BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-01-14 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
Man, you guys are crazy busy! I don't have time to reply to everyone -- I'll check all your logs later -- but I wanted to drop in and say hi. I had a good training weekend: found a fantastic bike ride that made me actually *love* my bike for a couple hours, and had a swim lesson with a really wonderful coach. Score!

And now, because I pretty much always have a question: The swim coach said I shouldn't be putting my head down so much in the water. Everything I've read (which is mostly TI stuff, I believe) says you should be pretty much staring at the bottom of the pool when you swim. But the coach said the water line should be basically at my hair or cap line, so I could almost see the end of the pool if I looked up through my goggles. Her explanation made sense (basically, you get less draft in the water), but I know keeping my head down has helped me keep my legs/hips up. Any swim experts have some thoughts on if it's better to keep my head up or down? I'm inclined to go with the coach, because she was there and saw me swim, but I'd be interested to hear what my favorite experts have to say.

2008-01-14 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1155618

User image

Melon Presser

Erin on swimming head position

Fielding - 2008-01-14 2:03 The swim coach said I shouldn't be putting my head down so much in the water. Everything I've read (which is mostly TI stuff, I believe) says you should be pretty much staring at the bottom of the pool when you swim. But the coach said the water line should be basically at my hair or cap line, so I could almost see the end of the pool if I looked up through my goggles. Her explanation made sense (basically, you get less draft in the water), but I know keeping my head down has helped me keep my legs/hips up. Any swim experts have some thoughts on if it's better to keep my head up or down? I'm inclined to go with the coach, because she was there and saw me swim, but I'd be interested to hear what my favorite experts have to say.

99% of everything I've read says--and what I have taught/coach in the water--is look down or just very slightly ahead. Some basic reasons: it keeps a neutral spine => hips/legs more likely to be in line with body => more efficient swivel rotation around your body axis => breathing more likely to be efficient => no neck-ache => less likely to get a hand/foot directly to face in OWS and lose goggles.

There are two reasons I can think of why she would say head up: 1. It was conventional wisdom in swimming for a long time, and is sometimes though rarely still taught in short-distance/competitive swimming; 2. There is something specific about your body mechanics/swim style that when you focus on keeping your head up, you're actually in a more straight-line position with hips & legs in line (I still think it's a long shot, but possible).

I'm not sure what "less draft" means ... less drag?

Edit P.S. -- I am THRILLED you got a fantastic bike ride in! Isn't it wonderful? And also, head position perhaps aside, it's also really good you got a coach that is helping you make progress in the water. 

Edited by TriAya 2008-01-14 4:55 PM
2008-01-14 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1155711

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-01-14 2:52 PM

99% of everything I've read says--and what I have taught/coach in the water--is look down or just very slightly ahead. Some basic reasons: it keeps a neutral spine => hips/legs more likely to be in line with body => more efficient swivel rotation around your body axis => breathing more likely to be efficient => no neck-ache => less likely to get a hand/foot directly to face in OWS and lose goggles.

There are two reasons I can think of why she would say head up: 1. It was conventional wisdom in swimming for a long time, and is sometimes though rarely still taught in short-distance/competitive swimming; 2. There is something specific about your body mechanics/swim style that when you focus on keeping your head up, you're actually in a more straight-line position with hips & legs in line (I still think it's a long shot, but possible).

I'm not sure what "less draft" means ... less drag?

Heh, yes, I meant less drag. Anyway, I think you nailed it -- she specifically mentioned that the head-up position is kind of old school, and even demonstrated how the top swimmers used to swim with their heads almost completely out of the water. I don't think there's some specific about my body mechanics, though -- I think she was just taught head up. I suspect I'll be ignoring that advice (although I might not try quite as hard to stare straight down, which doesn't feel quite natural).

I thought about you a lot on my fabulous bike ride! I spent several long minutes thinking about what you said about picturing my body as one with the bike, as a giant machine, I guess. And then I spent a long while just thinking about my breathing and clearing my head. Both techniques helped me stay focused, but not exhausted, on the long uphill. But once I got to the top I couldn't focus on anything because I was having too much fun!
2008-01-14 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1155761

User image

Melon Presser

Fielding - 2008-01-14 3:21 PM I thought about you a lot on my fabulous bike ride! I spent several long minutes thinking about what you said about picturing my body as one with the bike, as a giant machine, I guess. And then I spent a long while just thinking about my breathing and clearing my head. Both techniques helped me stay focused, but not exhausted, on the long uphill. But once I got to the top I couldn't focus on anything because I was having too much fun!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (downhill) eeeeeeeeeeeeee yay! Good, good, good. Thank you for reporting back on that.

