BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-11-29 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3919081

User image

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
mighty mom - 2011-11-29 1:30 PM

Since Tracy brought up the topic of race planning for 2012, I am wondering what others' approach is to planning their schedule.  Do you tend to choose races that you want to do without much regard to your A race or do you let your A race dictate your schedule and find preporatory races to that fit in best?

I'm having a hard time deciding b/w registering for races that fit in best with Fink's plan or signing up for races I want to do.  Either I do an early May sprint and mid-June HIM (both local and I want to do) meaning I start my training in mid Jan or I do a mid June Oly and early July HIM (both further away and the HIM doesnt have fab reviews) neither of which I'm excited about but my training would start mid Feb.  I'm leaning towards doing the races I want to but worried about greater chance of burnout and the 2 month gap with no races. Thoughts?

I base most of my races on gearing towards my "A" race.  However, there are a few races I throw in just because I like them.    In '09 I did not do too many races leading up to my "A" race in November, and I really struggled with getting bored.  I lived through many of the mg race reports to get me through. 

DISCLAIMER - there is one thing that trumps all my races, "A" race included, and that is my kids schedule(s).  

2011-11-29 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3918150

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
dcon - 2011-11-28 7:56 PM
DougRob - 2011-11-28 3:37 PM

With the unseasonably warm weather I went for a bike ride yesterday. Everything was perfect except for one thing...(wait for it)... I forgot my riding shoes! Yes another shoe issue! Anyway we went out with me riding my clipless pedals with running shoes. My coach kept changing the route and the 24 miles became 38.7! I did not get dropped and I took my pulls too.

Did start to get cramps in my toes of my left foot near the end. Major quad workout.

And FWIW: All but two pens were shipped out by USPS this afternoon.

Doug: I pm'd you my address.  Your story reminded me of a guy I met at my second Oly distance race.  He was a friend of a guy I sometimes train/race with.  The guy had a $3000 Pinarello that he had ridden 3 or 4 times max before this Oly distance race (and yes, that was the only bike training he had done).  He had clipless pedals and no bike shoes.   He did the race in his running shoes.   Turns out he was a really good swimmer and had at least 5 minutes on me coming out of the water, but I quickly caught and passed him on the bike.

Suzy, Dan, & Christina,

Thanks for your input.  I've been looking at what you have all said, checking out the resourses Dan posted, and researching other things as well.  I think you are right on the money that it's something with my gait or other structural issues.  This is not just some sore muscle or muscle strain.  It's too ongoing and nagging :-)  Kinda like a teenager! LOL  The most constant discomfort I have is in the ITB.  The hamstring issue is new and feeling better already.  The lateral knee issue comes and goes, but is not constant. 

I'm doing some of the stretches that I found on the the site Dan posted as well as the normal ones that I've been doing.  I have an appointment with my chiropractor and another appoint with my massage therapist.  I really want to get to the bottom of this. 

OH!!!!  GUESS WHAT???  It's snowing here too. 

Here's how I will imagine myself running in the snow:

snowy run

Here's what it will really look like:

?

sidewalk run

2011-11-29 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3919353

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
jfought - 2011-11-29 3:06 PM
dcon - 2011-11-28 7:56 PM
DougRob - 2011-11-28 3:37 PM

With the unseasonably warm weather I went for a bike ride yesterday. Everything was perfect except for one thing...(wait for it)... I forgot my riding shoes! Yes another shoe issue! Anyway we went out with me riding my clipless pedals with running shoes. My coach kept changing the route and the 24 miles became 38.7! I did not get dropped and I took my pulls too.

Did start to get cramps in my toes of my left foot near the end. Major quad workout.

And FWIW: All but two pens were shipped out by USPS this afternoon.

Doug: I pm'd you my address.  Your story reminded me of a guy I met at my second Oly distance race.  He was a friend of a guy I sometimes train/race with.  The guy had a $3000 Pinarello that he had ridden 3 or 4 times max before this Oly distance race (and yes, that was the only bike training he had done).  He had clipless pedals and no bike shoes.   He did the race in his running shoes.   Turns out he was a really good swimmer and had at least 5 minutes on me coming out of the water, but I quickly caught and passed him on the bike.

Suzy, Dan, & Christina,

Thanks for your input.  I've been looking at what you have all said, checking out the resourses Dan posted, and researching other things as well.  I think you are right on the money that it's something with my gait or other structural issues.  This is not just some sore muscle or muscle strain.  It's too ongoing and nagging :-)  Kinda like a teenager! LOL  The most constant discomfort I have is in the ITB.  The hamstring issue is new and feeling better already.  The lateral knee issue comes and goes, but is not constant. 

I'm doing some of the stretches that I found on the the site Dan posted as well as the normal ones that I've been doing.  I have an appointment with my chiropractor and another appoint with my massage therapist.  I really want to get to the bottom of this. 

OH!!!!  GUESS WHAT???  It's snowing here too. 

