BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 191

2012-04-14 12:20 AM
in reply to: #4149557

User image

New user

Seattle
Subject: RE: swbkrun mentor group 6 years running OPEN

Hi Justin! Nice to get the skinny on real names.

-Kelley

2012-04-14 12:21 AM
in reply to: #4149577

User image

New user

Seattle
Thanks, that's a great gear idea. I will give it a try.
2012-04-14 12:41 AM
in reply to: #4149577

User image

Master
kt65 - 2012-04-13 4:23 PM

Welcome to Ang and Kelley! 

Kelley, Lake Sam is Kyla (kkcbelle's) ows practice lake (i think, if memory serves me right!)  Maybe she can lend insight into the COLDness...I recall her swimming there last May-ish in training for her June IM.  Do you have a neoprene cap?  I find it helps when I toughen up and venture into our frosty (55-60F) water here in SF bay.

Kim is right! Good memory!! I am happy to post more (I am usually quite verbose) but on an iPad now and on vacation so not typing too much. Remind me later next week (home on tuesday, overwhelmed on Wednesday, back to The Real Life by Thursday...). Carry on peeps, and welcome to the bright and shiny new faces!!! Aloha!!
2012-04-14 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4123816

User image

Hi everybody! I did my first triathlon 2004. From 2004-2006 did as many as I could then I got injured IT band...it took me 4 years to heal. Then I started mountain biking. Last year I decided to do a triathlon, not a lot of training...sprint in 2:13....then 2012, January I started training for a March triathlon too many work trips and not a lot of swimming let me to 2:15 very dissapointing. 49 mins on the swim and a nasty cramp. I am getting very anxious on the swim leg . I start ok but then I start thinking that I should be exausted, my mind dominates me...so I can't even put my head in the water. That happens on the race because I can swim open water by myself but on the race I get quite anxious. I am thinking to do a race april 29....not a lot of swim again....
2012-04-14 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Chet- I have not experimented with these yet but during last yrs TdF I read a post with a link to 3 videos on food items popular with the riders. One was a roasted potato gratin, the second was a rice ball, and i :think: the third was similar to a frittata. Ive been trying to find the YouTube videos with no luck (on my phone) but they looked good and easy to digest. Maybe worth trying to find. I know I want to try the potato and rice recipes. GL.
2012-04-14 7:38 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Chet - bonk breakers are good..  http://www.bonkbreaker.com/energy-bars/__peanut-butter-and-jelly

Says on their site they are the offical bar of Ironman? so thats sound good for on the course fuel for you guys down there. Mmmmm PB&J was great. I liked it. Solid but easily digestable. Took a few on bigger training rides as well. Way easier than trying to throw a real PB&J in the bike jersey!

I Had one on the bike as it was nice to have something other than Infinit and gels. Oh, and I had S&V chips in my special needs!!  

Edited by TrevorC 2012-04-14 7:41 AM

2012-04-14 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4149832

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

It was part of it.  That and we went through an adjustment period around that time when we found out our daughter has special needs.  I took some time off to learn about therapy's, deal with the school district, etc.  Now that I think we have a pretty great routine down with her speech, OT, food therapy, insert name of therapy here, I am getting back on track.  

It was a trying year, but it was worth the effort of course, but now it's time for me to keep myself from going insane again! LOL  

2012-04-14 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Chet, are you just doing water now on the bike, with encrustables? I switched to CYtomax (the one that says sustained energy) because my trusty Infinit started to make my stomach hurt last year on long rides. But I never did solids, because when I tried to add honey stingers or gels, my intestines were not happy. Six weeks! I'm excited for you! That swim start does look um, intense! Good luck!
2012-04-14 9:14 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Welcome Yubi!

I am off for a 4.5 hour bike and a 10 minute run.

2012-04-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4150102

User image

Expert
B'ham
TrevorC - 2012-04-14 5:38 AM

Chet - bonk breakers are good..  http://www.bonkbreaker.com/energy-bars/__peanut-butter-and-jelly

Says on their site they are the offical bar of Ironman? so thats sound good for on the course fuel for you guys down there. Mmmmm PB&J was great. I liked it. Solid but easily digestable. Took a few on bigger training rides as well. Way easier than trying to throw a real PB&J in the bike jersey!

I Had one on the bike as it was nice to have something other than Infinit and gels. Oh, and I had S&V chips in my special needs!!  

One of my long ride faves is PB tortillas. Spread PB on a tortilla, roll it up, cut into zip lock length.  I have not used them when running after, but they are awesome at that point in the ride where I start craving real food.

2012-04-14 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham
Trail Runners and PNW locals -- this group just keeps getting better.  Welcome!

2012-04-14 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4150282

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
cadmus - 2012-04-14 8:36 AM
TrevorC - 2012-04-14 5:38 AM

One of my long ride faves is PB tortillas. Spread PB on a tortilla, roll it up, cut into zip lock length.  I have not used them when running after, but they are awesome at that point in the ride where I start craving real food.

PB & Nutella is even that much better!!

2012-04-14 2:01 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
So, I just heard they are offering deferrals to 2013 Boston Marathon for this year's runners due to the warm temperatures expected Monday.  If this is true, what is your opinion?  I personally think it is pretty crappy as it will (or at the very least can) affect people trying to qualify for next year.  The weather you get at a marathon is a crap shoot, sometimes it is great and sometimes it isn't.   What says the MG?
2012-04-14 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4150608

User image

Elite
san francisco

tricrazy - 2012-04-14 12:01 PM So, I just heard they are offering deferrals to 2013 Boston Marathon for this year's runners due to the warm temperatures expected Monday.  If this is true, what is your opinion?  I personally think it is pretty crappy as it will (or at the very least can) affect people trying to qualify for next year.  The weather you get at a marathon is a crap shoot, sometimes it is great and sometimes it isn't.   What says the MG?

Rachel, this is the first I've heard of this.  I couldn't get a deferral for being injured, I actually think high of 80's is not unreasonably high, personally, and I really don't like running in the heat.

I'm not sure that's very fair especially as I think there are a bunch of people who got locked out who would still be running this race even with temps as they are.  Adjusting hydration and race plan for weather is part of the deal of running races.  I know if I were there, I'd still be running regardless of the weather...And most people running Boston are experienced runners, so I really don't get it.  My 2 cents.

Edited by kt65 2012-04-14 2:49 PM
2012-04-14 3:01 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Kim, I have no confirmation of this either.  That is why I said if it is true.  If someone can confirm, or debunk it, let me know. 
2012-04-14 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB

Man, busy couple days around here!!

WELCOME Ang, Kelley and Grisel (Yubi)!!  Don't be shy and ask lots of questions.

Race news:
My half marathon this morning was less than a huge success -- 100% my own fault.  Hard lessons learned today (seems I've said that before Embarassed ...
Anyway the RR is here for your reading enjoyment.

2012-04-14 3:10 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Here is the deferral announcment from the maraton website.

2012 Participants are able to defer to 2013

BOSTON MARATHON WEATHER UPDATE
Due to warm weather in Monday's forecast, a deferment option has been introduced.

Due to the unusually warm weather forecast for the Boston area on Monday, the B.A.A. will defer the entry of those official entrants to the 2013 Boston Marathon for participants who decide not to race.

This applies to official entrants (including charity runners or other waiver runners) ONLY, who either have claimed or will claim their bib number packet at the John Hancock Sports & Fitness Expo through Sunday evening at the Seaport World Trade Center in South Boston.

RULES FOR DEFERMENT:

• Runners must claim their bib number for deferment to be an option. 
  • In order to receive a deferment for 2013, race participants may NOT start the race.
  • No refund for the 2012 entry will be given.  All entry fees for 2013 must be paid.

In addition, the B.A.A. will keep the finish systems open an additional hour on race day.  Whereas the finish systems generally cease just prior to 5:00 p.m., this year the finish systems will remain open until approximately 6:00 p.m.

After this year's event has completed runners who followed the rules set forth above will receive information regarding how to claim their deferment to the 2013 event. 

The B.A.A. thanks all participants for their cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,
B.A.A.

2012-04-14 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4150686

User image

Elite
san francisco
tricrazy - 2012-04-14 1:01 PMKim, I have no confirmation of this either.  That is why I said if it is true.  If someone can confirm, or debunk it, let me know. 
Ha, just looked at my email and it is true! Athletes have to be there in person to get the deferral and reg fees are non refundable, ie, one would have to pay again to register for 2013. You are right though, depending on how many athletes do defer, it will make it that many less spots for 2013, yet another cluster. Btw, great family photo you posted!
2012-04-14 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4150693

Master
Charlotte, NC
Scalded_Dawg - 2012-04-14 4:08 PM

Man, busy couple days around here!!

WELCOME Ang, Kelley and Grisel (Yubi)!!  Don't be shy and ask lots of questions.

Race news:
My half marathon this morning was less than a huge success -- 100% my own fault.  Hard lessons learned today (seems I've said that before Embarassed ...
Anyway the RR is here for your reading enjoyment.

I think a 1:55 is great so congrats on that although I am sorry that it didn't go as planned.

2012-04-14 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4150698

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

kt65 - 2012-04-14 1:10 PM
tricrazy - 2012-04-14 1:01 PMKim, I have no confirmation of this either.  That is why I said if it is true.  If someone can confirm, or debunk it, let me know. 
Ha, just looked at my email and it is true! Athletes have to be there in person to get the deferral and reg fees are non refundable, ie, one would have to pay again to register for 2013. You are right though, depending on how many athletes do defer, it will make it that many less spots for 2013, yet another cluster. Btw, great family photo you posted!

ugh.  Somehow this is not going to be good for me  I would take one of those empty spots this year though!!!  I am still qualified!!!!!

Thanks for all the food advice!  I see some that may work and will have to try.  Kim, I am using a 50/50 mix of gatorade on the bike.  It is not too sweet and adds some calories.  It also helps with the plastic water bottle taste.

2012-04-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4150698

User image

Veteran

kt65 - 2012-04-14 4:10 PM

Agree - this is silly...  no refund for this year's registration if you defer and oh BTW you have to be here to pick up your bib to defer (i.e... already paid to travel this year) and oh BTW you get to pay for all that again next year if you chose to defer.

With exception of charity runners, the average BQ'r is a seasoned runner who should be able to adapt and overcome the heat.  It's a big price to pay in hopes of perfect race day weather next year. Time to make some lemonade people!

2012-04-14 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
2012-04-14 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4150121

User image

Expert
Noosa
ecozenmama - 2012-04-14 11:00 PM

It was part of it.  That and we went through an adjustment period around that time when we found out our daughter has special needs.  I took some time off to learn about therapy's, deal with the school district, etc.  Now that I think we have a pretty great routine down with her speech, OT, food therapy, insert name of therapy here, I am getting back on track.  

It was a trying year, but it was worth the effort of course, but now it's time for me to keep myself from going insane again! LOL  

Sounds like a tough time, you know I was only joking right??? Don't take anything we say on here too seriously, we're all supporting each other and love to see people getting out there and doing it despite all the other things going on in our lives!

I've got 3 kids too, I was a zombie when they were babies, I just need my sleep!

See if you can post a pic of "The Tank", I love that name for him!

P.S. I was expecting Kyla to come back at me for that "no excuse" comment, must be too chilled out in Hawaii
2012-04-14 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4150669

User image

Master
Maryland
kt65 - 2012-04-14 3:45 PM

tricrazy - 2012-04-14 12:01 PM So, I just heard they are offering deferrals to 2013 Boston Marathon for this year's runners due to the warm temperatures expected Monday.  If this is true, what is your opinion?  I personally think it is pretty crappy as it will (or at the very least can) affect people trying to qualify for next year.  The weather you get at a marathon is a crap shoot, sometimes it is great and sometimes it isn't.   What says the MG?

Rachel, this is the first I've heard of this.  I couldn't get a deferral for being injured, I actually think high of 80's is not unreasonably high, personally, and I really don't like running in the heat.

I'm not sure that's very fair especially as I think there are a bunch of people who got locked out who would still be running this race even with temps as they are.  Adjusting hydration and race plan for weather is part of the deal of running races.  I know if I were there, I'd still be running regardless of the weather...And most people running Boston are experienced runners, so I really don't get it.  My 2 cents.

I agree with Kim. I too have been injured and I can't get a deferreal for Boston this year but if I traveled to Boston this weekend I'd run the race in the heat like any other race I have done and I'd be so happy to do it. I'm sure there are a lot of experienced runners who would have liked to take the places of the deferrals who decide not to run Monday.

2012-04-14 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4150762

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Terps421 - 2012-04-14 4:03 PM
kt65 - 2012-04-14 3:45 PM

I agree with Kim. I too have been injured and I can't get a deferreal for Boston this year but if I traveled to Boston this weekend I'd run the race in the heat like any other race I have done and I'd be so happy to do it. I'm sure there are a lot of experienced runners who would have liked to take the places of the deferrals who decide not to run Monday.

I thought the BAA did away with all deferrals.  The deferral for mid 80s if crap.  Kim and I did the MOO Marathon in 86F and I know Fatty suffered bigtime with temps in the 100s.  It's a right of passage. Slow down if you're overheated!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  

of 191