Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - FULL
$112 and a moving violatio?!!!! I am so pissed
2008-07-29 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1568275

User image

Expert
B'ham

Maybe he associated you with that Critical Mass assault recently.  Those guys are giving cyclists a bad name.

in reply to: #1568275

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

swbkrun - 2008-07-29 5:50 PM $112 and a moving violatio?!!!! I am so pissed

Ouch!, sorry to hear that man.

in reply to: #1568231

User image

Expert
B'ham

dalessit - 2008-07-29 2:28 PM Go for the insanity angle, it always seems to work on tvLaughing

And there's enough evidence around here to support it.

2008-07-29 7:10 PM
in reply to: #1369643

User image

Veteran
Calgary

HI All, I just thought I would check in and say after a long long break, I had a great holiday. I didn;t get much training in but I had a great relaxing time away from everything. I think it was just what I need. no I have to catch up and get ready for my Oly on the 17th. oops I might be in trouble. oh well, no one pays me for this so I can;t take it too seriously. Glad to back at it though however I am still having issue with my IT band and knee and haven;t been able to run at all. I am starting to get worried, going to physio and we;ll see what she says tomorrow. it is coming around so hopefully I'll be able to run for my race. Or maybe I will have to HTFU.

Got some good new today, found out that there is an Ironman 70.3 slated for Calgary next Aug 2, so I will be signing up for that.

later peeps.

2008-07-29 7:15 PM
in reply to: #1568553

User image

Champion
Pasman - 2008-07-29 8:10 PM

HI All, I just thought I would check in and say after a long long break, I had a great holiday. I didn;t get much training in but I had a great relaxing time away from everything. I think it was just what I need. no I have to catch up and get ready for my Oly on the 17th. oops I might be in trouble. oh well, no one pays me for this so I can;t take it too seriously. Glad to back at it though however I am still having issue with my IT band and knee and haven;t been able to run at all. I am starting to get worried, going to physio and we;ll see what she says tomorrow. it is coming around so hopefully I'll be able to run for my race. Or maybe I will have to HTFU.

Got some good new today, found out that there is an Ironman 70.3 slated for Calgary next Aug 2, so I will be signing up for that.

later peeps.

Welcome Back!

2008-07-29 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1568553

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Pasman - 2008-07-29 8:10 PM
p> Got some good new today, found out that there is an Ironman 70.3 slated for Calgary next Aug 2, so I will be signing up for that.

later peeps.

Good to hear about the Calgary HIM. Maybe I will come out for that. My family all lives in Alberta. Be a good reason to come out for a visit.
Sorry to hear the runing isn't coming along to good yet. Take care of it. Let it heal properly.
2008-07-30 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Perry, welcome back. Best of luck in the oly.  Mine is in 38 days, (but who is counting).  Steve, that really sucks. Sorry dude. What did the judge say?  Did the cop show up?  

I have to rant so please excuse me.  I tried to swim last night...what a joke. I am really starting to hate my gym. Fist off, they closed down 4 lanes for water aerobics, but was that on a schedule anywhere..........NO!!!!  Then after waiting 20 minutes for a lane, the life guard starting giving Lilly a hard time for being in a lap lane. Honestly, she was swimming laps and staying on the same line as I was, who cares if she is under 12. How else is she suppose to practice. I have been in the pool with much more annoying adults!!! So Lilly went to play in the "regular" pool and I swam 150yards before someone pooped in the pool and the whole place was shut down. So of course the whole pool went in to take showers!! What a waste of time!!! Have I mentioned I hate my gym?  I guess it is time to decide if the monthly membership is worth hanging on to for workouts during the winter months.  To be honest, there are cheaper gyms if I only need a weight room and a tread mill!! 

Rant over, but I do have a question for the group. Kind of off subject.......... I think I might have mentioned that I don't like my job (he he he).  I found a position with the Federal Prison System running their education program for inmates.  Teaching classes like parenting, life skills, GED courses, continuing ed, peer tutoring etc.  What do you all think?  After teaching high school this might actually be easier.  Just think if I ever went back to high school teaching, boy would I get respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008-07-30 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1569309

User image

Expert
B'ham

Gosh Tracy, that's a tough question.  I really think it would depend on the level of the prison and the types of offenders you'd be working with.  I know I'd really worry about my wife if she were to take a teaching position in a prison.  On the other hand, it's a really good opportunity to have a positive influence and maybe change the direction of someone's life - not many people can say they get that opportunity in their job.

One thing the prisoners and high school students have in common: Neither of them really want to be there.