Here's how I will imagine myself running in the snow:

snowy run

?

sidewalk run

I think you look great in that second picture!  It might be the angle but it does look like you overstride a little bit (could be the way the photo was captured though). 

It isn't suprising to have soreness in other muscles.  When one is not functioning properly others are forced to take over and sometimes they are not strong enough to carry the load. I really think the next step is to a good PT.  He can do some muscle strength assessment (I just did that) and watch you run (did that too).  Don't wait for it to pop to deal with it! 

2011-11-29 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3919364

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
SSMinnow - 2011-11-29 4:15 PM

sidewalk run

I think you look great in that second picture!  It might be the angle but it does look like you overstride a little bit (could be the way the photo was captured though). 

It isn't suprising to have soreness in other muscles.  When one is not functioning properly others are forced to take over and sometimes they are not strong enough to carry the load. I really think the next step is to a good PT.  He can do some muscle strength assessment (I just did that) and watch you run (did that too).  Don't wait for it to pop to deal with it! 

Oh, that's not me.  I would never be bold enough to wear a purple headband!!

2011-11-29 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3918802

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

DougRob - 2011-11-29 12:43 PM So I brought my bike in for its winter overhaul. Looks like I may be in the market for a new saddle. I have no issues with a racing saddle, but thought I might try out one of the Cobbs. Now would be the time if I do. Any suggestions with regard to Cobb saddles?

Drop them an email or give them a call.  If you tell them your height, weight and primary racing goals, they'll make a recommendation.

2011-11-29 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3918967

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-11-29 2:11 PM

Been a very long time since I did a bike LT... now that I got the trainer set up this would be an excellent opportunity.

Controlled environment.... no traffic, no hills, no wind... sounds perfect right?  
Downside - Since August, I have maybe three rides... so I'm thinking of waiting a few months to get my bike legs back... Maybe mid January?

Thoughts from the MG...

I've never done a bike LT, but am planning to do one next week (bike is already inside on the trainer).  I purposely held off until I got my last running race out of the way. 

2011-11-29 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3434069

Master
Charlotte, NC

So my curent state of emotions are all over the place.  A quick background on my kids.  My second pregnancy was a surprise twin pregnancy.  We ended up needing intra-uterine surgery at 19.5 weeks for TTTS.  They were born at 29 weeks.  That night the neonatologist told us Gabriel would not make it through the night.  He did but ended up with a grade 3 and 4 brain hemmoraghe.  He had a VP shunt placed at one month old followed by sepsis due to klebsiella and then meningitis.  He has had 3 follow up surgeries on the shunt since.  He didn't walk until 2.5 and has many gross and fine motor skill delays.  He is now 4.5.

So, I have suspected for a little while he had cerebral palsy and we had an appointment today with a neurologist who confirmed it.  It doesn't change much and I knew why we were going today but it still makes me sad.  I feel like he has so many hurdles and hills to climb and one more has been thrown his way.  Granted he is a fighter who will make you laugh so hard you cry (and not always on purpose), I just hate this for him. 

2011-11-29 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3919686

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
tricrazy - 2011-11-29 8:41 PM

So my curent state of emotions are all over the place.  A quick background on my kids.  My second pregnancy was a surprise twin pregnancy.  We ended up needing intra-uterine surgery at 19.5 weeks for TTTS.  They were born at 29 weeks.  That night the neonatologist told us Gabriel would not make it through the night.  He did but ended up with a grade 3 and 4 brain hemmoraghe.  He had a VP shunt placed at one month old followed by sepsis due to klebsiella and then meningitis.  He has had 3 follow up surgeries on the shunt since.  He didn't walk until 2.5 and has many gross and fine motor skill delays.  He is now 4.5.

So, I have suspected for a little while he had cerebral palsy and we had an appointment today with a neurologist who confirmed it.  It doesn't change much and I knew why we were going today but it still makes me sad.  I feel like he has so many hurdles and hills to climb and one more has been thrown his way.  Granted he is a fighter who will make you laugh so hard you cry (and not always on purpose), I just hate this for him. 

Rachel,

My heart goes out to you, your son, and your entire family.  You have been through so much already and now here's another bump in the road.  It's ok to be sad for awhile, process the confirmation and the diagnosis, and then carry on the best you can.  You are already an expert at this Wink.

Jayne

2011-11-29 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Rachel,  a good friend of mine had a daughter with several physical and mental challenges.  Over the years her daughter was diagnosed with varying conditions but ultimately it didn't change too much.   Having her in our lives was such a blessing.  She taught everyone so much about a child's strength and what pure joy looks like.   My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

2011-11-29 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Rachel, you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.  Tough news to have confirmed.
2011-11-29 9:00 PM

User image

Rachel - My thoughts are with you and your family. My older sister went through a similar series of surgeries for hydrocephalus as an infant and young child, and more recently as an adult when her shunt malfunctioned. I wish I could offer you more than to say, it's okay to feel what you feel.

2011-11-30 5:36 AM

User image

Champion
tricrazy - 2011-11-29 7:41 PM

I am so sorry for you and your family.  I cannot imagine how it feels to have a child go through such an illness, but I know your feelings are totally normal.  I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason and that you're never given more than you can handle.  You're a good mother and will continue to support your son and it sounds like he is a strong little boy who will perservere through the challenge.  Hang in there.

2011-11-30 5:43 AM

User image

Champion

So? who's ready to rock a race this weekend?  Details!

For the rest of us, there seems to be a lot of chatter about LT tests on the bike.  If you've done one, spill your strategy for getting the very best result possible! 

2011-11-30 6:25 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for all the good thoughts everytone.  I really appreciate it.
2011-11-30 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3919800

Master
Charlotte, NC
gotta run - 2011-11-29 10:00 PM

Rachel - My thoughts are with you and your family. My older sister went through a similar series of surgeries for hydrocephalus as an infant and young child, and more recently as an adult when her shunt malfunctioned. I wish I could offer you more than to say, it's okay to feel what you feel.

Julia, may I ask how she is now?  I have never met an adult who was shunted as an infant.   (If you don't feel comfortable sharing info about your sister, I totally understand.)

2011-11-30 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3920022

Master
Charlotte, NC
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 6:43 AM

For the rest of us, there seems to be a lot of chatter about LT tests on the bike.  If you've done one, spill your strategy for getting the very best result possible! 

No racing this weekend and never LT tested on th bike.

2011-11-30 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 8:43 AM

No more races for a while - May is worst case.  I was hoping to enter some other events, but they are almost none in the surrounding areas until May.

I am definitely interested in hearing feedback from others on doing LT tests inside on the trainer.  If someone has experience both outside and inside, I'd also like to hear about that, i.e., are your power numbers similar given a similar level of fitness?

2011-11-30 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
tricrazy - 2011-11-30 10:41 AM

Hi, I'm not sure quite what to say - i'm a guy after all - but what strikes me is how the neonatologist said he was going to die that night and here we are 4 and a half years on and he's a truly loved little boy and part of your family. That's something you probably couldn't have imagined on that night back then?

2011-11-30 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Rachel- I am so sorry. Nothing hurts more than seeing your child in pain. Today is a new day and you are doing your best.
2011-11-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3919800

User image

Master
Maryland

Rachel, my prayers go out to you and your family. You are a wonderful mother and nothing is more important to a mother than the well being of her children. You are remarkable.

2011-11-30 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 6:43 AM

Last official cross race of the season, Capital Cross Classic in Reston VA.

Do you mean FTP test or LT test?  I've done FTP tests at home, but only LT tests with my coach hooked up to some machine.

2011-11-30 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 3:43 AM

NFEC 50 miler on Saturday! The course is now 10,023 ft of ascent and 51.2 miles long, due to some trail maintenance course changes. An extra 1.2 miles isn't a big deal, but I'm glad I noticed it beforehand, so I'm not mentally finished at 50, lol. My strategy is to walk the ups, run the downs and flats, and keep moving forward. As long as I stay under 16' miles, I'm golden.

2011-11-30 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 5:43 AM

Woo Hoo - I'm racing.  Totally for fun this time and a tad bit shorter.  My son and I are doing the Hot Chocolate 5k.  Lots of chocolate at the end and some holiday fun thrown in.  I'm not sure he quite understands how long 3.1 miles is yet so we'll see how it goes.  He asked how many people were in the race.  His eyes got really big when I said about 15,000 - his races usually have more like 20-50 kids.  I think he is going to be blown away by the crowds and energy.

As far as LT tests and all others, they suck!  But it's always fun to measure progress after the fact.

2011-11-30 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3920043

User image

tricrazy - 2011-11-30 7:27 AM

Julia, may I ask how she is now?  I have never met an adult who was shunted as an infant.   (If you don't feel comfortable sharing info about your sister, I totally understand.)

She had a good outcome - in fact, much better than the doctors expected. It hasn't been easy and her life isn't perfect, but she's been very lucky and our parents were a big part of that "luck". PM me your email address and I'll tell you more.

2011-11-30 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3920241

User image

RoniS - 2011-11-30 9:13 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-11-30 3:43 AM

NFEC 50 miler on Saturday! The course is now 10,023 ft of ascent and 51.2 miles long, due to some trail maintenance course changes. An extra 1.2 miles isn't a big deal, but I'm glad I noticed it beforehand, so I'm not mentally finished at 50, lol. My strategy is to walk the ups, run the downs and flats, and keep moving forward. As long as I stay under 16' miles, I'm golden.

Same strategy, but for only 26.2 miles and 3500 ft of ascent. Leave it to the crazy kids in this MG to make that sound easy! Roni, I'll be thinking of you and sending you strong-leg thoughts while I'm sipping my hot soup after my race! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298