BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-02-04 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4028489

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
hildekq - 2012-02-03 5:49 PM

Go PATS??  WTF Kristen?!!  Go GIANTS... looks like we have some rivalry amongst the MMMers!   My Dad has beena Giants fan forever and I guess it got passed down to me, ever though I really don't follow football all that much.  I do like to watch a good game.  Besides haven't the Patriots won about a zillion Superbowls already?

Hope everyone has a great weekend and a great Superbowl Sunday no matter who you are rooting for!

Haha, Hilde!  I don't really care who wins... I'm conflicted - grew up in NY as a Giants fan but have lived in Boston for 13 years so converted to Pats fan.  So it's really a win/win for me!!  

Your message made me laugh.  Anytime someone includes "WTF?" in their post, I crack up. 

2012-02-04 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

New user
KY

Kristen, I think Hilde is the queen of using "WTF."  However, I still believe her best usage of "WTF" was directly after writing "Sign said pool closed due to diarrhea."  That was the best thing I have read in months!

As an ex upstate New Yorker, go Giants! Cool

2012-02-04 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4029559

User image

Extreme Veteran
erinrockrun - 2012-02-04 2:27 PM

Kristen, I think Hilde is the queen of using "WTF."  However, I still believe her best usage of "WTF" was directly after writing "Sign said pool closed due to diarrhea."  That was the best thing I have read in months!

OK, this shows my naivete, but a few years ago I bought a shirt at an aviation something-or-other that I was quite proud of, because it showcased some prominent female pilots. When I walked into the room wearing it the first time, I couldn't figure out why my husband burst out laughing. It was from an organization called "Women Take Flight," but they just put the initials in big letters across the front of the shirt... Don't know if they're still around; probably had to change the name!

2012-02-04 5:15 PM

User image

Expert

Hi everyone! Lovely to hear about what you're all up to, though WTF is with all the illnesses and injuries?? Oh, I know-- we're all getting them out of the way NOW so we can kick butt during race season, right? Clever of us! Laughing Seriously, I hope everyone who needs to recover does so quickly and effectively so we can all get back out there doing this audacious sport we love!

So sorry I've been AWOL this week-- for the next two weeks my work life is BEYOND crazy (being on an interviewing committee, doing the annual personnel document review, getting first rounds of student papers in...), so I'll check in and update my logs whenever I can. After that I'll be back more regularly, I promise!

Oh, and how's this for cool: my fabulous sister (AKA my Chief Enabler) checked out various bike shops near her over the past couple of days and is likely to get herself a road bike and all the necessary accessories (including a trainer) so she can train at home and alleviate what seem to be recurring running injuries! She's been asking me a ton of questions, so I've managed to enable her this time around. Now all I need to do is get her to swim...Innocent

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend, no matter who's winning or what the weather brings!

Alex

2012-02-04 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4029569

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
tstl - 2012-02-04 5:01 PM
erinrockrun - 2012-02-04 2:27 PM

OK, this shows my naivete, but a few years ago I bought a shirt at an aviation something-or-other that I was quite proud of, because it showcased some prominent female pilots. When I walked into the room wearing it the first time, I couldn't figure out why my husband burst out laughing. It was from an organization called "Women Take Flight," but they just put the initials in big letters across the front of the shirt... Don't know if they're still around; probably had to change the name!

that is hysterical, tammy!

2012-02-06 5:10 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Back from Key West. Lots of bikeriding, walking, and being "pleasantly pleasant" all the time. Body not used to all the different food and drink. It will be a week of detox.

2012-02-06 7:17 AM

User image

New user
KY
Melanie, that sounds like a perfect vacation.  Glad you had fun.  You should post some pics so we can all drip with envy!
2012-02-06 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4031070

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

hoffsquared - 2012-02-06 5:10 AM Back from Key West. Lots of bikeriding, walking, and being "pleasantly pleasant" all the time. Body not used to all the different food and drink. It will be a week of detox.

Ha ha, vacation detox!!  Hope you had a great time!  That first run will feel lovely, I'm sure...

2012-02-06 11:35 AM

User image

Expert

That holiday sounds WONDERFUL, Melanie-- please do post pics so we can all drool in envy!

Hope everyone's fully recovered from whatever Super Bowl shenanigans they might have got up to-- have a great week!

Alex

2012-02-06 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
So I am really not liking being back at work today....lots of stuff going on....wish I was wasting away in Margaritaville still.  Cry
2012-02-06 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4026971

Extreme Veteran

Andrea - sounds good.

I've had a pretty lax training week too - bike and swim (twice each) with only 0.53 walking miles both on the TM. I'll be moving on this week though - the toe cages are getting easier - I've got my foot in 3 times in a row while moving although yesterday's one coming home felt a bit off - like the foot was twisted or something - didn't look straight when I looked at it either but I'll work on it. Swimming is getting faster but I missed my 3rd 250 swim meaning I'm going to skip it and go straight for the 300s and see what happens there.

Jcarmody - go rock that marathon

Janet - of course this week'll be better

Kristen - hope you're feeling better soon.

tstl - love the shirt

alex - busy is good. Yay for sister with the bike

2012-02-07 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran

To all my inspirer's:  Thanks!  I've not had time to reply. 

Just as things seem to be settling a bit...DS seems to have twisted his knee at school yesterday.  The teacher wrote that he was washing his hands and turned to return to whatever they were doing and his face went white and he said that he couldn't move.  She carried him to the nurse's office.  It's a good thing she has 2 small children that she probably has to carry from time to time, so she still has strong arm muscles.  Also, he's pretty light for a first grader.  They iced it, but he wouldn't walk on it so he came home.  Now he's walking around a bit, looking like Quasimodo (probably spelled that wrong).

2012-02-07 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4033222

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Andrea, is he overtrained??  Just kidding!  Wow, he must have twisted something just right, hope you get it figured out!  Poor kid... tell him to take a rest day...
2012-02-07 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
rustymom - 2012-02-07 7:58 AM

To all my inspirer's:  Thanks!  I've not had time to reply. 

Just as things seem to be settling a bit...DS seems to have twisted his knee at school yesterday.  The teacher wrote that he was washing his hands and turned to return to whatever they were doing and his face went white and he said that he couldn't move.  She carried him to the nurse's office.  It's a good thing she has 2 small children that she probably has to carry from time to time, so she still has strong arm muscles.  Also, he's pretty light for a first grader.  They iced it, but he wouldn't walk on it so he came home.  Now he's walking around a bit, looking like Quasimodo (probably spelled that wrong).

Poor guy, hope his knee feels better soon and it's not too serious...

2012-02-08 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Sounds like everyone is having their ups and downs with training. 

I've not been able to 'inspire' anybody for over a week.  Hope to get back to that this evening!

Question:  Has anyone ever done land training in their wetsuit?  Like lying face down on a bench and pretending to do freestyle for 15 minutes -- maybe with very light weights.  My one and only time wearing a wetsuit was in a race last year.  After the swim and bike, my arms and shoulders were SOOOOOOOO tired and painful that I had to stop during the run several times.  Stopping during a run because my upper body couldn't take it!!  Never had that happen before.  I'm thinking that it was partly due to not being used to the wetsuit and the bit of extra work it takes to keep the arms moving.

2012-02-08 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Heys guys!  Just wanted to check in and let you know I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth Laughing - thanks for checking on me hilde!  The last week has been rough.  DH had the flu first and then, of course, passed it on to me.  One of the cats was sick so we had to get him to the vet (bladder infection - he's on meds).  Thankfully DD hasn't caught the flu bug yet and hoping that she won't.  And my DS called last night.  He's making an emergency trip home from college today.  One of his HS friends is not doing well and isn't expected to live much longer - leukemia.  He was in remission when they graduated HS but apparently it's come back.  Nick wants to see him one last time.  So it's been kind of an all around tough week for our family. 

