BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-06-19 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3556936

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..
Baowolf - 2011-06-19 8:13 PM

Then we went fishing.... no fish.

Funny you should say that.  While hanging out talking in the water both me and a friend had our nipples bit by a fish.  They thought I was crazy at first until Michael jumped out of the water shouting.  Maybe a little TMI but you might want to try that trick next time they're not biting.  Me, I'm wearing my tri top tomorrow as an added precaution.

I also noticed today that Universal Sports has 3 2010 IM replays available for free viewing currently.  IM Kona, Florida, and Arizona. All are entertaining.  What I found interesting was that Chrisie Wellington doesn't wear an aero helmet.  That much speed without the ice pick look.

Edited by dhwebb 2011-06-19 8:39 PM

2011-06-19 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Wow! I know I've been MIA when I can't even catch up with all of the messages I've missed out on! You can probably tell by my logs I have fallen off the run/swim train and dove head first into the biking deep end! I have found some AMAZING group rides in my area and now I'm totally addicted! I'm learning so much from these riders and have found the biking community to be one of the most welcoming and friendly groups I've ever encountered! I'm going to continue my break from running and swimming through the end of July. I signed up for RAGBRAI The Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa (well, the last 200 miles of it..) and I can't wait! When I return, if I still have legs, I will jump back into the pool and put my running shoes back on for my October sprint tri. Continued luck to everyone on their upcoming training and races-you are all an inspiration!!!

Kenzie

2011-06-19 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ

Hi guys - Atlantic city with the girls was fun - didn't get much sleep so the workout clothes stayed in the luggage.  Kind of in pain from walking lots in heels - not something that I often do - so my legs are really unhappy!  Chilled with family for Father's day - did swim with the kids.

Dennis - the purple bike put a smile on my face - thanks!

Lisa - I have a Blend Tec also that we use on a daily basis - I chuckled at Steve's remark as well.  I sometimes make a vanilla protein shake with spinach and blueberries.  I use it all the time - green shakes, juices, almond milk, hummus - it's fun finding new things.

Catching up on all the posts and looking at my pitiful logs  - I've realized a few things - 1) When I first started thinking about doing a tri - I was really worried about drowning - so all of my focus has really been on being able to swim.  Now that I'm pretty sure that I won't drown - I need to really increase my bike/run hours.  2)  I sometimes take other classes to mix it up like step aerobics, zumba, and even my strength class (that includes a good amount of squats with the weight bar resting on my shoulders).  Reading some of the recent posts - I never really thought about the fact that I'm using the same muscle groups - or about reserving them for training.  Most of the reason that I do the other classes is because the friend who got me to join the gym in the first place always asks me to join her and in a way I feel indebted.  3) Lately I'm hungry all the time - and I've been taking Marcus's approach - so gotta start getting a better handle on the diet as well!

Looking forward to hearing from our racers.

2011-06-20 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Hi guys! I'm back from my race.  Don't have any splits yet, just over all time as they didn't have timing chips! So I'll get the transition times and splits today they said...grrr.

Went up Sat with hubby stayed at running girlfriend's house.  I actually slept some! Yeah.  The race director said this race had the calmest ocean she had seen in 3 years-and they do a series of 5 races per year! Very calm ocean  with water temp 80*.  They run both the sprint and intermediate races simultaneoulsy, the longer distance just started 4 min behind the sprint racers.  So I was depressed when two Green swim caps pased me at the end of my pink cap short race. (You know who they were..it's just wrong for them to pass me and they started 4 min behind!) I must say the swim suc*ed, yet again! The first 100 yards I couldn't get my breathing down.  Entire swim I never was able to bilateral breathe! Back stretch was a tad better, but a lot of bumping.  One person bumped my goggles, and the suction was never the same.  Good part, I never stopped the freestyle stroke. (First race I did stop and side stroke a few times.) So I guess that is improvement. The course was a triangle, and coming back was against the little current and waves, I got a little off course but not too bad, but felt lke I curved out instead of going straight. The bike was great. Flat pancake course just down and back. What irked me though was there were two groups of three guys each drafting, guess they were teams or something. There were no officials at all on the course. How badly I wanted to draft someone, anyone! Not fair! But I didn't, I was a "good girl". The run was so-so.  I like a large field of racers, so I can pace with a faster runner until I can no longer keep up.  Well, this race I was for the most part on m own, just me and my Garmin...very small field, probably 60-70 racers.  My overall finish time was 5 min faster than my first race...so yeah me! I placed 2nd in age group which sounds impressive until you know there were only 5 in my age group.

