BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-03-16 6:58 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

I've been following the nutrition conversations- It's great information for me to have. I'm not at a point yet wheere I need to do anything more than water, but when I get to those longer times, it'll be good info to have.

Yesterday was the first day of my 20 week training program for the Oly. I'm doing the run focused, since I am such a slow runner. Yesterday was the first day i've done a double workout in months. Is it okay that I seperated them by almost 12 hours, or should i really try to find a way to put them closer together?

2009-03-16 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2019494

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-03-15 7:41 PM Thanks for the Infinit options, guys! I do need to give it a try. I played with their website once last year but ended up feeling overwhelmed in terms of how to customize. Plus I didn't have any plans beyond a marathon for the distance future so never pursued it. I agree with you, Kellie, in that most mixes are too sweet for me.

I got overwhelmed also, so I actually called them  and they helped me set one up over the phone and put it in.  Much easier

2009-03-16 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2019945

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-03-16 6:58 AM

I've been following the nutrition conversations- It's great information for me to have. I'm not at a point yet wheere I need to do anything more than water, but when I get to those longer times, it'll be good info to have.

Yesterday was the first day of my 20 week training program for the Oly. I'm doing the run focused, since I am such a slow runner. Yesterday was the first day i've done a double workout in months. Is it okay that I seperated them by almost 12 hours, or should i really try to find a way to put them closer together?

It shouldnt be too big of a deal one way or the other.  I say its best just to get the workouts in when you can, so if that means its not optimally spread apart, that will happen.   Most of the time the double workouts should be workouts that arent going to overload you too much anyways.  One may be less intense, and the other more intense.   So just work it in however it works best for you!   If doing them back to back is a little too much, spread them out if possible

2009-03-16 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2019945

User image

Master
slow turtle - 2009-03-16 6:58 AM

Heidi, for me I just try to get 'em in, no matter how it has to happen. Unless it specifically says it needs to be in a brick format, I don't sweat it if my workouts aren't back-to-back. I would guess that the training plan would specify if you need to do a bike/run brick. Oftentimes I get up early to do one workout, and then if I need to do another it happens later in the day.

I'm so excited for you that you've started your program!! Great going!
2009-03-18 5:47 AM

User image

Expert

I missed my swim workout yesterday, so made it up first thing this morning. It felt weird to be done with a work out and back home before the sun was up.

Has any one done a Zumba class? My oldest is home from college this week, and wants me to go to one with her tonight. I'm curious about it, but hesitant, because I am scheduled to do a 30 minute run.

Can I substitiute the hour clas for a 30 minute run, one time?

2009-03-18 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2024646

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-03-18 5:47 AM

I missed my swim workout yesterday, so made it up first thing this morning. It felt weird to be done with a work out and back home before the sun was up.

Has any one done a Zumba class? My oldest is home from college this week, and wants me to go to one with her tonight. I'm curious about it, but hesitant, because I am scheduled to do a 30 minute run.

Can I substitiute the hour clas for a 30 minute run, one time?

If you can do your run first, that would be the best idea, so that your refreshed for your run, and then you can try the zumba class after.    Ive heard it mentioned a few times now adn people like it, youll have to let us know

2009-03-18 6:55 PM

User image

Expert

I tried the Zumba class tonight. I should say right off the bat, that I've never been big on exercise classes. This one had positives and negatives. The positives were that I got to exercise with my daughter, and we laughed a lot. Okay- we laughed at me and my complete lack of coordination. The music was great. The negatives- it was not even close to the cardio level I'm used to at this point. There was a great deal of lateral movement- (think latin and african dance steps). My knees are very sore now-and not in a good way.

So, I won't be doing it again soon. But, Shayna loved it, so I might do it with her on occasion, when she's home from school. She felt like the purpose of it is for muscle toning,  more than a cardio workout.  I didn't get much of either

2009-03-18 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
I just got back from my trip...didn't mean to worry anyone but I didn't take a computer with me.  I wrote an update in my log.  I have to read the thread to catch up with what all of you are doing but I am a little busy with laundry right now!!
2009-03-18 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2026627

User image

Expert

Bronwyn1968 - 2009-03-18 8:38 PM I just got back from my trip...didn't mean to worry anyone but I didn't take a computer with me.  I wrote an update in my log.  I have to read the thread to catch up with what all of you are doing but I am a little busy with laundry right now!!

