Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-05-10 3:42 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Still going strong Gretchen! where is everybody else though?

Hi Guys, sorry for the radio silence, I am still here, still training and still keeping an eye on you all.

I have just been super busy at work the last few days. Long story short I had to get a CAD model and a bunch of drawings that are not due till August complete enough for an unexpected meeting this week. So it's been a bit of a race. The good news is we solved the design crisis, and everybody left the meeting happy. So back into 'still busy, but not manic' mode in the office

Training wise I've been going OK. The plan was to make this week a rest week, but by last weekend I was shattered so had an easy weekend, followed by an easy first half of this week. Still having the same rest period, just split across 2 calendar weeks instead of 1 (Friday-Thursday rest week, not Mon-Sun)

So far this week I've done a 30min interval ride on zwift, a 30 min easy run and a 45min sweet spot ride.

Tonight I'm looking for 45-60 min easy run (duration to depend on how energetic I feel) and back into normal load Friday (30'swim + 90' ride)

Weight continues to drop slowly and steadily. Down about 29lbs since the high point last year, the lowest since May 2021. Making those gains.

2023-05-10 4:04 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Gretchen. Awesome job as always getting your workouts in. The rate your churning them out you're going to take hours off your next 104.6 time.

@Nathalie. Nice that you enjoyed your family time in France. There are times we need to focus on food, and times we should just relax. A family reunion in France sounds like a time to relax, be sociable and just have a good time.

Re: Brick workouts. I really think it depends on what the purpose of the workout is. Bricks can be used for quite different things. If you're just wanting to practice the run after bike transition then 10-15 minutes running is probably sufficient. The various training literature I've read all say it takes around 5-6 minutes for the legs to adjust. Don't confuse the bike/run transition with fatuige. After your 60 minute ride you're starting the run already fatigued so the legs will feel slow and heavy. But that's a different slow and heavy to the spinning in circles-running change you're training. Now if you're Gretchen (or myself in 4-5m Months) doing Ironman training the long brick (3hr+ ride, followed by 60min + run) is more about race simulation, and for those ones absolutely you have to go for a longer run.

Most of the time though, I think keep it short. Because of the fatuige from the ride you don't get a great run workout when you brick it. So I tend to believe it's better to keep runs and bike seperate. Otherwise you end up sacrificing the quality of your workout. And when you're focusing on shorter Tris, quality, and hitting those interval zones is important.
2023-05-11 12:03 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
60' Z2 ride this morning, followed by a 45' interval brick run. Ride was fine--what can you say about a Z2 ride? Run was really good. Happy with where I was at in terms of brick (although my T1 time was ~7'--pretty standard for me, actually!) with the legs feeling good off the bike and the intervals were fast and felt good--not too awful, not too easy. Run should have been 36', but I was having so much fun I forgot to turn around at the correct spot...and actually, not only did I forget to turn around at what I thought was the halfway point, I hadn't looked at the workout properly and had the halfway point in the wrong spot all together. I should have turned around about 5' before I did. Oh well! TP gave me a yellow mark for my workout though...I try so hard for solid greens every week. Alas...chalk this one up to multiple lapses of attention!
2023-05-12 12:50 AM
in reply to: #5285356

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30’ Z2 “run” (although…it is faster that I could do a Z2 run two years ago!)

Followed by 2500yds in the pool.

Later, during the quarter breaks of the footy game, I’ll do strength training.
2023-05-12 4:56 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Still going strong Gretchen! where is everybody else though?

Hi Guys, sorry for the radio silence, I am still here, still training and still keeping an eye on you all.

I have just been super busy at work the last few days. Long story short I had to get a CAD model and a bunch of drawings that are not due till August complete enough for an unexpected meeting this week. So it's been a bit of a race. The good news is we solved the design crisis, and everybody left the meeting happy. So back into 'still busy, but not manic' mode in the office

Training wise I've been going OK. The plan was to make this week a rest week, but by last weekend I was shattered so had an easy weekend, followed by an easy first half of this week. Still having the same rest period, just split across 2 calendar weeks instead of 1 (Friday-Thursday rest week, not Mon-Sun)

So far this week I've done a 30min interval ride on zwift, a 30 min easy run and a 45min sweet spot ride.

Tonight I'm looking for 45-60 min easy run (duration to depend on how energetic I feel) and back into normal load Friday (30'swim + 90' ride)

Weight continues to drop slowly and steadily. Down about 29lbs since the high point last year, the lowest since May 2021. Making those gains.

don't you hate it when work gets in the way of training?

