BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
A couple of questions...

1) What's an over/under? (With respect to training - I know what it means in betting...)

2) I'm heading to Disney for 10 days at the end of May - I'll be doing a gazoodle of walking & will bring my running shoes to fit in a run on our off days (we're only taking 2, though). When I set up my HIM plan, I started a week early to leave that week blank. But - what else can I do to help myself not be a total disaster when we get back? Granted, when we get back, I'm still 3mos out from the HIM - but I don't want to spend that week worrying that I'm blowing everything I've worked on so far.

2013-05-22 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
A couple of questions...

1) What's an over/under? (With respect to training - I know what it means in betting...)

2) I'm heading to Disney for 10 days at the end of May - I'll be doing a gazoodle of walking & will bring my running shoes to fit in a run on our off days (we're only taking 2, though). When I set up my HIM plan, I started a week early to leave that week blank. But - what else can I do to help myself not be a total disaster when we get back? Granted, when we get back, I'm still 3mos out from the HIM - but I don't want to spend that week worrying that I'm blowing everything I've worked on so far.
2013-05-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by enders_shadow

A couple of questions...

1. Over/Under. Have a specific metric, for some it's HR or power or pace, first interval is over that and the second is under. For instance when doing run over unders the top of my aerobic zone is right about 140 bmp. So to do over/unders I'd run the first around 147 ish and then the 2nd in the mid to upper 130s. You see it a lot in the pool too. You should get a feel for your "all day" pace. You push the first interval above that pace and then dial back the second interval to a slower, easier pace.

2. I did Disney during race prep last year. It will set you back a few days. If you get a few easy runs in and with the amount of walking it requires I don't think you'll see a huge drop in fitness. I would just double up on what you did the week prior to going to Disney and move on from there.
2013-05-22 11:04 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Have a nutrition plan, execute it, but don't be so tied to it that you can't improvise. There are calorie numbers you NEED to hit, don't be afraid to go over. There are fluid/hydration numbers you NEED to hit, don't be afraid to go over. This of course is within reason because you don't want to shut your gut down, but on a day like Saturday you wouldn't in regards to liquids anyway. Oh and DON'T drink water. It will dilute your salt levels in your bloodstream. Very dangerous. A guy went into seizure about 50 yards from the finish Saturday night because of low blood sodium levels.

Particularly on a hot day you may need to improvise over. If your fueling plan based on a sweat test in 70 degree weather calls for you to drink 32 oz / hour and its 90 on race day, you know you're going to need to drink more to avoid dehydration.

Rule of thumb is that you should pee once on the bike during a HIM and twice on the bike during an IM.
2013-05-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I feel, perhaps incorrectly, that the heavier you are the better off you are generating your speed on the downhills for just the reason IM-Scott states. It's easier for me to generate speed on the downhill and then carry it through to the flats. If a hill goes into a true flat I can maintain the speed for a long time with no HR consequences vs if I try to build the speed otherwise my HR will go up.

2 things --

1. I love the IM Scott

2. I don't like speed as a governing metric on the bike during a race. Speed can be affected by so many things. Essentially you should look to have a constant effort level / HR / watts on the bike and the speed will be what the speed is. It may mean for a larger cyclist that the speed will be slower on an uphill but faster on the down. You just want to make sure that you're not pushing too hard or too little due to thte terrain.
2013-05-22 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Speaking as a triathlete with young children it's part of the reason I haven't made the jump yet. I don't know where I'll fit in 1.5-2X the volume and still keep up with the kids and work.

IM training shouldn't be 1.5 - 2 times the volume of HIM training.

For someone who goes long on the weekends, the week day workouts should not change that much. The only thing that will happen is the weekend long bike and long run iwll get longer but with a well planned training program that addresses limiters and adjustments based on how training is going, you don't need to put in monster days or weeks.

Going into IMTX Texas Scott's longest week was 16 hours -- 2 hours swimming / 9:15 biking / 4:45 running. For most of the 16 weeks before IMTX his build weeks were 13-ish hours and his rest weeks were 9 hours.

2013-05-22 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by kaburns1214
my mom will be around and loves to babysit (something about not having grandchildren of her own).

Can I take you up on that?
2013-05-22 11:21 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by mleech77

Larkin convinced me to give our local Masters class a call. Talked with one of the coaches last night and I head over there tomorrow morning for an eval and further talks with the coach. Decided to give swimming sans snorkel a try at my workout this morning, ugh what a difference. I made it 50m before I needed a break. Granted this was after my 900m easy workout, but still. Something tells me this is gonna be rough.

I will see you there! 3900 for me in the morning.
2013-05-22 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

2. I don't like speed as a governing metric on the bike during a race. Speed can be affected by so many things. Essentially you should look to have a constant effort level / HR / watts on the bike and the speed will be what the speed is. It may mean for a larger cyclist that the speed will be slower on an uphill but faster on the down. You just want to make sure that you're not pushing too hard or too little due to thte terrain.