Welcome back, Bronwyn! How was the trip?

2009-03-19 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2026627

User image

Master
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-03-18 7:38 PM

I just got back from my trip...didn't mean to worry anyone but I didn't take a computer with me.  I wrote an update in my log.  I have to read the thread to catch up with what all of you are doing but I am a little busy with laundry right now!!

Good to see you back!! I'll read your log and catch up. How is your knee feeling?

Heidi -- good report on the class. It's funny what training does to your perception of a "good workout." Glad you had fun with your daughter -- that's what really counts!!
2009-03-20 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
So how did everyones week turn out?  Mine was a recovery week which was nice!   I also met with a nutritionist to figure out a few things.  Basically Ive had a problem before with my weight spiking and having to do sugar testing, and so on.   It runs HEAVILY on my fathers side.   It started to happen again, but I caught it right away this time and is seems we are reversing it, so that is good!   Stupid genetics     But I feel really good after talking to someone who could help me out with my own personal needs nutrtition wise.  And unfortunately it is not the eat all you want, eat all the carbs you want, type diet you think you would get with working out in double digit hours + every week!  BOOOOOO!   But I can live with it to be in my ideal prime position weight wise for racing season!

2009-03-20 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Another week with my boss cramping my schedule, but I got a few good workouts in.  I am fighting this cold that a lot of people seem to have, but I shouldn't miss much if it doesn't get worse.

It is nice that we are getting some better weather.  I really like training outsideCool

2009-03-20 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2029799

User image

Master
I'm glad you were able to meet with the nutritionist, Kellie. I hope you will feel good with the plans you are working out. It looks like you are right back where you need to be training-wise, so that is awesome! I'm sure your recovery felt like forever when you were doing it but now it's like it never happened!

I've had a really good training week, although today's run was a bigger mental challenge than I bargained for, due to a combination of crappy weather, being tired/sore and Real Life sneaking up on me when I wasn't looking. Feeling better now, having checked in with good friends and good people. I must say, it sucks to be out on a long run, far from home, questioning why the hell you are doing this. Fortunately I rarely (if ever) get that feeling!!

Looking forward to some decompression this weekend!!!

2009-03-20 7:31 PM

User image

Expert

Hi- It was abusy week for me. I missed yesterdays bike ride, so I'm planning to do that tonight after the kids go to bed. My sister was in town from Texas for the week, which made things a bit busy. Plus, my oldest was home on spring break, and I did a 17 hour work day yesterday- which left em know time to train.

Kellie-it sounds like the meeting with the nutritionist went well.

Kyla- sorry to hear you had a rough run. It doesn't seem like that happens to you often.

Greg- I really admire your tenacity to train while traveling for work. I have an incredibly hard time making it happen.

2009-03-21 11:54 AM

User image

Expert

Running Questions:

Why is it that on the days I feel like I'm going really slow, my times end up being faster?

And, at the tail end of my run today, I started getting pain where my knee and shin meet, then the outside of my shin felt numb. I could still run (it wasn't intense pain). But does any one know what might cause it?

2009-03-21 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2031755

User image

Master
slow turtle - 2009-03-21 11:54 AM

Running Questions:

Why is it that on the days I feel like I'm going really slow, my times end up being faster?

And, at the tail end of my run today, I started getting pain where my knee and shin meet, then the outside of my shin felt numb. I could still run (it wasn't intense pain). But does any one know what might cause it?

I don't know much about pain, but anything involving shins makes me question shin splints. Google it for stretching/strengthening options.

And as far as how you feel correlating to how fast you're going... I find that at times there is just no rhyme nor reason to that. Maybe we're more relaxed and get into the groove when we're going faster but our perception is just that it feels slower. What really sucks is to feel like you're working hard and end up going slow. That is NO FUN!! But I bet the overall factor is that you're getting stronger and faster!!

