BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-05-07 11:01 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

managed some riding today and then had the delight of this workout after (no squat jumps for my leg, so just did weighted squats)

2020-05-07 1:41 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Yesterday was a rest day. Today I woke up and went on a short run, did some core, walked for 30 minutes (to Hopkins) to get some blood drawn. Looks like my TSH (thyroid hormone) is finally back to almost normal (it was SUPER high). I'll meet with my doc next week to see if being very slightly over normal is okay. Then walked home, and just got done doing some yoga.

I also will be getting workouts made for me to do at home 3-4 days a week for the next 2 months. I also will start tracking my meals to be better about eating out/not cooking healthy food and trying to build better, sustainable habits.
2020-05-07 4:02 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e I also will be getting workouts made for me to do at home 3-4 days a week for the next 2 months. 

You can copy the lovely w/o our rugby coach set

2020-05-07 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Went out for a ride after work tonight. Proud of the fact that I'm slowly creating a habit.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good info on how to increase my speed? I biked 10 miles today in 54:09 - or 11.2 miles per hour. My first 5 mile split was 4 minutes faster than the return leg. I know riding more will help but I would like to find a more structured program or plan. I was going to try the beginning riders program on the site but I'd like be interested in other plans.

I'm also looking for techniques on how to ride better or more efficiently.

THanks for your help! Tonight we are using the weber grill for the first time tonight. Gonna make burgers and couscous with wild mushrooms.
2020-05-07 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I woke up and went on a short run, did some core, walked for 30 minutes (to Hopkins) to get some blood drawn. Looks like my TSH (thyroid hormone) is finally back to almost normal (it was SUPER high). I'll meet with my doc next week to see if being very slightly over normal is okay. Then walked home, and just got done doing some yoga.

I also will be getting workouts made for me to do at home 3-4 days a week for the next 2 months. I also will start tracking my meals to be better about eating out/not cooking healthy food and trying to build better, sustainable habits.

Nicole - how will you be tracking your meals?

Good luck with your doc.
2020-05-07 5:23 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Originally posted by riles32807

Originally posted by Qua17

Today I went out for a ride on an absolutely beautiful day. I got 11 slow miles in and I have some good news to share. Today is my third ride in a row - I haven't ridden 3 times without missing a workout in more than 2 years. So, while the progress is slow, I'm still making progress in the great scheme of things.

That's awesome Dave! Keep it up and it'll become a habit. Then the days you don't get to ride you'll be missing it. =)

I'm giving some thought to doing a century ride this summer as a goal for myself(since all the races have been cancelled (or will be )) but I can't find a good training plan. I want something that's got a slow build up because I'm in such crappy shape now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Good question. I know running the recommendation is not more than 10% increase in volume per week, long run shouldn't be more than I think 30% of weekly volume. I think I've heard the 10% rule given for cycling too, but I'm not sure.

I'd pick a date in August or September (maybe October if you don't think it will be too cold) and set a date to complete your century. Work back from there and see what its like. I'd probably want my long ride to be at 80-90 miles at least two weeks out from the ride, back off to maybe 40-50 the week before your ride. And have a fairly easy week leading up. If you can get to 80-90 miles 3-4 weeks out, that's even better it'll give you a little buffer incase life gets in the way.

Picking a date also sets a goal instead of just saying "some day".

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I agree I need to pick a date. It might be nice to take in some fall foliage during the century. I'm thinking of doing the century with a mountain at the end. Seems like a good way to make the ride a little more challenging.

2020-05-07 7:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
OK - I have a plan for my Century Ride, which will serve as my A race this season.

I've picked the date - Sunday October 4 (which would have been my mother's 87th birthday). I'll leave early to avoid as much traffic as possible. If rain is predicted, I will do it either the day before or the week after. As a precursor, I'm going to bike from my house to my friend's house in Exeter, NH. It's an 85 mile trip

I've picked the route - I'm going to leave my house and pass through my kid's hometown (so they can cheer me on) before heading north to Mount Wachsett (which should be at its foliage peak) and then I will bike home. Here's the route https://goo.gl/maps/SEFhMVtg8vY341qi9

I'm going to design a T-Shirt and raise some money for my son's rehab hospital (I'm thinking $500).

What else do I need to think about?

Edited by Qua17 2020-05-07 7:41 PM
2020-05-08 9:12 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by nicole14e I also will be getting workouts made for me to do at home 3-4 days a week for the next 2 months. 

