BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-21 2:57 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed

2013-05-21 3:12 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA

That is an awesome report man. Truly inspirational.
2013-05-21 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Great report Scott!
2013-05-21 6:34 PM

User image

Expert

Great report.When you talked about the different ways people ride it got me thinking I'm definitely an attack the downhills and stay steady on the flats and hills.
2013-05-21 7:26 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by everlong

Great report.When you talked about the different ways people ride it got me thinking I'm definitely an attack the downhills and stay steady on the flats and hills.

That is how I choose to ride for the most part. Spin up the up hills, attack the down hill and use the momentum to make the up coming road easier.
2013-05-21 9:38 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA
This one just made the bucket list for races I want to do.

http://www.americantriple-t.com/

2013-05-22 3:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Very nice, Scott. Again, congratulations!!!!!

Why do you think you had stomach problems on the run? Is that from the heat? What kind of bike course is IMTX? Anything in particular that helped you get through those moments of pain when you were riding? Advice for the cycling leg of an IM?
2013-05-22 3:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Originally posted by enders_shadow

Originally posted by jarvy01

I'm curious as to why the coach has you focusing so much on glide. Has he said anything else about your body positioning in the water? Hips? Head? Are you looking at the bottom of the pool or the wall in front of you? Are your arms crossing over your midline?

Basically he said that my position is good and my rotation is good. My arms generally don't cross unless I'm reaching too far. He believes the slowness of my swim comes from working too hard, causing me to be churning water vs. gliding through it. Plus with a distance to swim, he says it's all about efficiency. (He was 3rd out of the water in his AG at IMFL, so I trust what he's saying about that...)

I started lessons at 30+ strokes per 25m, so I was just flailing in the water. I think that's why he's focused on glide. And - when I do actually get in the low 20s - I manage to swim a little faster.

Has he looked at you under water. If you don't have a body position issue and still are propelling through the water well, I'm almost willing to bet that you are dropping your elbow hard and essentially "leading" your stroke with your elbow so that your actual pull distance is very, very small.

This is a really good pciture of what "early vertical forearm" looks like.

I agree that you should get some underwater film of your swim if you haven't already. Your coach most likely does this. The picture Kelly posted is good (dropping elbow is a common problem). I do think working on stroke count is worthwhile, but I wouldn't spend my entire coached time (and $) focusing on that one thing.

I had this tiny issue that was discovered on swim film. My lead arm was floating toward the surface when I took a breath, and it was creating resistance....like putting on the brakes in the water. I worked for 3 months trying to correct this (mostly using forearm fulcrums for drills and warmup). Once I retrained my body, I took off 10-15 sec / 100 yards. I will see if I can post the video and you will spot the arm floating up. You wouldn't have been able to see it from the surface view of my swim.
2013-05-22 4:41 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by uhcoog

That is how I choose to ride for the most part. Spin up the up hills, attack the down hill and use the momentum to make the up coming road easier.

The theory with hills (both up and down hill) is that effort on hills should be exactly the same as effort on flats, the only thing that changes is the speed.
2013-05-22 4:42 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by mleech77

This one just made the bucket list for races I want to do.

http://www.americantriple-t.com/

That is an excellent race.
2013-05-22 6:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I ate 6 chicken breasts in 3 days. They were just snacks. Hungry. So hungry all the time.

2013-05-22 8:02 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Haymarket, VA
Larkin convinced me to give our local Masters class a call. Talked with one of the coaches last night and I head over there tomorrow morning for an eval and further talks with the coach. Decided to give swimming sans snorkel a try at my workout this morning, ugh what a difference. I made it 50m before I needed a break. Granted this was after my 900m easy workout, but still. Something tells me this is gonna be rough.
2013-05-22 8:09 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by jarvy01 I ate 6 chicken breasts in 3 days. They were just snacks. Hungry. So hungry all the time.

At least they weren't cheeseburgers...