Well done on the weight loss so far!
2023-05-12 5:03 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nathalie. Nice that you enjoyed your family time in France. There are times we need to focus on food, and times we should just relax. A family reunion in France sounds like a time to relax, be sociable and just have a good time.

It was nice to let go a little and not worry about overeating or not training actually, especially as I was able to get back into it on my return.

Re: Brick workouts. I really think it depends on what the purpose of the workout is. Bricks can be used for quite different things. If you're just wanting to practice the run after bike transition then 10-15 minutes running is probably sufficient. The various training literature I've read all say it takes around 5-6 minutes for the legs to adjust. Don't confuse the bike/run transition with fatuige. After your 60 minute ride you're starting the run already fatigued so the legs will feel slow and heavy. But that's a different slow and heavy to the spinning in circles-running change you're training. Now if you're Gretchen (or myself in 4-5m Months) doing Ironman training the long brick (3hr+ ride, followed by 60min + run) is more about race simulation, and for those ones absolutely you have to go for a longer run.

Most of the time though, I think keep it short. Because of the fatuige from the ride you don't get a great run workout when you brick it. So I tend to believe it's better to keep runs and bike seperate. Otherwise you end up sacrificing the quality of your workout. And when you're focusing on shorter Tris, quality, and hitting those interval zones is important.

Good point. For me a brick is not a run workout straight after a bike workout. It's a short run after a ride to get the legs used to running after riding.

Long ride planned tomorrow, will do a short run off the bike after that.

Long run on Sunday but my running mate (the human one) has injury problems and is not sure she can join me. I hope she can as I can't run for almost 2 hours (18k) on my own. Too boring.

have a nice weekend BDAS!

2023-05-12 6:05 AM
in reply to: #5285372

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nathalie…AUDIOBOOK!! An absolute game changer for with with the long runs!
2023-05-12 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, folks.  Also some radio silence for the past week for me.  I had a team off-site (which was actually on-site at our HQ office in Connecticut, because we all work from home across the country LOL) which I helped plan and run plus we had several guest speakers, planned dinners and team building, blah, blah, blah...fun times but I'm exhausted and also didn't sleep well at the hotel.  This was a planned recovery week so just a couple of short workouts so far but I'll get in a little more TSS this weekend, then next week is my biggest week in the plan.  Back is still meh but I got in 3.5 miles on the treadmill in 45 minutes run-walking so I think I'll be OK to do the run.

@Gretchen:  the machine churns on - nice work suffering through two miles in the pool - I have one of those coming up; also agree with Andrew that you're going to get a little pace bump in your IM

@Nathalie:  glad you had a great time with your family and no worries on fun-time food and drink intake

@Andrew:  glad you're still plowing through the workouts during tough work times - it takes some real mental toughness to do that which will help with racing

Never tried an audio book while running, not my jam.  I also don't run to music either as I enjoy the sights and sounds while running outdoors.  Treadmills are a little different as there is usually something going on around me to distract the hamster on the wheel. 

Hope you all had a great week - happy Friday!

2023-05-12 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Re: Brick workouts. I really think it depends on what the purpose of the workout is. Bricks can be used for quite different things. If you're just wanting to practice the run after bike transition then 10-15 minutes running is probably sufficient. The various training literature I've read all say it takes around 5-6 minutes for the legs to adjust. Don't confuse the bike/run transition with fatuige. After your 60 minute ride you're starting the run already fatigued so the legs will feel slow and heavy. But that's a different slow and heavy to the spinning in circles-running change you're training. Now if you're Gretchen (or myself in 4-5m Months) doing Ironman training the long brick (3hr+ ride, followed by 60min + run) is more about race simulation, and for those ones absolutely you have to go for a longer run. Most of the time though, I think keep it short. Because of the fatuige from the ride you don't get a great run workout when you brick it. So I tend to believe it's better to keep runs and bike seperate. Otherwise you end up sacrificing the quality of your workout. And when you're focusing on shorter Tris, quality, and hitting those interval zones is important.

Great post...100% agrees with my reading and personal experience.

2023-05-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone! Sorry for the radio silence from me as well. Work has been really crazy and I'm doing that 'stretching too thin' thing again where I try to do all the things and just end up tired.

Last weekend I was also a bit sick. Was feeling really tired, took a nap, and when I woke up I had a low grade fever, chills, and was so weak I couldn't stand while doing a COVID test. Had to lay in my bed while I did it. It was negative. I went back to sleep a little after and slept for 11 more hours, woke up feeling totally fine.
I was still a bit off all week though. Not much of an appetite, working out was difficult. I'm finally back to normal, but it was not pleasant.

I also tried swimming last Saturday and had a horrible pain in my shoulder, different than my normal, typical pain. I only swam about 500 yds and decided not to push it. Gonna try again tomorrow to see if it feels any better.
2023-05-12 11:40 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, congrats on the weight loss! That's incredible, keep it up!

Nathalie, I've listened to podcasts while running before. Definitely helps the time pass, though I find I run slower with a podcast vs. with music. I can't run in silence, I need a distraction or I just think about how I feel and will talk myself into stopping.

2023-05-12 11:44 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh and I did a thing...

The people I ran the Ragnar with a few years ago are doing the black loop in Tahoe in July. Someone got hurt and they need another person...I agreed to it, even though I have definitely NOT been training enough for it. It's about 2 months away. So the distance training starts again.

For those that don't know what this means, basically on Saturday, I will run 3 different trails with a partner, totaling 15.5 miles and about 4k ft in elevation.
The next day we come back and do one giant loop totaling about the same amount in mileage and elevation...

Yeah so I'm going to die. Nice knowing yall!
2023-05-12 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Oh and I did a thing... The people I ran the Ragnar with a few years ago are doing the black loop in Tahoe in July. Someone got hurt and they need another person...I agreed to it, even though I have definitely NOT been training enough for it. It's about 2 months away. So the distance training starts again. For those that don't know what this means, basically on Saturday, I will run 3 different trails with a partner, totaling 15.5 miles and about 4k ft in elevation. The next day we come back and do one giant loop totaling about the same amount in mileage and elevation... Yeah so I'm going to die. Nice knowing yall!

OMG you're nuts. 

2023-05-13 8:21 AM
in reply to: #5285379

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2:30 on the bike, with another flat midway through. I ran across the street to the gym and finished the last 90’ on a recumbent, guessing what “level” equates to my training zones. Probably did the hard stuff too hard and the easy stuff too easy, to be honest.

Have to get my bike squared away. Came home from a party last night and signed myself up for all three races (oly and super sprint on Fri ; sprint on sat) at the Somabay endurance festival in two weeks. Did the flights and hotel too…didn’t get to bed until 2am. Stone cold sober too—I think I might just be crazy.
2023-05-14 2:41 AM
in reply to: #5285388

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:30 Z2 run this morning, followed by 2000yd swim. Both went well, actually better than I was expecting. Yesterday’s ride left my hamstrings cramping, so I had low expectations for today’s run, but overall, it was ok.
2023-05-14 5:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Mother's Day to you moms out there!

Had a hard day yesterday with a really hard spin class then two miles on the treadmill holding a sub-12 run/walk pace.  Mission accomplished.  Then did some light strength work and stretching...all-in a good morning.  The went electric go-kart racing which was physically harder than the strength training LOL.  Day off today then a big 12 days or so before taper starts. 

@Gretchen:  three races in 24 hours?  Meh just another day in your world. 

2023-05-14 6:50 AM
in reply to: #5285393

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Let’s be real, Mike. It will be at least 27 hours. The sprint doesn’t start until 9am. :D

Happy Mother’s Day to the moms!!
2023-05-14 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Finished off my semi rest week pretty much as planned.

25 min swim and 90 min Z2 zwift ride on Friday. Saturday 60 min on the treadmill and Sunday, after mothers day commitments were done and dusted another 60 min Z2 on zwift.

totals for the week
S: x1, 1000m, 25min
B: x4, 3hr 45 (1int, 1 sweet spot, 2x Z2)
R: x3, 2hr. (All Z2 on treadmill)

SO I got my 6 or 7 days less volume rest period, but instead of a 1 7 hour week, and 1 5ish hour I have 2 6 hour weeks. My OCD numbers brain doesn't like that. Makes the training log graphs look all messed up.

This week I'm planning on taking another step up ladder. Should be around 5 hours for the week. And hopefully a decent long run with my running buddy on the weekend. Between both our kids commitments/Mothers day it will have been 4 weeks since the last one. Too long to miss out on the social aspect of this silly sport.
2023-05-14 4:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Oh and I did a thing...

