BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-05-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
I've got side work putting in lawn drainage this weekend, so I probably won't be doing any structured training. A lot of digging & raking though, if I keep moving I'll get a pretty good workout. Hope everyone else has good weather & good training!

2019-05-03 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5258357

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Beer festival tonight...between my wife and I we had 46 tasting tickets. I’ve never been so full of beer in my life!!! Sad thing is, none of the breweries had any cards or anything, so I have no idea what I tried or whether or not I liked it. I did dump a couple of glasses of stuff from the home brew tent, but overall, everything else was pretty good. We had a great time and in the end actually gave away some tickets as we were headed out. We both had to go to the bathroom and there was no way we were going to use the porta Johns at the festival. Somewhere along the way in life our priorities changed. Lol
2019-05-04 2:49 PM
in reply to: #5258372

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:30 on the trainer followed by 25’ run. It is so humid here it is like drinking the air.
2019-05-05 9:01 AM
in reply to: #5258384

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day!!

Of course, that really means do all the stuff I don't have time to do during the week. Big thing today is meal planning, grocery shopping, and meal prep. If I don't do it now, we'll be eating takeout all week.
2019-05-06 7:46 AM
in reply to: #5258395

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hey all!! How was everyone’s weekend? I spent most of it doing chores and getting ready for the insurance adjuster to come today (roof).

Monday morning means VO2 max bike intervals!!! Nothing like trying to kill yourself early in the week! Later this afternoon is an easy run.

In between, I get to go to the dissertation defense of one of my favorite graduate students (not my student) and see him finish up his degree requirements! This guy has persevered through so much, including almost dying from an unknown/undiagnosed tropical disease while he was conducting his fieldwork in Thailand.
2019-05-06 9:28 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - In your field, you really do live a life of adventure!!  Sometimes I'm jealous, sometimes I'll take the safety of my desk job any day

2019-05-06 11:28 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I have been a waste of life lately. My schedule should finally slow down this week so I will hopefully have time to clean my house and meal prep at some point. I've been eating so poorly lately. The outdoor pool at my gym is open and I don't even feel ready to go there! No bueno. I need my motivation back!
2019-05-06 11:42 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e I have been a waste of life lately. My schedule should finally slow down this week so I will hopefully have time to clean my house and meal prep at some point. I've been eating so poorly lately. The outdoor pool at my gym is open and I don't even feel ready to go there! No bueno. I need my motivation back!

This!  I feel like Austin Powers, I've lost my mojo!  I've been running fairly consistently, sort of stuck in an eternal Week 9 of a 12 week HM plan.  I ride my bike once every couple weeks, if that (though finally installing a bike rack on my car this week should help!).  I haven't started a Y membership because I looked at the pool schedule and it isn't great compared with my schedule.  I need a 10 miler or Half Marathon on a road course, timed with chip - but all we have until late October is a Beach HM and a couple Trail HMs.  

I have a race booked (Dopey Challenge 2020) (although I have no idea how I'm going to pay for it yet - its $630) but the training plan for that doesn't kick off until like August. Usually races are all the motivation I need to make sure I get my training done.  

2019-05-06 1:16 PM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Hello all-

I've been away from the forum for a few weeks, but still in training. It was a good weekend.

Saturday - Swim workout distance training
400m warmup
750m at 1:57 pace
550m at 1:55 pace
6x50m kicking with board
5x100m breathing every 3 strokes, then 5, then 7, 7, and 7
500m cool down

Sunday - FIRST EVER Brick Workout
90 minute bike: 1:30:47 time, 28.25 miles, average speed 18.7mph
30 minute run: 30:02 time, 3.83mi, average pace 7:51

The run was tough. I felt like my legs were going to cramp up a few times. I also went out too fast, and kept going to fast. But it felt good in the end.

No BOTW for me. The wife and I are on 3 weeks of no alcohol. A week in, and I honestly feel much more fresh and capable.
2019-05-06 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 1:30 on the trainer followed by 25’ run. It is so humid here it is like drinking the air.

I hear you...Fri/Sat/Sun in the mid-Atlantic were AWFUL.  At least it's not snowing??? 

Visited a college with our daughter on Friday (Carnegie-Mellon...not-so-humblebrag , though I have no idea how we'd pay for it if she gets in), got a text during the tour that our flight back had been cancelled, so we decided to stay overnight and get up at 4:20 rather than drive through the thunderstorm mess to get home.  For the record, May air travel sucks.

Didn't work out Friday or Saturday and got in a nice treadmill session yesterday.  Today was an hour + on the bike, main set 2 x (3 x 2.5' @ 115%, 5' RBI @ 40%), 8' RBS @ 50%.  Tough workout - last interval maxed out bike HR pretty much but got through it alive (-ish).

