BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-09-12 12:30 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Gretchen, I can't wait to hear about your Oly! So glad it went well!

I did not make it to practice Saturday. Planning on going tomorrow evening instead. I was feeling sore and decided to take a rest day. Ran 6.5 miles this afternoon. My longest run in a very long time, and it felt great. It was raining a little in the beginning...spitting really, so not horrible, and by the end it had stopped.

Good call about taking a rest day.
Nice about the longer run

2022-09-12 12:31 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I went to Masters this morning and there was no one there (?) so I went to plan B and hit the Y with a good swim and then rode with my daughter for a while then hammered about 15 miles at Oly pace.  Really solid day.  I'm sure Nicole will tell me why no one was there LOL.  

Good day indeed!
2022-09-12 12:32 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Life somewhat got in the way over the weekend. A long day watching race cars on Saturday, so no evening ride then. Followed by a 60 minute run, rather than 90 so I could be done about 6:45am, in time to feed the midgets and give Mrs Bullfrog a bit of a sleep in.

Ended up with a slight cutback week.
3 Bikes, 2 hours
4 runs, 2 hours

Still 3 bikes and 4 runs, more than a few weeks back
2022-09-12 12:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
No Training for me this weekend as I am taking 2 weeks off before I start again.

Did go for a swim yesterday mind you but no training, no watch, just enjoying having the lake/beach to myself. Not cold yet, about 16C. Very comfortable with a wetsuit on.

Then I played a round of golf with my son who only just started playing and the little ****** beat me by one stroke. Not that I care too much, I know I suck at golf. It was great doing something with him.

Have a great week!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-09-12 12:43 AM
2022-09-12 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I went to Masters this morning and there was no one there (?) so I went to plan B and hit the Y with a good swim and then rode with my daughter for a while then hammered about 15 miles at Oly pace.  Really solid day.  I'm sure Nicole will tell me why no one was there LOL.  

They were outside! They're outside Saturdays as long as the outdoor pool is open (7:30-9:30), so this or next week I think are the last week they are out there, then they're back inside from 7-9am.

Ahhh...7:30.  That explains it.  I was there at 7 as per the schedule. And as usual the Merritt people (front desk and lifeguard) knew NOTHING.  Oh well I needed to roll around 8:30 anyway so probably better I got my own swim in.

2022-09-12 7:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

They were outside! They're outside Saturdays as long as the outdoor pool is open (7:30-9:30), so this or next week I think are the last week they are out there, then they're back inside from 7-9am.

Ahhh...7:30.  That explains it.  I was there at 7 as per the schedule. And as usual the Merritt people (front desk and lifeguard) knew NOTHING.  Oh well I needed to roll around 8:30 anyway so probably better I got my own swim in.

Yeah they're pretty useless. Most weeks the first half hour of practice is putting the lane lines in b/c they couldn't be bothered the night before.

I'm going tonight unless it's storming. I'm in Atlantic City this weekend so will probably miss both Friday and Saturday. Your tri is the 24th, right? Or is it this weekend?

2022-09-12 7:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Non-SBR victory...I was SO productive yesterday. I meal planned, cleaned my house (it looks so amazing...just got a Roomba and I'm definitely obsessed), did laundry, made a new running playlist. I needed a day to just get sh*t done. Oh and the Ravens won (sorry not sorry, Gretchen, you're gonna have to tolerate us!).
2022-09-12 9:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Non-SBR victory...I was SO productive yesterday. I meal planned, cleaned my house (it looks so amazing...just got a Roomba and I'm definitely obsessed), did laundry, made a new running playlist. I needed a day to just get sh*t done. Oh and the Ravens won (sorry not sorry, Gretchen, you're gonna have to tolerate us!).

Is that a new PR in cleaning the house?

2022-09-12 5:50 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

No Training for me this weekend as I am taking 2 weeks off before I start again.

Did go for a swim yesterday mind you but no training, no watch, just enjoying having the lake/beach to myself. Not cold yet, about 16C. Very comfortable with a wetsuit on.

Then I played a round of golf with my son who only just started playing and the little ****** beat me by one stroke. Not that I care too much, I know I suck at golf. It was great doing something with him.

Have a great week!

Enjoy the fortnight off

That's cool that you're able to play with your son, that's something I'm definitely looking forwards too. Actually one of the reasons I chose the race I did for next summer, is they have brought back the "Iron Kids" fun run, I'm looking forwards to going on some training runs with the little bugger over summer. At least I don't have to worry about him beating me yet
2022-09-12 5:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
60 minute Z2 ride on zwift Monday night for me. That's the first ride >60 minutes since the half Ironman in January. I knew I had been slack over winter but didn't realise it had been that bad. Embarrassing. And a short run this morning.

Little steps.
2022-09-12 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  way to rock the Oly!!  We're still waiting on a race report...

@Nicole:  Yes, the 24th...I'll be at Masters then that's it until mid-October for me as I taper then we'll be out of town a couple of weeks.

@Andrew:  Drops in the bucket (one of my favorite metaphors)...they all matter.  Soon you'll be riding outside again and the longer rides will come along.

@Nathalie:  Yes, it's a humble pie when the little sh!ts  angels beat us. 

Hope you all are having a good start to the week.  I have some shorter hard efforts and a couple of open water swims planned.  Our weather is finally turning to fall-ish.   Water temps are still around 80 here so I need them to drop some in the next 12 days so my swim is wetsuit legal.  IM Maryland is this weekend and it's looking iffy for wetsuits there so that would be a mess for people expecting them.  I'll be fine without one, just slower. 

2022-09-13 12:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Have a great week!

Enjoy the fortnight off

That's cool that you're able to play with your son, that's something I'm definitely looking forwards too. Actually one of the reasons I chose the race I did for next summer, is they have brought back the "Iron Kids" fun run, I'm looking forwards to going on some training runs with the little bugger over summer. At least I don't have to worry about him beating me yet

It’s especially cool because for the last 2 or 3 years, he’s hardly spoken to me, arguing that we have no common interests and he doesn’t like “small talk” anyway (teenagers can be awkward, brace yourself). Since he (re)discovered golf, we have something to talk about and do together.

Hope your son enjoys the run!
2022-09-13 5:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Water temps are still around 80 here so I need them to drop some in the next 12 days so my swim is wetsuit legal.  IM Maryland is this weekend and it's looking iffy for wetsuits there so that would be a mess for people expecting them.  I'll be fine without one, just slower. 

Yes, for an oly in that warm water, you'll be fine without a suit. You'd be slower but that's the same for everyone, and you'd have a faster T1 (unless it's windy and you have trouble spreading out your picnic blanket )

2022-09-13 8:21 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Oh...I know! This little thing called my job got in the way yesterday.

Actually, it was my job, plus life, plus my Covid booster. Yesterday, which I think was Monday, was a long day. I had a planned rest day after the Oly on Sunday. I had a super busy day at work, then came home and mowed the jungle that grew up in the place of my lawn over the weekend...how does that happen so quickly?!?!?! Anyway, in between, I got my fourth Covid shot, in advance of my trip to Egypt next month (eep!!--if all goes to schedule, I should leave one month from today!). Ummm...that was awful! First, the nurse was intent on administering the dose into my bone, or at least that is what it felt like with the depth of that needle. My arm was sore almost immediately. It kept getting worse throughout the evening and by this morning, it is so sore I couldn't even lift it when I got out of bed. I had planned to go to masters this morning for a swim, but not with that arm. I also woke up about 3am with what might be the worst headache I've ever had, and remember I had a (benign) tumor in 2019, so I've had some headaches! It feels like someone has inserted ice picks into my head and is shoving them out my eyes all while shining the brightest light known to man (which they borrowed from my neighbor's patio) into my eyes from 3" away. At 3am I had my eyes closed and was telling my wife to turn off the light because it was bothering me. She was super confused. It was pitch black in our bedroom. This new vaccine booster is no joke--I do not recommend getting it if you have anything to do the next day.
2022-09-13 8:22 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Have a great week!

Enjoy the fortnight off

If he could beat you already, you may have a future Olympian on your hands...so there are worse things
2022-09-13 8:45 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

If you like the Roomba, you should check out the Narwhal--like a roomba, but it mops too! We got one over the summer and it is a game changer in terms of keeping the dog hair and tracked dirt under control!

2022-09-13 8:53 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

If he could beat you already, you may have a future Olympian on your hands...so there are worse things

Well, he is quite good for a beginner (well, he did learn as a kid, so not totally a newbie) but I really (really) suck at golf so beating me is not much of an achievement.
2022-09-13 8:54 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

If you like the Roomba, you should check out the Narwhal--like a roomba, but it mops too! We got one over the summer and it is a game changer in terms of keeping the dog hair and tracked dirt under control!

oh! things are getting hot here
2022-09-13 9:09 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, how are you feeling today? How is your arm? That sounds just awful!

Mike, I'm in AC this weekend so I will see you maybe when you're back in October! I have a bunch of travel coming up in October/November so likely won't be around too much myself soon.

2022-09-13 9:13 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Really busy day yesterday. I woke up and finished my laundry, worked all day, did a 30 minute Peloton ride in the afternoon, then went to Masters practice since I'm missing this weekend. It was storming so I wasn't sure they would have it but luckily the weather got better and we got in a killer workout. Main set was 14 100s on 2:15 (fast with lots of rest). Last one we did off the blocks.

