BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-01-23 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Swim workout for the day is over. I've officially now swam more in 2013 than I did in 2012 including races.  I know I keep saying this, but I'm glad I found the Masters team or I'd probably skip a lot of my swim sessions.

30 minute Z2 run after work today. This month is going great!

2013-01-23 8:09 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate-I'm with you! Swimming with a masters group or having a specific plan with detailed workouts is key. When I use to go to the pool to just swim it was too easy to quit when I was having a bad day or rationalize that the easy sets were plenty. Sometimes I fear/dread my current swim sessions but its a great feeling when I complete them. A big plus is that I have seen some progress.

Randee-hope you get a good report.

Stuart-I'm a big believer in active recovery. Particularly after a hard workout. Most of the time my active recovery will be an easy spin on the bike. Can't remember a time when I got off the bike and I wasn't feeling better than when I got on.

Blanda-your retreat sounds like fun. Enjoy yourself!

Bike intervals on tap for tonight....

Edited by slornow 2013-01-23 8:12 AM
2013-01-23 8:49 AM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

"As a matter of practice almost all my rest days are active recovery.  I might ride 10-15 miles real easy or swim 1500 - 2000 yards. "

Just did a 1600 yard workout today. The most I have ever done in a single workout. I can't wait until this is my active recovery!

2013-01-23 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4590801

User image

Calgary, AB
dacuna01 - 2013-01-23 7:49 AM

"As a matter of practice almost all my rest days are active recovery.  I might ride 10-15 miles real easy or swim 1500 - 2000 yards. "

Just did a 1600 yard workout today. The most I have ever done in a single workout. I can't wait until this is my active recovery!

I'm with you all -- my longest ever swim is 1700m.    Same thing goes for the article on recovery runs -- a 9:30/mile pace would be quick for me -- let alone to consider it a recovery -- let alone to consider it the slow end of recovery!

I have a (semi) related question about pace.  I've mentioned before that I've gotten into the habit of evening runs (at least in the winter).  Three times in the last week, I've managed to drag myself out of bed for a morning run.  However -- for some reason, I really struggle to keep the same pace.  What's easy for me in the evening feels like sprinting in the morning.  Is this normal?

(for those curious -- these are all 30 min treadmill runs -- treadmill set to 9.5 kph which is about a 10:00/mile)

Thanks

Scott.

2013-01-23 12:22 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I had a really spectacular swim (for me) this morning. I was able to hit and maintain paces that I haven't been seeing much of, so I am very happy about that.

Then I decided to go ahead and get my run for the day out of the way. I usually don't run so soon after swimming. I always struggle when I do these two types of training one after the other. Add in the fact that it was 10 degrees out, breezy, and most people's sidewalks are covered with snow and ice and my running paces were not what I wanted them to be.

I guess that was the world evening out the balance sheet. I swam fast so I had to run slow

To answer the question about running paces at different times of day...... I know that my perceived effort varies greatly depending on when I do a workout. If I ride or run early in the morning I haven't had my coffee yet, I am relatively calorie deficient from the overnight fast, and I am just not up to speed. Give me two more hours to get going and it is a whole different story. Conversely, I have been doing my swimming at 5 am for so long that it is just 'when I do it.'. Maybe my performance in swimming would be better at 10 am but that is not when it fits in to my schedule.

Don't know if that helps, but know that you are not alone with early morning training struggles.
2013-01-23 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4591187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Hoos - 2013-01-23 9:50 AM

I'm with you all -- my longest ever swim is 1700m.    Same thing goes for the article on recovery runs -- a 9:30/mile pace would be quick for me -- let alone to consider it a recovery -- let alone to consider it the slow end of recovery!

I have a (semi) related question about pace.  I've mentioned before that I've gotten into the habit of evening runs (at least in the winter).  Three times in the last week, I've managed to drag myself out of bed for a morning run.  However -- for some reason, I really struggle to keep the same pace.  What's easy for me in the evening feels like sprinting in the morning.  Is this normal?

(for those curious -- these are all 30 min treadmill runs -- treadmill set to 9.5 kph which is about a 10:00/mile)

Thanks

Scott.

For all of us thier are strengths and weaknesses.  Just so no one feels bad about my doing 2000 yards for a recovery swim, I can't wait until I can do 9:30 race pace for a 5k much less a recovery run.  Since my run time is about 11:30-12:00 min/mile I guess if I had to do a recovery it would be about 15:00! Embarassed

2013-01-23 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4591308

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuartap - 2013-01-23 1:48 PM

Hoos - 2013-01-23 9:50 AM

Thanks

Scott.

For all of us thier are strengths and weaknesses.  Just so no one feels bad about my doing 2000 yards for a recovery swim, I can't wait until I can do 9:30 race pace for a 5k much less a recovery run.  Since my run time is about 11:30-12:00 min/mile I guess if I had to do a recovery it would be about 15:00! Embarassed

Like I said, keeping the world in balance. I can run a 6:00 mile but you can swim 150 yards in the time it takes me to swim 100. That is what makes this sport so maddening, and enticing.
2013-01-23 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4591308

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

So I injured myself this morning when I got up out of my office chair.  I'm not sure what I did, but my back just went out on me. It's very painful to transition from sitting to standing and vice versa. Went to the chiropractor who did an adjustment and told me to ice it for a couple days. On my way to a massage therapist next. So needless to say I'm out of commission for a few days at least. Not happy about it! 

The only thing I did this morning before that was go to swim practice. Swimming would be the last thing I would think to aggravate my back!

2013-01-23 1:48 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

I actually have my faster pace times in the morning. It's usually cooler and I haven't spent the day on my feet. I haven't had my coffee yet but I just can not seem to find a way to have any food (or much beyond sips of water) in my stomach when I run without getting nauseated.

In fact, I'm afraid of this issue when I have to take on longer distances in this sport. I've been experimenting with different liquids, gels, and bars. So far, I can only tolerate plain water (small amounts). Anyone else have this issue?

2013-01-23 1:51 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Nate - Sorry to hear about your back. Take it easy for a few days and come back up slowly.
2013-01-23 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Check this out ... unbelievable ... 

http://blogs.prevention.com/inspired-bites/2013/01/23/are-americas-nutrition-professionals-in-the-pocket-of-big-food/

2013-01-23 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4591426

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
dacuna01 - 2013-01-23 1:48 PM

I actually have my faster pace times in the morning. It's usually cooler and I haven't spent the day on my feet. I haven't had my coffee yet but I just can not seem to find a way to have any food (or much beyond sips of water) in my stomach when I run without getting nauseated.

In fact, I'm afraid of this issue when I have to take on longer distances in this sport. I've been experimenting with different liquids, gels, and bars. So far, I can only tolerate plain water (small amounts). Anyone else have this issue?

my husband has a sensitive stomach - hammer products!  http://www.hammernutrition.com/

for long rides I LIVE for perpetuem!

2013-01-23 2:24 PM

User image

Master

Nate: Sorry to hear about your back! Take good care of yourself till it's all better.

mtnbikerchk: I'm tired too, lol! I'm totally focused on making it through my Xterra race. I need lots of work everywhere, mostly in swim and bike.

Running am vs pm: I never know what I'm gonna get for pace, so I just go with it. I push to an uncomfortable pace when I run, but my tolerance varies according to what I did the day before. I've watched my pace come down over a year and a half now not worrying too much about it.

I can use shot bloks, but GU seem to go right through me. I used it for a half and my stomach was a mess for days. It was so bad I'm afraid to try another.

Training: Last night was ladders with swim team and 6 miles with my run group. 3 miles Indian Running and 3 miles of fartleks on the track. Holy guacamole. I was on the verge of tossing my Clif bar. I'm the slowest runner in this group, so I was hurting trying to hang with them.

Today at lunch a friend and I are going into the hills for a little run and an easy 4 miles tonight. Yay for rest day tomorrow!

2013-01-23 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Nate take care of that back.  If not, the dumbest thnigs can throw it out again.  After having seriously injured my back years and years ago, I threw it out picking up a pencil.  Obviously it wan't the object but the careless way I reached for it.

It was a bit dreary here today but I still managed to do something I have never done before.  I did 15 miles of just hill work on the bike.  Then I decided to run a mile just because. I have never run just because in my whole life.  I am running every other day and today was an off day.  I actually wanted to run, albeit a very short run. 

You guys may make a runner out of me yet.  I may take a year or two, but maybe...

2013-01-23 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Got my workout for the day done: 30 minutes on the trainer followed by a 15-minute brick run. I'm glad this training plan puts an emphasis on bricks; I always seem to get a stitch in my side whenever I run after biking, which tells me I need to do it more since I never get one while just running. Swimming in the morning, bright and early, so it'll be an early night for me. 4:45 am just always seems to come earlier than I'd prefer!
2013-01-23 8:03 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good work group. Tons of nice workouts today. I had a hard bike workout tonight. Not able to hit all of my intervals though. Tried really hard just could not do it. Silver lining...I didn't stroke out or wet myself.

Nate-take it easy with that back.

2013-01-23 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4591426

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
dacuna01 - 2013-01-23 2:48 PM

Training and racing with something in your stomach is something that has to be trained/learned. It will take some time to get used to taking things in on the fly. It won't just happen. You will have to start doing it in your workouts to see what types of things you can tolerate and how much. Start very slow and with very small portions. Different people tolerate very different things. Some people can take in anything and others are much more finicky. Your effort level, and whether you are on the bike or running will greatly affect your caloric consumption. At sprint triathlon effort most people's GI tract will not tolerate much. Not enough blood being shunted to the stomach when you are at that effort level. At IM pace, fluids and calories should be much easier to absorb since you are not so close to your physiologic edge. In long distance triathlon the vast majority of your intake will be on the bike, not the run. Your gut will not handle things nearly as well while running as while cycling. All that bouncing up and down does strange things to the stomach......

I would start with the blandest, most benign things that you can think of and work from there. I love lemon-lime gatorade so that was my first electrolyte/glucose replacement fluid. I then tried other brand's lemon-lime flavor. I went to REI and bought every flavor of gel I could find and tried them all on the bike (the bitter apple almost killed me!). I used to take in primarily water and then take 1-2 gels per hour. Over time I have morphed my nutritional strategy to be nearly 100% fluids with no solids or gels. The last IM I took in four 20 oz bottles of my own concoction on the bike, about 400 calories per bottle. On the run I took in water and coke at every aid station. The only time I ever felt bad was when I grabbed a bottle of Ironman Perform on the bike and sucked down a few ounces. I felt nauseated immediately so I tossed it and just held off until I could pick up the next round of my own stuff.

Pre race I always eat the exact same thing, no matter what the distance; a large bowl of oatmeal with raisins, a banana and 1-2 cups of coffee. I have tested this out and know that it works. I try to get this in at least two hours before the race. Cliff bar about one hour before gun and a bottle of glucose/electrolytes up until pretty close to race time. If I don't have to pee when I am getting in the water I would be worried I like to be well hydrated.

Race nutrition is a whole world unto itself (the fourth or fifth discipline of triathlon). It will take time to get down but it is well worth the effort. Go through the race reports here on BT. When you get to HIM and beyond there is an amazing amount of carnage related to nutrition.

Probably way more information than you wanted.

2013-01-23 9:12 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Jason - I appreciate all the info and an experienced approach towards my problem. Sounds like the answer to this is just like the rest of the Tri universe, slow, gradual improvement on results.
2013-01-23 10:22 PM

User image

New user
It is inspiring to read about all of the great workouts you guys are getting in. I have a lot to learn and work up to.

Got back on my plan this week after being sick.
I was walking today and felt really good so decided to add a little jogging, that was last weeks plan that I missed due to being sick. I walk on a 1/10 mile indoor route so I jogged between walking and I did 4 whole tenths of a mile!
I am actually a bit sore tonight, boy do I have a long way to go.

I am going to arrange some swim lessons for February. I can tell I am wasting a lot of energy thrashing about inefficiently.
2013-01-24 1:42 AM

User image

Master

I rode with a strong MTBer at lunch today and she killed me. I'm exhausted. No run tonight. Hot dang, that was tough. Crashed twice, and my hands hurt from the death grip I had on my bars. This was not a "traipsing through the hills" session. That stuff I'm used to. This was training. She had me doing sprints and laps, and she yelled at me when I slipped out of the clips. I didn't even know I could do that stuff! I cannot wait to lay in fetal position after dinner.

Tomorrow is rest day.

Stuart: Yay for wanting to run even when you don't have to! I love it when I feel good enough about running to toss in an unscheduled run.

2013-01-24 7:18 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Question for the group:  Are you good about taking rest days?  Or do you sneak in a "short run" etc?

I have a rest day scheduled for today and all along I thought - meh, I'll go swim but I'll just take it easy.  Then I looked at the calendar and haven't had a day off in a while and I wasn't feeling great last night so I decided YES I'm taking a day off!

Have a good day!  Wish me luck - off to the Ortho!

2013-01-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4592257

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Blanda - 2013-01-24 2:42 AM

I rode with a strong MTBer at lunch today and she killed me. I'm exhausted. No run tonight. Hot dang, that was tough. Crashed twice, and my hands hurt from the death grip I had on my bars. This was not a "traipsing through the hills" session. That stuff I'm used to. This was training. She had me doing sprints and laps, and she yelled at me when I slipped out of the clips. I didn't even know I could do that stuff! I cannot wait to lay in fetal position after dinner.

Tomorrow is rest day.

Stuart: Yay for wanting to run even when you don't have to! I love it when I feel good enough about running to toss in an unscheduled run.

I'm all for hard training, learning to break through perceived limits, etc.  That's great!  Yelling, not so much...

Enjoy your rest Blanda!

2013-01-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4592379

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
mtnbikerchk - 2013-01-24 8:18 AM

Question for the group:  Are you good about taking rest days?  Or do you sneak in a "short run" etc?

I have a rest day scheduled for today and all along I thought - meh, I'll go swim but I'll just take it easy.  Then I looked at the calendar and haven't had a day off in a while and I wasn't feeling great last night so I decided YES I'm taking a day off!

'Rest' means different things to different people.  When I'm deep into training, a day with an easy swim or a light spin or a short run IS a rest day.  But...if you aren't feeling well then you are probably better off taking the day off entirely.  Enjoy it!

2013-01-24 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
mtnbikerchk - 2013-01-24 5:18 AM

There was an exchange earlier about active recovery on 'rest' days.  The idea is as you posted, take an easy swin (bike or short run) instead of doing nothing.  Personally I have found that better for me than doing nothing.  I still get the body moving but not taxing it at all.

The only time I took a full rest day was the week before my race.  Other than that it was a swim or ride for me.  No run for me is easy enough to qualify yet.

2013-01-24 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I'm pretty happy when my rest day comes around. After reading how important they are, I'm glad to do nothing as my body repairs itself to get faster in the upcoming week. My real problem is wanting to add more rest days to my week for my training days

Update on my back:

Massage Therapist said my psoas was aggrivated when I got up from my desk after my swim workout. Another issue may be that I sit down at a desk all day while I work. The psoas is shortened while I sit (normally it should be elongated) and after years and years of this, the psoas thinks that being short is the normal position to be in. When I went to stand up compounded with the fact that I had done a decently hard swim workout, my psoas said "Oh hell no" and tightened up because it wants to be in that "Sitting" position. This pulled on my pelvis and spine and all sorts of pain happened.

After the massage and some stretching, I feel about 85% better. I made a stand up desk contraption at work to see if that will keep the psoas stretched a bit. 

Hopefully I'll be good to start training again soon!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66