BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-09-08 10:24 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Solid week for me so far...rep work on the treadmill Tuesday, sprints and strength training (big paddles) in the pool yesterday followed by an OLY simulated ride (3 x 22' @ 85% - cracked on the 3rd interval but still finished it out unlike my bailing last week).  Today was a short bike and run session with the run focusing on T pace and walking fast to simulate the race.  Also did three strength training sessions, which will soon drop from the schedule as I taper. 

Still topping 200 on the scales but getting close.  I want to race at 195 so I need to lean up big time during taper.  I typically do the opposite of carbo-loading during taper anyway until the last day or two. 

I'm starting to lay out race strategy.  It's one big out and back swim so the course won't be crowded at all - good for avoiding contact but bad for drafting so I'm going to place myself right in the middle of the pack (it's a TT start) to take advantage of the "mass swim current" that is created.  I also need to start slow to avoid the hyper-ventilating thing that I seem to get.  Bike has a steep uphill start and pretty flat except for a couple of short hills which is good for me.  Hoping to hold about 82% of FTP and surge on the uphills.  I'm going to run walk the 10K because, you know, I haven't actually run that far in like 8 years so I think that's prudent.  LOL  It'll be close to an 8/2 run walk split, walking at the mile markers except the last one. 

Target splits:

Swim:  < 30 minutes
Bike:  < 1:15
Run:  < 1:05
Transitions:  < 5 minutes total

That should finish me in the 2:55 range, solid MOP.  My PR at this distance is 2:38...no way in hell that's happening because I'm sure not throwing down a 50-flat 10K LOL, but I don't think a sub-2:50 is out of the question as a stretch.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Nice week so far, good luck on dropping those last 5lbs. But don't get too hung up on it. Going in properly fueled is far more important than a couple of pounds body(water?)weight

Nice targets for your race, although being such a strong cyclist isn't 1:15 a little soft for you?

We have a similar PB. My one and only Oly was 2:39. That was 10 years ago in December.... oh to be young again.

2022-09-08 10:29 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Swim this morning went well--1650yds, which isn't much, but I got up at 5am and went to master's and I feel like that is an accomplishment after the night I had. I had repeated nightmares about how much luggage I need to take to Egypt to support myself for a nine month trip while training for worlds and MiTi 2023. So far, I normally take two large suitcases, my roller bag as carryon and my backpack. Add a bike to that and then I plan to purchase a trainer as soon as I arrive in Cairo. I'm going to need a car down to Amarna just for my luggage at this rate!

Oly this weekend for me. I've not put as much thought into a race plan as Mike has for his. My current thought is just to enjoy the swim and not panic (the lake is a little gross, so I'm always worried about this race) and then red-line it as far as I can on the bike and fall apart on the run. So--not much different than my normal race plan, just no numbers associated with it! I have no hope of placing in my division--it is a big race with a lot of FAST women from St. Louis metro area. I haven't really been training much, minus the last few days, which is exactly when I should be tapering, and my diet today has consisted of a protein shake with espresso (which makes a passable latte), a coffee flavored protein shake, and coffee. It isn't promising, but I figure if I keep up the caffeine consumption, red-lining will be easier!

You just need to throw in a red bull, and your balanced diet is complete... all the forms of caffeine. (I am also a fan of too many coffees and espresso/mocha shakes... so no judgement here. Coffee, the breakfast of champions)

When I travel for work I bring a pair of shoes, and 1 set of running kit. But I travel for a few days at most. So I'm no help for your logistical nightmare. You can get quite a bit of gear into your bike bag tho, so that could be a blessing in disguise.

Good luck for your Oly on the weekend. As a new national champion, you have a target on your back. Hope all goes well.
2022-09-08 10:41 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Ok, but not perfect first half of week 1 of 26 for my 70.3 training.

0 Swims
2 zwift rides, 1 easy, 1 with some FTP intervals (which sucked. It's been too long since I've done anything like that)
3 morning runs. All short and easy, but slowly ramping things up

I've got 2 more zwift rides planned, 1 tonight, 1 at some point on the weekend. And a long run (90 minutes or so) still to go. Should be up around 5 hours for the week.