2013-05-22 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4723981

User image

Extreme Veteran
Give me a couple more hours of training volume per week and my snacks will become cheeseburgers
2013-05-22 8:27 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Regular

Had a good Masters workout this AM.  2200 meters trying to keep up with the fast(er than I am) folks.  After they left and I had the lane to myself, I got the coach to teach me, finally, after all these years, to do a flip turn!  This makes me feel good because it makes me feel a little more like a real swimmer, and also I think one of the things that has been difficult for me in the OWS is the need to catch my breath after every 20-25 strokes.  If I can do flip turns after every pool length during training instead of grabbing the wall to turn, I can train myself to do without that extra breath, and it'll help my OWS.  That's my theory, at least.

I also found out this AM that one of the guys in my Masters swim lane got 2nd in his age group (60-64) at the same event I did this weekend with a 2:38.  Wow.  Long way to there from my 2:51.  Gives me a rabbit to chase...

2013-05-22 8:29 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by jarvy01 Give me a couple more hours of training volume per week and my snacks will become cheeseburgers

Yeah, but you will have earned them!  Smile

2013-05-22 8:52 AM

User image

Regular

Thanks for posting this, Scott.  Congrats.  I know you worked your butt off to train for this event, but reading your report makes it sound not so impossible.  Can't speak for others, but that kind of inspiration is really helpful to me. 

2013-05-22 8:54 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by jarvy01

Very nice, Scott. Again, congratulations!!!!!

Why do you think you had stomach problems on the run? Is that from the heat? What kind of bike course is IMTX? Anything in particular that helped you get through those moments of pain when you were riding? Advice for the cycling leg of an IM?

I'm 99% sure my stomach issues were heat related. I'm glad I could eat anything on the run. I talked to people who hadn't eaten since mile 60 of the bike. I keep saying that I won't go back and do that race again because of the heat, but I'm probably lying. LOL

The bike course is pretty flat with a lot of rollers. Nothing so steep that you ever even think about getting out of your saddle. I did once or twice just to change position and reposition my chamois, but it wasn't necessary.

Most of my pain was my feet (you could feel the heat radiating off the road) and my nether regions (chaffing). Just find a spot to go to mentally, or a thought. I had songs running through my head, I was scoping out other people's rigs, and I kept thinking "If I get off this bike and quit Cindy will kill me."

Advice? Ride your race. Those knuckleheads barreling past you in the first 10 miles are either elite or you'll see them at mile 80. Have a nutrition plan, execute it, but don't be so tied to it that you can't improvise. There are calorie numbers you NEED to hit, don't be afraid to go over. There are fluid/hydration numbers you NEED to hit, don't be afraid to go over. This of course is within reason because you don't want to shut your gut down, but on a day like Saturday you wouldn't in regards to liquids anyway. Oh and DON'T drink water. It will dilute your salt levels in your bloodstream. Very dangerous. A guy went into seizure about 50 yards from the finish Saturday night because of low blood sodium levels.

I'm sure I have more thoughts. Saturday is like a big blur that I keep finding little events that come through clearly from time to time and they make me smile.

Oh and I have a couple friends playing the what if game in regards to mistakes they made on race day. DO NOT DO THIS!!! When you finish an Ironman you have put yourself through an endurance test that in the grand scheme of things not that many people are stupid enough to put themselves through and you came out the other side. Yes we make mistakes on race day. I should have pulled my front left pad off on mile 5 instead of mile 50. What if I didn't spend at least 30 minutes on the run in the port a potties? What if I didn't run out of salt tabs? Just don't make the mistake in the next race and you already have a 30-45 minute PR to work with. Almost had to drive to my friend's house last night to shake her.
2013-05-22 8:57 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
1:20 on the bike with over/unders. Legs were burning on those. I have a Z2/Z1 run this evening. Then I need to do some core and stretching work. Now that my sinus have cleared I can't wait to get in the pool tomorrow.
2013-05-22 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kaburns1214

The theory with hills (both up and down hill) is that effort on hills should be exactly the same as effort on flats, the only thing that changes is the speed.

