeping my feet close to each other.  The coach said my hubby and I both have a tendency to let our legs flail, so we'll be putting pull buoys between the ankles tomorrow.

Nice job on the swim!

2012-02-01 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Anyone else doing the virtual run for Sherry Arnold (the woman from Montana who was abducted during her morning run) to be held on Saturday, Feb 11th?

http://othervoices.runnersworld.com/2012/01/a-virtual-run-in-memory-of-sherry-arnold-2-11-12/

2012-02-01 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4023292

User image

Extreme Veteran
kpringle - 2012-02-01 10:25 AM

Anyone else doing the virtual run for Sherry Arnold (the woman from Montana who was abducted during her morning run) to be held on Saturday, Feb 11th?

http://othervoices.runnersworld.com/2012/01/a-virtual-run-in-memory-of-sherry-arnold-2-11-12/

I am. I haven't decided yet whether it will be an organized race (the skirt chaser) or just my Saturday run, but I'll wear the bib either way.
2012-02-01 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
That's the first I"ve heard of it.... that one hit pretty close to home, her being a teacher and running alone and all... not that I've changed my ways, but I DO think about those things when I'm out there.  That's my son's birthday and the morning after dinner out with TTucker for her birthday, not that I'LL be hung over, ha ha.... SHE might be!
2012-02-01 10:30 PM

Extreme Veteran

I saw someting about Running for Sherry on my other forum but didn't go in to the thread as I didn't know what it was all about but I'll probably be walking that day so I may check it out.

2012-02-02 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran

Arrggghhh, swim missed due to work.  Something came up and prevented me from heading out at lunch to swim and now it's too late as the swim teams have the pool.  I'm aiming for a small run tonight, as cub scouts will take up part of the evening. 

It's one of those weeks where I just have to hang in there and get through before I can refocus.

2012-02-02 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4025723

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Yeah, it happens Andrea.... seems like one day gets screwed up, and then another and before you know it the whole week seems to have been wasted!  Good thing this is a hobby!!  Get back on track when you can!
2012-02-02 5:22 PM

Hi everyone. Sorry I've been MIA for the last week. It's been a tough couple of weeks between being sick, injuring my knee, and still commuting to Brooklyn every day. I'm actually on the train now as I speak. Thanks for checking in.Not sure what's going on with my knee. I ran last Wed and then the back of my knee started killing me. After that I was getting pain that was radiating from my mid-thigh through to my ankle, and it would feel weak every so often while I was walking or sitting. Still not sure what it could be, but it's slowly getting better, so hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things soon. My next 5k is supposed to be on 2/11 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I missed my last 5k this past Sunday because of this issue and I felt like crap about it, so I really want to run soon. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope everyone is well, and I promise I'll be in touch.-Kelly
2012-02-02 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4026351

User image

New user
KY

Kelly, that sounds like a frustrating injury.  Hope it gets better int ime for your 5K!

Andrea, have fun with the cub scouts!

Also, just wanted everyone to know I am no longer a bike crash virgin!  See today's training log for detailsTongue out

2012-02-03 5:57 AM

User image

Veteran
I think we've had a discussion before about missed workouts. I've decided to not try to make up what I've missed but rather to move on with my upcoming workouts.

2012-02-03 6:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hey gang, looks like everyone has been training, working and playing hard since I last checked in!  Some of you have asked whether my lazy behind will be at the starting line for my May marathon.  And I say you bet I'll be there!!  It might not be my fastest but it WILL HAPPEN.  I'll be checking up on everyone's training over the weekend.  Stay fit, but stay safe everyone.
2012-02-03 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4025723

User image

Expert
Missouri
rustymom - 2012-02-02 1:27 PM

Arrggghhh, swim missed due to work.  Something came up and prevented me from heading out at lunch to swim and now it's too late as the swim teams have the pool.  I'm aiming for a small run tonight, as cub scouts will take up part of the evening. 

It's one of those weeks where I just have to hang in there and get through before I can refocus.

I'm having one of those weeks myself.  Nothing seems to be going as plannedFrown.  DH came down with the flu about 2am Wednesday night and between that and work/meetings/etc (along with some laziness on my part I will admit), the workouts aren't going quite the way I'd hoped this week.  But I'm getting something done at least so I count that as a win and look forward to next week being much betterSmile

2012-02-03 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Hope everyone has a great weekend!  Is anyone racing??? 

I've had a pretty laxed training week, been fighting some cold symptoms but feeling so much better today.  I think the worst is behind me.  My run this morning felt good, no coughing or congestion, yay!

I have a long swim planned for tomorrow and a long run scheduled for Sunday.  Hoping to get outside for a run again with my friend since it helped so much last week. 

Happy Superbowl weekend...  Go Pats!!

2012-02-03 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4027915

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Go PATS??  WTF Kristen?!!  Go GIANTS... looks like we have some rivalry amongst the MMMers!   My Dad has beena Giants fan forever and I guess it got passed down to me, ever though I really don't follow football all that much.  I do like to watch a good game.  Besides haven't the Patriots won about a zillion Superbowls already?

YEAH BABY it's FRIDAY!!!!  Gonna go over to my daughter Kati's new house and have ourselves a girlie nite!!  Trash TV and lots of junk food... I've been so good following my diet plan, 9 pounds down, and the scale REALLY wanted to blip down for that 10th pound, but then blipped back up... I think I deserve some crap food!  5 mile run in the morning followed by Mexican breakfast with the hubster.  Hopefully a bike ride later in the day, 11 mile run on Sunday...

Hope everyone has a great weekend and a great Superbowl Sunday no matter who you are rooting for!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61