BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-05-10 7:12 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Did the rugby workout yesterday and a little ride before. Bit achey today but might try and ride later. Well done everyone on getting your workouts in. 

On a more important note I had TWO IPAS on Friday:

Brooklyn Naranjito Orange Pale Ale and

Bunny Hop is a hazy pale ale that is vegan friendly and gluten free! Our brew team have increased the percentage of oats to enhance the haziness and introduced dry hopping with El Dorado, Centennial and Azacca.

Bunny Hop is a bold beer, which perfectly balances its low abv of 3.5%, pale malts and powerful hops with an IBU 55. 

2020-05-10 8:54 AM
in reply to: #5270036

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Absolute disaster of a trainer ride this morning for me. Scheduled for two hours. I called it after 55’. I could not hold the power goals, not even close. My legs are simply fried. I think I over did it yesterday with the patio...or cumulatively over the week. I was trying so hard to finish the gravel moving yesterday. By the end of the day, I was stumbling I was so tired. Guess that’s a lesson learned (the hard way, as usual!).

Anyway, will finish the gravel moving today. Famous last words. Next up, a new adventure—moving sand!!
2020-05-11 6:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Meant to send this yesterday but never pressed send

First and most importantly - HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

Today I have a rest day and I could use one because I'm just the slightest bit sore after my big week of biking.

I weighed in today and was disappointed to see that I had only lost 1/2 a pound. I've been pretty good eating wise (calories are good, food isn't so great) so I wish I had lost a little more. The important thing is that I'm working out and hope to keep going in the future.

Have a great Sunday!

DQ

Edited by Qua17 2020-05-11 6:29 AM
2020-05-11 6:28 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Absolute disaster of a trainer ride this morning for me. Scheduled for two hours. I called it after 55’. I could not hold the power goals, not even close. My legs are simply fried. I think I over did it yesterday with the patio...or cumulatively over the week. I was trying so hard to finish the gravel moving yesterday. By the end of the day, I was stumbling I was so tired. Guess that’s a lesson learned (the hard way, as usual!).

Anyway, will finish the gravel moving today. Famous last words. Next up, a new adventure—moving sand!!

Sorry you had such a tough ride. Sounds like life caught up with you.
2020-05-11 6:32 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
All right - I had a decent week last week but I'm hoping to keep up the momentum this week with the following goals:

1) I want to do my PT exercises 3 out of the next 4 days

2) I want to ride 3 times (it's a rest week for me)

3) I want to lose more weight. I was going to say that I wanted to lose two pounds but I really just want to keep the momentum going.

If I don't follow through on at least two of the three goals - it's a CLP

Hope everyone has a great week!

DQ
2020-05-11 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sappho96

Did the rugby workout yesterday and a little ride before. Bit achey today but might try and ride later. Well done everyone on getting your workouts in. 

On a more important note I had TWO IPAS on Friday:

Brooklyn Naranjito Orange Pale Ale and

Bunny Hop is a hazy pale ale that is vegan friendly and gluten free! Our brew team have increased the percentage of oats to enhance the haziness and introduced dry hopping with El Dorado, Centennial and Azacca.

Bunny Hop is a bold beer, which perfectly balances its low abv of 3.5%, pale malts and powerful hops with an IBU 55. 

Thanks for the awesome post about beer.

2020-05-11 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Went out for another ride and it was cold (it snowed this morning). The temps were in the mid forties but what really made it cold was the 30 mph wind. The wind really played havoc with my ride - and my speed was really affected. Instead of my usual 11 or 12 mph - I hovered around 10. I couldn't go any faster, which leads me to a question - where can I find a good book or website on the basics of biking. I think I'm pedaling in too low of a gear but I don't know. To try to find some new routes - I took advantage of the free 30 day trial on strava. Anyone else use it? WHat are your thoughts? Hope everyone is having a great weekend! DQ