I feel, perhaps incorrectly, that the heavier you are the better off you are generating your speed on the downhills for just the reason IM-Scott states. It's easier for me to generate speed on the downhill and then carry it through to the flats. If a hill goes into a true flat I can maintain the speed for a long time with no HR consequences vs if I try to build the speed otherwise my HR will go up.
2013-05-22 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Scott I know you have said that you will probably stay with HIMs for a bit. Is that partially due to the new baby? The wife and I were discussing an IM over the last few days (due to your awesome inspiration ). Her concern is obviously the work load with a new baby. We are blessed that the 2yr old sleeps very good and always has. I can only hope the new baby does as well. So at this moment it is looking like 2015 for an IM. Not a bad thing, I don't think as it will continue to allow me to build a solid base like you have called out in your report.

2013-05-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Expert
2300 in the pool and core work today. I definitely feel like the week off in Florida affected me more than I thought it would. More beat up this week than I've felt all season long. I feel like it moved my fitness back as well.I had felt I was on track on the right day to push for my goal of sub-5:10 and now I'm thinking sub-5:25 might be more realistic. It could just be one of the ups and downs of training but I certainly feel I tried for the best of both worlds and it didn't work out as well as I would have like it.
2013-05-22 9:06 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kidtri33

Scott I know you have said that you will probably stay with HIMs for a bit. Is that partially due to the new baby? The wife and I were discussing an IM over the last few days (due to your awesome inspiration ). Her concern is obviously the work load with a new baby. We are blessed that the 2yr old sleeps very good and always has. I can only hope the new baby does as well. So at this moment it is looking like 2015 for an IM. Not a bad thing, I don't think as it will continue to allow me to build a solid base like you have called out in your report.

Speaking as a triathlete with young children it's part of the reason I haven't made the jump yet. I don't know where I'll fit in 1.5-2X the volume and still keep up with the kids and work.
2013-05-22 9:34 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Pro
CyFair

Here's the thing. Ironman is a selfish endeavor. It just is. You train 6-7 days a week for 2-7 hours. When you're in it you feel like you have to get every workout in or you're going to FUBAR your race. Parenting and being married is just the opposite of selfish. So you really have to have the buy in of your spouse or significant other. Otherwise you're looking at 6 months of fighting. Cindy and I had our fights and I was TOTALLY honest about the time commitment this would take. 6 mornings a week when the kids woke up I wasn't there. I wasn't there for half a day on the weekends the last 2 or so months. When the kids went to bed and it was "us time" I just wanted to sleep later in the process. If Quinn woke up in the middle of the night I was dead to the world. It is a lot to ask of a spouse when you have young kids that aren't partially/mostly self sufficient.

That said I REALLY want to do IMFL, IMAZ, or IMCOZ in 2014, or IMLP in 2015. Cindy is pushing Vineman for the winery aspect.
2013-05-22 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Here's the thing. Ironman is a selfish endeavor. It just is. You train 6-7 days a week for 2-7 hours. When you're in it you feel like you have to get every workout in or you're going to FUBAR your race. Parenting and being married is just the opposite of selfish. So you really have to have the buy in of your spouse or significant other. Otherwise you're looking at 6 months of fighting. Cindy and I had our fights and I was TOTALLY honest about the time commitment this would take. 6 mornings a week when the kids woke up I wasn't there. I wasn't there for half a day on the weekends the last 2 or so months. When the kids went to bed and it was "us time" I just wanted to sleep later in the process. If Quinn woke up in the middle of the night I was dead to the world. It is a lot to ask of a spouse when you have young kids that aren't partially/mostly self sufficient.

That said I REALLY want to do IMFL, IMAZ, or IMCOZ in 2014, or IMLP in 2015. Cindy is pushing Vineman for the winery aspect.

Tell Cindy if she agrees to IMFL in 2014 theres a very lovely beach, cheap condos and my mom will be around and loves to babysit (something about not having grandchildren of her own).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86