I perhaps misspoke. I don't think it should be a governor. I saw A LOT of people grinding big gears up the up hills and coasting down the back. I'd prefer to keep my HR static which would be spinning up the up hill and hitting the bigger gears down the back.
2013-05-22 11:26 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by kidtri33

my mom will be around and loves to babysit (something about not having grandchildren of her own).

Can I take you up on that?

Larkin -- you do IMFL in 2014 and my mom will babysit your kids.

IMFL is actually a really easy race logisitcs wise. Its offseason in PCB so there are plenty of really nice condos for fairly cheap prices, everything is right on the white sand beach with pretty blue water. Because most of the accomidations are condos you can pick up basics at the grocery store and dont have to eat out for every meal and best of all its a fast course that plays to my stregnths -- tough swim, windy bike and genreally temps in the 70s.
2013-05-22 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by uhcoog

Scott I know you have said that you will probably stay with HIMs for a bit. Is that partially due to the new baby? The wife and I were discussing an IM over the last few days (due to your awesome inspiration ). Her concern is obviously the work load with a new baby. We are blessed that the 2yr old sleeps very good and always has. I can only hope the new baby does as well. So at this moment it is looking like 2015 for an IM. Not a bad thing, I don't think as it will continue to allow me to build a solid base like you have called out in your report.

Here's the thing. Ironman is a selfish endeavor. It just is. You train 6-7 days a week for 2-7 hours. When you're in it you feel like you have to get every workout in or you're going to FUBAR your race. Parenting and being married is just the opposite of selfish. So you really have to have the buy in of your spouse or significant other. Otherwise you're looking at 6 months of fighting. Cindy and I had our fights and I was TOTALLY honest about the time commitment this would take. 6 mornings a week when the kids woke up I wasn't there. I wasn't there for half a day on the weekends the last 2 or so months. When the kids went to bed and it was "us time" I just wanted to sleep later in the process. If Quinn woke up in the middle of the night I was dead to the world. It is a lot to ask of a spouse when you have young kids that aren't partially/mostly self sufficient.

That said I REALLY want to do IMFL, IMAZ, or IMCOZ in 2014, or IMLP in 2015. Cindy is pushing Vineman for the winery aspect.

Thanks B Scott and T Scott and Kelly for your feedback on this.

The family has been supportive and we have had our fights as well. She knows I want to do it and here feelings are that with the new baby it will be tough for both of us. Like you said need support from her before moving on.

2013-05-22 11:39 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Scott I know you have said that you will probably stay with HIMs for a bit. Is that partially due to the new baby? The wife and I were discussing an IM over the last few days (due to your awesome inspiration ). Her concern is obviously the work load with a new baby. We are blessed that the 2yr old sleeps very good and always has. I can only hope the new baby does as well. So at this moment it is looking like 2015 for an IM. Not a bad thing, I don't think as it will continue to allow me to build a solid base like you have called out in your report.

Here's the thing. Ironman is a selfish endeavor. It just is. You train 6-7 days a week for 2-7 hours. When you're in it you feel like you have to get every workout in or you're going to FUBAR your race. Parenting and being married is just the opposite of selfish. So you really have to have the buy in of your spouse or significant other. Otherwise you're looking at 6 months of fighting. Cindy and I had our fights and I was TOTALLY honest about the time commitment this would take. 6 mornings a week when the kids woke up I wasn't there. I wasn't there for half a day on the weekends the last 2 or so months. When the kids went to bed and it was "us time" I just wanted to sleep later in the process. If Quinn woke up in the middle of the night I was dead to the world. It is a lot to ask of a spouse when you have young kids that aren't partially/mostly self sufficient.

That said I REALLY want to do IMFL, IMAZ, or IMCOZ in 2014, or IMLP in 2015. Cindy is pushing Vineman for the winery aspect.

The family has been supportive and we have had our fights as well. She knows I want to do it and here feelings are that with the new baby it will be tough for both of us. Like you said need support from her before moving on.

Like Kelly said though. It is a lot like HIM training until 2 months out when your long rides start to creep out past the 3 hour mark. I put a lot of pressure on myself in regards to Galveston and Texas this year and it took a toll on me.
2013-05-22 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Like Kelly said though. It is a lot like HIM training until 2 months out when your long rides start to creep out past the 3 hour mark. I put a lot of pressure on myself in regards to Galveston and Texas this year and it took a toll on me.
No that is a lot better than I thought it would be. That makes it a little more doable. The baby will be about a year old at that point and no soccer to worry about. We shall see....
2013-05-22 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Did I just hear you right that you are ready to sign up for another in 2014? Not going short in 2014?
2013-05-22 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Kelly ... since you have done all but Cozumel and those races seems to be on a lot of people's lists, do you have a quick comparison? Which one do you like best and why? Which do you like least? Which is the best race experience/race/etc?
2013-05-22 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by jarvy01

Very nice, Scott. Again, congratulations!!!!!

