BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-26 7:21 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Lansing, Michigan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

25/31  20 mile trainer with a little bit more resistance. I started 5 down from the max and climbed a gear every mile. I ended up completing 4 reps. That last mile of each set was a burner. I am pretty stoked that I'm able to set the trainer at the level I'm at and still push forward at a descent pace.  I capped it off with a little lunge, curl, sit up, calve raise, push up circuit.

1 last week in January. Lets make it a great one everyone.

Thank you for the input on the HIM and Xtera time frames. I have not pulled the trigger yet but I'm leaning in the direction of doing it.

2014-01-26 8:32 PM
in reply to: ervaller

User image

OK I'm back in town. So I did not run at all on vacation but walked a lot. Had to take A LOT of ibuprofen but I made it. Of course my last night I started to run a fever. I sucked it up and drove home. Had a 101 fever and am still running a fever even though it is under 100 now. I am resting and hoping to get back in the pool this week. Calling to make an appointment for my leg this week. Hope everyone else is doing well. I did not go back and read a weeks worth of post sorry if I missed something.

Beer: umm no. maybe some hot tea with honey, lemon juice and 1/2 oz burbon
2014-01-26 9:32 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by b2b14

OK I'm back in town. So I did not run at all on vacation but walked a lot. Had to take A LOT of ibuprofen but I made it. Of course my last night I started to run a fever. I sucked it up and drove home. Had a 101 fever and am still running a fever even though it is under 100 now. I am resting and hoping to get back in the pool this week. Calling to make an appointment for my leg this week. Hope everyone else is doing well. I did not go back and read a weeks worth of post sorry if I missed something.

Beer: umm no. maybe some hot tea with honey, lemon juice and 1/2 oz burbon

Take it from someone who was almost hospitalized and is still recovering...take care of yourself! Rest if your body says to rest!
2014-01-26 9:42 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Ok, I made it the full week at work..barely! Thank gwad I carpool my 140 mile round trip because I slept while others drove. Good news, I finally got some training done..picked up on todays training that called for a 58 minute ride...I did it on the stationary bike. It was a nice day out but not knowing how I would feel I played it safe. Friday at work I shocked my co-workers because I was so gray and pale. Low grade fever and I know the doc told me to go to ER if I had a fever again but I think she meant a high fever not 100. So I figured I am on the mend because I am HUNGRY! I lost over 10lbs and though this was not the best way to lose weight I want to take advantage of the jump start. I am at 158ish. So lunch for the week is packed and I have my plans for training. Honestly, I only rode a little over 15 miles on the stationary bike but I was exhausted afterwards. I came home...ate and then slept. Now its a little after 7 and I feel like its midnight! Good night all!
2014-01-27 10:09 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

21/27

Ran stairs Friday, then ate a heart-clogging hamburger and fries with my kids for son's 19th bday.  Miller lite for reward.

Sat.- no workout.  Training at work consisted of tactical movements through buildings/up-down starirs, carrying ballistic shields.  That IS a bit of a workout.

Sun.- Just simply sat on my butt all day.  Made plans to swim, but pool was closed when i got there.

I DID NOT meet my workout goals; therefor my punishment will be some 'skanky,' local-brewed, IPA or something.  I'll choke it down, but have an American pilz standing by to clean the skunkyness out of my mouth.  lol

Hope this week goes better-Boise is having a weather issue we call an "Inversion".  Cold, foggy, dirty air gets trapped in the valley, while the nearby mountains and higher elevations get warm, sunshine.  The inversion has hung around for about 2 weeks now, and it's killing everyones motivation.  I NEED THE SUN!

2014-01-27 10:22 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
19/31 today. Avoided the warm cr@p beer penalty this morning barely, I was so close to bagging it and going back to sleep this morning. PHew! that was a close one.

2014-01-27 12:17 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Yesterday I went for an 8 mile run, started on the slow side at around a 10:30 pace for the first half then picked it up to a 10:00 pace for the second half. Troublesome foot was not so troublesome during the run, however a little sore today.

This morning I had a surprise workout when I discovered the battery in my truck died so I had to ride my bike to work. A lunch I'm starting my first of the Swim Speed workouts. It looks like the plan calls for 3 workouts a week for 16 weeks. Hopefully I survive the first week and my new goggles don't leak. Once Costco gets their summer inventory I may look into getting the Speedo 3-pack.

2014-01-27 12:27 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
22/31--3200yds in the pool after a truncated ST session (truncated because the machine I use for three lifts was down)

Good luck with the Swim Speed workouts--I mix them in with my BT planned workouts. Whichever workout is longer is the one I do for the day, but I don't skip on SS workouts, just use that workout for the next. It sounds confusing, but really I just keep the next SSW in my bag and compare it to my BT planned workout in the morning. If BT is longer, I do that one. If SSW is longer, I do that one and get a new card when I go home that night.