I love hills--running, biking, swimming (ha, ha) you name it. I'll go dig up my "how to get up hills" thing, too--it's a mental technique, not a physical one.

2008-01-14 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
I love running hills that is where I can separate from my running group. I seem to be able to run stronger on the hills then on the flats. I would rather run a hill workout then a long flat workout
2008-01-14 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1155807

User image

Melon Presser

ShawnC13 - 2008-01-14 3:53 PM I love running hills that is where I can separate from my running group. I seem to be able to run stronger on the hills then on the flats. I would rather run a hill workout then a long flat workout

I am right with you there, Mr. Armstrong! I don't know what or why it is (especially since I am a heavier athlete), but I have some guesses.

And part of it, too, I think--probably for both of us--is sheer joy and sense of adventure. A hill!

2008-01-14 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I won't go so far as to say I *love* hills, but I do like them a lot (I'm talking mostly running, since I don't have a lot of experience biking hills). They add interest, and something about running hills forces me to really coordinate my body. It's hard to describe. I just know I have an easier time getting into that "zone" when I'm running uphill than on a flat. I get a rhythm going and I feel like I'm unstoppable. (Of course, I also really like running downhill. Whee!)
2008-01-14 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1155812

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
TriAya - 2008-01-14 3:55 PM

ShawnC13 - 2008-01-14 3:53 PM I love running hills that is where I can separate from my running group. I seem to be able to run stronger on the hills then on the flats. I would rather run a hill workout then a long flat workout

I am right with you there, Mr. Armstrong! I don't know what or why it is (especially since I am a heavier athlete), but I have some guesses.

And part of it, too, I think--probably for both of us--is sheer joy and sense of adventure. A hill!

I'm a "heavier athlete" too and I also like hills.  I think others running with/near me are shocked that I can do what I do.  Same thing used to happen in high school and college sports--I was super fast but didn't look it, so I could whip those skinny little gals when they weren't expecting it.  It's also great for the derriere and legs!  Plus on downhills when gravity kicks in, watch out!!!!!  Sooooo fun!!!  I am planning my first Oly tri in June that is on a flat course (there's a thread in the clydes/athena sections) but I know training on hills will help a lot.  The hill I live on is currently being covered in snow, while just a couple miles below it is sleeting.  Love it!!!!

2008-01-14 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1154886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
HCS5QA - 2008-01-14 10:40 AM

wplummer - 2008-01-14 7:42 AM
TriAya - 2008-01-13 8:11 PM

Will on his first planned tri

yanti- in my life i have learned that with proper training and effort you can acheive your goals. if i want to be a stronger and faster runner-train to be a stronger and faster runner. i know with my partially f'ed up knee that will be a limiting factor, and i think thats one of the reasons why i may strive for a goal of time vs mileage. hopefully the increased mileage will not cause more damage to my knee. i am ready to go...and now if i can get rid of these lingering cold symptoms. my first foray into the pool should be saturday morning!!!! i do have the TI video(and i am willing to share it with everyone if they need a copy). i am also think that i have found my first race-april 6 down in san diego 1000yd swim/40k bike/10k run.....i know it maybe over my head but i am mentally focused so anything is possible. have a great day i hope that you are doing great....train lots and enjoy some chocolate cake from time to time....

Ooooh ... prophetic words about chocolate cake ... I'm trying to hold back my horses on eating the present I got (pic below).

Well, you know the drill with the knee (after all, it's your knee and you know it best!) ... build slowly, keep tabs on it, ice. If it starts to bother--pull back. Increase walking. Etc.

I'm slowly wading through the posts--you've probably already gotten in the water by now, so congrats, and good for you on working on the TI system!

Actually, your planned race sounds wonderful! No, you're not in over your head, as long as you train smart. Train time if you feel you should; if that approach isn't bringing you close enough to the distance, sloooooooooow down and git 'er done.

Thanks yanti for your inspiration...ok so i finally signed up for the race, and the ironic thing is I think that it is the same event that Hector is doing(April 6 Superseal). I will pm him to see. Finally feeling better, wed night i will be in the water, and running my arse off. it is nice to feel normal again. nice cake yanti.

That's the same race I'm doing, will have to find each other on that day.

alright hector we have our work cut out for us.....i will be on one of those red bikes. i have heard that they are faster. i will in the water tomorrow, and training daily. have fun training, and afterwards we can grab an adult beverage or two.
2008-01-14 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1155829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
Medusa_Ann - 2008-01-14 4:04 PM

TriAya - 2008-01-14 3:55 PM

I'm a "heavier athlete" too and I also like hills.  I think others running with/near me are shocked that I can do what I do.  Same thing used to happen in high school and college sports--I was super fast but didn't look it, so I could whip those skinny little gals when they weren't expecting it.  It's also great for the derriere and legs!  Plus on downhills when gravity kicks in, watch out!!!!!  Sooooo fun!!!  I am planning my first Oly tri in June that is on a flat course (there's a thread in the clydes/athena sections) but I know training on hills will help a lot.  The hill I live on is currently being covered in snow, while just a couple miles below it is sleeting.  Love it!!!!

i am also a "heavier athlete".....both on the bike and the run i love to conquer hills.. we get to use those strong legs to attack those hills. even flat/rolling hills gets to be a little mundane for me. give me elevation and i am the happiest.
2008-01-14 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Heavier lol I am one of these also for my size I should not be weighing in at just under 200 lbs haha oh well working on that. I have sprinters legs not distance big and lots of muscle which also sucks for swimming as they just SINK

2008-01-14 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1155948

User image

Master
Fort Worth
wplummer - 2008-01-14 5:11 PM
HCS5QA - 2008-01-14 10:40 AM
wplummer - 2008-01-14 7:42 AM
TriAya - 2008-01-13 8:11 PM

Will on his first planned tri

yanti- in my life i have learned that with proper training and effort you can acheive your goals. if i want to be a stronger and faster runner-train to be a stronger and faster runner. i know with my partially f'ed up knee that will be a limiting factor, and i think thats one of the reasons why i may strive for a goal of time vs mileage. hopefully the increased mileage will not cause more damage to my knee. i am ready to go...and now if i can get rid of these lingering cold symptoms. my first foray into the pool should be saturday morning!!!! i do have the TI video(and i am willing to share it with everyone if they need a copy). i am also think that i have found my first race-april 6 down in san diego 1000yd swim/40k bike/10k run.....i know it maybe over my head but i am mentally focused so anything is possible. have a great day i hope that you are doing great....train lots and enjoy some chocolate cake from time to time....

Ooooh ... prophetic words about chocolate cake ... I'm trying to hold back my horses on eating the present I got (pic below).

Well, you know the drill with the knee (after all, it's your knee and you know it best!) ... build slowly, keep tabs on it, ice. If it starts to bother--pull back. Increase walking. Etc.

I'm slowly wading through the posts--you've probably already gotten in the water by now, so congrats, and good for you on working on the TI system!

Actually, your planned race sounds wonderful! No, you're not in over your head, as long as you train smart. Train time if you feel you should; if that approach isn't bringing you close enough to the distance, sloooooooooow down and git 'er done.

Thanks yanti for your inspiration...ok so i finally signed up for the race, and the ironic thing is I think that it is the same event that Hector is doing(April 6 Superseal). I will pm him to see. Finally feeling better, wed night i will be in the water, and running my arse off. it is nice to feel normal again. nice cake yanti.

That's the same race I'm doing, will have to find each other on that day.

alright hector we have our work cut out for us.....i will be on one of those red bikes. i have heard that they are faster. i will in the water tomorrow, and training daily. have fun training, and afterwards we can grab an adult beverage or two.

Were going to get along just fine. You already know where I'll be after the race, in the beer garden Either way we'll figure out where to meet on that day, there's a thread under the California section and we already have a good group attending.

I'm feeling so much better now. I plan to ease back into it again but the swim will have to wait at least another week.   

2008-01-15 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Sounds like that race will be fun!!  Wish we had more up here in the NW but the season starts later due to weather.

It snowed here last night!  Very pretty outside, but I don't have the right shoes to go run in it, so I will be sledding for a while instead.

2008-01-15 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1157295

User image

Master
Fort Worth
Medusa_Ann - 2008-01-15 9:06 AM

Sounds like that race will be fun!!  Wish we had more up here in the NW but the season starts later due to weather.