Had a late vball match to round out the night. First indoor game since before COVID. It was fun and really nice to be back on the court. I love beach, but it's nice to remember I can actually jump kind of high.

Taking a rest day today, as my watch is telling me I need 38 more hours of rest...gonna do some yoga later.
2022-09-13 9:21 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Oh...I know! This little thing called my job got in the way yesterday.

Actually, it was my job, plus life, plus my Covid booster. Yesterday, which I think was Monday, was a long day. I had a planned rest day after the Oly on Sunday. I had a super busy day at work, then came home and mowed the jungle that grew up in the place of my lawn over the weekend...how does that happen so quickly?!?!?! Anyway, in between, I got my fourth Covid shot, in advance of my trip to Egypt next month (eep!!--if all goes to schedule, I should leave one month from today!). Ummm...that was awful! First, the nurse was intent on administering the dose into my bone, or at least that is what it felt like with the depth of that needle. My arm was sore almost immediately. It kept getting worse throughout the evening and by this morning, it is so sore I couldn't even lift it when I got out of bed. I had planned to go to masters this morning for a swim, but not with that arm. I also woke up about 3am with what might be the worst headache I've ever had, and remember I had a (benign) tumor in 2019, so I've had some headaches! It feels like someone has inserted ice picks into my head and is shoving them out my eyes all while shining the brightest light known to man (which they borrowed from my neighbor's patio) into my eyes from 3" away. At 3am I had my eyes closed and was telling my wife to turn off the light because it was bothering me. She was super confused. It was pitch black in our bedroom. This new vaccine booster is no joke--I do not recommend getting it if you have anything to do the next day.

Sorry to hear that. Are you Ok now?

2022-09-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  sorry to hear about your booster reaction - my wife got the new one and just had a sore arm for a day or so...no other side effects.  I'm going to get mine in October when I get my flu shot.

@Nicole:  I used to be able to jump, too!  Not anymore LOL and the landing part hurts. 

6 AM bike warmup then a 5K with some hill repeats at VO2 max pace...I only did a couple so they didn't bury me.  I feel like I'm starting to get my running legs back under me.  Going to head down to the river and get in an OWS tomorrow morning.  And practice my picnics transitions. 

2022-09-13 12:13 PM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Expert
Hello BDASers! My name is David Qua and for those of you who don’t know me I joined the BDAS back in 2012 when it was Big DH’s Accountability Society. It took nearly the whole year, but by October or November of that year we would become the beer drinkers accountability society – the group you have now and I hope for everyone’s sake that it’s going well because I really need its help and in a big way.

Folks, here’s my problem: I feel like absolute crap. Every day it feels like I have a case of the flu due to the severity of my sleep apnea and on most days my nausea from being so tired gets so bad I end up in bed and smoking cannabis to help keep everything down. The sleep apnea is so bad because there is not a minute that goes by during the night when my breathing doesn’t stop at least once every 90 seconds by my tongue being in the wrong place at the wrong time. So needless to say, I am not getting very good sleep at all and as a result I am waking up completely exhausted and I’m so tired that it’s causing me to feel so bad that exercise is often out of the question no matter how much I feel the need or desire to go. The sleep apnea has a profound effect on my performance at work and at home where I make simple mistakes and have to fight my ADHD like Sean Connery in The Untouchables (they pull a knife, you use your gun. They shoot one of your guys, you send one of theirs to the morgue - it’s close but you get the point) because my impulse control is so bad that is due to the lack of good quality sleep.

So, here’s what I’ve been battling. For the last several months I have been trying without any luck to get going on the bike (my only viable option because of availability and my excessive weight (can’t even walk naturally due to plantar fasciitis, but the most I can really count on getting out each week is just one day where I feel good enough to get off the couch and get out the door. I’m gonna try swimming this week or next but it’s probably going to be the same thing. I just don’t feel good enough to get out there and build an exercise regimen and sustain it. And so I have to resort to diet if I’m going to get down to my magic number.

The magic number for me is 247 pounds because that is the number I have to reach in order to qualify and be in the proper weight range to get the Aspire breathing device installed in my neck which sends electrical shock waves to my tongue to keep it out of the way when I’m asleep. My doctors tell me I should get a 25 to 55% improvement in my symptoms with this. So other than losing weight over time, that is literally the only thing I’ve got on the table – with the exception of a night mouth guard that’s coming in a few weeks which might help a little. So I must get down to 247 pounds.