Hello, Dave.  RE:  basics of cycling...Joe Friel's Cyclist Training Bible. I've also read a couple of other titles from him but that one is the most cycling-focused one (the others are for triathletes, racing while being old , and using a power meter).  RE:  Strava - I like the social-ish aspect of it as you can follow and be followed and people can see your rides, etc.  I mainly use it to look at outdoor rides and look at certain "segments", which are user-defined intervals out on the road.  You then compete for the KOM (King of the Mountain, and there's also QOM, of course) with other athletes.  There's a guy that lives near me that's on Strava and we're constantly one-upping each other on some routes around here.  I plan on getting one back this weekend.    I also use Strava to track my critical power curve, but there are other apps that do it as well so it's nothing special.

2020-05-11 7:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Monday everyone.  Got in a good week with over 90 miles on the trainer plus lots of core work.  I've averaged 90 miles/week for the past six weeks so really getting some good work in.  Yesterday went for a hike and then did some yard work.  And to be clear:

(Mike's Yard Work) < (Gretchen's Yard Work)

Day off today.

2020-05-11 9:45 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Happy Monday everyone.  Got in a good week with over 90 miles on the trainer plus lots of core work.  I've averaged 90 miles/week for the past six weeks so really getting some good work in.  Yesterday went for a hike and then did some yard work.  And to be clear:

Day off today.

HAHA!

Scheduled rest day here, so....already I've cleaned out the basement, cleaned the kitchen, taken the dog to the vet, returned the plate compactor I rented over the weekend, hit my office for a couple of things I need to work from home, picked up a load of sand at the gravel yard, and submitted my spring semester grades. :D

We have a crew coming to work on our basement today (foundation issues--ugh) and I'm going to FINALLY start laying some patio pavers in the yard. Sounds like a restful day, right?
2020-05-11 11:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

I weighed in today and was disappointed to see that I had only lost 1/2 a pound. I've been pretty good eating wise (calories are good, food isn't so great) so I wish I had lost a little more. The important thing is that I'm working out and hope to keep going in the future.

Great job! Remember, muscle weighs more than fat, so weight is not always an indicator of what is happening. And it will definitely start dropping off soon if you keep up the healthy habits. Maybe take some body measurements and look at those each week as well so weight isn't the only data you're collecting.
2020-05-11 11:23 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I'm loving all the activity on here!

Saturday I did my second workout from the new trainer. It was tough! The last round was 12 minute EMOM (every minute on the minute), where I would do 45 seconds of up downs (high plank to low plank over and over), 15 seconds rest, then 45 seconds of jump squats, 15 seconds rest (6 times). It was ouchie!
Followed that with 10 minutes of core and 15 minutes of yoga.
Later on that chilly day, went for a walk to get food (30 minutes each way)

Sunday, went on a long walk with my momma - went up to see my parents since it was mothers day and had been months. I wanted so badly to hug them! I think that's the hardest part for me in all of this.

This morning, roomie and I had a training session with our other trainer. I didn't weigh myself this morning but know I was up there yesterday. Looking forward to the work week that will entail salad and homemade chili.

2020-05-11 4:02 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

@Dave, one main thing I've noticed about getting faster on my bike is that it happens as I ride more. I am sure there are specific workouts, techniques etc but for me just getting the miles in helps. Don't forget as you getting back to it, it will take time to rebuild your speed. 

Keep plugging, and tell me what beers you have had!

2020-05-11 7:20 PM

User image

Expert

@Dave, one main thing I've noticed about getting faster on my bike is that it happens as I ride more. I am sure there are specific workouts, techniques etc but for me just getting the miles in helps. Don't forget as you getting back to it, it will take time to rebuild your speed. 

Thanks Jackie! I really appreciate the support. I know I need to ride more but I've always been slow even when I did my ironman (14.5 mph). I'm going to make it my goal this year to really learn how to ride so I can be a little more efficient. I'm also going to fix my derailer so I can switch between big and little ring (right now - I have to get off my bike to change it from the big to the little (wish my LBS didn't have a two week waiting list). And last but not least, losing some weight will help too.