I just may!
2020-05-08 9:16 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

OK - I have a plan for my Century Ride, which will serve as my A race this season.

I've picked the date - Sunday October 4 (which would have been my mother's 87th birthday). I'll leave early to avoid as much traffic as possible. If rain is predicted, I will do it either the day before or the week after. As a precursor, I'm going to bike from my house to my friend's house in Exeter, NH. It's an 85 mile trip

I've picked the route - I'm going to leave my house and pass through my kid's hometown (so they can cheer me on) before heading north to Mount Wachsett (which should be at its foliage peak) and then I will bike home. Here's the route https://goo.gl/maps/SEFhMVtg8vY341qi9

I'm going to design a T-Shirt and raise some money for my son's rehab hospital (I'm thinking $500).

What else do I need to think about?

This sounds like such an awesome plan! It will give you plenty of time to get your speed back up! Also, that dinner on the grill sounds delicious!
2020-05-08 9:26 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole - how will you be tracking your meals?

Good luck with your doc.

I've decided I'm going to try OneNote. I feel apps are too clunky, having to pick out each food you added to a salad. He said he doesn't need too much detail, so for now I'm just keeping a simple journal and typing out what i included in it. He said for now he just wants me to keep doing what I've been doing, to get a baseline. When I track my meals I am typically better about what I'm eating, but I told him I would try to maintain my usual gluttony
2020-05-08 9:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did my first workout today that was provided by this trainer. It was pretty good. Very strength based. I'm going to need to make sure I run before some of them to get my cardio in. These are more HIIT workouts, which I love, but will need variety for sure. Also did a 5 minute yoga stretch after, and my 10 minutes of core with my roommate.

Edited by nicole14e 2020-05-08 9:52 AM

2020-05-08 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Yesterday was a rest day. Today I woke up and went on a short run, did some core, walked for 30 minutes (to Hopkins) to get some blood drawn. Looks like my TSH (thyroid hormone) is finally back to almost normal (it was SUPER high). I'll meet with my doc next week to see if being very slightly over normal is okay. Then walked home, and just got done doing some yoga. I also will be getting workouts made for me to do at home 3-4 days a week for the next 2 months. I also will start tracking my meals to be better about eating out/not cooking healthy food and trying to build better, sustainable habits.
Nicole - how will you be tracking your meals? Good luck with your doc.
I've decided I'm going to try OneNote. I feel apps are too clunky, having to pick out each food you added to a salad. He said he doesn't need too much detail, so for now I'm just keeping a simple journal and typing out what i included in it. He said for now he just wants me to keep doing what I've been doing, to get a baseline. When I track my meals I am typically better about what I'm eating, but I told him I would try to maintain my usual gluttony

Yeah - my COVID-19 (that's the number of pounds I plan on gaining, not the disease...) diet journal would look like:

Breakfast
Eat Cookies
Lunch
Eat More Cookies
Mid-Afternoon Snack and More Cookies
Pre-Dinner IPA
Dinner w/ Glass of Wine
More Cookies Post-Dinner IPA
Pre-Bedtime Snack

Glad I workout a lot. 

2020-05-08 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Did my first workout today that was provided by this trainer. It was pretty good. Very strength based. I'm going to need to make sure I run before some of them to get my cardio in. These are more HIIT workouts, which I love, but will need variety for sure. Also did a 5 minute yoga stretch after, and my 10 minutes of core with my roommate.

My wife and daughter are doing the 60-day Insanity challenge.  Now THAT is a HIIT workout - OMG.    I hear them screaming in agony from here in my office.

I'll stick to the bike and some occasional planks, thank you.

2020-05-08 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 OK - I have a plan for my Century Ride, which will serve as my A race this season. I've picked the date - Sunday October 4 (which would have been my mother's 87th birthday). I'll leave early to avoid as much traffic as possible. If rain is predicted, I will do it either the day before or the week after. As a precursor, I'm going to bike from my house to my friend's house in Exeter, NH. It's an 85 mile trip I've picked the route - I'm going to leave my house and pass through my kid's hometown (so they can cheer me on) before heading north to Mount Wachsett (which should be at its foliage peak) and then I will bike home. Here's the route https://goo.gl/maps/SEFhMVtg8vY341qi9I'm going to design a T-Shirt and raise some money for my son's rehab hospital (I'm thinking $500). What else do I need to think about?

Are you doing this self-supported?  Just make sure to bring along the usual bike tools and a couple of spare tubes and CO2 stuff.  And you'll likely be out there 6-7 hours even after getting some pace back, so be ready for varying temps/weather and have a place to put your shed clothing. 