2009-03-23 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2031185

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
slow turtle - 2009-03-20 7:31 PM

Hi- It was abusy week for me. I missed yesterdays bike ride, so I'm planning to do that tonight after the kids go to bed. My sister was in town from Texas for the week, which made things a bit busy. Plus, my oldest was home on spring break, and I did a 17 hour work day yesterday- which left em know time to train.

Kyla- sorry to hear you had a rough run. It doesn't seem like that happens to you often.

Greg- I really admire your tenacity to train while traveling for work. I have an incredibly hard time making it happen.

Thanks, but I don't always do so well.  I really need to join the YMCA so I can find a place to swim when I travel.  Sometimes I do well and then like right now with not feeling so well, getting a lot of pressure from my boss because sales are way down(huh, imagine that!), and increasing my travel to 3 overnights per week takes a toll on me.  I have to remind myself that nothing is more important than your mental and physical health and if you lose that, nothing else matters!  Being part of this mentor group has really helped to keep me going.  I just hope that things are settled down somewhat in 2010 when I make my push for IM. 

2009-03-23 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2035657

User image

Expert
Gregkl - 2009-03-23 8:02 PM
slow turtle - 2009-03-20 7:31 PM

Thanks, but I don't always do so well.  I really need to join the YMCA so I can find a place to swim when I travel.  Sometimes I do well and then like right now with not feeling so well, getting a lot of pressure from my boss because sales are way down(huh, imagine that!), and increasing my travel to 3 overnights per week takes a toll on me.  I have to remind myself that nothing is more important than your mental and physical health and if you lose that, nothing else matters!  Being part of this mentor group has really helped to keep me going.  I just hope that things are settled down somewhat in 2010 when I make my push for IM. 

I think you're absolutely right about taking care of yourself. In general, most companies will always ask for more from their employees.

I am hoping that my travel commitment will be coming to an end soon.

2009-03-24 6:19 AM

User image

Expert

Has any one read "Slow Fat Triathlete"? A friend gave it to me as a gift, and I just started it. It seems like it's about keeping things fun, which I tend to lose sight of sometimes.

What did others think of the book?

2009-03-24 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2036137

User image

Master
slow turtle - 2009-03-24 6:19 AM

Has any one read "Slow Fat Triathlete"? A friend gave it to me as a gift, and I just started it. It seems like it's about keeping things fun, which I tend to lose sight of sometimes.

Haven't read it... but it's always good to try to keep things fun!!
2009-03-25 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
slow turtle - 2009-03-24 4:19 AM

I haven't read it either, but I've heard good things. I used to be pretty good about keeping it fun until I started training with my husband He's a lot more competitive than me and it seems that now everything has become about speed and strength. We probably help balance each other out though, because I have a tendency to settle into a fun, comfortable, not challenging pace in all three sports.  

2009-03-25 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-03-24 6:19 AM

I have not read it either, but Ive heard its pretty good!!!

2009-03-26 8:28 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Thanks for all the inspirations on my site. I have not given up on you guys. Spring break took its tole (sp)? on my workouts. Then track season started in full swing. Between coaching Elementary, Junior High and High School, On average three to four meets a week. It will be insane for about a month and a half. It will calm down after our state meet which is the first saturday in May. I am making a goal of getting in four workouts a week.
2009-03-27 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

So give me the weekly check in guys!  How did everyones week go.  

I am super super antsy for spring and summer to just get here already.  The thought of another cold drizzly run this weekend is making me angry  

2009-03-27 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2043746

User image

Master
kellc09 - 2009-03-27 9:57 AM

So give me the weekly check in guys!  How did everyones week go.  

I am super super antsy for spring and summer to just get here already.  The thought of another cold drizzly run this weekend is making me angry  

I hear ya!! I got to do a long ride yesterday outside in decent temps (35 degrees to start, 50+ to finish). Hubby left town so was unable to do morning swims, and sick kiddo today kept me from my run. As a result, it will be cold and drizzly (if not full-on stormy) for me tomorrow. Feeling good about everything except nutrition. Want/need to call Infinit and get a formula made up for me to test out. I am fine for my long rides but do not feel I put in enough to fuel me on a long run in a race after the long ride!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30