As for beers - I had a grapefruit shandy called Big Squeeze from Harpoon brewery. I hate Leinenkugel but there is nothing more refreshing than a grapefruit shandy. I know there are those on this site who have made fun of my love for fruit in my beer but this one really hits the spot.
2020-05-11 7:27 PM

User image

Love that everyone is working so hard on keeping up their training!

Gretchen, I need picks of the patio progress! Gretchen I NEED them! <-- landscape geek =)

So, last week I decided to challenge myself to do two workouts a week with my wife for the month of May. My biceps finally stopped being sore from last Wednesday's workout... Thursday was 45:00 on the trainer with :30 intervals. Friday was leg day with my wife. Saturday was my long bike for the week, and Sunday was supposed to be my long run with my wife, but she decided to sleep in for mother's day, so I made her breakfast in bed with the kids instead. This morning I decided to do a 5k, but I messed up and included my warmup, so I stopped early then realized my mistake. Ah well.

My wife posts videos of her workouts on Instagram if you want to check them out. m.g_journey

Got some bad news. I'm being laid off from my job. Technically this Friday is my last day, but they've already cut off my network access, so effectively last Friday was my last. Good news is I've already got a couple of leads on a new job so I'm not too worried yet.
2020-05-11 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

I'm loving all the activity on here!

Saturday I did my second workout from the new trainer. It was tough! The last round was 12 minute EMOM (every minute on the minute), where I would do 45 seconds of up downs (high plank to low plank over and over), 15 seconds rest, then 45 seconds of jump squats, 15 seconds rest (6 times). It was ouchie!
Followed that with 10 minutes of core and 15 minutes of yoga.
Later on that chilly day, went for a walk to get food (30 minutes each way)

Sunday, went on a long walk with my momma - went up to see my parents since it was mothers day and had been months. I wanted so badly to hug them! I think that's the hardest part for me in all of this.

This morning, roomie and I had a training session with our other trainer. I didn't weigh myself this morning but know I was up there yesterday. Looking forward to the work week that will entail salad and homemade chili.

Nicole:

Glad you got to spend some time with your parents. Both my mom and my dad have passed and I miss them very much.

With all your workouts (and TWO trainers) I'm wondering if you really need to worry about eating salad all week. You're killing it!
2020-05-11 7:31 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Originally posted by riles32807

Love that everyone is working so hard on keeping up their training!

Gretchen, I need picks of the patio progress! Gretchen I NEED them! <-- landscape geek =)

So, last week I decided to challenge myself to do two workouts a week with my wife for the month of May. My biceps finally stopped being sore from last Wednesday's workout... Thursday was 45:00 on the trainer with :30 intervals. Friday was leg day with my wife. Saturday was my long bike for the week, and Sunday was supposed to be my long run with my wife, but she decided to sleep in for mother's day, so I made her breakfast in bed with the kids instead. This morning I decided to do a 5k, but I messed up and included my warmup, so I stopped early then realized my mistake. Ah well.

My wife posts videos of her workouts on Instagram if you want to check them out. m.g_journey

Got some bad news. I'm being laid off from my job. Technically this Friday is my last day, but they've already cut off my network access, so effectively last Friday was my last. Good news is I've already got a couple of leads on a new job so I'm not too worried yet.

Sorry about your job. It's great that you have some leads. I will pray you find a new one soon.

2020-05-11 7:33 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Day off today.

HAHA!

Scheduled rest day here, so....already I've cleaned out the basement, cleaned the kitchen, taken the dog to the vet, returned the plate compactor I rented over the weekend, hit my office for a couple of things I need to work from home, picked up a load of sand at the gravel yard, and submitted my spring semester grades. :D

We have a crew coming to work on our basement today (foundation issues--ugh) and I'm going to FINALLY start laying some patio pavers in the yard. Sounds like a restful day, right?

