Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-05-28 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1364089

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: RE: maggyruth's group-FULL UP!
Hey everyone! My 5K on Monday was a success!! I finished in 34:32! I was happy with that time! But, I just realized that my first tri is in 2 1/2 weeks. I am freaking out!! I can't believe it is so soon. It has always seemed so far away. I am very nervous! I still have not registered - I have until the end of the week. I don't know if I should register in my age group or as an Athena. Any opinions? Any advantages/disadvantages either way?
Also, is there anything I need to do to my bike before the race? I have only had it since Christmas (it was a surprise gift from my wonderful and extremely supportive husband!) and have only been riding it on the road for the past two months or so. Any maintenance, etc I should do or things to check??
Peggy - how did your practice tri go? Thanks for checking in on my logs - I concentrated on running last week since I had the 5K on Monday (and my pool was closed for maintenance) - this week back to all three!! I wish I could do the course before my first tri - but I don't know what the course is!!! The 5Ks I have done I have always run the course first - it makes me feel better somehow.
Hope everyone's training is coming along! Be strong!!

Karen

Edited by gadgetlaw 2008-05-28 1:43 PM

2008-05-31 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1428857

User image

Pro
Without house

gadgetlaw - 2008-05-28 1:40 PM Hey everyone! My 5K on Monday was a success!! I finished in 34:32! I was happy with that time! But, I just realized that my first tri is in 2 1/2 weeks. I am freaking out!! I can't believe it is so soon. It has always seemed so far away. I am very nervous! I still have not registered - I have until the end of the week. I don't know if I should register in my age group or as an Athena. Any opinions? Any advantages/disadvantages either way? Also, is there anything I need to do to my bike before the race? I have only had it since Christmas (it was a surprise gift from my wonderful and extremely supportive husband!) and have only been riding it on the road for the past two months or so. Any maintenance, etc I should do or things to check?? Peggy - how did your practice tri go? Thanks for checking in on my logs - I concentrated on running last week since I had the 5K on Monday (and my pool was closed for maintenance) - this week back to all three!! I wish I could do the course before my first tri - but I don't know what the course is!!! The 5Ks I have done I have always run the course first - it makes me feel better somehow. Hope everyone's training is coming along! Be strong!! Karen

Congratulations on you 5k, Karen!  Awesome job.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier...I hope you've registered for your race...Athena or age group...doesn't matter.  I generally go by what I will always race as (I will never be below Athena qualifying weight due to my height, so if the option is there, I register Athena).  You can always take you numbers and compare them to the final results for which ever group you didn't register for, just so you can see where you stand.

Have you had a tune up on you bike?  It would be wise to take it in to make sure everything is is working order, everything is tightened, etc and so forth.  Generally they recommend getting a tune up after the first 100-200 miles because then all the cables, etc have had a chance to stretch out. 

The psuedo-tri on Monday was a lot of fun... I was DFL but I fully expected that.  I have my first 'real' tri of the season tomorrow, and lots of my buds will be there...should be one rockin' party!

How's everyone doing?  I know we're busy...let's check in.  I personally have been down on the training front due to the fact that I'm packing and will finally be moving this coming Tuesday.  After that, it's Peggy Full-Throttle...I have an olympic at the end of June that I don't want to be uber-untrained for... 

2008-06-07 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hi all,

I had a great swim lesson this week. I really learned a lot in 30 minutes!! I was surprised!! And my first swim workout after, I was almost 15 seconds/100 yards faster!! Amazing!! I'm running my bike to the shop today to get checked over. I'm getting more nervous about my tri next weekend! There is a meeting for newbies on Friday evening before the race and I think I will go - it is about an hour away - but I want to see what they have to say!! Have a good week. Train hard!! Peggy - How was the "real" tri?
Karen

Edited by gadgetlaw 2008-06-07 7:01 AM
2008-06-07 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1451268

User image

Pro
Without house

gadgetlaw - 2008-06-07 7:00 AM Hi all, I had a great swim lesson this week. I really learned a lot in 30 minutes!! I was surprised!! And my first swim workout after, I was almost 15 seconds/100 yards faster!! Amazing!! I'm running my bike to the shop today to get checked over. I'm getting more nervous about my tri next weekend! There is a meeting for newbies on Friday evening before the race and I think I will go - it is about an hour away - but I want to see what they have to say!! Have a good week. Train hard!! Peggy - How was the "real" tri? Karen

Hi Karen!  I'm starting to think we're the only 2 around...hello!  Where is everyone?

My week was crazy busy...I closed on my house, moved, etc.  Hopefully I will now have more time on my hands to train and be here!

My first tri of the season went great.  I got a PR for a sprint course, so I was thrilled with that, and a lot of  my friends were there, which was even better.  The water was chilly, but the full wetsuit really helped in that area!

It's amazing what some lessons can do, isn't it?  I've had similar things happen when I've just made minor adjustments in all three areas...swimming, biking and running.

Doing your first tri is exciting!  Remember to smile and have fun, and thank the volunteers.  Going to race meetings is always beneficial.  I look forward to hearing how you do!

2008-06-11 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Okay, 3 days until my first tri!! I have been taking it easy this week. There is nothing in my logs, but I have been doing some easy stuff. I am off this week and for some reason, my computer at home does not like the logs and I can't get to that part of the sight so nothing is entered. I took my bike to the shop and they tightened the cable. Whatever that means!! But it is shifting smoothly now. I guess I am ready, just nervous and anxious! Wish me luck! I'll let you all knowhow it goes.
Karen
2008-06-11 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1460080

User image

Pro
Without house

gadgetlaw - 2008-06-11 1:17 PM Okay, 3 days until my first tri!! I have been taking it easy this week. There is nothing in my logs, but I have been doing some easy stuff. I am off this week and for some reason, my computer at home does not like the logs and I can't get to that part of the sight so nothing is entered. I took my bike to the shop and they tightened the cable. Whatever that means!! But it is shifting smoothly now. I guess I am ready, just nervous and anxious! Wish me luck! I'll let you all knowhow it goes. Karen

Awesome! We'll be rooting for you!  You'll do awesome. 

A tip...I do some deep breathing exercises before my wave goes off if I'm feeling anxious/nervous.  Actually, I do that before anything I find anxiety producing.  It really helps.

2008-06-24 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
I have been without computer access since my race, but am finally back! My first tri was totally awesome! I just posted my race report. I did much better than I expected, and cannot wait until I get to do it again!!

Karen
2008-06-25 9:58 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Hi ladies sorry for my absence but I'm back... I needed some away from the computer time.

Time has been flying and my first tri is less the 3 weeks away now so the nervousness is starting to set in. I'm not really so worried about this sprint, but the closeness of this race signals that my Oly tri is only 1 month after which I'm pretty scared of to be honest because I know it's going to be a challenge.

I need to get a wetsuit so I can get some OWS experience. I'm supposed to goto a clinic with the tri club next week in Lake Michigan and it's going to be reaaaaaally cold w/o a wetsuit!! I did get to try on a wetsuit the other day and the bottoms fit, but the seminar got canceled halfway through so we didn't get to swim (It started hail/raining)

Training is going okay...

How is everyone else?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » maggyruth's group-FULL UP! Rss Feed  

of 3