2019-05-06 6:38 PM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by rpaulson7 Hello all- I've been away from the forum for a few weeks, but still in training. It was a good weekend. Saturday - Swim workout distance training 400m warmup 750m at 1:57 pace 550m at 1:55 pace 6x50m kicking with board 5x100m breathing every 3 strokes, then 5, then 7, 7, and 7 500m cool down Sunday - FIRST EVER Brick Workout 90 minute bike: 1:30:47 time, 28.25 miles, average speed 18.7mph 30 minute run: 30:02 time, 3.83mi, average pace 7:51 The run was tough. I felt like my legs were going to cramp up a few times. I also went out too fast, and kept going to fast. But it felt good in the end. No BOTW for me. The wife and I are on 3 weeks of no alcohol. A week in, and I honestly feel much more fresh and capable.

That's really good for your first brick workout.  I wouldn't push that run any farther - you're getting the feel for running after riding, not trying to emulate the race distance.

2019-05-06 8:21 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

I did a landscape workout, 100' of trenching, drainage pipe and about 50' of backfill. Managed to work over, around, or under a mess of landscape lighting wire, irrigation pipe, mosquito misting system, & roots. Waiting out storms and a 20' section with a lot of clay in it slowed me down, I got the drainage all together, but didn't get everything put back together. Should be about a half day of work this Saturday.

Needless to say, food prep didn't get done for me either. I usually keep a couple of bags of BirdsEye frozen protein blends in the freezer. Target and Aldi have their own, but the idea is the same; A whole grain, some legumes, some vegies, and some sort of seasoning. One of those with some chicken breast is a quick and easy lunch. They're a little high in salt, but I figure I sweat enough.

I think it's the high cadence on the bike that makes you feel like you need to run fast. If you can handle it, then great! It seems to get easier both with pace and cramping as you practice. I've been good this year about doing my bricks and it felt pretty good in the sprint I did. I don't know if it really helps, but sometimes I'll split my bike and run times in half and do two bricks back to back. So if I had a 1:00 bike and a :30 run planned, I'd do :30 bike, :15 run x2. I figure it gets you more time in that transition zone.

John, that sucks that your goal marathon might not happen. Sounds like that's got you down motivation wise. Maybe it's time to reassess, what if you find another goal to get excited about for this year and push the Dopey Challange to next year? It would give you more time to find a qualifier, and save up.
2019-05-07 9:18 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by nicole14e I have been a waste of life lately. My schedule should finally slow down this week so I will hopefully have time to clean my house and meal prep at some point. I've been eating so poorly lately. The outdoor pool at my gym is open and I don't even feel ready to go there! No bueno. I need my motivation back!

This!  I feel like Austin Powers, I've lost my mojo!  I've been running fairly consistently, sort of stuck in an eternal Week 9 of a 12 week HM plan.  I ride my bike once every couple weeks, if that (though finally installing a bike rack on my car this week should help!).  I haven't started a Y membership because I looked at the pool schedule and it isn't great compared with my schedule.  I need a 10 miler or Half Marathon on a road course, timed with chip - but all we have until late October is a Beach HM and a couple Trail HMs.  

I have a race booked (Dopey Challenge 2020) (although I have no idea how I'm going to pay for it yet - its $630) but the training plan for that doesn't kick off until like August. Usually races are all the motivation I need to make sure I get my training done.  

That's frustrating there aren't any races! Is it because of the heat down there? You'd think they'd at least offer something for those willing to brave it. I totally get that though. I was thinking I should sign up for something now so I have some motivation. I didn't think I was going to be able to race much this season b/c of school/money, but since I'm not going to school anymore I have money so should definitely sign up for something soon. I really want to focus on tri training this year.
2019-05-07 9:20 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by rpaulson7

No BOTW for me. The wife and I are on 3 weeks of no alcohol. A week in, and I honestly feel much more fresh and capable.

Isn't it sad how good not drinking can feel? I'm thinking of taking another break from it myself.
2019-05-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove 1:30 on the trainer followed by 25’ run. It is so humid here it is like drinking the air.

I hear you...Fri/Sat/Sun in the mid-Atlantic were AWFUL.  At least it's not snowing??? 

Visited a college with our daughter on Friday (Carnegie-Mellon...not-so-humblebrag , though I have no idea how we'd pay for it if she gets in), got a text during the tour that our flight back had been cancelled, so we decided to stay overnight and get up at 4:20 rather than drive through the thunderstorm mess to get home.  For the record, May air travel sucks.

Didn't work out Friday or Saturday and got in a nice treadmill session yesterday.  Today was an hour + on the bike, main set 2 x (3 x 2.5' @ 115%, 5' RBI @ 40%), 8' RBS @ 50%.  Tough workout - last interval maxed out bike HR pretty much but got through it alive (-ish).

Swimming scholarship maybe?
2019-05-07 10:01 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Riles the landscape work looks fantastic!

And thanks all for the thoughts and ideas.  