2008-07-30 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
I'm in agreement with Matt. I think it really depends on the prison and severity of the reasons for the imprisonment. Out of curiosity is it in a women's prison. I know I would certainly be concerned about my wife or daughters working in a prison. I guess one of the things to consider is that the prisoners invloved in the education will have earned the right to be in the classroom as opposed to someone who is a trouble maker and I'm sure security would be very high as well. I work with a lady who used to work at the prions in town and she said it was quite the experience.
If you decide to tkae the job best of luck and get a couple of big tatoos. Not of Tinkerbell or anything like that though. Hope that helps a bit.

As to your rant. I think you had every right to be PO'd. You build your schedule around what they post so you should be able to depend on it. In our pool we don't discrimate on who goes into the swim lanes. The only resrtiction is we do have some fast lanes and some slower ones. If Emily was in a fast lane and keeping up with the other swimmers then no problems. If she was slow the lifeguard would just ask her to move to a slower lane. No issues.

Edited by Redknight 2008-07-30 10:06 AM

2008-07-30 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Perry... Welcome back.... Sorry to hear about the IT Band.  This is a NAGGING injury, and sticks around for a long time!  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE TP MASSAGE BALLS (http://www.tptherapy.com/quaddisfunction.php?id=20) this really helps... It something that you can sit around and watch TV and do....especially after a nice work out!  I use after all works just cuz!  It helps break things up!  And HURTS LIKE A BEAR!  IN A GOOD WAY OF COURSE!!

Tracy..........

I think you really need to look deep into this..... Ask yourself (and your hubby) several questions.... Is this safe, will I have "protection" (guards in the class with you?)... You are an attractive women in a prison... This sounds dangerous!  Why do I teach?  Because I get paid well.... I like my summers free with my kids.... I like making a difference in peoples lifes, etc....   How will this benefit me and my family, what is the long term gain from this, and the short term gains?  Is this going to effect me sleeping at night because I taught a pedophile to do long division?!  

I know that was all over the board, but 1st reading your post I thought EWH YUCK!!!!!  If you can make some good money, and be safe--- MAYBE?!

2008-07-30 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Thanks for the concern guys.   I agree with a lot of your comments.  It is a medium security level, but I agree with Rob in that these would be people who have earned the right to be in the program.  I love the idea of really making a difference in people's lives.  One of the strongest pulls for teaching is the impact you have. Seeing the lightbulb go off and know that you improved someone's life is amazing. This would certainly be a different take on that, but still doing work for the greater good. I agree I wouldn't want to work with violent criminals. I am thinking it is more like bank robbers, auto left, white colar crimes, etc.  Yes there is a woman's prison there as well.  I just hope I am not too naive in thinking these are people that want to help themselves and they really are there because it is the lesser of the evils they have to choose from.  Who knows. I haven't been invited for an interview even so this may all be to boot. 

Doug thinks my getting self defense training would be cool- he loves tough women who can kick a** movies  (Alias, TombRaider, CatWoman etc). But seriously, he has the same concerns as the rest of my men on BT.

Oh by the way Rob, already got the tatoo.  AND NO YOU CAN'T SEE IT!!!!!  IT'S FOR DOUG'S EYES ONLY!!

2008-07-30 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Self defence is really a great idea for anyone. I have a 3rd degree black belt in karate and taught kids and adults alike. You are dead on when you talk about the light going on. I also had most of my students for 3+ years in their training so I was able to see their personal development better.
The karate training and teaching is one of the things which convinced me that I could do triathlons.
THought I should throw something in about triathlonsas this is after all a tir supprot group
2008-07-30 11:07 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hey all, I was able to make it to that Oly on Sunday. I finished my first Oly in 2:46:41 and am very pleased with that. I have a race report up. I did the swim in 34, bike in 1:15 and run in 52 min.

If yall remember I took my first swim lessons in freestyle in June and was able to go a whole 50 yards without taking a break... I was able to swim the whole 1650 yards or whatever it was strong (for my ability) with no breststroke. I was amazed that my bike time was at a 19.75 ish mph pace. I usually do around 17.5-18 mph in practice. Anyway I'm just beaming about it.

There were some amazing athletes at the event. The first place guy did the swim in 22 min, the bike in 1 hour even and the run in 37 min for a total time of 2:01:30 ish (first 5 under 2:05:00 ish). Does that seem fast to anyone, omgosh. So I only need to noc 45 min off my time to be in the money... right. Oh well, on my sister-in-law's computer in Colorado atm and need to be heeded out.

Last question, how much does one slack after an Oly, to recover. I am not thinking more than a couple days but am open to imput. Remember I am about 10 months off the couch at this point 8).