It snowed here last night!  Very pretty outside, but I don't have the right shoes to go run in it, so I will be sledding for a while instead.

Yeah I remember living in Maryland from 1997 to 2001 and the winters were great, except for the blizards. Now that I've become serious about training and enjoying our sport I wouldn't give up San Diego for nothing due to the almost year round opportunities.

2008-01-15 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1157519

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
HCS5QA - 2008-01-15 10:40 AM

Yeah I remember living in Maryland from 1997 to 2001 and the winters were great, except for the blizards. Now that I've become serious about training and enjoying our sport I wouldn't give up San Diego for nothing due to the almost year round opportunities.

Yeah, warm is good.  We don't really have blizzards, though.  Just a skiff of snow now and again, and tons of rain.  Don't you miss this---->?

2008-01-15 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1157549

User image

Master
Fort Worth
Medusa_Ann - 2008-01-15 10:48 AM
HCS5QA - 2008-01-15 10:40 AM

Yeah, warm is good.  We don't really have blizzards, though.  Just a skiff of snow now and again, and tons of rain.  Don't you miss this---->?

Actually I do miss that but I have Big Bear a few hours away if I really want it.

Why living in San Diego in the winter is perfect:

1. I can ride my quad in the desert one day.

2. I can surf the waves the next day.

3. and be snow skiing on the third day.

Life is good here.

2008-01-15 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Here is awesome to although it would be a little cool. Ski the morning golf the afternoon. Spring is the best can get so many things going on.

Ok back on track!! Ran again today did a dreadmill run, BUT the new treadmill at the gym have tv's so I was able to catch all of yesterday's sports while doing my run. So now I don't have to stay up late to catch them I can go to bed earlier so I can get up and go to the gym with out struggling to get out of bed!!!
2008-01-15 5:50 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
I wish we would get snow here. Like 20 minutes away at my parents they get way more. They are at a higher elevation but they aren't that far away. That is what sucks about being around sea level don't get much snow, here anyways
2008-01-15 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Woohoo! I spent an hour at the gym today. I hurt so good!
2008-01-15 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Congrats that is AWESOME
2008-01-15 10:03 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Hector, it's great to have you getting back in the groove, and Terri, super congrats! An hour! Now just remember to take it easy .

2008-01-16 3:31 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Spinning® Class Tips [the formatting turned out weird, but you'll get it]

Okay, guys. I’m going to go on a rant. I promise not to do this too often, but I went to something that called itself a Spinning class tonight, and when I see a pi$$-poor instructor putting students at risk, it GETS ME STEAMED!

Here’s how to stay safe, happy, and get the most out of indoor cycling.

Before Class

Ø      Call ahead or show up very early to reserve your bike (if in doubt. Most classes are quite popular, especially this time of year).

Ø      Go to class early. Introduce yourself to the instructor. Be sure to specifically mention if you’re a beginner, have special considerations, or recent injuries or illnesses.

Ø      Pick a bike in front. Beginners are least likely to do this, and they’re the ones who need to be closest to the instructor in case they need advice or assistance.

Ø      Bike setup. Ask the instructor for help if you’re fairly new at this.

-         Seat height: This is the most important adjustment. Jack it up just ‘til your hips rock when you pedal. Then put it one notch lower. (Your leg should not be fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke; there should be a slight bend in the knee when the foot is parallel to the floor, when the pedal is down).

-         Seat fore/aft: KOPS (Knee Over Pedal Spindle) when your feet are at 3 and 9 o’clock on the pedals--this isn’t gospel, just a general guideline; the way Spinner® bikes are made, you put more strain on your knees when they are past the spindle.

-         Handlebar height: Start by putting it level with the seat and readjust higher from there, but really, just have ‘em where they are most comfortable.

During Class

-         Go at your own pace. Go at your own pace. Did I say go at your own pace? YOU know where you are at in your training program and fitness, and what your workout plan for the day is.

-         If your instructor remains seated the whole time, find another class/instructor. I don’t trust instructors who do this with the “I’m getting paid to work out” mentality. YOU, the student, and YOUR needs should be the focus, and at the very least once or twice per class, the instructor should be getting off the bike and actually teaching/coaching around the classroom.

-         As a triathlete, you are a road cyclist, not an indoor cycling enthusiast. Do what will most benefit your real cycling skills.