Regarding the Dopey and the HM...  The way RunDisney works, you don't need to qualify but you do need to submit proof of time so they can assign your corral.  The late corrals are terrible - all walkers, huge lines for character photos...you really want to get in the early ones.  There's a corral cutoff between having run a sub-2 hr HM and a 2-2:15.  For all of you here last year, you may recall my 'PR for most character photo stops' HM (that resulted in a 2:02). I can use that one, but it puts me in a later corral than my friend I'm running with (who registered me and I now owe $630).  

Mostly I'm almost in HM shape right now and really want a race to push me over the edge training wise.  But yeah, the heat down here and no one holds HMs after like April 15th, and not until like October 20th or later (need my proof of time by Oct 9).  So until my Dopey training plan starts in August, I have nothing on the calendar to work towards.  Maybe I can register for a bike gran fondo or something and at least pick the bike back up?  

2019-05-07 10:31 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Originally posted by nicole14e

Isn't it sad how good not drinking can feel? I'm thinking of taking another break from it myself.

Yea. I'd gotten to the point of 2-4 craft beers a night, 4-5 nights a week. Then the wife would think "if he's having a drink, then I'll have a glass of wine or two." Not getting drunk, just not healthy choices. She was getting disappointed in weight gain, so we agreed to go three weeks without - until I have a fishing trip planned. When I come back, I can probably go another three weeks.

It's rather refreshing! And going through more tea in the meantime.
2019-05-07 11:30 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Definitely sounds like the right time for a reset!  I'm headed there myself, though 2-4 is more like 1-3 for me right now, but 6-7 days a week instead of 4-5. 

Don't know about you guys, and this always sounds counter-intuitive to me, but I find the more I am working out, the less I want beer.  Like I'll go through a particularly difficult run and all I can think about is the beer reward at the end.  And by the time I get home, stretch and shower, all I want is water.  For me at least it does hep to be working out more often as it limits the number of multi-craft beer nights I have!

2019-05-07 2:30 PM

User image

John, sounds like we need to talk a race organizer into doing a Midnight Run HM to beat the heat. I'm sure the logistics & liability would be a nightmare though.
2019-05-07 2:47 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
John--what about an OWS race? Does that strike your fancy?

I too am off the sauce for a while. I was falling into the same pattern Riles and John are talking about, 1-4 craft beers a night, 4-6 nights a week. Not only is that expensive, but man, that's like 800 extra calories a day (and I can feel them!). I started a round of Whole30 yesterday--no alcohol, dairy, grains, legumes, sugar, or soy--for 30 days. Essentially, it is meat, veggies, and fruit in a variety of combinations. I did two last year and really liked how I felt (and slept!) when eating that way, but man is it a lot of work. You really have to plan and make sure you have food ready to eat when the stuff hits the fan, as it always does. There is essentially no eating out on this plan, since restaurants put butter in nearly everything.

Today was my long run of 1:15 and then almost immediately, a 1850yd swim. Yes, the ever famous run/swim brick that no one ever invented because it does you absolutely no good in triathlon. Time was an issue today. I didn't get up early enough to get in my run before the morning commuters started blindly driving down our country road, so I had to wait until everyone went to work and run then. Well, I got distracted and didn't get out on the road until 10:30 or so. By the time I got back, I had to head to the pool immediately or risk not finishing my workout before open swim ended. The bright side is less laundry, because I just wore my running clothes to the gym instead of showering and changing, as I would have done if I did the run earlier.
2019-05-08 6:30 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by riles32807 John, sounds like we need to talk a race organizer into doing a Midnight Run HM to beat the heat. I'm sure the logistics & liability would be a nightmare though.

It's a thing!

https://www.verywellfit.com/races-to-run-at-night-4146450

2019-05-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: #5258427

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
There is a moonlight race around an old historic cemetery in Springfield, IL! The finish line is right next to Aberaham Lincoln's tomb!
2019-05-08 9:28 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove There is a moonlight race around an old historic cemetery in Springfield, IL! The finish line is right next to Aberaham Lincoln's tomb!

I would love this!!!!!

2019-05-08 10:44 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Originally posted by sappho96

It's a thing!

https://www.verywellfit.com/races-to-run-at-night-4146450

That's about what I found too, they're either 5k/10k fun runs later in the year which doesn't help John. =/
2019-05-08 11:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Definitely sounds like the right time for a reset!  I'm headed there myself, though 2-4 is more like 1-3 for me right now, but 6-7 days a week instead of 4-5. 

Don't know about you guys, and this always sounds counter-intuitive to me, but I find the more I am working out, the less I want beer.  Like I'll go through a particularly difficult run and all I can think about is the beer reward at the end.  And by the time I get home, stretch and shower, all I want is water.  For me at least it does hep to be working out more often as it limits the number of multi-craft beer nights I have!

Same! Our bodies know water is what we need at that point Of course I also mostly work out in the morning, and typically it's frowned upon to start drinking then, haha
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8555 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1038 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa