BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-10 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4571299

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Qua17 - 2013-01-09 7:37 PM

Not to get to personal... but I'm getting a colonoscopy on Friday.  With a family history - my doc is just being safe.

Wondering which part of it will suck more: a) spending tonight in the bathroom (talk about a trip to SufferlandiaLaughing), b) clear liquid diet for the next 36 hours, c) no working out, d) no beer...Cry

Seriously - I'm a little nervous about the cleanse part - if you've been there and have any suggestions (I'm taking go lightly - let the jokes begin) - please PM me.

PS - Last night enjoyed Three Cranes by Mystic Brewery - a saison brewed with cranberries... No too shabby!

No jokes David...been there.

It wasn't that bad, and actually the cool part was the guided tour through my colon that I got to watch on a 46 inch TV. For real.... I'll PM you too though, but you'll be fine.

2013-01-10 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-10 3:37 AM

Not to get to personal... but I'm getting a colonoscopy on Friday.  With a family history - my doc is just being safe.

Wondering which part of it will suck more: a) spending tonight in the bathroom (talk about a trip to SufferlandiaLaughing), b) clear liquid diet for the next 36 hours, c) no working out, d) no beer...Cry

Seriously - I'm a little nervous about the cleanse part - if you've been there and have any suggestions (I'm taking go lightly - let the jokes begin) - please PM me.

PS - Last night enjoyed Three Cranes by Mystic Brewery - a saison brewed with cranberries... No too shabby!

Please just have a large beer waiting for you at the end of the 36 hours. You deserve it after that!

Oh, and this doesn't give you a pass on the 30/31 challenge...Smile

Edited by thor67 2013-01-10 8:21 AM
2013-01-10 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4571350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Yakhead - 2013-01-10 5:35 AM

Well I got up at 5 am ( a feat in itself) went to the pool and swam 400 yds (only a 100 free) boy I am out of shape. Then came home and did a 4 mph pace on the treadmill for 10 minutes. The plan has me working on getting my endurance up. Which I thought at first this will be easy. I am amazed how tired I am. I will try to do the 20 in 21.  

Ian

1) the morning is your friend, especially if you have family so get used to it!Smile

2) Oh yeah, the pool is a killer. I used to swim competitively and it still kills me anytime I take any length of time off. People don't realize all the muscles they use swimming. 

3) Baby steps, push yourself but don't overdo it. You will be surprised how quickly you regain(or discover) your fitness!

Good to have you on the board again!

2013-01-10 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4571064

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
kevinbe - 2013-01-09 8:13 PM

Good stuff all.  Burd, hand in there, it's coming

DH, are you training for a particular marathon?

Screwed my ankle all to HE77 this morning.  was running on the side of the road, and hit this ginourmous boulder, (a pebble really) and I rolled over my left ankle.  This happens about every 3-4 weeks with me as I'm often running in the dark, and sometimes do not pat close enough attention to detail as I get distracted by the oncoming trafic.  Cut my 4.6 miler to a 2 miler.  I only ran 1 mile up to that point, and limped it home the rest of the way.  I'm still counting it towards my 30 .  I'm 9/30.

Hockey game tonight at 10:30.  Hope I can get away with sleeping all day at work tomorrow!  Wink

Still hitting my beer intake goal for the month (year?) as I'm limiting to 1 growler/mo, and 2 22oz's on weekends.  Having a growler of IPA this week.  FABULOUS.

Hope the ankle is better....by the way, does your beer limits include post hockey Coors beers?Wink

What does your team usually have in the cooler after the games?

2013-01-10 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4571018

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

firefighter - 2013-01-09 7:41 PM Sure am. My aero bars aren't very comfortable when they're supporting my face due to a visit to sufferlandia

Looks like I am going to have to pull the trigger on buying sufferlandia.

Which one(s) do you have?

2013-01-10 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4570186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
SportzVision - 2013-01-09 11:51 AM
Wiff - 2013-01-08 10:20 PM

thor67 - 2013-01-08 7:26 PM well went for a lame, slow, lazy swim while my daughter was in the swimming...I guess something is better than nothing...

Heck ya, good stuff.  

Has your wife picked a Tri yet?  Personally, I'd pick Napa but it would be great if she did the one in Olds!

Speaking of Napa, have you had anyone approach you about  wanting to see your training logs as you train for Napa?   Had a random ask to be a friend, (said he saw a pic I recently posted). He wanted to see my training since he is doing Napa OLY too.  I ignored the request....strange, I technically don't know my friends on the site but there are some friends on the site that I have not known for two years..ha ha! 