I've said it before and I will say it again - You, Gretchen, are a machine!
2020-05-11 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Today was a big day for me - It was pouring and there was lightening so I finally hooked up my trainer which I had bought more than two years ago and never used. It worked great - but I still hate the trainer! I got in a 45 minute ride while listening to the new Stephen King book. Afterward, I did my PT work so I'm doing a decent job of working on my goals.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
2020-05-12 10:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Thanks Jackie! I really appreciate the support. I know I need to ride more but I've always been slow even when I did my ironman (14.5 mph). I'm going to make it my goal this year to really learn how to ride so I can be a little more efficient. I'm also going to fix my derailer so I can switch between big and little ring (right now - I have to get off my bike to change it from the big to the little (wish my LBS didn't have a two week waiting list). And last but not least, losing some weight will help too.

As for beers - I had a grapefruit shandy called Big Squeeze from Harpoon brewery. I hate Leinenkugel but there is nothing more refreshing than a grapefruit shandy. I know there are those on this site who have made fun of my love for fruit in my beer but this one really hits the spot.

I love all of Leinenkugel's Shandys! They're best enjoyed on a boat on a hot summer day
2020-05-12 10:44 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, you would think I wouldn't need the salad, but my weight has been going up and up! Gotta cover all the bases
And way to go on the trainer ride! I still have a trainer I've never used (it's a roller one so I'm a little scared of it haha). I think I just need to sell it.

Riles, so sorry to hear about your job, but fingers crossed this potential job works out!
2020-05-12 10:45 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a 3 mile run this morning. Gonna do some abs and handstand practice later, hehe. and maybe some yoga.

2020-05-12 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Got in a 3 mile run this morning. Gonna do some abs and handstand practice later, hehe. and maybe some yoga.

When you finally master the handstand - be sure to post it on BT. I'd love to see it!
2020-05-12 5:42 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Riles-sorry to hear about your job.

1:18 trainer ride (again...wtf is with the time, coach?!?), followed by a 30’ brick run. Both went well, so it looks like my rest day worked!

A little backwards progress on the patio today. I realized my gravel base layer had a hump in the middle, so I spent most of the afternoon skimming off gravel to level it out. Moving gravel once sucks. Moving the same gravel again because you weren’t careful and precise, sucks a lot more. Also spent some time on my roof making a minor repair—patio looks great from up there!!
2020-05-12 6:53 PM

User image

Expert

Riles-sorry to hear about your job.

1:18 trainer ride (again...wtf is with the time, coach?!?), followed by a 30’ brick run. Both went well, so it looks like my rest day worked!

A little backwards progress on the patio today. I realized my gravel base layer had a hump in the middle, so I spent most of the afternoon skimming off gravel to level it out. Moving gravel once sucks. Moving the same gravel again because you weren’t careful and precise, sucks a lot more. Also spent some time on my roof making a minor repair—patio looks great from up there!!

Sorry to hear you had to make some changes to your base layer. Sounds like a pain in the a55.

Glad to hear your rest day worked! They can make all the difference in the world.
2020-05-12 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
Today was a walk day for me (it's my rest week) and I managed to squeeze it in between dinner and BT. I had to have something good to report right? I also got in an ab workout session although I think I'm doing a lot of the exercises wrong because my back hurts after I'm done with my session. Luckily I have a telehealth appointment with my PT tomorrow. Hopefully he can get me on the right track.

I took a couple of smll steps towards my goal of completing another century this fall.... I bought Joe Friel's book on Cycling - actually, I got it on Audible so I could listen to it in the car. Hopefully it will help me learn how to ride better because after riding for 11 years I have developed some bad habits.

I also reached out to my former coach (Alan - he used to be in this group and did IMMT with me while he was a member) to see if he could develop some workouts for me to build strength and speed on the bike. My weight makes it nearly impossible for me to run so I've got to find a way to make the most out of my bike.

Day off from work tomorrow + 60 degree temperatures = a ride tomorrow.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 7238 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123