2020-05-08 2:25 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good 45’ run today. I had to do it by RPE because I replaced my hrm battery yesterday and stuck it in there backwards. ????. It was a good run thou based on pace and overall feeling.

Yesterday I moved about 20,000lbs of gravel. I *only* have about 10,000lbs left of this load (another arrives tomorrow), so it is a light arms day. And yes, my arms and back are starting to look pretty good!!
2020-05-08 8:05 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Good 45’ run today. I had to do it by RPE because I replaced my hrm battery yesterday and stuck it in there backwards. ????. It was a good run thou based on pace and overall feeling.

Yesterday I moved about 20,000lbs of gravel. I *only* have about 10,000lbs left of this load (another arrives tomorrow), so it is a light arms day. And yes, my arms and back are starting to look pretty good!!

Nice run!

What are you using all the gravel for?

2020-05-08 8:08 PM
in reply to: #5270013

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave—I’m building our “pandemic” patio. First I had to build a retaining wall, because our yard is not level. Now I’m laying down the gravel bed for the patio pavers. The patio got about twice as large as we originally planned when the pandemic hit, just because I now have the time to build it. It has been a lot of work!!
2020-05-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Qua17 OK - I have a plan for my Century Ride, which will serve as my A race this season. I've picked the date - Sunday October 4 (which would have been my mother's 87th birthday). I'll leave early to avoid as much traffic as possible. If rain is predicted, I will do it either the day before or the week after. As a precursor, I'm going to bike from my house to my friend's house in Exeter, NH. It's an 85 mile trip I've picked the route - I'm going to leave my house and pass through my kid's hometown (so they can cheer me on) before heading north to Mount Wachsett (which should be at its foliage peak) and then I will bike home. Here's the route https://goo.gl/maps/SEFhMVtg8vY341qi9I'm going to design a T-Shirt and raise some money for my son's rehab hospital (I'm thinking $500). What else do I need to think about?

Are you doing this self-supported?  Just make sure to bring along the usual bike tools and a couple of spare tubes and CO2 stuff.  And you'll likely be out there 6-7 hours even after getting some pace back, so be ready for varying temps/weather and have a place to put your shed clothing. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gonna ride solo. I'll be able to hit rest areas at the 15 50 and 85 mile marks and my girlfriend will meet me at the half way point (that will be a high light) so i should be all set
2020-05-09 6:38 AM

User image

Expert

Dave—I’m building our “pandemic” patio. First I had to build a retaining wall, because our yard is not level. Now I’m laying down the gravel bed for the patio pavers. The patio got about twice as large as we originally planned when the pandemic hit, just because I now have the time to build it. It has been a lot of work!!

Sounds like it. Good luck with the rest of the project! You'll be sipping cold ones on that patio soon enough!
2020-05-09 11:07 AM
in reply to: #5270017

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Three hours on the trainer, followed by a 30’ brick run. Trainer was blah, run was good. Now waiting on my gravel guy to show up with (hopefully) the last load of rock for my patio
2020-05-09 2:11 PM

User image

Expert

Three hours on the trainer, followed by a 30’ brick run. Trainer was blah, run was good. Now waiting on my gravel guy to show up with (hopefully) the last load of rock for my patio

Damn! That's a lot of time on the drainer - what race(s) are you training for?

2020-05-09 3:02 PM
in reply to: #5270027

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave—training for Michigan Titanium 140.6. It is in August, and so far hasn’t been cancelled. I agree...a long time on the trainer!!
2020-05-09 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Went out for another ride and it was cold (it snowed this morning). The temps were in the mid forties but what really made it cold was the 30 mph wind. The wind really played havoc with my ride - and my speed was really affected. Instead of my usual 11 or 12 mph - I hovered around 10. I couldn't go any faster, which leads me to a question - where can I find a good book or website on the basics of biking. I think I'm pedaling in too low of a gear but I don't know.

To try to find some new routes - I took advantage of the free 30 day trial on strava. Anyone else use it? WHat are your thoughts?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

DQ

2020-05-09 4:20 PM

User image

Expert

Dave—training for Michigan Titanium 140.6. It is in August, and so far hasn’t been cancelled. I agree...a long time on the trainer!!

That's awesome! I remember those days. I will pray your race doesn't get cancelled. How goes the gravel?
2020-05-10 6:59 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by sappho96

I just may!

New one being posted today or tomorrow. Will copy it over.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 7238 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123