Oh I have a new pic up on my profile that my grandson took of me over Thanksgiving.

I found the pic but it looks like a younger gal....Smile

2013-01-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4571414

User image

Champion
Calgary
justinfss - 2013-01-10 6:34 AM

Qua17 - 2013-01-09 7:37 PM

No jokes David...been there.

It wasn't that bad, and actually the cool part was the guided tour through my colon that I got to watch on a 46 inch TV. For real.... I'll PM you too though, but you'll be fine.

gee, I am feeling a bit jealous now.
2013-01-10 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4571516

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2013-01-10 6:29 AM

Hope the ankle is better....by the way, does your beer limits include post hockey Coors beers?Wink

Post hockey nights are free.  Many bring Kokanee, but a few are home brewers of hoppy beers and bring a hoppy brew of their own, or something off the shelf, sorry DQ, no fruity bevi's.

DQ, I knew you'd ask What IPA.  It was some obscure brew I'd never heard of out of some obscure town on the other side of the state.  There are so many small breweries here anymore, it's getting hard keeping up.  not a bad problem to have I guess.

2013-01-10 9:57 AM

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-10 3:37 AM

I'll PM you too.  It really is something that seems a lot worse when you think about it than it is in reality.

2013-01-10 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

So, this has been the first week where I have really tried to get my workouts in even if my husband isn't home.  When I was training for the Sprint last summer, if he wasn't home in time for me to get out (which meant before 9pm) then I'd just skip the workout that day.  Unfortunately, that resulted in a lot of skipped workouts.  Now we have a treadmill and bike trainer so - no excuses.  It's mentally hard this week to get everyone to bed and then get down to the basement and do some level of workout.  

Thanks to a little encouragement to get off my butt (thanks Thor) I gave running a shot yesterday, not too fast and not too far and my legs were okay!  I put some ice on them afterwards, just in case, but I'm pretty happy with how it went.

I'm going to bike tonight.  It's my youngest's first birthday so I'll want to burn off at least a cupcake.  

2013-01-10 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Yakhead - 2013-01-10 6:35 AM

Well I got up at 5 am ( a feat in itself) went to the pool and swam 400 yds (only a 100 free) boy I am out of shape. Then came home and did a 4 mph pace on the treadmill for 10 minutes. The plan has me working on getting my endurance up. Which I thought at first this will be easy. I am amazed how tired I am. I will try to do the 20 in 21. 

Ian

good for you for getting up and doing it! I started out October 2011 and I could not run half a block without being exhausted. 80 lbs lighter I did my first 13.1 race in December 2012. Keep moving forwards!

2013-01-10 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4571064

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
kevinbe - 2013-01-09 9:13 PM

Good stuff all.  Burd, hand in there, it's coming

DH, are you training for a particular marathon?

Screwed my ankle all to HE77 this morning.  was running on the side of the road, and hit this ginourmous boulder, (a pebble really) and I rolled over my left ankle.  This happens about every 3-4 weeks with me as I'm often running in the dark, and sometimes do not pat close enough attention to detail as I get distracted by the oncoming trafic.  Cut my 4.6 miler to a 2 miler.  I only ran 1 mile up to that point, and limped it home the rest of the way.  I'm still counting it towards my 30 .  I'm 9/30.

Hockey game tonight at 10:30.  Hope I can get away with sleeping all day at work tomorrow!  Wink

Still hitting my beer intake goal for the month (year?) as I'm limiting to 1 growler/mo, and 2 22oz's on weekends.  Having a growler of IPA this week.  FABULOUS.

The perils of being a Bad A$$ running in the dark against traffic to get it done!  Hope you heal quickly!

2013-01-10 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Qua17 - 2013-01-10 4:37 AM

It all sounds like it will suck...but on a brighter note this sounds precautionary and that you are healthy and whole! Only suggestions I have are from my labor and that is to practice relaxing and breathing.  When your shoulders are up to your ears...BREATH!  I will be thinking of you on Friday!

2013-01-10 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Ian

Nice job Ian...you are doing great!

2013-01-10 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

I was suppose to get on the trainer last night...after dinner and bathing my grandson and between getting him ready for bed I was setting up the bike on the trainer.  Found out that I am missing my skewer!  By the time I realized this it was after 8 and too late to head to the gym and ride the stationary bike soooooo  it was a no go for training.  Skewers are ordered!

Confession -  I have not logged my food intake.  Two potluck lunches in a row this week!