Why do you think you had stomach problems on the run? Is that from the heat? What kind of bike course is IMTX? Anything in particular that helped you get through those moments of pain when you were riding? Advice for the cycling leg of an IM?

I'm 99% sure my stomach issues were heat related. I'm glad I could eat anything on the run. I talked to people who hadn't eaten since mile 60 of the bike. I keep saying that I won't go back and do that race again because of the heat, but I'm probably lying. LOL

The bike course is pretty flat with a lot of rollers. Nothing so steep that you ever even think about getting out of your saddle. I did once or twice just to change position and reposition my chamois, but it wasn't necessary.

Most of my pain was my feet (you could feel the heat radiating off the road) and my nether regions (chaffing). Just find a spot to go to mentally, or a thought. I had songs running through my head, I was scoping out other people's rigs, and I kept thinking "If I get off this bike and quit Cindy will kill me."

Advice? Ride your race. Those knuckleheads barreling past you in the first 10 miles are either elite or you'll see them at mile 80. Have a nutrition plan, execute it, but don't be so tied to it that you can't improvise. There are calorie numbers you NEED to hit, don't be afraid to go over. There are fluid/hydration numbers you NEED to hit, don't be afraid to go over. This of course is within reason because you don't want to shut your gut down, but on a day like Saturday you wouldn't in regards to liquids anyway. Oh and DON'T drink water. It will dilute your salt levels in your bloodstream. Very dangerous. A guy went into seizure about 50 yards from the finish Saturday night because of low blood sodium levels.

I'm sure I have more thoughts. Saturday is like a big blur that I keep finding little events that come through clearly from time to time and they make me smile.

Oh and I have a couple friends playing the what if game in regards to mistakes they made on race day. DO NOT DO THIS!!! When you finish an Ironman you have put yourself through an endurance test that in the grand scheme of things not that many people are stupid enough to put themselves through and you came out the other side. Yes we make mistakes on race day. I should have pulled my front left pad off on mile 5 instead of mile 50. What if I didn't spend at least 30 minutes on the run in the port a potties? What if I didn't run out of salt tabs? Just don't make the mistake in the next race and you already have a 30-45 minute PR to work with. Almost had to drive to my friend's house last night to shake her.

Thank you so much for all of this insight. I appreciate it!

2013-05-22 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
A friend of mine that I have been training with just finished the Ohio Triple-T Sunday ... she said it was brutally hard, but she loved it. She said the hills were hard and most of the running is on trails.
2013-05-22 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am at this crazy stage where I still have the younger 2 boys who aren't yet independent, and then I have the 2 older kids who have scheduled activities every night. I try to limit extracurricular to 1 sport/1 music lesson/1 academic per kid, but this adds up quickly. The younger boys aren't getting younger, and soon I will be chauffeuring 4 people around all day every day. After this season of soccer, I realize how tough it's going to be to juggle my kids' schedules with Ironman training (and maintain the energy necessary to be an active parent).

Scott's advice is key. It's all about having a supportive spouse. My husband does most of the night wakings in my house. I'm gone on Sunday mornings, and he has his routine with the kids. He makes them pancakes and bacon, and then they all play outside while he mows the lawn. As my rides get longer they will have to be split on trainer and roads because I'll have to start them at 4/4:30. I can't be gone all day on Sunday. It's asking too much of someone when you have 4 kids.

The only fight we've ever had about training was when I threatened to quit triathlon. I think this has happened a number of times and it has always been during periods of extreme stress. He thinks I need to be doing it. He thinks I could be really good at it. He thinks I sacrifice a lot for this sport, and that means I truly love it. It's nice to have a partner who is so confident in me and my abilities. We wrote our own wedding vows and one of the things we wrote was how one of the goals of our marriage was to challenge one another. I think we've accomplished this over the last 8 years.
2013-05-22 12:13 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
IMFL - Florida - November - Ocean swim (can be rough), flat, windy one loop bike, flat two loop run - PCB is a nice, esay venune, theres almost no crowd support on the bike and theres not a lot of crowd support on the run expect at the turn around.

IMAZ - Arizona - November - Swim in a drainage canal, slight incline/decline 3 loop bike, fairly flat 3 loop run - Tempe is a really fun town, there's a decent amount of crowd support because of the three loop nature of the bike and run courses, the swim is cold and murky and not nice, the air is super dry and it get VERY dark at night (I can't comment about how dark it gets at IMFL or IMLP because I either finished in the daylight or right at sunset).