I'll try to get back later to catch up with everyone.
Janet2

2012-02-08 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4036292

User image

Expert
soccermom15 - 2012-02-08 2:08 PM

Heys guys!  Just wanted to check in and let you know I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth Laughing - thanks for checking on me hilde!  The last week has been rough.  DH had the flu first and then, of course, passed it on to me.  One of the cats was sick so we had to get him to the vet (bladder infection - he's on meds).  Thankfully DD hasn't caught the flu bug yet and hoping that she won't.  And my DS called last night.  He's making an emergency trip home from college today.  One of his HS friends is not doing well and isn't expected to live much longer - leukemia.  He was in remission when they graduated HS but apparently it's come back.  Nick wants to see him one last time.  So it's been kind of an all around tough week for our family. 

Janet2

Ouch, Janet! Sounds like one heck of a week-- am sending good thoughts to all of you!

Hope everyone's doing well despite the ups and downs of training, work, and life around this time of year-- hang in there, everyone! We're the MMMers-- we can outlast ANYTHING!

Alex

2012-02-08 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
soccermom15 - 2012-02-08 1:08 PM

Janet2

How sad about your son's friend. He and his family will be in my thoughts.
2012-02-08 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
soccermom15 - 2012-02-08 3:08 PM

Janet2

wow, Janet2...  a tough week indeed.  sorry to hear about your son's friend.  sending good vibes your way, hang in there...

2012-02-08 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4035384

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
hoffsquared - 2012-02-08 8:22 AM

Sounds like everyone is having their ups and downs with training. 

I've not been able to 'inspire' anybody for over a week.  Hope to get back to that this evening!

Question:  Has anyone ever done land training in their wetsuit?  Like lying face down on a bench and pretending to do freestyle for 15 minutes -- maybe with very light weights.  My one and only time wearing a wetsuit was in a race last year.  After the swim and bike, my arms and shoulders were SOOOOOOOO tired and painful that I had to stop during the run several times.  Stopping during a run because my upper body couldn't take it!!  Never had that happen before.  I'm thinking that it was partly due to not being used to the wetsuit and the bit of extra work it takes to keep the arms moving.

I've never done land training in my wetsuit and have never heard of anyone doing that.  Sounds kind of funny!  I just try to get as many open water swims in before race day to get acclimated to my wetsuit.  Are you sure the wetsuit is the right fit?

2012-02-08 10:41 PM

Extreme Veteran

Andrea - hope DS's knee gets better soon.

Janet - on DS's friend but sounds like he's doing the right thing for himself. Hope you , DH and the cat get better soon

Me - I've had practically no energy this week (TTOM) so I've done almost nothing. Going for another gym plan assessment tomorrow to come up with a new one - the woman who originally rang me just told me (rang on a financial matter and then shifted issues once that had been sorted) they actually took my plan out cos it was so bad - I thought it was okish - except for the cardio (TM and bike)  and the fact I didn't know some of the exercises but I'll go in armed with the plans I'm actually looking to follow for tri training and see if they can sort something out to compliment that - I do know I need way more upper body and core strength stuff than was in the plan originally.

2012-02-09 5:27 AM
in reply to: #4037195

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Oh my Janet2, what a horrible week you've had!  Even the cat was sick!!  So sorry to hear about your son's friend, that will hit him hard if he passes, because boys at that age think they are immortal.  I know personally how hard it is for a boy/young man to face a life changing situation.  Glad you are all feeling better....

Melanie, nope never done the planking in the wet suit.... haha, that's what a I pictured when you mentioned laying on a bench!  I think it would be horribly HOT.  My first time out in my wet suit, my shoulders and upper arms were aching, the next time I made sure I really hiked those sleeves up so that there were almost wrinkles in my arm pits and it was much better.  I would be careful using weights in a swimming motion, sounds like a recipe for injury.  I think you'd be better getting into open water and actually swimming in it and building up those muscles.

Suzie, we all go through those weeks of low motivation, luckily the motivation always seems to come back.  I think it's our body's way of telling us to take a break so it can recharge.  Good news on getting the new gym plan!

Hang in there everyone, Spring is around the corner, keep building that base!

2012-02-09 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4037296

User image

Expert
Missouri
hildekq - 2012-02-09 5:27 AM

Oh my Janet2, what a horrible week you've had!  Even the cat was sick!!  So sorry to hear about your son's friend, that will hit him hard if he passes, because boys at that age think they are immortal.  I know personally how hard it is for a boy/young man to face a life changing situation.  Glad you are all feeling better....

This is what worried us the most.  Scott's not expected to live through the weekend and between that and the issues we've had with DD the last couple of months (she's dealing with depression) plus the fact that my FIL has lung cancer - we're just afraid it's going to be too much for him to handle.  He's trying to deal with the stress but he's 21 and he's just not used to it.  Anyway, sorry to get off-topic - it's just been kind of hard on all of us lately. 

So back to training - I re-worked my schedule a little last night due to the time off.  Just kind of backed things up a bit.  I still have plenty of time to get ready for my tri in May so no worries there.  I may not make my goal for my 10k in April, but I think I'll still have a good race. 

Did someone say something about spring being right around the corner?  We seem to be heading in the opposite direction lately - temps keep going down instead of up!  It was originally supposed to be really nice on Saturday with a high around 40, now they're predicting a high of only 24 Surprised.  I think I'm glad I'm only volunteering at the race this weekend and not running it - I'll get to stay nice and warm in the tent Smile.  I'm looking forward to being able to watch some of the races though.  It's a pretty loopy course so the runners will go by a couple of times.  Should be pretty interesting to see.

2012-02-09 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4038205

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
soccermom15 - 2012-02-09 12:52 PM
hildekq - 2012-02-09 5:27 AM

This is what worried us the most.  Scott's not expected to live through the weekend and between that and the issues we've had with DD the last couple of months (she's dealing with depression) plus the fact that my FIL has lung cancer - we're just afraid it's going to be too much for him to handle.  He's trying to deal with the stress but he's 21 and he's just not used to it.  Anyway, sorry to get off-topic - it's just been kind of hard on all of us lately. 

So back to training - I re-worked my schedule a little last night due to the time off.  Just kind of backed things up a bit.  I still have plenty of time to get ready for my tri in May so no worries there.  I may not make my goal for my 10k in April, but I think I'll still have a good race. 

Did someone say something about spring being right around the corner?  We seem to be heading in the opposite direction lately - temps keep going down instead of up!  It was originally supposed to be really nice on Saturday with a high around 40, now they're predicting a high of only 24 Surprised.  I think I'm glad I'm only volunteering at the race this weekend and not running it - I'll get to stay nice and warm in the tent Smile.  I'm looking forward to being able to watch some of the races though.  It's a pretty loopy course so the runners will go by a couple of times.  Should be pretty interesting to see.

I'm so sorry for all that is going on with your family!  I obviously don't know you or your son but if there is a way to empower him to feel like an adult but to know that you are there for him without being too pointed about it.  For me, it was a close family member sitting and simply having a beer with me on the porch while we casually chatted about everything going on.  It made me much more relaxed than my mother (forgive me!) harping on me about whether I was okay or my father encouraging me as he always had.  It wasn't necessary but it did make me feel like an adult member of the family...

Now, I'm not saying you have to have a beer or that a mother or father can't have the conversation but, if he is anything like I was at that age, just keep the conversation casual if you can and don't flood him with your concern (too much), if you can help it.  Let him feel empowered to deal with all of the issues but also let him know that you are always there for him.

Just my $.02 from being on the other end of things at a very similar age...

2012-02-09 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4038709

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Hey everyone, our very own MMMer Peggy is doing her very first marathon on Sunday!!!  She leaves tomorrow to meet her daughter who is flying down to FL from Boston and is running with her... let's give her some true MMMer love and send her some inspires!!!  Personally I think marathon runners are nutso, running 26.2 miles is just plain psycho!  I'm only HALF nutso, ha ha!  But I certainly admire the perseverance and hard work it takes to run a full! 

GO GIT 'EM PEGGY!!!  Can't wait to hear all about it and I am wishing any stupid knee pain to GO AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61