I'm also off to the race track tomorrow to watch the Aussie V8 super cars (This part of the worlds NASCAR) When they first came to NZ, 20 something years ago my Dad, late Grandpa and I used to go. Now they're shutting the track down at the end of summer so Dad and I felt we needed to head out and watch at least 1 day before it's all gone. So Saturday's going to be a long day, a few beersies, and not much exercise. It's all about balance right?

Have a good weekend BDAS'ers
2022-09-09 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  good luck this weekend with your (yawn...) Olympic distance race

@Andrew:  nice work on week 1; the first few weeks are all about getting the frequency in and nailing down a schedule anyway, and yeah the first couple of hard efforts are brutal when you haven't done them in a while

@Nathalie:  you must be bored out of your skull with no races; maybe you can play some more golf before it gets too cold

@Nicole:  I blew off Masters this morning and swam solo at the Y; glad I didn't go all the way to the Merritt to find out I left my swim bag in the closet because I had cleaned out my car

Swim and either a bike or run today, swim and the opposite tomorrow.  Had a crappy night's sleep so motivation is bleh today.

Happy Purple Friday everyone!!! 

Baltimore Ravens Logo, symbol, meaning, history, PNG

2022-09-09 8:50 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Thanks for the translation, Mike! We end up bringing out chairs but still call it stooping. Feeling tired today, had a late night at axes, so taking it easy. Gonna do some yoga at some point and possibly ride after work

I think they should add that to triathlon in the transitions, sort of like biathlon in XC skiing (which IMO is the most badazz sport).  Swimming with axes might be tough so I'll have to give this one some thought...

The obvious answer is throwing the axes while riding the bike...duh!

Agreed!
2022-09-09 9:08 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good morning all!
Ended up getting a 30 minute ride in yesterday evening, felt really strong. 9 miles total.

Went to masters this morning (Mike, no worries! We did a lot of IM before a nice set of 26 x 50 fs). Felt pretty good there as well! Got in about 2600yds.

Reasons why I avoid talking to coach when I can: Today he asked me how my MRS degree is going. He asks me this all the time. What he means is, how am I doing finding a husband. I usually just don't respond, but today I told him it's offensive, as though my only goal in life should be to find a man (if you haven't figured out by now, I'm extremely independent and put none of my self worth into validation from a man). He said "if you were a guy, you'd take it as just busting your chops." Well, I'm not a guy, and I'm guessing he's never asked a guy how his marriage degree is coming along...
Vent over

Hoping to get a run or bike in today, then a run tomorrow morning (400 repeats again...8 of them!) followed by masters again.

2022-09-09 10:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Reasons why I avoid talking to coach when I can: Today he asked me how my MRS degree is going. He asks me this all the time. What he means is, how am I doing finding a husband. I usually just don't respond, but today I told him it's offensive, as though my only goal in life should be to find a man (if you haven't figured out by now, I'm extremely independent and put none of my self worth into validation from a man). He said "if you were a guy, you'd take it as just busting your chops." Well, I'm not a guy, and I'm guessing he's never asked a guy how his marriage degree is coming along...
Vent over

Sounds like a nice guy. Why does he care so much about you finding a husband? Would that make you a better swimmer?

2022-09-09 10:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nathalie:  you must be bored out of your skull with no races; maybe you can play some more golf before it gets too cold

Funny you should say that. Just came back from a round, our annual tournament with my work. Played terrible.

2022-09-09 11:59 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Good morning all!
Ended up getting a 30 minute ride in yesterday evening, felt really strong. 9 miles total.

Went to masters this morning (Mike, no worries! We did a lot of IM before a nice set of 26 x 50 fs). Felt pretty good there as well! Got in about 2600yds.

Vent over

Hoping to get a run or bike in today, then a run tomorrow morning (400 repeats again...8 of them!) followed by masters again.