2013-01-10 11:48 AM

New user

Matt – I'm not in Philly. There is a Morimoto in Napa. It is fairly new, but it seems to be doing well. I had a good time. A friend won a $500.00 gift certificate and she took us out for drinks. It was nice. Hope you are enjoying SF.

Justin: what helped me with bilateral breathing was thinking about touching my hand to my hip when I needed to roll my body since it was kinda awkward on my non-dominant side. Just do it as part of the normal arm rotation – add the hip touch. Maybe it just gives you the extra fraction of a second to suck more air or just becomes something to focus on – either way, it really helped me.

Kim: I am on myfitnesspal. I go by snarky. Feel free to add me. Others too!!!

Thor: about the 30/31 do we count one 40 min work out as 2?

Kevin: so sorry to hear about your injury

DQ - good luck with the colonoscopy. I hear the preparation for those are a little rough – my sympathies.

Great job Ian! Keep your eyes on the end goal and ease into it. No need to overdo it and injure yourself.

Cynthia: I hate when that happens... but glad to hear that the parts are on their way.

Updates: missed my swim workouts – the pool is really only available 2 hours a day – lunchtime and right after work, if ANYTHING comes up it makes it really easy to miss the window. Instead I have been getting on the bike. Set up the trainer again so that I can get used to my clipless pedals I figured if I was going to do this thing I should learn to do it right. Quads are a little sore, so I think I am moving in the right direction. Met a couple of people at the meetup everyone has different levels of fitness, definitely should learn a thing or two from the organizer of the group. Should be fun. Lost 1.8 pounds last week

2013-01-10 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4571505

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
thor67 - 2013-01-09 11:26 PM
Yakhead - 2013-01-10 5:35 AM

Ian

1) the morning is your friend, especially if you have family so get used to it!Smile

2) Oh yeah, the pool is a killer. I used to swim competitively and it still kills me anytime I take any length of time off. People don't realize all the muscles they use swimming. 

3) Baby steps, push yourself but don't overdo it. You will be surprised how quickly you regain(or discover) your fitness!

Good to have you on the board again!

Great rules...I am going to have to retrain myself into getting up earlier for sure! I think that is going to be the key. I can't wait til I can take my daughter out in the jogging stroller and let mom sleep in for a few hours. Can you say MAJOR POINTS!

2013-01-10 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4571650

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
kevinbe - 2013-01-10 12:12 AM
thor67 - 2013-01-10 6:29 AM

Post hockey nights are free.  Many bring Kokanee, but a few are home brewers of hoppy beers and bring a hoppy brew of their own, or something off the shelf, sorry DQ, no fruity bevi's.

DQ, I knew you'd ask What IPA.  It was some obscure brew I'd never heard of out of some obscure town on the other side of the state.  There are so many small breweries here anymore, it's getting hard keeping up.  not a bad problem to have I guess.

Haha, that is not a problem at all! I am jealous as the closest microbrew pub is a three hour drive....

2013-01-10 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4571770

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Wiff - 2013-01-10 1:02 AM

So, this has been the first week where I have really tried to get my workouts in even if my husband isn't home.  When I was training for the Sprint last summer, if he wasn't home in time for me to get out (which meant before 9pm) then I'd just skip the workout that day.  Unfortunately, that resulted in a lot of skipped workouts.  Now we have a treadmill and bike trainer so - no excuses.  It's mentally hard this week to get everyone to bed and then get down to the basement and do some level of workout.  

Thanks to a little encouragement to get off my butt (thanks Thor) I gave running a shot yesterday, not too fast and not too far and my legs were okay!  I put some ice on them afterwards, just in case, but I'm pretty happy with how it went.

I'm going to bike tonight.  It's my youngest's first birthday so I'll want to burn off at least a cupcake.  

Great Job KIM! Enjoy that Cupcake!

2013-01-10 1:54 PM

User image

Expert

Ian

Ian:  Outstanding!  Getting up early in the morning blows but it means that nothing can get in the way of your workout.  You are just starting out so your only goals should be to follow your program, avoid injury, and be proud of what you are able to accomplish.  If you feel sore, break out the ice pack.  Do whatever it takes to make it happen!

There will come a day when you look back on this morning and chuckle and then head out for a 10 mile run.  Love your picture!

2013-01-10 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4571770

User image

Expert
Wiff - 2013-01-10 10:02 AM

Kim - Glad to hear you are back on track (I got a similar email from Thor - he's good at thatLaughing) and that your legs are feeling fresher.  Using ice is a great idea and will help you avoid future injury as you build up to your half marathon distance.  You've got plenty of time before the race, so all you have to do is enjoy the birthday celebrations and that cupcake.  Happy birthday BTW!

2013-01-10 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4566829

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Weekly Goals

OK - It's Thursday and we are more than halfway done with the week.  How are you all doing with your goals?  I've been checking in and a lot of you are on track to achieve them.  So you've got four days left.  What are you going to do to make it happen?  Which beer will you enjoy once you achieve all your goals?  (Not sure - but I plan on picking up a tasty saison to enjoy while watching the playoffs).

I've accomplished most of my goals so far.  The only thing that I still have to do is to get in that yoga session on Saturday and lose that pound (which should be a piece of cake considering the tour of my colon I have planned for FridayTongue out.  And yes Thor, I'll figure out a way of getting a workout in before the fun starts tonight.

Finally - and perhaps most importantly, You guys are doing an awesome job of supporting one another.  Not that I'm competitive - but we are 5th out of the 35 mentor  for the number of posts.  So, keep it up.

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  increase running mileage to 28-30mpw
  • lose 2 lbs currently at 191.4
  • Only earned 1 22 0z. beer next weekend.  I need to make it a good one
  • swim/bike 2 sessions (1200 min swim, 45 min minimum bike)
 thor67 Thor
  •  bike 3 times
  • run 3 times
  • keep losing weight
  • bonus weekend workout. whatever I feel up to!
 SportzVision Cynthia 
  •  Track nutrition - this is a big one; my smart phone is only about a B- and I like the phone apps
  • Follow my plan (that means planning my week, my days, and my time; I like to fly by the seat of my pants)
  • Train, work, live with a pleasant face (Not hard but sometimes I forget)
 Wiff Kim
  • Get in all scheduled workouts, if I can't run - do something else
  • Do a yoga DVD
  • Keep up the water and down the Diet Coke
 jlangeneJared 
  •  Tuesday - 30 min jog
  • Wednesday - Gym Brick
  • Thursday - 60 min jog
  • Friday - Bike 10 miles
  • Saturday - 1:15 jog
  • Sunday - Bike 15 miles
  • keep trying to improve cadence and keep on track with diet plan
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  • Get back on track with nutrition.  
  • Get a 9 mile run in.
  • Get back on track with nutrition.  (There's a theme here).
Burd Alex 
  • Run 3x, 1 long 2 normal
  • 3x sessions with Nike+ Kinect
  • CONQUER THE FACE IN WATER!
Yakhead  Ian Start 5 k training, and spin on spin bike on opposite days.
 bobddsmd  Bobby Taper week. Decrease food. drop 1lb. veg/fruit juice daily. decrease use of zoomers in water
 Cassady Doug Bike, run, swim 2 hours each. Weigh no more than 292 by 1/13.
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin
  •  Get into the pool twice this week
  • Get in two Spin sessions
  • Lose at least 2 lbs (235.6 today)
  • keep up paleo one month kickstart
  • 3 Runs
  firefighter Taj
  •  Get 5k under 20
  • Get 10k pace to 7:55
  • Actually get in a pool
  • More seat time on the trainer
 snarky Elizabeth
  • Swim - 3X
  • Cycle - 3X
  • keep tracking calories - drink water!!
  • hip stretches 
  • take the hip out for a test drive
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Complete 2 yoga sessions and try a session at the Y on Tuesday
  • Lose 1 LB and record calories daily
  • Stretch for 2 hours and ice 3x
  • Work hard in my workouts while avoiding injury
  • Support my fellow Bter's 

2013-01-10 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

News flash......

I can swim!! HAHA but seriously I went today for nearly 2 hrs in the pool.  No panic at all.  Spend 30 min practicing sticking my face in while blowing bubbles.  Next I moved on to holding side and dipping face flat while looking at the bottom then rotate for a breath.  Ended up going under and pushing off the side to coast about 15 yards then come up for air.  It all ended with me swimming 25m properly with face in water and rotate for breath, not perfect but I'll take it.  I did that 6x with resting between each 25m.  Now I am going to get a pull buoy so I can work on my stroke to geet it right.  The good thing is since I am starting over I can incorporate bilateral breathing. Laughing

YAY!!!!!

2013-01-10 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
By the way..a huge thank you to this group of outstanding people! I honestly felt the drive to get past that phobia with all the help from you folks.

THANKS!!!!
2013-01-10 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4572834

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Burd - 2013-01-10 4:35 PM By the way..a huge thank you to this group of outstanding people! I honestly felt the drive to get past that phobia with all the help from you folks.

THANKS!!!!

WOOT WOOT !!!! Great job!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97