2014-01-27 12:41 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Any of you have a remedy for getting rid of bothersome saddle sores quickly? Besides just not riding and letting it heal. The rough skin removal is gone now it's just a tad swollen and sore. Went out for 30 today and it's tender. I heard of a few home remedies but wondering if anyone has actually had luck with something.
2014-01-27 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4915725

User image

Did push up challenge today, was weak but I made it. Haven't eaten anything but soup in 3 days so I expected as much. Still no beer for me today
2014-01-27 12:53 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by MOlsen

Yesterday I went for an 8 mile run, started on the slow side at around a 10:30 pace for the first half then picked it up to a 10:00 pace for the second half. Troublesome foot was not so troublesome during the run, however a little sore today.

This morning I had a surprise workout when I discovered the battery in my truck died so I had to ride my bike to work. A lunch I'm starting my first of the Swim Speed workouts. It looks like the plan calls for 3 workouts a week for 16 weeks. Hopefully I survive the first week and my new goggles don't leak. Once Costco gets their summer inventory I may look into getting the Speedo 3-pack.

searched their website just now, and there not available online. Went over to amazon, and they want $40 for the same set of 3. Next year, I'm going to buy 2 packs of them when they're available at Costco again. I always say I'll take better care of them, and never do.

2014-01-27 12:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lansing, Michigan

Originally posted by Burd Any of you have a remedy for getting rid of bothersome saddle sores quickly? Besides just not riding and letting it heal. The rough skin removal is gone now it's just a tad swollen and sore. Went out for 30 today and it's tender. I heard of a few home remedies but wondering if anyone has actually had luck with something.

Butt Paste  This is the best stuff in the world. Its for infant diaper rash but it works awesome. I've used it before long rides and never had an issue

Edited by ervaller 2014-01-27 3:03 PM
2014-01-27 2:23 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Burd

Any of you have a remedy for getting rid of bothersome saddle sores quickly? Besides just not riding and letting it heal. The rough skin removal is gone now it's just a tad swollen and sore. Went out for 30 today and it's tender. I heard of a few home remedies but wondering if anyone has actually had luck with something.

Depends on the saddle sores. For chafing, I like Udderly Smooth - and it's cheap. For infections or pimples or sores caused by clogged pores, I like acne cream with benzyl peroxide.
2014-01-27 4:02 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

And my Monday keeps conspiring against me... The coworker I usually ride with to the gym at lunch wasn't able to go, fortunately I was able to catch a one way ride to the gym but had to ride my bike back. So I cut the planned 2000m swim day to about 1350m to give me time to ride back to office. On my ride back I decided to stop at one of my favorite deli's and get their Monday special (excellent pastrami sandwich) only to find they are no longer open on Mondays! Gah!

2014-01-27 5:02 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
cold and tired this morning, led me to REALLY want to skip that swim workout. I got to the pool and got in 1200 yds in the cold water.

I lost 4 lbs last week! Finally started losing weight. Unfortunately, I didn't drink much beer last week (2 all week) and I feel I must continue this trend to keep losing weight. :/ 20 more pounds and I'll be pleased with my weight again...
2014-01-27 5:04 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

And my Monday keeps conspiring against me... The coworker I usually ride with to the gym at lunch wasn't able to go, fortunately I was able to catch a one way ride to the gym but had to ride my bike back. So I cut the planned 2000m swim day to about 1350m to give me time to ride back to office. On my ride back I decided to stop at one of my favorite deli's and get their Monday special (excellent pastrami sandwich) only to find they are no longer open on Mondays! Gah!

Momma said there'd be days like this... lol. Seems like you got more fitness in that you could have planned for. Get ya an ice cold beer when you get home, I'll make relaxing at the end of this day pretty rewarding.

2014-01-27 5:12 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
WHAT. A. WEEKEND.

Went to Hooters with the family (My aunt and Uncle love this place) and had a years worth of fried pickles, fries with cheese, and hot wings. Then Sunday was spent in Breckenridge looking at ice sculptures. We stopped by 3 breweries and we had frozen yogurt and a pizza. Today I had Chic-Fil-A.

This is worse than I've eaten the last few months combined lol. Anyway I still got the first 2 days of the ToS in so that's good.

I also quit my job today. It's been along time coming and I've planned/saved for this etc. I've got an interview lined up and a list of other jobs I'll apply for tomorrow.

Anywh despite my crazy nutrition failing weekend I've got ToS stage 3 coming up in the next half hour and a swim lesson tonight too. I also need to start the next week of push-up/pull-up. I've got to dig deep deep deep for the motivation today. My body is angry at me.

27/31 and 10/50 of my CO YEAR OF BEER TOUR. I'm on paced to break 100 or finish well past the 50 mark, I should slow down, maybe...
2014-01-27 5:13 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Bradleykd

cold and tired this morning, led me to REALLY want to skip that swim workout. I got to the pool and got in 1200 yds in the cold water. I lost 4 lbs last week! Finally started losing weight. Unfortunately, I didn't drink much beer last week (2 all week) and I feel I must continue this trend to keep losing weight. :/ 20 more pounds and I'll be pleased with my weight again...

