Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-05-02 8:12 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Early morning for me--4am start to get in a 1:10 tempo run (4x6' Z3) and then 1:00 Z2 ride immediately after before heading to the administrative he11 known as an Egyptian ministry.

My visa expires today, so I had to get it renewed. Of course, we waited until the last day to do it (at my sponsoring agency's request). What I didn't realize was that my phone sim was going to be deactivated this morning (they are tied to visas for foreigners--one of many insidious ways Egypt tracks foreigners and tries to control their movements within the country). So...five hours sitting in a the ministry of passports offices with 5000 other angry foreigners waiting to get my visa renewed, followed then my the fun of visiting the Vodafone store to get my sim turned back on, which they wouldn't do because I don't have the physical residency card yet (it takes four additional days for the ministry to process the paperwork and give you your card--but only after you take your passport back and leave it there all day, and then come back for a third time to pick it and the card up--a system built to frustrate people). Fortunately, the guy at Voda took a bit of pity on me and extended my sim validity for a week based on the fact that I had the receipt that showed I'd paid for the visa extension and they had already scribbled in my passport the new expiration date for my visa.

sounds like a fun morning....

did you take this opportunity to do some strength and mobility excercices while you were waiting?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Perhaps if there had been space to move, but packed in like sardines...no personal space to even think about anything like that! Would have been a great multi-tasking activity though!

2023-05-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Y'all...there is a two day multisport festival on the Red Sea in Egypt at the end of the month. Three races available--Oly and super sprint on Friday, Sprint on Saturday.

I am seconds from pulling the trigger on all three and booking myself into the hotel, but just as I am getting ready to do so, a work issue has arisen and now I am not sure it will be possible. GAAAAA!!!!
2023-05-02 10:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Y'all...there is a two day multisport festival on the Red Sea in Egypt at the end of the month. Three races available--Oly and super sprint on Friday, Sprint on Saturday.

I am seconds from pulling the trigger on all three and booking myself into the hotel, but just as I am getting ready to do so, a work issue has arisen and now I am not sure it will be possible. GAAAAA!!!!

I thought you were up late but I just googled what time is it in Cairo and you're only an hour ahead of us.

Anyway, Can the work issue be solved before then or will it survive if you are away for the weekend? do you have to work at weekends?

Or maybe just do the SP + Oly or just the sprint?

2023-05-02 3:16 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, I hope it works out and you can still do the event! Would be a great workout, and you always come out with good stories

Mike, glad you got a good treadmill run in. Back is feeling better?

You all had some really solid months! I really need to track the way you guys do so I can see the volume. My Garmin doesn't really give me a good report.

I took Thursday off, and went swimming Friday morning. Got in a solid 2500, including a bunch of IM (which is my favorite), and then freestyle 50s (if you know me, you know I don't like doing much over 100 yds, so love me some 50s).
I had an axe throwing tournament this weekend and it rained constantly, so I didn't have anywhere to get in a workout. Got in a short run this morning and plan on going hard the next 2 weeks. Only about 1 month until my tri!
2023-05-02 7:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Early morning for me--4am start to get in a 1:10 tempo run (4x6' Z3) and then 1:00 Z2 ride immediately after before heading to the administrative he11 known as an Egyptian ministry.

My visa expires today, so I had to get it renewed. Of course, we waited until the last day to do it (at my sponsoring agency's request). What I didn't realize was that my phone sim was going to be deactivated this morning (they are tied to visas for foreigners--one of many insidious ways Egypt tracks foreigners and tries to control their movements within the country). So...five hours sitting in a the ministry of passports offices with 5000 other angry foreigners waiting to get my visa renewed, followed then my the fun of visiting the Vodafone store to get my sim turned back on, which they wouldn't do because I don't have the physical residency card yet (it takes four additional days for the ministry to process the paperwork and give you your card--but only after you take your passport back and leave it there all day, and then come back for a third time to pick it and the card up--a system built to frustrate people). Fortunately, the guy at Voda took a bit of pity on me and extended my sim validity for a week based on the fact that I had the receipt that showed I'd paid for the visa extension and they had already scribbled in my passport the new expiration date for my visa.

did you take this opportunity to do some strength and mobility excercices while you were waiting?

They already think Gretchen is some crazy foreigner. Squats and pushups in the immigration departments waiting room might get her deported
2023-05-02 7:49 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nathalie. If you feel you could go run another half marathon today, does that mean you didn't push hard enough? Like Mike said on your race report, so close to sub 2 hours... that goal is just sitting there, waiting to be taken.

@Gretchen. Good effort starting at 4am to get it all in. The commitment to the commitment continues to inspire.

I've started the week with a 60 minute interval ride on zwift Monday 10x1' Z5 with 2' rests. And an easy 45min Z2 jog on the treadmill Tuesday. Got a sweet spot ride planned for tonight.

Keep up the good work team.

2023-05-02 11:58 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
75’ Z1 ride at 4:30, followed by a 2000yd swim at 6. Both were meh, but I had to get them in this morning. Today is going to be a barn burner at work and it is my best friend’s birthday…and we happen to be on the same continent for the first time in six years. Celebrations are required tonight!
2023-05-03 12:21 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Nathalie. If you feel you could go run another half marathon today, does that mean you didn't push hard enough? Like Mike said on your race report, so close to sub 2 hours... that goal is just sitting there, waiting to be taken.

Yes, it does mean that. It was the first time, I wanted to take my time and enjoy it and not think about time.

I don’t think 9 minutes is close to sub 2 hours actually, but I am pretty sure I can do better.