Nicole, I am outraged on your behalf. This is so asinine and absolutely uncalled for. Does he do this with other women, or just you (not that it makes it any less offensive if it is only you)? To be honest, if he were my coach, I'd be looking into ways to report him for sexual harassment. Surely USMS or whatever entity operates the pool your sessions are held at have policies to prevent this type of behavior. Good coach or not, he is wildly inappropriate, creates a hostile environment (no one should be crying while swimming due to coach's behavior), and dismissive of your feelings.
2022-09-09 12:01 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

@Gretchen:  good luck this weekend with your (yawn...) Olympic distance race

Ha ha! (but thanks!) I had a moment of panic last night when I couldn't find my registration email and started to question whether I'd actually signed up for this race. I did...

Took it a bit easy today and only ran about 40' of Z2, skipping the scheduled intervals. Don't want to blast my legs before Sunday.

Football is back!!! But, it should still be noted I do not in any way condone cheering for the Ravens. :D
2022-09-09 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Good morning all! Ended up getting a 30 minute ride in yesterday evening, felt really strong. 9 miles total. Went to masters this morning (Mike, no worries! We did a lot of IM before a nice set of 26 x 50 fs). Felt pretty good there as well! Got in about 2600yds. Reasons why I avoid talking to coach when I can: Today he asked me how my MRS degree is going. He asks me this all the time. What he means is, how am I doing finding a husband. I usually just don't respond, but today I told him it's offensive, as though my only goal in life should be to find a man (if you haven't figured out by now, I'm extremely independent and put none of my self worth into validation from a man). He said "if you were a guy, you'd take it as just busting your chops." Well, I'm not a guy, and I'm guessing he's never asked a guy how his marriage degree is coming along... Vent over Hoping to get a run or bike in today, then a run tomorrow morning (400 repeats again...8 of them!) followed by masters again.
Nicole, I am outraged on your behalf. This is so asinine and absolutely uncalled for. Does he do this with other women, or just you (not that it makes it any less offensive if it is only you)? To be honest, if he were my coach, I'd be looking into ways to report him for sexual harassment. Surely USMS or whatever entity operates the pool your sessions are held at have policies to prevent this type of behavior. Good coach or not, he is wildly inappropriate, creates a hostile environment (no one should be crying while swimming due to coach's behavior), and dismissive of your feelings.

Not that you need my help, Nicole, but I'd have been livid if I were there.  Sorry you're dealing with that - it's inexcusable.

2022-09-09 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Rescued my training day with a short bike warm-up then a 50-minute run.  Coach Mike wanted Tri Mike to do an indoor over-under session on the bike, but Tri Mike looked outside at the beautiful weather, really didn't feel like suffering on the bike, and gave Coach Mike the finger and ran outside.  Tri Mike will likely pay for that on the bike tomorrow. 

2022-09-10 3:26 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Funny you should say that. Just came back from a round, our annual tournament with my work. Played terrible.

So bad in fact that I ”won” a golf lesson for scoring the worst score. LOL

Good luck today Gretchen. Have a nice weekend all!
2022-09-10 6:21 PM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks Nathalie!

Drove to the race today and just checked into the hotel. Drove the bike course after arriving and had to talk myself out of upping to the HIM. It looks flat and fast and I wanna ride it twice! Buuuuuttttt…before you all enable the crazy…I want to get a season with a triathlon cycle (sprint, oly, HIM & IM in one season). I don’t know if that is a thing, but I’m making it a thing. All there is to do now is wait for morning. Race plan—go absolutely as fast as I possibly can in that moment. I feel like it is either gonna be really fun, or really ugly!
2022-09-10 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Thanks Nathalie! Drove to the race today and just checked into the hotel. Drove the bike course after arriving and had to talk myself out of upping to the HIM. It looks flat and fast and I wanna ride it twice! Buuuuuttttt…before you all enable the crazy…I want to get a season with a triathlon cycle (sprint, oly, HIM & IM in one season). I don’t know if that is a thing, but I’m making it a thing. All there is to do now is wait for morning. Race plan—go absolutely as fast as I possibly can in that moment. I feel like it is either gonna be really fun, or really ugly!

I love that!  The Triathlon Cycle.  

Well, I'll get the single and double part this year.  

Bring down the hammer tomorrow and flame out spectacularly!!  

2022-09-10 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I went to Masters this morning and there was no one there (?) so I went to plan B and hit the Y with a good swim and then rode with my daughter for a while then hammered about 15 miles at Oly pace.  Really solid day.  I'm sure Nicole will tell me why no one was there LOL.  

2022-09-11 2:10 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I don’t know if that is a thing, but I’m making it a thing.

It is now!
2022-09-11 3:58 PM
in reply to: #5282700

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
More later, but I killed the Oly and smashed a PR (no placing though—lots of fast women in my AG), even with a mechanical on the bike.
2022-09-11 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by nicole14e Good morning all! Ended up getting a 30 minute ride in yesterday evening, felt really strong. 9 miles total. Went to masters this morning (Mike, no worries! We did a lot of IM before a nice set of 26 x 50 fs). Felt pretty good there as well! Got in about 2600yds. Reasons why I avoid talking to coach when I can: Today he asked me how my MRS degree is going. He asks me this all the time. What he means is, how am I doing finding a husband. I usually just don't respond, but today I told him it's offensive, as though my only goal in life should be to find a man (if you haven't figured out by now, I'm extremely independent and put none of my self worth into validation from a man). He said "if you were a guy, you'd take it as just busting your chops." Well, I'm not a guy, and I'm guessing he's never asked a guy how his marriage degree is coming along... Vent over Hoping to get a run or bike in today, then a run tomorrow morning (400 repeats again...8 of them!) followed by masters again.

Not that you need my help, Nicole, but I'd have been livid if I were there.  Sorry you're dealing with that - it's inexcusable.

Your "coach" sounds like quite the tool. If I were you I would be looking for a different masters group to swim with. Life is too short to be spending time with someone who is suck a d1ck you need to avoid speaking to. Report him to the pool/swimming authorities if you want, but go somewhere you'll actually enjoy it.

Sorry you have to deal with this crap.
2022-09-11 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

More later, but I killed the Oly and smashed a PR (no placing though—lots of fast women in my AG), even with a mechanical on the bike.

Great job on getting a PR!

Looking forward to hearing more about it.
2022-09-11 7:17 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Life somewhat got in the way over the weekend. A long day watching race cars on Saturday, so no evening ride then. Followed by a 60 minute run, rather than 90 so I could be done about 6:45am, in time to feed the midgets and give Mrs Bullfrog a bit of a sleep in.

Ended up with a slight cutback week.
3 Bikes, 2 hours
4 runs, 2 hours

2022-09-11 8:28 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I went to Masters this morning and there was no one there (?) so I went to plan B and hit the Y with a good swim and then rode with my daughter for a while then hammered about 15 miles at Oly pace.  Really solid day.  I'm sure Nicole will tell me why no one was there LOL.  

They were outside! They're outside Saturdays as long as the outdoor pool is open (7:30-9:30), so this or next week I think are the last week they are out there, then they're back inside from 7-9am.
2022-09-11 8:41 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks all for your support on the coach thing. Sometimes I feel like I'm being too sensitive, but felt good about speaking up this time. Hopefully that was enough to get him to stop asking that misogynistic question.

Overall I really love the team. I love the other coach and all the people I swim with, and the workouts are typically very good. The people make it better (and they also recognize that he's an ). I've debated sending him something in writing letting him know that I'm very serious about this, so if he were to say it again I would lodge a formal complaint. I just felt like I had to be clear with him that I did not appreciate the comment and give him the opportunity to make the right decision.

2022-09-11 8:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, I can't wait to hear about your Oly! So glad it went well!

I did not make it to practice Saturday. Planning on going tomorrow evening instead. I was feeling sore and decided to take a rest day. Ran 6.5 miles this afternoon. My longest run in a very long time, and it felt great. It was raining a little in the beginning...spitting really, so not horrible, and by the end it had stopped.
2022-09-12 12:28 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Yes! Well done! Looking forward to the details!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43