So I’m coming back to the BDAS for the accountability. Right now I need help with my diet and eating the right things not only during the day but at night as well. I don’t know how it’s gonna work but I think I need to make agreements with you guys individually on the page maybe because if I make up my promise to you then maybe I can stop myself from eating at night because my word and my integrity is important to me and maybe that will help. I’m not sure. We can talk about it. But what I am doing now isn’t working because in the first three weeks after they told me what I needed to do to get the electrode, which was to lose 15 pounds, I went out and lost 12 in three weeks. But then life returned to normal, or the summer ended, and the eating commenced and I’m now back nine pounds heavier And I’m stepping on the scale at 2:59 when the magic number is 247. So I have 12 pounds to lose in order finally feel better. And that is why I am back. Please help me.

And here One more good reason to lose weight Dash if I lose 2 1/2 pounds a week between now and my wedding date on April 28 of next year I should be around my optimal weight of 170, which will not only make me look good for the wedding, but establish a president that I want to be more active into my 90’s.

i’ll try to spend a little bit of time working on my bio a little later during my shift and when I get home, but I look forward to seeing how you guys are doing. Thanks for letting me back in and I wish everybody a good day.
2022-09-13 12:59 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Hello BDASers! My name is David Qua and for those of you who don’t know me I joined the BDAS back in 2012 when it was Big DH’s Accountability Society. It took nearly the whole year, but by October or November of that year we would become the beer drinkers accountability society – the group you have now and I hope for everyone’s sake that it’s going well because I really need its help and in a big way.

Folks, here’s my problem: I feel like absolute crap. Every day it feels like I have a case of the flu due to the severity of my sleep apnea and on most days my nausea from being so tired gets so bad I end up in bed and smoking cannabis to help keep everything down. The sleep apnea is so bad because there is not a minute that goes by during the night when my breathing doesn’t stop at least once every 90 seconds by my tongue being in the wrong place at the wrong time. So needless to say, I am not getting very good sleep at all and as a result I am waking up completely exhausted and I’m so tired that it’s causing me to feel so bad that exercise is often out of the question no matter how much I feel the need or desire to go. The sleep apnea has a profound effect on my performance at work and at home where I make simple mistakes and have to fight my ADHD like Sean Connery in The Untouchables (they pull a knife, you use your gun. They shoot one of your guys, you send one of theirs to the morgue - it’s close but you get the point) because my impulse control is so bad that is due to the lack of good quality sleep.

So, here’s what I’ve been battling. For the last several months I have been trying without any luck to get going on the bike (my only viable option because of availability and my excessive weight (can’t even walk naturally due to plantar fasciitis, but the most I can really count on getting out each week is just one day where I feel good enough to get off the couch and get out the door. I’m gonna try swimming this week or next but it’s probably going to be the same thing. I just don’t feel good enough to get out there and build an exercise regimen and sustain it. And so I have to resort to diet if I’m going to get down to my magic number.

The magic number for me is 247 pounds because that is the number I have to reach in order to qualify and be in the proper weight range to get the Aspire breathing device installed in my neck which sends electrical shock waves to my tongue to keep it out of the way when I’m asleep. My doctors tell me I should get a 25 to 55% improvement in my symptoms with this. So other than losing weight over time, that is literally the only thing I’ve got on the table – with the exception of a night mouth guard that’s coming in a few weeks which might help a little. So I must get down to 247 pounds.

So I’m coming back to the BDAS for the accountability. Right now I need help with my diet and eating the right things not only during the day but at night as well. I don’t know how it’s gonna work but I think I need to make agreements with you guys individually on the page maybe because if I make up my promise to you then maybe I can stop myself from eating at night because my word and my integrity is important to me and maybe that will help. I’m not sure. We can talk about it. But what I am doing now isn’t working because in the first three weeks after they told me what I needed to do to get the electrode, which was to lose 15 pounds, I went out and lost 12 in three weeks. But then life returned to normal, or the summer ended, and the eating commenced and I’m now back nine pounds heavier And I’m stepping on the scale at 2:59 when the magic number is 247. So I have 12 pounds to lose in order finally feel better. And that is why I am back. Please help me.

And here One more good reason to lose weight Dash if I lose 2 1/2 pounds a week between now and my wedding date on April 28 of next year I should be around my optimal weight of 170, which will not only make me look good for the wedding, but establish a president that I want to be more active into my 90’s.

i’ll try to spend a little bit of time working on my bio a little later during my shift and when I get home, but I look forward to seeing how you guys are doing. Thanks for letting me back in and I wish everybody a good day.

Dave! Great to see you man! Sorry to hear about your struggles, but you can count on us to hold you accountable and help in any way we can. Have you considered getting a CPAP machine? I've never had sleep apnea, but my FIL has one and he said it helps a lot. Like, in a life changing way.
2022-09-13 2:05 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I finally wrote a race report! It isn't as long as my MiTi report, but then, neither was the race!

https://saluki-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/gdabbs_siu_edu/Eeiz1...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43