Sadly lack of beer and weight loss go hand in hand. From the weight loss aspect I'm looking forward to the super bowl and end of the NFL season, as my beer and bad food intake is always higher on football Sundays.

2014-01-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Originally posted by drfoodlove

21/31--bike, run, core, and yoga this morning...and it isn't even 10am yet. I feel really good about all of my workouts today. I'll probably reward myself with a nice brew during the Pro Bowl this evening. Don't know what it will be though, as I have to go to the store. I went on Friday to get some beer and wine for our party and the weekend. The liquor store card reader was down, so I was limited in my ability to purchase to how much cash I had on hand...no beer, only wine for the party.

Today great bike ride (40k) in 90 minutes, beautiful sunny day with freezing weather -I had lunch here in Madrid with a friend from Chicago, and told I have no clue of what is "freezing weather", this is spring for him.

Way to go!! Great workouts, AND great choice at the liquor store. Next season this group may even change its name!!

Change the name? As I read your post I'm holding an ice cold beer after an 80 minute ride on the trainer fueled in part by a desire for the beer that I now hold. Clearly - the warm weather has clouded your thinking
2014-01-27 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

19/31 today. Avoided the warm cr@p beer penalty this morning barely, I was so close to bagging it and going back to sleep this morning. PHew! that was a close one.

The power of the coors light penalty... It will whisper in your ear, "Kevin... go ahead and go back to sleep. Your bed is nice and warm - just liked me... You know I would taste delicious poured out of a dirty ashtray..." Nice job resisting it's evil wiles!
2014-01-27 7:03 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

[/QUOTE

My vote for a sore butt is Bag Balm. You need to check out the link -
http://www.bagbalm.com/

Did you check out the link? Anyone think it's odd that a product made to sooth the sore udders of cows uses a picture of the hills of vermont in it's marketing??? I was befuddled myself until it hit me - If I biked up all those hills in one day how sore would my a$$ be? Hence the need for Bag Balm.

Enjoy.

2014-01-27 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Did an 80 minute ride on the trainer tonight and I crushed it. Not sure why I felt the need to push it so hard tonight but it had something to do with these three sources of motivation:

1) I didn't get in my PT session today and I told myself if I really pushed it - I could avoid a Coors light penalty
2) My 4.5 year old daughter came down to the basement and brought me down her stuffed raffe and said - Daddy you need to go fast so you can win your race. So cute
3) I have an eclectic taste in music and I just added the 1812 overture to my riding mix. Fantastic music to ride to.

Believe it or not - the music helped but my daughter really got to me.
2014-01-27 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Normally I only get in 1 hour of wrestling practice. Today I was off on Semester break from work, so I got in 2 hrs. Geesh. What a difference an hour makes. I get the privilege of going against the toughest kid in the room. For an hour, I can more than hang. For 2 hours, that was quite a workout. I lost 3.2 lbs.

Hockey tonight. My turn to bring beer. I got a 6 of Triple Ale from New Belgium, and Langunitas double IPA. Both will be new to me. I've had the Langunitas IPA, but never their double, and I'm not a huge fan of New Belgium, but they definitely have a unique flavor. Just something to change the normal Kokanee variety that most of my team brings in.

rest day tomorrow.
2014-01-27 11:11 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Brian W

WHAT. A. WEEKEND.

Went to Hooters with the family (My aunt and Uncle love this place) and had a years worth of fried pickles, fries with cheese, and hot wings. Then Sunday was spent in Breckenridge looking at ice sculptures. We stopped by 3 breweries and we had frozen yogurt and a pizza. Today I had Chic-Fil-A.

This is worse than I've eaten the last few months combined lol. Anyway I still got the first 2 days of the ToS in so that's good.

I also quit my job today. It's been along time coming and I've planned/saved for this etc. I've got an interview lined up and a list of other jobs I'll apply for tomorrow.

Anywh despite my crazy nutrition failing weekend I've got ToS stage 3 coming up in the next half hour and a swim lesson tonight too. I also need to start the next week of push-up/pull-up. I've got to dig deep deep deep for the motivation today. My body is angry at me.

27/31 and 10/50 of my CO YEAR OF BEER TOUR. I'm on paced to break 100 or finish well past the 50 mark, I should slow down, maybe...

Well I did it...sort of. My ipod cut short my SUFFERFEST video with a "video could not load" error. I've been realizing pushups are too tough for my wrist (broken 3 months ago with 2 plates and 8 screws). So I'm putting the push-up challange off but continued the PULL-UP challange. I did get a short 500M swim in after my lesson too. I'll continue doing my rep pushups on my knees.

I've been feeling tired lately and realized I've only had 1 day rest in 22 calendar days. After the TOS I'll be 28/29 days straight. I'll have to have a good week of yoga and a few days rest following the tour. I'm a firm believer that overtraining can hurt more than no training at all.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (113KB - 4 downloads)
2014-01-28 4:41 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Morning BDAASers:

Unless anyone has something pressing they would like to know about - I'd like our Theme of the Week to be the answer to this question:

How do you set goals for the month?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.