2023-05-03 1:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

We laugh, but mental illness is one of the things that can get you kicked out of Egypt (or at least your visa not renewed). They seem to find the idea of such a thing quite offensive and there is almost no mental health system here in Egypt (although it is getting better recently). I have to be on my best behavior when I go to the government offices!

They already think Gretchen is some crazy foreigner. Squats and pushups in the immigration departments waiting room might get her deported
2023-05-04 2:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2250 yds in the pool this morning with all the floor based strength training exercises done beforehand at my apartment. I'll do all the others throughout the day. There's just something about laying on a tile floor in the dustiest city in the world (I have no data to back this up, but it is bad here!) in your work clothes--no bueno.
2023-05-04 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good start to the week for me...VO2 max intervals on the bike and a short run on Tuesday, mix of stuff on the bike yesterday after yoga class was cancelled, then spin bike this morning.  All three days had some sort of strength or core work.  2500 in the pool tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

2023-05-05 8:47 AM
in reply to: #5285308

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30’ Z1 run this morning

90’ Z2 ride later in the afternoon.

Both were boring and done.
2023-05-05 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  what's a Z1 run?  Isn't that impossible?

2023-05-05 11:42 AM
in reply to: #5285319

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
It is S.L.O.W. for sure!! But not impossible.
2023-05-07 2:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Saturday morning started with what was supposed to be a 2 hr ride with 2x30' Z4 and 10X1' Z5 intervals. I made it through the warm up and about 10' into the first Z4 interval and my rear tired went flat (on the trainer!). So, I had to bag that workout. I did not have time to change the tire and then finish the ride before I had to be at my conference. So, I threw on my running gear and went out for a 90' Z2 run, which was scheduled for Sunday. I figured I could change the tired after the conference and do the ride Sunday morning, after my scheduled swim. Best laid plans of mice and men though. The conference totally wiped me out--mentally and physically, so I didn't change the tired last night.

I'm thinking today will be an unscheduled rest day. I'm exhausted from the stress of planning the conference, prepping my presentation, and then 10 hours of intellectual engagement yesterday. I'm dragging butt. Plus, I forgot that I had to go to the Ministry of Passports twice today to get my visa renewed. That kind of activity in Cairo just saps your energy (and sometimes will to continue). C'est la vie...
2023-05-07 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Enjoy the rest day (although 2 visits to the ministry of passports doesn’t sound like rest).

Talking of being exhausted from other things, just got back from a family reunion in France.

Those people can eat and drink, I had almost forgotten.

I didn’t drink much, damp 2023 is still going well, but I was not so careful with food. Lunch started at 1pm and finished around 4:30 and 4 hours later it was dinner time!
Must have eaten about 4000 calories in one day, not even exaggerating.

Oh well, back on track tomorrow (today is travelling day). I had fun, it was great seing aunties and cousins I hadn’t met in 10 years or so.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-05-08 2:34 AM

2023-05-08 5:41 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
3300yds (I.e., two miles) in the pool this morning. Not ideal, but ended up swimming two workouts back to back to get them in this week. Later will be some rolling around on the ground in the name of core strength.
2023-05-09 1:59 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
started the morning off with 45' interval run (4x2.5' in either Z4 or Z5...depends where you read in the workout...that's annoying to me). I compromised and did it basically at high Z4/lowZ5 based on pace. HR was a complete disaster again--no rise at all during the second interval. No idea what is going on there.

Later today, test that new bike tire with a 78' interval ride. Fingers crossed it holds out (for the next 2 months too!).
2023-05-09 11:27 PM
in reply to: #5285336

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
75’ Z2 ride this morning, followed by 1750yds in the pool. Ride was meh…swim was good. Now off to another day of Ki in’ the dream.
2023-05-10 4:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Still going strong Gretchen! where is everybody else though?

Great start to the week for me, first brick of the season on Monday (60 +10 min) and a nice strength session yesterday. Short intervals tonight with my running group.

foodwise, I was worried that the excesses of the weekend would be tough to recover from but weight has not changed and I don't feel the need to stuff my face so all is good.

2023-05-10 5:39 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Great start to the week for me, first brick of the season on Monday (60 +10 min) and a nice strength session yesterday. Short intervals tonight with my running group.

foodwise, I was worried that the excesses of the weekend would be tough to recover from but weight has not changed and I don't feel the need to stuff my face so all is good.

I don't know! I was beginning to wonder if y'all went off and formed a facebook group without me! :P

Great job on the brick--they are tricky little beasts to work into the regular schedule, but so important to learn how to run off legs that want to turn in circles. I always think the first one of the season is going to kill me though.

2023-05-10 7:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I don't know! I was beginning to wonder if y'all went off and formed a facebook group without me! :P

Great job on the brick--they are tricky little beasts to work into the regular schedule, but so important to learn how to run off legs that want to turn in circles. I always think the first one of the season is going to kill me though.

In that case, I didn't get the memo either!

Yes, legs where rather heavy off the bike and my calves were cramping a bit. I need to do some more of these.

2023-05-10 8:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

In that case, I didn't get the memo either!

Yes, legs where rather heavy off the bike and my calves were cramping a bit. I need to do some more of these.

I don't know if 10' is a sufficiently long run off the bike. Isn't that just the amount of time your legs feel like jelly and cramp and no time to get to the "sweet spot"? Maybe it is just me, but I feel like I need a longer brick than 10'
2023-05-10 9:54 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
yes, you're probably right, it was just starting to get better after 10 minutes.
I thought it was enough for the first one. and also I was hungry
2023-05-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: #5285346

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hunger is 100% a justifiable reason to end a workout!! :D
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland