of 190

2013-01-05 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4563884

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia - OPEN
Asalzwed - 2013-01-05 6:01 PM
brigby1 - 2013-01-05 5:31 PM

3 hrs on the trainer today. Sufferfest vids: The Hunted, Hell Hath No Fury, and The Wretched. Managed to be in the high 80's for all efforts. Could not believe the power at the end of The Wretched, but I guess that's what happens when Jens is involved. Haven't gone for 3 in quite awhile, so glad to see I could hold it.

Then per the TSS discussion, it was 192 for this ride. So I can be sure that I'll feel something tomorrow. Not necessarily horrible, but it's reasonable to be a touch slow or maybe not really have much energy to do more than easy running. It's possible I could do something faster/harder, but would likely drive myself into a fatigue hole. I can also expect that this could affect Monday a little as well, depending on what I end up doing then.

Sooooo I've gotta ask ... And mind you my bike experience is very limited. I ride most days (to work and such) and have biked the STP (about 200 miles) and a few other longer rides but I've never spent a lot of time actually training on the bike. What's with all the negativity around the training? I hear the words suffering and hurting s hell ifs lot and "hell hath no fury?" my goodness! Lol! Does it really have to be like that to improve or is it more something people like to use as motivation like say, boot camps and whatnot?

The naming is all in fun for motivation. Smile It's quite possible to push yourself more on the bike than in running, so you kind of have to in order to keep up as others will do so. By the way, the Hell Hath No Fury vid uses the (in)famous 2 x 20 workout, and the footage used is all from the women's pro tour. And if someone still hasn't put it together, the rest of the expression is "...like a woman scorned". They have all kinds of easy to take jabs in there that really spark the effort level.

2013-01-05 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4563884

User image

Extreme Veteran

Asalzwed - 2013-01-05 6:01 PM Sooooo I've gotta ask ... And mind you my bike experience is very limited. I ride most days (to work and such) and have biked the STP (about 200 miles) and a few other longer rides but I've never spent a lot of time actually training on the bike. What's with all the negativity around the training? I hear the words suffering and hurting s hell ifs lot and "hell hath no fury?" my goodness! Lol! Does it really have to be like that to improve or is it more something people like to use as motivation like say, boot camps and whatnot?

Sufferfest videos love to put the emphasis on the suffering theme. In running terms, they make you do a lot of 10k pace efforts and yes, they hurt. But they are the most efficient way to raise your ability to produce power.

You don't do this much 10k pace efforts in running because you would injur yourself. But in cycling you can and it's a very time efficient way of developing fitness. Time efficiency is important because it's so friggin boring on a trainer you need to get it over with fast.

Edited by marcag 2013-01-05 6:16 PM
2013-01-05 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4543084

User image

Seattle
Damn cyclists this question is actually going to have more to it when I'm not on my phone. I appreciate your replies. It also scares me haha
2013-01-05 6:26 PM
in reply to: #4563914

Master
Northern IL
marcag - 2013-01-05 6:14 PM

You don't do this much 10k pace efforts in running because you would injur yourself. But in cycling you can and it's a very time efficient way of developing fitness. Time efficiency is important because it's so friggin boring on a trainer you need to get it over with fast.

Yes, it's rather hard to actually hurt yourself riding. You just get tired and can't make the intensity level. The last sentence is true (haha!), but it's also because the volume of riding needed to improve at lower intensity goes up quite a bit. We brought up that the stress score is based on time and intensity, but I don't remember if we said that intensity (IF) is squared. TSS = IF^2 x Duration x 100.  (Duration is in hrs)

ETA: cycling doesn't have the pounding to worry about. There isn't really body weight support or the eccentric loading from the foot landing (where the load is applied while the muscle is lengthening).

Edited by brigby1 2013-01-05 6:31 PM
2013-01-05 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4563754

User image

Payson, AZ

heykev - 2013-01-05 2:44 PM Long run day today.  Went out and did 23 with a little more climbing. Things got pretty tough about mile 18 but finished. More of a walk, jog toward the end.  Started out with 32 degrees then the wind picked up. I think that's what got to me.  Short rest when I got home, some work around the house then out for a short spin to loosen up.

Nice job

2013-01-05 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4563937

User image

Extreme Veteran
brigby1 - 2013-01-05 6:26 PM

Yes, it's rather hard to actually hurt yourself riding. You just get tired and can't make the intensity level. The last sentence is true (haha!), but it's also because the volume of riding needed to improve at lower intensity goes up quite a bit. We brought up that the stress score is based on time and intensity, but I don't remember if we said that intensity (IF) is squared. TSS = IF^2 x Duration x 100.  (Duration is in hrs)

ETA: cycling doesn't have the pounding to worry about. There isn't really body weight support or the eccentric loading from the foot landing (where the load is applied while the muscle is lengthening).

I would bet that many people doing 4hrs of bike a week are doing at 70% of FTP.This would give a TSS score of less than 200 for the week and I'm not sure how much improvement they will see. Some intensity is required to make improvements.

Edited by marcag 2013-01-05 6:56 PM

2013-01-06 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4563947

User image

Pro
NJ
marcag - 2013-01-05 7:36 PM
brigby1 - 2013-01-05 6:26 PM

I would bet that many people doing 4hrs of bike a week are doing at 70% of FTP.This would give a TSS score of less than 200 for the week and I'm not sure how much improvement they will see. Some intensity is required to make improvements.

Input re the above:  I'm doing Jorge's program and it's currently about 5hrs/week. Am using the 30 min HR test as outlined. FWIW, my LTHR for the bike (165 as I tested it) was about 15 bpm less than my LTHR for my run (180 bpm determined at an "all out" 5k). There are intervals at 105+% but a great deal of the w/o's are at 70-100%. I am rarely as "spent" doing these sessions than if I were following a Sufferfest video. My first suspicion is that I didn't push hard enough on the 30 min test to set HR. The second is I may be overthinking things and should just ride, ride more. Ride harder. But since it's on the trainer, some of this actually entertains me. Outside, I never even look at my watch. Often forget to start it.  I just ride.

Should I redo the 30 min test (not due for another couple weeks, I think)? Or, what I'm currently considering which is just ride the sessions as outlined but with more intensity and quit looking at the garmin. FWIW< I do more or less ignore the lower end of the HR intensity recommendations. I just don't recover that fast. I've resisted signing up for TR thinking I could do this just on HR, but if I'm going to put the time in on the trainer want to get the most of it.  

2013-01-06 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4564323

User image

Extreme Veteran
kcarroll - 2013-01-06 7:06 AM

Input re the above:  I'm doing Jorge's program and it's currently about 5hrs/week. Am using the 30 min HR test as outlined. FWIW, my LTHR for the bike (165 as I tested it) was about 15 bpm less than my LTHR for my run (180 bpm determined at an "all out" 5k). There are intervals at 105+% but a great deal of the w/o's are at 70-100%. I am rarely as "spent" doing these sessions than if I were following a Sufferfest video. My first suspicion is that I didn't push hard enough on the 30 min test to set HR. The second is I may be overthinking things and should just ride, ride more. Ride harder. But since it's on the trainer, some of this actually entertains me. Outside, I never even look at my watch. Often forget to start it.  I just ride.

Should I redo the 30 min test (not due for another couple weeks, I think)? Or, what I'm currently considering which is just ride the sessions as outlined but with more intensity and quit looking at the garmin. FWIW< I do more or less ignore the lower end of the HR intensity recommendations. I just don't recover that fast. I've resisted signing up for TR thinking I could do this just on HR, but if I'm going to put the time in on the trainer want to get the most of it.  

It's normal to not be as spent on a Jorge workout than a Sufferfest. I could not do 5hrs of sufferfest at full tilt every week

What kind of trainer do you have ?

2013-01-06 7:38 AM

User image

5,000 miles from home
Hi everyone. I was out a few days with the flu. Yikes, in week one of Fink IMLP. I was feeling about 70% today so made up yesterday's trainer ride this am. It was a short workout. Thank God.

Anyway, catching up here. Welcome Chris! And Congrats to Melissa on the 5k, safe travels back to Canada.

I am interested to read other people's replies on Kim's bike training question. I don't have power, and previously used Spinnervals cadence based workouts. About 6 months ago, I switched to virtual power on the trainer with much better results. However I do still have a lot of difficulty judging intensity and it often falls apart on hilly road courses.
2013-01-06 7:44 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
kcarroll - 2013-01-06 6:06 AM 

I found Jorge's program really hard to do by HR.  I had to use RPE.  HR just lags too much, especially for those shorter sessions.  Was the LTHR test you did the one in Jorge's program and was it the first one you have done?  If so odds are you probably do need another test but I would just switch to RPE for now and do the test when it falls into the schedule.  OR, you could do the virtual power test with TrainerRoad now that you got your sensor on and switch to power.  If you do it from TrainerRoad it will also do your LTHR as well.

2013-01-06 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4564331

User image

Pro
NJ
marcag - 2013-01-06 8:23 AM

It's normal to not be as spent on a Jorge workout than a Sufferfest. I could not do 5hrs of sufferfest at full tilt every week

What kind of trainer do you have ?

CycleOps Fluid2

2013-01-06 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4564348

User image

Pro
NJ
bzgl40 - 2013-01-06 8:44 AM
kcarroll - 2013-01-06 6:06 AM 

I found Jorge's program really hard to do by HR.  I had to use RPE.  HR just lags too much, especially for those shorter sessions.  Was the LTHR test you did the one in Jorge's program and was it the first one you have done?  If so odds are you probably do need another test but I would just switch to RPE for now and do the test when it falls into the schedule.  OR, you could do the virtual power test with TrainerRoad now that you got your sensor on and switch to power.  If you do it from TrainerRoad it will also do your LTHR as well.

I am essentially ignoring HR on the recovery sets. The LTHR was the one in Jorge's and my first so I do think I may not have really pushed hard enough. Will take another look at TR tonight. Will also re-read the RPE doc you sent me. Thanks.

2013-01-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4564374

User image

Extreme Veteran
kcarroll - 2013-01-06 8:26 AM

CycleOps Fluid2

Do you keep your Garmin files ?

If you want, and this would be little effort, send me the Garmin file of your 30' test and I'll send you your power levels to do the power version of Jorge. it would be 105% = x mph, 100% = y mph, 95% = z mph..... (you cannot just do it as a % of mph).

You would then just need to keep a little chart next to the trainer.

This will take me 5' so I don't mind doing it for any group member on a Kinetic or Fluid 2.

Edited by marcag 2013-01-06 8:42 AM
2013-01-06 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4564381

User image

Pro
NJ
marcag - 2013-01-06 9:39 AM

CycleOps Fluid2

If you want, and this would be little effort, send me the Garmin file of your 30' test and I'll send you your power levels to do the power version of Jorge. it would be 105% = x mph, 100% = y mph, 95% = z mph..... (you cannot just do it as a % of mph).

This will take me 5' so I don't mind doing it for any group member on a Kinetic or Fluid 2.

Thanks! I will need to redo the test before sending. I've started uploading to Garmin Connect but didn't have the sensor on the bike when I did it, so nothing more than HR info on that session.  

2013-01-06 10:13 AM

Master
Northern IL

Jorge's is a program that balances out the workload and recovery within the workout and across a number of workouts. Sufferfest is just a bunch of workouts. It's up to the user to figure out how to put things together across several workouts. I can't remember doing more than 2 a week hard. Yesterday had 3, but I only pushed into moderately hard at most. It makes quite a difference in how much you can do.

Edited by brigby1 2013-01-06 10:13 AM
2013-01-06 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4563879

Master
Northern IL
marcag - 2013-01-05 5:54 PM
brigby1 - 2013-01-05 5:31 PM

3 hrs on the trainer today. Sufferfest vids: The Hunted, Hell Hath No Fury, and The Wretched. Managed to be in the high 80's for all efforts. Could not believe the power at the end of The Wretched, but I guess that's what happens when Jens is involved. Haven't gone for 3 in quite awhile, so glad to see I could hold it.

Then per the TSS discussion, it was 192 for this ride. So I can be sure that I'll feel something tomorrow. Not necessarily horrible, but it's reasonable to be a touch slow or maybe not really have much energy to do more than easy running. It's possible I could do something faster/harder, but would likely drive myself into a fatigue hole. I can also expect that this could affect Monday a little as well, depending on what I end up doing then.

awesome job

180-200 is roughly my 'budget' for the bike portion of a HIM

And thanks! Does the typical budget go up to 200? I've been looking into back-calculating power for the events some and it seems the focus is more on IM with this.

2013-01-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4564381

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
marcag - 2013-01-06 9:39 AM

CycleOps Fluid2

That would be a great way to do it if you choose not to use TR.

Agree with Kim that doing the program by HR is a little tricky and you need to be more in tune with RPE.  When I did the HR program a few years ago it essentially was just an RPE program because HR lags so much.  Even on the longer interval sessions I found myself using RPE coupled with gear and cadence as my guide (which I was really in tune with)...rarely my HR.

As a point of example..when using power..some days I will hit my power targets at a HR 5-10 beats lower than a previous day...but RPE felt the same.

2013-01-06 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4564479

User image

Extreme Veteran
brigby1 - 2013-01-06 10:16 AM

And thanks! Does the typical budget go up to 200? I've been looking into back-calculating power for the events some and it seems the focus is more on IM with this.

Muskoka I did 194 and ran well. I think it depends on the course as well. TSS is based off NP so a hilly course will generate more TSS for me because I'm heavy. As well it's easier to get to 200 on a 3hr course than 2.5hr

Doing 180TSS on a 2.5hr course is 85% of FTP.  200TSS on that same course is getting close to 90% which is too much for me anyways.

2013-01-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4564415

User image

Extreme Veteran
kcarroll - 2013-01-06 9:14 AM

Thanks! I will need to redo the test before sending. I've started uploading to Garmin Connect but didn't have the sensor on the bike when I did it, so nothing more than HR info on that session.  

Little trick. Set up your trainer, but pump your tires to a given pressure, say 90 or 100PSI. And from this point NEVER adjust your tension. If you need to remove or put the bike back on, deflate the tire and reinflate.

Then on every ride, top the pressure up to the 90 PSI. This will keep the tension very consistent and the power measurement very consistent. 

The consistency of the Speed/Power on these units depends on the pressure of the roller. This trick will keep it very consistent

2013-01-06 1:06 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Sometimes it is fun to get lost on your run, but sometimes not.  Opps.  No harm no foul
2013-01-06 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4563874

User image

Danielson Ct
Asalzwed - 2013-01-05 6:50 PM Got my first 20-miler of my plan in today. Really happy with how this training cycle is going and really happy that I'll be going over 20 about 5 more times before the marathon.
What marathon are you training for? I'm trying to get ready for the 26.2 Run wth Donna on Feb 17 in Jacksonville.

2013-01-06 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4563874

User image

Payson, AZ

Asalzwed - 2013-01-05 4:50 PM Got my first 20-miler of my plan in today. Really happy with how this training cycle is going and really happy that I'll be going over 20 about 5 more times before the marathon.

oh good, you'll get some of the 20's I'm skipping

2013-01-06 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Just had a crazy good bike/run session.  The bike main set was 2x20' and 1x10' (5') and was able to hold 97%FTP for all three intervals.  The legs felt really good today.  The TR files are linked in my log if you are interested. 

Bricked a 30' steady run to save some time and felt really good.  I think I may drag a little at the hockey game tonight ha!

2013-01-06 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Long-winded question for you cycling gurus:

So I've been working through Jorge's program on TrainerRoad (it's the seven week version....seems somewhat different than the one he has posted on BT).  I did the 8 minute FTP test for my first ride and based my following rides on that.  I re-tested today and made very little improvement (3W).  I'm feeling pretty disappointed that I didn't see any real results from this, but I guess I don't know if a) I'm just being hard on myself, b) if maybe the TR program isn't as good at the BT one, or c) if seven weeks is just not enough to see significant improvements.

I'm not sure how accurate TR's virtual power is to what my actual power would be (also, I'm somewhat convinced that the power I see on the trainer is less than what I'd see on the street as a 15mph average on the trainer feels like it's kicking my , but 20mph average on the street feels okay....).

Anyways, enough rambling from me -- just curious what others' thoughts are.  Thanks!

Nicole

2013-01-06 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4564747

User image

Extreme Veteran
rymac - 2013-01-06 2:24 PM

Just had a crazy good bike/run session.  The bike main set was 2x20' and 1x10' (5') and was able to hold 97%FTP for all three intervals.  The legs felt really good today.  The TR files are linked in my log if you are interested. 

Bricked a 30' steady run to save some time and felt really good.  I think I may drag a little at the hockey game tonight ha!

I think someone needs to raise his FTP :-)

Great job.

Do you use TR with Virtual Power or a PT ?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 190