IMLP - New York - July - 2 loop swim in Mirror Lake, 2 loop climb - descend- flat - big climb bike, 2 loop hilly run - Lake Placid is the BEST IM town I have ever been too, the atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, decent amount of support on the bike outside of town and tons of support in town, tons of support on the run, iconic course, GREATEVENT!
2013-05-22 12:36 PM

User image

Expert

Speaking as a triathlete with young children it's part of the reason I haven't made the jump yet. I don't know where I'll fit in 1.5-2X the volume and still keep up with the kids and work.

IM training shouldn't be 1.5 - 2 times the volume of HIM training.

For someone who goes long on the weekends, the week day workouts should not change that much. The only thing that will happen is the weekend long bike and long run iwll get longer but with a well planned training program that addresses limiters and adjustments based on how training is going, you don't need to put in monster days or weeks.

Going into IMTX Texas Scott's longest week was 16 hours -- 2 hours swimming / 9:15 biking / 4:45 running. For most of the 16 weeks before IMTX his build weeks were 13-ish hours and his rest weeks were 9 hours.

Thanks. I think 13 is about my top this year so 1.2X at peak is a bit less.
2013-05-22 12:38 PM

User image

Expert

IMFL - Florida - November - Ocean swim (can be rough), flat, windy one loop bike, flat two loop run - PCB is a nice, esay venune, theres almost no crowd support on the bike and theres not a lot of crowd support on the run expect at the turn around.

IMAZ - Arizona - November - Swim in a drainage canal, slight incline/decline 3 loop bike, fairly flat 3 loop run - Tempe is a really fun town, there's a decent amount of crowd support because of the three loop nature of the bike and run courses, the swim is cold and murky and not nice, the air is super dry and it get VERY dark at night (I can't comment about how dark it gets at IMFL or IMLP because I either finished in the daylight or right at sunset).

IMLP - New York - July - 2 loop swim in Mirror Lake, 2 loop climb - descend- flat - big climb bike, 2 loop hilly run - Lake Placid is the BEST IM town I have ever been too, the atmosphere is absolutely fantastic, decent amount of support on the bike outside of town and tons of support in town, tons of support on the run, iconic course, GREATEVENT!

I'd love to do IMLP because of the proximity to where I live and the reputation as one huge party but the hilly nature of both the run and bike scare me a bit for my first.

2013-05-22 12:44 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by carrie639

Did I just hear you right that you are ready to sign up for another in 2014? Not going short in 2014?

Am I ready? Yes, I'd sign up for 1 or 2 IMs today if I could. Is my family ready for me to do it? Probably not.
2013-05-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair
He thinks I could be really good at it.

He's right.
2013-05-22 12:54 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

I am at this crazy stage where I still have the younger 2 boys who aren't yet independent, and then I have the 2 older kids who have scheduled activities every night. I try to limit extracurricular to 1 sport/1 music lesson/1 academic per kid, but this adds up quickly. The younger boys aren't getting younger, and soon I will be chauffeuring 4 people around all day every day. After this season of soccer, I realize how tough it's going to be to juggle my kids' schedules with Ironman training (and maintain the energy necessary to be an active parent).

Scott's advice is key. It's all about having a supportive spouse. My husband does most of the night wakings in my house. I'm gone on Sunday mornings, and he has his routine with the kids. He makes them pancakes and bacon, and then they all play outside while he mows the lawn. As my rides get longer they will have to be split on trainer and roads because I'll have to start them at 4/4:30. I can't be gone all day on Sunday. It's asking too much of someone when you have 4 kids.

The only fight we've ever had about training was when I threatened to quit triathlon. I think this has happened a number of times and it has always been during periods of extreme stress. He thinks I need to be doing it. He thinks I could be really good at it. He thinks I sacrifice a lot for this sport, and that means I truly love it. It's nice to have a partner who is so confident in me and my abilities. We wrote our own wedding vows and one of the things we wrote was how one of the goals of our marriage was to challenge one another. I think we've accomplished this over the last 8 years.
Jen that is awesome!

We are at a similar stage as well. The older two are basically self sufficient minus having to drive them to everything. I stepped up to coach soccer this season because the head coach was not going to be able to do. That has been a bummer as far as training is concerned but awesome as far as daughter/father time. Before I was able to get almost every run in during that time. Actually, some of the parents do this all the time.

I appreciate this group a lot because it really helps hearing feedback from those with families doing this and a coach(s) who understands that.

2013-05-22 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by everlong

I'd love to do IMLP because of the proximity to where I live and the reputation as one huge party but the hilly nature of both the run and bike scare me a bit for my first.

You shouldn't be scared it.

I think IMLP is a great first time race.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86