What NOT To Do

The gold standard is: if you wouldn’t do it on a road bike, don’t do it on a Spinner®. Good old-fashioned common sense will tell you the rest. Many of the following are wildly popular in indoor cycling due to unskilled and dull instructors who like endangering their students, and who have to resort to outlandish and downright insane tactics to put on a class (because they don’t know a damned thing about cycling or fitness). I can’t possibly cover the infinite forms of idiocy I’ve seen, but here are the top few.

1. Super-high cadence. On a Spinner®, this is above 110 RPM.

-         It’s useless in training your legs for the road.

-         It’s useless, period—the weight of the flywheel, not the exertion of your legs, is turning the pedals. No fitness benefit.

-         Risk of injury: if clipless, feet easily slip out. In either case, force of flywheel transfers to knee joint—the bike is riding you, not you the bike.

1. Super-low cadence. On a Spinner®, this is below 60 RPM.

-         If you’ve cranked the resistance so high you can’t do 60, there’s too much force on your joints, especially your knees.

1. Up, down, up, down. Also known as jumps, this is lots of rapid getting in and out of the saddle.

-         These are meant to teach good form and smoothness when getting up to pedal and back down, so they have a purpose, and some repeats can be good. However, you don’t pop up and down in the saddle constantly while on the road, and doing a ton of them in a row in class encourages poor form and jerking.

-         Poor form and jerking puts stress on all the joints and increases injury.

-         Encourages erratic pedal strokes and rhythms.

1. Aero position. I realize this might be a really unpopular place to say that, but the truth is that indoor cycling bikes, and Spinner® bikes in particular, are not built for aero. Aero position on a stationary puts a lot of force on the body where it shouldn’t be. It’s like being on a very poorly fit bike.

-         The spine hyperflexes—this puts a lot of tension on the lower back, and this puts leg musculatures in positions where they can’t work optimally.

-         Knee joints are unlikely to track properly (tend to laterally flay in and out).

-         Neck strain.

1. Stretching or calisthenics while on the bike. Do I really need to explain why this is a bad idea? Okay, well, I promised no dumb questions, so actually, please ask.

Props. Using anything other than what you’d use on the road is doubly counterproductive—it detracts from actual cycling practice, and is an inefficient way to use whatever the prop is.

Edited by TriAya 2008-01-16 3:33 AM
2008-01-16 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Thanks for the tips on the spinning classes!  I've been catching one or two a week all winter and I see that my instructors break a lot of the rules.  Lots of jumps, aero, and they don't help people individually at all, which I have always thought was odd.  All other classes I take have the instructor helping 'newbies' do things the right way. 

Luckily most of the class is just pure riding, not high cadence, but a mix of sprints and hills.  I really enjoy it a lot, as it makes that hour fly by.  I do the classes at Gold's Gym and it is specifically called "RPM Cycling" as it does focus on recovery--every other song is a hard one, followed by a slower, recovery song.  I did notice that when I was riding my bike this weekend, I was sore afterwards, even though I'd been spinning all winter, so I think there's a lot to be said for getting out there in the outdoors to ride when it's possible, as using the balance makes it a fuller workout. 

What do you know about how spinning classes translate to cycling fitness?  I've often wondered how an instructor would do on a real bike.

2008-01-16 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1158808

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
TriAya - 2008-01-15 8:03 PM

Hector, it's great to have you getting back in the groove, and Terri, super congrats! An hour! Now just remember to take it easy .

Thanks! It's so hard to get back after an absence, but now that I am back, I looke forward to going. I'm going back tonight to get on that bike again and to swim. I'm slowly adding back time/distance to get me where I'm supposed to be in my training. It was hard to not just skip what I missed and pick up where I'm supposed to be, but I'm reining myself in. I'm also hoping work is going to slow back down so I can *play* more with you peeps

I have been thinking of taking the spinning class at my fitness center once I feel I can stay in the saddle for that length of time; however, after reading your do's/don't's I'm wondering if taking a class is beneficial to triathletes at all?

Edited by MrsUSMC 2008-01-16 10:37 AM
2008-01-16 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Thanks for the tips, Yanti. They come at a perfect time for me. I've been forced to substitute one of my three weekly training rides with the stationary bike at the gym, but it's so mind-numbingly boring that I'm thinking of switching to a spin class instead. I'd already planned on getting there early and sitting in the front row, but it's good to know what else I should be looking out for.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61