What I learned, train in the swimming portion even more! And take GU! After the race I almost passed out standing at the rack.  I never took anything during the race, transitions ever. DUH. At the time I felt I was OK, didn't need it. Double duh. After a banana and bagle I was OK.

What I didn't like: No finisher's medal! How dare they! I like the medals.  I know some of you have so many you'd look like Mr. T if you wore them, but I do't have many, I want them. Oh well. I got a new water bottle...yeah...  -Karen

2011-06-20 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Dennis!So you were the fish food!?! Very funny, and freaky! Odd stories we have to tell, huh?

Steve-Your ride story is oddly amusing.  I know at the time is was not amusing to you. I understand the need to get out of the wind! You should bring your fishermen to the lake behind my house! There is a spot where you catch the fish almost as soon as you put out the line.  But they are small sun fish, so you have to get them in fast or the bass will eat them right off your line!

Carol-I am so sorry you are still ill. Try not to hack up too much of your lungs, you need them for the swim! lol

Kenzie-Nice to have you back! Sounds like you are really enjoying the bike group, good for you.  That will only make your tri times that much faster! You will zip past me, like the winner in my age group did.

Ken-Glad your race went well, and you got your PR. Bet you got a medal! sniff, sniff, tear, tear.

Samantha- I am finding that my flute muscles (lol) are sore often as well.  I love the yoga class I've been gong to, specifically for the stretches.  My fav stretch is the Pigeon which really stretches those flute muscles! You might want to try it.

That's it for now, gotta go clean out my gear (BTW- loved having a tri backpack for the race, all my junk fit and was easy arriving and exiting the transition area.)

Will post race reports asap. -Karen

2011-06-20 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Oh, just one more thing: My girlfriend told me as she was watching the race, one guy with the super aero helmet and really super bike took off out of the transition area and went the wrong way!!! A1A is a straight north to south road. He was suppose to go south but went north instead.  She said they tried to yell for him, but he went so fast, he never heard them. She said she watched for quite a while to see if he ever came back, but he didn't. Too bad.

2011-06-20 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3557476

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I have only received one finishers medal and I must say it is a cool gold anchor.

hubby stayed at running girlfriend's house.  I actually slept some!

I'm not sure how I should take that sentence, but I have drawn my own conclusions.

How badly I wanted to draft someone, anyone! Not fair!

You know that triathlon is a race against yourself and not others. That is unless you are actually registering Pro.  Don't cheat yourself.  Wouldn't it suck if your PR was on a race you cheated with a little drafting, you would always doubt your true potential.

And 2 out of 5 ain't bad either. Actually it's really good.  And as far as nutrition most people don't take on anything during a sprint.  Maybe make sure you have enough in you before the race.  You're not supposed to feel refreshed after a race, you should be near collapse IMO.

Don't have any splits yet, just over all time

And what was your overall time?  You can post details later.

Overall good job on the race. So when's the next one?

one guy with the super aero helmet and really super bike took off out of the transition area and went the wrong way!!!

Did he look like this guy?

Edited by dhwebb 2011-06-20 9:12 AM
2011-06-20 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Good morning all.  Just posted my race report.  

<http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=257340>

It was a great race.  Very well organized.  The course was perfect for setting PR's.  I didn't but it was still awesome.  I am really happy with it.  

2011-06-20 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Dennis, you are not making me feel very comfortable with open water swimming.  Not sure if I want anything biting on me in the water. 

Steve,  I can totally relate to riding into a headwind.  It isn’t any fun at all, especially if you are riding alone.

Kenzie,  I think we are in the same area.  Which bike group are you riding with?  I try to ride with IOSDT.  

2011-06-20 10:35 AM

User image

@Ken- Small world! I just found out about the IOS rides - I might hit one of those next week. I've been riding out from Cycling Spoken Here on Maynard in Cary. They have an awesome Saturday and Sunday morning group. They run at about 16 mph and they won't drop you unless you're REALLY slow. They vary the rides depending on the group. If there are a few people who want to go longer/shorter, they split up out on the ride. Super friendly group! Most of these rides are organized by the Canes Cycling Club and are free. Then there's a ladies ride on Wednesday's (sorry, don't think you'll fit in there!) Here's a link to the Cane's Calendar: http://canescyclingclub.com/Ride_Calendar.html

And then there are a few more listed here that leave from Cycling Spoken Here: http://cyclingspokenhere.com/articles/csh-summer-road-rides-1-pg669.htm
FAIR WARNING: The descriptions on the CSH site are not always entirely accurate! I went out with the Monday group and I was the only beginner. They were fast! Probably 20+ mph. They didn't stop to take drinks or regroup EVER. Luckily a couple of riders hung back and we took it a bit slower. Let me know if you find any "Can't Miss" rides-maybe I'll see you out there!
2011-06-20 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Karen -- WOOHOO!! Way to go in your race!  2nd in AG to boot!  Yea, this OWS stuff is just messy no matter how you practice.  Sounds like you rolled with it really well though.  As for the lack of finsiher medals....booo on that!  Did you get something as an AG award?

Ken -- congrats on a good day at the races for you!  Did YOU get a finisher medal?  Can see from your race report you are already thinking about your next phase of training!

Samantha -- nice recovery ride.  It's a fine line sometimes between too much and not enough, both on training and rest. 

Marcus -- must be all that book learnin' that helped you make the leap from flute to glute

Dennis -- what kind of fish are in that lake?  Sounds like you are swimming with a different kind of sharks as well.  9:45 sounds more like a breakfast time than and IM time.  And wow, your friends are not exactly making triathlon look like a good idea.  Hope they bounce back quickly.

Steve -- 6 hours of fishing w/ no fish?? Betting it was some good bonding time w/ your kiddos.  I don't think I'd like biking much either after that ride, and perhaps you will see some unanticipated gains.

Kenzie -- WOW on the biking!  You are doing great, and what a goal on the long distance ride!  As I recall, we got our bikes around the same time. 

Ceril - glad you had a good time w/ your friends!  Sounds like you are really giving some good thought to your training.   It's hard to get bored with this tri stuff because it's a real trick to balance everything.  On the classes, could you and your friend maybe find one that works better for both of you?  Maybe yoga or something to compement the tri training?

Really hit the wall with this bug, and had to cancel father's day festivities yesterday.  Took Katy the dog for a walk this morning, and coughing less now, so I hope to ease back into somethging resembling training as the week goes on.   

2011-06-20 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Ken- Your run split on the race was amazing! Can't believe you said you had "some left in the tank"!! At that pace, my tank would have been empty before the first mile!!  Wow, you are awesome!

Dennis- funny Utube clip! Yes, the guy in the race had a helmet like that, but I am assuming it was on correctly...

Also, Ken, I think you missed my sarcasm when I said I wanted to draft.  I'd never do that, one, cuz it is just wrong, two cuz I'd cause a crash I am sure lol! No, I only said that because there were the three guys who were, I mean they were just inches behind each other! Serioulsy, I'd never do that.

So, guys, am I crazy? I just signed up for another race this coming Saturday. Wait, let me explain. It is a mini sprint-400y swim, 8 mi bike 5K run.  Kinda just like an easy work out for me.  I am doing it for a few reasons: to practice more in the ocean! :It is right here in Daytona :My former student's father's bike shop is sponsoring it. So there you go, yes, another race for me. But I won't worry about times, just want to kick the ocean's but* because it has been kicking mine! OH! And they DO give finishers medals! I've always gotten them in the half marathons, even most 5Ks that I've done. Spoiled I suppose. -Karen

2011-06-20 2:41 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Karen -- love it that you are racing again this weekend AND vowing to kick the ocean in the @$$!

Gotta celebrate -- my weight was under 129.6 today, a long term goal met!  OK, the last couple of lbs came off in the last week, so probably loss of muscle from not working out.  But just glimpsing the 120's again is pretty awesome!  Have lost a total of 18 lbs or 12% of my starting weight since Nov 2010.  Next goal is 125 by 9/30/11.

2011-06-20 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Karen, no finisher medals for me either.
2011-06-20 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3557594

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Ken, just looked at your race report.  You kicked in the bike and run.  I would celebrate times like those.  Hell I wouldn't mind having your 100yd. swim either.  Good job.
2011-06-20 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Carol- Congrats on your weight loss.  I've often "man if I got sick I'd loose those extra nagging pounds.." Sorry that is how it had to happen for you, but making your goal is great!

My race report is up: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=257470

I think I did that correct. I was very pleased with my transitions T1 1:23 T2 1:30.  Overall time 1:31:38

Swim: 750m 17:58

Bike 12 mi 40:31

Run 5K 30:16

So I now feel I need to work on my mount and dismount...ideas? -Karen

2011-06-20 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Great job, Karen.  You are awesome.  I wish I could OWS. 

2011-06-20 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3558853

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
kmatt318 - 2011-06-21 7:41 AM

Great job, Karen.  You are awesome.  I wish I could OWS. 

Thanks Ken, it is hard, but I want more!!!
2011-06-20 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3558502

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
kmatt318 - 2011-06-21 4:08 AM Karen, no finisher medals for me either.
I say we make our own to share for us BTers who race and don't get a medal!
2011-06-21 6:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Karen, I agree.  We will have to work on something.

I am still "suffering" through the after effects of a bad cramp.  What is the best remedy? 

Edited by kmatt318 2011-06-21 6:58 AM
2011-06-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3558960

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

trigator01 - 2011-06-20 7:50 PM
kmatt318 - 2011-06-21 4:08 AM Karen, no finisher medals for me either.
I say we make our own to share for us BTers who race and don't get a medal!

Yes, good idea!  Now, as for a design....hmmmm.

Ken, is it a calf cramp?  If so, I've found that "the stick" is really good for working out knots in my calf muscles.  If you don't have that...then a rolling pin.

2011-06-21 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Thanks for the tip, Carol.  I read the thread earlier regarding the stick and thought about getting one, but procrastination is my middle name.

Has anyone had any experience with compression?  It is becoming a popular accessory and I was wondering if it would help the cramping? My 2XU tri shorts are compression and I never have any hamstring cramps.

2011-06-21 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Ken- I have some very cute pink calf compression "socks" you could borrow! JK! I guess I don't wear them enough to notice. I have compression leggins, shorts and socks, guess I am supose to leave them on after the run/ride?I dont know, I still ache all over after a long run. I just like the way they hold in the fat! lol -Karen
2011-06-21 10:28 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Well Summer finally arrived, 7 mile run and 23 mile bike in 92F temps... taking in a bit more water..

Grats on the weight loss.

Respectible times on that Tri very well balanced as far as paces go.  I wouldn't worry about doing a flying mount or anything... you only gain about 5 seconds or lose a few minutes on the far side of the bike.  If you plan on a flying start, practice it a couple hundred times before trying it in a race. 

OWS just takes time. 

I use my 2XU compression leggings after long runs because I find ice baths tooo uncomfortable.  They seem to help my legs recoup, they at least help me to walk for the next 2 hours until my legs are feeling human again, which is of benefit to me as I run before church on Sundays.  I get a price break on 2xu... so I picked up a pair. 

Yes, the stick for cramps and stretching. 

2011-06-22 6:04 AM
in reply to: #3561295

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Baowolf - 2011-06-22 11:28 AM

Well Summer finally arrived, 7 mile run and 23 mile bike in 92F temps... taking in a bit more water..

Grats on the weight loss.

Respectible times on that Tri very well balanced as far as paces go.  I wouldn't worry about doing a flying mount or anything... you only gain about 5 seconds or lose a few minutes on the far side of the bike.  If you plan on a flying start, practice it a couple hundred times before trying it in a race. 

OWS just takes time. 

I use my 2XU compression leggings after long runs because I find ice baths tooo uncomfortable.  They seem to help my legs recoup, they at least help me to walk for the next 2 hours until my legs are feeling human again, which is of benefit to me as I run before church on Sundays.  I get a price break on 2xu... so I picked up a pair. 

Yes, the stick for cramps and stretching. 

Steve, let me get this right, compression leggings are suposed to be used after  long run?? No wonder I have never noticed any benefit, I use to wear them DURING long runs then take them off. Hmmm, boy there is still so much to learn!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61