2008-07-30 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
An amazing result Steve. Congrats. I haven't done and Oly yet so you will have to rely on the more experienced people in the group for recovery time.
my 2 cents though. If it was me I think I would listend to my body. I don't think 3 or 4 day off or light workouts is wrong. It also depends on when your next race is. If you try to rxercise too hard too quickly after the race you will only end up tired later on adn could also risk injury
Once again congrats

2008-07-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1569945

User image

Expert
B'ham

Nice job on the Oly - those are great times.  I'm looking forward to doing a longer race.  Probably not until next year though, given racing budgets and I've sort of committed to a half-marathon in September.

I was actually kicking the idea of an unofficial Oly on a weekend.  Just me and anyone else around here I can convince to s/b/r the Oly distance on a random Saturday.   Of course, my wife would be the "official" and "fairly" apply time penalties to participants (if they are ahead of me ).

2008-07-30 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Great job Steve, it looks like all your training really paid off.  Like Rob, I haven't raced that distance, but I just listen to my body after races.  After a few days I am ready to get back out there and do something.  Nothing crazy but get the blood pumping.  How did your timing chip placement workout? Weren't you worried about that?

Matt, good luck with getting a group together.  I don't know if I would have the discipline to complete a training tri of that length. I think half way through I would totally blow it off.

Has anyone ever volunteered for a race?  I just signed up for the HIM in my area (as a volunteer of course) for two reasons.  First, I know how much I appreciate the volunteers at my races and so I want to give back to the sport, and 2, I am thinking about racing this race in the future and thought it would be a good opportunity to check it out.  Anyone have any good volunteer stories/advise? 

And I promise I will stop posting threads off topic from now on. Bad Tracy.  My theory is we are all EXPERTS now that we can BS about other junk instead of training topics. 

Edited by tahrens 2008-07-30 1:21 PM
2008-07-30 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1569945

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Baowolf, your RR is not public.

2008-07-30 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1570368

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2008-07-30 2:09 PM

Great job Steve, it looks like all your training really paid off.  Like Rob, I haven't raced that distance, but I just listen to my body after races.  After a few days I am ready to get back out there and do something.  Nothing crazy but get the blood pumping.  How did your timing chip placement workout? Weren't you worried about that?

Matt, good luck with getting a group together.  I don't know if I would have the discipline to complete a training tri of that length. I think half way through I would totally blow it off.

Has anyone ever volunteered for a race?  I just signed up for the HIM in my area (as a volunteer of course) for two reasons.  First, I know how much I appreciate the volunteers at my races and so I want to give back to the sport, and 2, I am thinking about racing this race in the future and thought it would be a good opportunity to check it out.  Anyone have any good volunteer stories/advise?  (And I promise I will stop posting threads off topic from now on. Bad Tracy)

Tracy, this forum is great for asking off topic stuff, hopefully the stuff I sent you from my dad is helpful to you.  He worked for BOP for 25 years, basically it was a desk job and instead of moving widgits he moved inmates...

2008-07-30 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Tracy. Under no circumstances should you stop posting threads off topic. They spice up the thread and as triathletes we need the spice
I'm sure we all enjoy the side bars even though I have never done one.

2008-07-30 1:53 PM

User image

Champion

My wife sent me an e-mail about signing up http://www.ironmanneworleans.com/index.php

We both love New Orleans, only problem is the fact it is in April, so tough to get outside and train during that time of the year.

I like the fact that the swim is point to point, and from looking at the maps means you don't have to deal with buoy's since it is just a straight swim.

I will have one Olympic under my belt before then (in November)

I don't mind the individual distances, the run is a bit longer than I normally do but figure I could get to that point by april.

Any thoughts?

2008-07-30 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Okay, how about this...................................

A Bicycle Story
A triathlete was walking around in town one day when his friend, another triathlete, rode up on an incredible shiny new bike. The first chap was stunned and asked, "Where did you get such a fantastic bike?" The friend replied, "Well, yesterday I was out running in the forest just minding my own business when this beautiful woman rode up to me on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want!" The first chap nodded approvingly, "Good choice. The clothes probably wouldn't have fitted you anyway."

2008-07-30 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1570536

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2008-07-30 2:53 PM

My wife sent me an e-mail about signing up http://www.ironmanneworleans.com/index.php

We both love New Orleans, only problem is the fact it is in April, so tough to get outside and train during that time of the year.

I like the fact that the swim is point to point, and from looking at the maps means you don't have to deal with buoy's since it is just a straight swim.

I don't mind the individual distances, the run is a bit longer than I normally do but figure I could get to that point by april.

Any thoughts?

one thought....ALLIGATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tahrens 2008-07-30 1:56 PM
2008-07-30 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1570554

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2008-07-30 2:56 PM
dalessit - 2008-07-30 2:53 PM

Any thoughts?

one thought....ALLIGATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, that was the first thing I thought also, that and those big rat things I have seen them shoot on cops...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 78