The people I ran the Ragnar with a few years ago are doing the black loop in Tahoe in July. Someone got hurt and they need another person...I agreed to it, even though I have definitely NOT been training enough for it. It's about 2 months away. So the distance training starts again.

For those that don't know what this means, basically on Saturday, I will run 3 different trails with a partner, totaling 15.5 miles and about 4k ft in elevation.
The next day we come back and do one giant loop totaling about the same amount in mileage and elevation...

Yeah so I'm going to die. Nice knowing yall!

So you're trail running 31miles and 8,000+ feet elevation gain over 2 days? And you're giving yourself 2 months prep?

You are hardcore. Maybe a little nuts, but hardcore. That sounds like an awesome adventure. I look forwards to seeing how you go, and of course the epic trail running pics.

One day I'm going to do some trail running... I've been telling myself that for years.
2023-05-14 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove
Have to get my bike squared away. Came home from a party last night and signed myself up for all three races (oly and super sprint on Fri ; sprint on sat) at the Somabay endurance festival in two weeks. Did the flights and hotel too…didn’t get to bed until 2am. Stone cold sober too—I think I might just be crazy.

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound right? There's no point flying your bike down to do a sprint tri. So doing all 3 was really your only option.

That'll be a good test of your endurance, how the legs are feeling by the time the 3rd race rolls around. I had to google Somabay endurance festival. Looks like an awesome place to go have a tri adventure.

How did your coach react when you passed on the news you're going to help your 104.6 training by doing a series of hard and fast sprint tris?
2023-05-14 4:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Happy Mother's Day to you moms out there!

Had a hard day yesterday with a really hard spin class then two miles on the treadmill holding a sub-12 run/walk pace.  Mission accomplished.  Then did some light strength work and stretching...all-in a good morning.  The went electric go-kart racing which was physically harder than the strength training LOL.  Day off today then a big 12 days or so before taper starts. 

@Gretchen:  three races in 24 hours?  Meh just another day in your world. 

Good to see your back is behaving itself enough that your run/walk plan is progressing well.

Most important question though, did you win the go-kart racing?

2023-05-15 12:16 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

How did your coach react when you passed on the news you're going to help your 104.6 training by doing a series of hard and fast sprint tris?

HAHAHAHA!!!! I'M my coach...Coach is is pretty chuffed I'm back to doing really dumb, but fun stuff again.
2023-05-15 12:18 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Very nice, gentle 1200yds in the pool this morning for a "rest day". Maybe later I'll do some strength training...kinda depends on how my call to the bike shop goes--maybe have to take my bike down to the shop (a good 45' away from where I live by car). Hoping they have 1.) someone who speaks English (because my Arabic is terrible and generally doesn't include bike specific nouns) and 2.) a pickup/drop off service.
2023-05-15 4:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Very nice, gentle 1200yds in the pool this morning for a "rest day". Maybe later I'll do some strength training...kinda depends on how my call to the bike shop goes--maybe have to take my bike down to the shop (a good 45' away from where I live by car). Hoping they have 1.) someone who speaks English (because my Arabic is terrible and generally doesn't include bike specific nouns) and 2.) a pickup/drop off service.

There will be NO strength training today! I went to do a set of glute bridges and both hamstrings cramped so hard I was rolling on the floor in pain. I think my body is trying to tell me something!

Talked to the bike shop and not only do they offer pick up and delivery service, but they offer transport to the endurance festival next week (for a grand total of $21 they will transport bike to and from race venue and deliver it back to your house). They are coming to pick up my bike for service, so I think I will have them keep the bike and do the transport, getting the bike delivered back to me at my office, which is near my new apartment--that I move into the day after I return from the endurance festival. This is solving so many problems with one service!
2023-05-15 6:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Oh and I did a thing... The people I ran the Ragnar with a few years ago are doing the black loop in Tahoe in July. Someone got hurt and they need another person...I agreed to it, even though I have definitely NOT been training enough for it. It's about 2 months away. So the distance training starts again. For those that don't know what this means, basically on Saturday, I will run 3 different trails with a partner, totaling 15.5 miles and about 4k ft in elevation. The next day we come back and do one giant loop totaling about the same amount in mileage and elevation... Yeah so I'm going to die. Nice knowing yall!

OMG you're nuts. 

I am starting to realize this as well...
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland