BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-01-04 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1885375

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Subject: RE: Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business

Sorry - here

How many of you triathletes out there are using this formula? Put up your hand and admit it - I can't see you through cyber space :-)

If I read one more message that says the athlete is using this formula, I am going off the DEEP END! People, this is not correct. It may work, but chances are very slim it will work for you. Of course the 15 people that it works for will post that it does work - but my point is that for the MAJORITY, this formula of 220-AGE = MAX Heart Rate - DOES NOT WORK!

Your best bet is to get some lab testing done to find out your Lactate Threshold. If you don't have access to a lab for whatever reason (location or $) don't fret. We have 'field' tests that you can do and the only thing you need is you, your Heart Rate Monitor and some 3 D's: Desire, Determination, and Discipline.

Field test for bike and run:

Determining Bike Training Zones

In biking we want to know our heart rate training zones. To make this as easy as possible, we will use a standard 30 minute TT. From this TT we will be able to determine the correct training zones. I do advocate doing both an inside and outside LT tests.

Bike test protocol for inside testing:

The warm-up is 15 minutes of cycling, moving through the different gears, always keeping the cadence above 90 RPMS. Do a few short sprints to get your heart rate up and ready for the test!

You should start out in a gear that you can maintain 90 RPMS in. Make sure you remember what gear you started in.

The 30 minute TT begins.

At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.

The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.

You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.

15 minutes easy cool down.

Example:

Johnny has an average of 156 heart rate for his 30 minute bike TT. If I calculate Johnny's zones using his LT and the Training Bible zones, this is what I come up with:

Zone 1 - 102-125

Zone 2 - 136-139

Zone 3 - 140-145

Zone 4 - 146- 155

Zone 5a - 156-159

Zone 5b - 160-164

Zone 5c - 165-170

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Determining Run Training Zones

In running we want to know our heart rate training zones as well. To make this as easy as possible, we will use a standard 30 minute TT. From this TT we will be able to determine the correct training zones. This is best if done on a flat uninterrupted path or trail.

Run test protocol:

After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone.

The 30 minute TT begins.

At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.

The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.

You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.

15 minutes easy cool down.

Example:

Johnny has an average of 156 heart rate for his 30 minute run TT. If I calculate Johnny's zones using his LT and the Training Bible zones, this is what I come up with:

Zone 1 - 102-125

Zone 2 - 136-139

Zone 3 - 140-145

Zone 4 - 146- 155

Zone 5a - 156-159

Zone 5b - 160-164

Zone 5c - 165-170

IF you want to compare my method of choice to other methods you can read this:

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/heartrate.html

IF you want to get educated on what the zones mean: http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/beinginthezone.html

&nbs... you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Train Smart, Train Right, and get fitter and faster. Isn't that the point?

Peace,

Mike

2009-01-04 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1885375

User image

Veteran
Seattle
vivmo - 2009-01-04 1:15 PM
Sprint_DA - 2009-01-04 12:00 PM

vivmo - 2009-01-04 8:04 AM Okay...two questions: how do I get the "Planned Training" function up on the log and is there any quick way to bring-up Gary's mentor group when I log in to BT? Thanks!

I believe that the planned training feature comes with some of the training plans, and the only way I can think of to bring up this thread when you log on to BT is to bookmark it and use the bookmark.

Thanks Dan.

Grady, apparently my membership is too low budget to let me look at that info. Are you getting a commission off upgrades?Wink

Keith,

As a Bronze member, like myself, we only have access to the Free Plans.  To get a plan into your training log, simply click on "(Import)" to the right of the plan title; I just imported the "Couch-to-5k Agressive" plan into my training log today.  Here is a link to the step by step instructions:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=416

Dave

2009-01-04 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1885467

User image

Champion
the colony texas

WOo woo.. looks like a busy day here,, sorry I was off line most of the day..

Once you find a program you would like to use just click on the import link, if you have another training plan in there it will overwrite it...  you can choose when importing it to have it start on a certain day or end on a certain day (race day)  you can also put your own stuff in,,, when you are in your training log, at the top of the page under those larger tabs (program, articles, races etc) there is one labeled calendar when you mouse over that (or click) it should give you choices such as planned training, actual training,,   if you click on the planned training your calendar comes up,, you can click on each day and manually enter what you want to do in that space.. this way if you are working with a coach, book or another internet plan you can still see things on your graph. ....

On your controll panel under your training log there is a tab for friends,, you can search for us and add us to your friends so it's easy to find us and drop a note or two...   

on my page I have everyones name and when you click on their name it takes you to their page,, I think I also have a hyperlink where it says training group that is really a bookmark for this thread....

ok gotta go again..

2009-01-04 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1885805

User image

Davenport, IA
Gaarryy - 2009-01-04 7:02 PM

Once you find a program you would like to use just click on the import link, if you have another training plan in there it will overwrite it...  you can choose when importing it to have it start on a certain day or end on a certain day (race day)  you can also put your own stuff in,,, when you are in your training log, at the top of the page under those larger tabs (program, articles, races etc) there is one labeled calendar when you mouse over that (or click) it should give you choices such as planned training, actual training,,   if you click on the planned training your calendar comes up,, you can click on each day and manually enter what you want to do in that space.. this way if you are working with a coach, book or another internet plan you can still see things on your graph. ....

On your controll panel under your training log there is a tab for friends,, you can search for us and add us to your friends so it's easy to find us and drop a note or two...   

on my page I have everyones name and when you click on their name it takes you to their page,, I think I also have a hyperlink where it says training group that is really a bookmark for this thread....

ok gotta go again..

I have this as well, and if anyone needs the code that makes it work I would be more than happy to PM it to you.

2009-01-04 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1866633

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Hey guys, I have a question for ya. So for a lot of days this month, my training time is going to be very limited, sometimes (and probably quite frequently) to only 20-30minutes for the run and bike. Does anybody have any ideas for workouts for that time period. I'm really trying to be efficient with my training. Here's my ideas so far.

Run: negative split (so I can w/u and increase intensity), pick-ups
Bike: spin-ups, gradually increasing resistance throughout

You guys have any others? Thanks!
2009-01-04 8:58 PM
in reply to: #1885940

User image

Champion
the colony texas

if you can get 30 min then with a 5 min on each side for a warm up/cool down it do some thing like I did tonight on the trainer.
5 min warm up
30 sec hard effort with 30 sec recovery
then try either like you said an increasing intensity for the main workout or go out around 75% of your max effort.

if running same idea an easy first few minutes warm up, maybe a couple "pick ups" for a couple minutes to get your body ready for a harder effort, then increasing intensity for the workout,, if you can make sure you get a 3-5 min easy cool down. But even running at a nice easy pace for that 30 min is ok, not all workouts need to be speed related to be good quality workouts,

if you are on a treadmill for these workouts vary the elevation some during the workout even.

and hey... Don't get into the mind set that since it's only a short workout it doesn't matter much.. I fall into that.. That thought creeps in that since I don't have 60, 90 or whatever time I "think" I need it's not a good workout, then think about blowing it off

btchance - 2009-01-04 8:32 PM Hey guys, I have a question for ya. So for a lot of days this month, my training time is going to be very limited, sometimes (and probably quite frequently) to only 20-30minutes for the run and bike. Does anybody have any ideas for workouts for that time period. I'm really trying to be efficient with my training. Here's my ideas so far. Run: negative split (so I can w/u and increase intensity), pick-ups Bike: spin-ups, gradually increasing resistance throughout You guys have any others? Thanks!

2009-01-04 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1885859

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Are you good at the coding stuff on here??? i'm definately not,, it usually takes me a couple of attempts to get it right..  

Sprint_DA - 2009-01-04 7:42 PM
Gaarryy - 2009-01-04 7:02 PM

ok gotta go again..

I have this as well, and if anyone needs the code that makes it work I would be more than happy to PM it to you.

2009-01-04 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1885399

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Ok lets do an activity type challenge then, since we all are following different plans with different rest days... Just post what your goal is for the rest of the month. 

so for me, I have 23 training days left this month (crap really , this is off season,, what type of plan did I pick, what was I thinking)  so my goal is to log at least 30min of something s/b/r each day.   Now yours doesn't have to be s/b/r  it can be walking, weights, a cardio class at the gym, skiing..etc.. see what I'm getting at... Just to do something, keep moving and of course logging your workouts. 

so pick the amount of days you want to log something for, and is a time limit min of 15min work with everyone plan??  

for more challanges, check out the challange thread.. I just thought this would be a nice way to start to inspire each other every day... 

2009-01-05 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1885985

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Gaarryy - 2009-01-04 9:08 PM

Ok lets do an activity type challenge then, since we all are following different plans with different rest days... Just post what your goal is for the rest of the month. 

so for me, I have 23 training days left this month (crap really , this is off season,, what type of plan did I pick, what was I thinking)  so my goal is to log at least 30min of something s/b/r each day.   Now yours doesn't have to be s/b/r  it can be walking, weights, a cardio class at the gym, skiing..etc.. see what I'm getting at... Just to do something, keep moving and of course logging your workouts. 

so pick the amount of days you want to log something for, and is a time limit min of 15min work with everyone plan??  

for more challanges, check out the challange thread.. I just thought this would be a nice way to start to inspire each other every day... 

Well mine is s/b/r at least 45 to one hour - I am working on more running the next 8 weeks with core workouts at least 4 times a week.

2009-01-05 7:55 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
I need to think about adding a plan back in, but I dislike the rigid structure of the plans.  I'll figure out how many more days I'll get in this month and get back to you.
2009-01-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1885985

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

I typically don't break mine down by day.  I look for a solid 10hrs for the week.  I also count my strength training as well as the s/b/r.

Have a great week everyone...

2009-01-05 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1886853

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Here is a link to creat your own training plan
2009-01-05 12:22 PM

User image

Regular

Ok...I just finished re-engineering the first two weeks of the 16 Week Olympic - 3x Balanced plan. I am dropping one of the bike rides but am going to see if this plan is a good fit to get me ready for the April 18 Exterra Memphis Oly. I will change the remaining 14 weeks of "planned" workouts after a two-week trial. I just need to make sure the scheduling works.

Thanks everyone for the guidance on setting-up the training plan and the other log stuff.

2009-01-05 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)

Well the first workout - it sucked - wew - just 2 months of down time and smack - I feel like I ran into a brick wall - the run at the gym - well I stopped after 7 minutes at 6 mph - my heart rate was 180 - so the building begins. 

PS - the good news is that my plantar in my right foot did not cause me any problems -

2009-01-05 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1887038

User image

Champion
the colony texas
gleser - 2009-01-05 12:48 PM

Well the first workout - it sucked - wew - just 2 months of down time and smack - I feel like I ran into a brick wall - the run at the gym - well I stopped after 7 minutes at 6 mph - my heart rate was 180 - so the building begins. 

PS - the good news is that my plantar in my right foot did not cause me any problems -

no foot injuries are a good thing,, and hey this last saturday i was thinking that my 5 or 6 trainer rides really helped to get better on the bike until I looked at a flag and notice that i was riding with the wind... but hey we all got to start somewhere

2009-01-05 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1885977

User image

Davenport, IA
Gaarryy - 2009-01-04 8:59 PM

Are you good at the coding stuff on here??? i'm definately not,, it usually takes me a couple of attempts to get it right..  

It took me a few tries, and it still isn't the way I'd prefer it to look, but I guess I'm ok with that kind of stuff.  What I have in my log was the end result of my first attempt.

2009-01-05 8:09 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Okay, for me in the challenge I want to workout for at minimum 20-30minutes for 21 days. That allows for one rest day a week and removing the days that I am on call for 24hrs straight. Really can't workout at work that well, excluding running to "baby is down" off and on throughout the day. That is a short interval, just without a warm-up.
2009-01-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1885976

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
thanks for the ideas there. I'm going to have to just play around with it. And at the end, you hit exactly on what part of my problem is - thinking that these short workouts don't matter. For me, at the end of 30minutes I finally feel like I am getting warmed up where I can actually work, but hey, I have to make every minute count.

Gaarryy - 2009-01-04 8:58 PM

if you can get 30 min then with a 5 min on each side for a warm up/cool down it do some thing like I did tonight on the trainer.
5 min warm up
30 sec hard effort with 30 sec recovery
then try either like you said an increasing intensity for the main workout or go out around 75% of your max effort.

if running same idea an easy first few minutes warm up, maybe a couple "pick ups" for a couple minutes to get your body ready for a harder effort, then increasing intensity for the workout,, if you can make sure you get a 3-5 min easy cool down. But even running at a nice easy pace for that 30 min is ok, not all workouts need to be speed related to be good quality workouts,

if you are on a treadmill for these workouts vary the elevation some during the workout even.

and hey... Don't get into the mind set that since it's only a short workout it doesn't matter much.. I fall into that.. That thought creeps in that since I don't have 60, 90 or whatever time I "think" I need it's not a good workout, then think about blowing it off

btchance - 2009-01-04 8:32 PM Hey guys, I have a question for ya. So for a lot of days this month, my training time is going to be very limited, sometimes (and probably quite frequently) to only 20-30minutes for the run and bike. Does anybody have any ideas for workouts for that time period. I'm really trying to be efficient with my training. Here's my ideas so far. Run: negative split (so I can w/u and increase intensity), pick-ups Bike: spin-ups, gradually increasing resistance throughout You guys have any others? Thanks!

2009-01-05 8:59 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Ok, goal is some variety of prolonged activity on 22 more days this month.
2009-01-06 1:57 AM
in reply to: #1888330

User image

Veteran
Seattle
22 training days until the end of January - I'm going to shoot for a minimum of 30 minutes per day with rest on Saturdays.  Need to hit the bike, pool or weights outside the Couch-to-5k Plan days.
2009-01-06 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Ok, sorry for the delay but got everyone in the Friends part in Control Panel - yes my Inspire quotes will be coming - tonight is the Biggest Loser - motivation to do this crazy thing called tri's

2009-01-06 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1889770

User image

Champion
the colony texas

gleser - 2009-01-06 1:18 PM Ok, sorry for the delay but got everyone in the Friends part in Control Panel - yes my Inspire quotes will be coming - tonight is the Biggest Loser - motivation to do this crazy thing called tri's

Really already,, didn't the last season just end... Last season was the only one i've watched since the Winner (woo woo ) and her mother both go to my church, when they got picked Julian came out of the audience to tell them, it doesn't seem that long ago, but it was... For some reason I just think it's cool to see the two of them walking around, knowing that many people were cheering for them.. they are both really great people

2009-01-06 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1889905

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Gaarryy - 2009-01-06 1:51 PM

gleser - 2009-01-06 1:18 PM Ok, sorry for the delay but got everyone in the Friends part in Control Panel - yes my Inspire quotes will be coming - tonight is the Biggest Loser - motivation to do this crazy thing called tri's

Really already,, didn't the last season just end... Last season was the only one i've watched since the Winner (woo woo ) and her mother both go to my church, when they got picked Julian came out of the audience to tell them, it doesn't seem that long ago, but it was... For some reason I just think it's cool to see the two of them walking around, knowing that many people were cheering for them.. they are both really great people

There is a new kid on the show that is the heaviest yet - 19 years old and like 400 plus pounds -

2009-01-06 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1889905

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Who did win the latest Biggest Loser?  That used to be the only show that I would try to make a point to watch.  Then I missed it for several weeks and totally lost interest.  It is very rare that I turn my TV on.  That's pretty cool that you know someone who was not only on the show but won!!!  I come from a family of obesity so I understand how these people get themselves into that situation and what a huge effort it is for them to turn their lives around.
2009-01-06 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1890661

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
The last year was Michelle - great winner - last season had some very evil women so - everyone was going for Michelle - this year should be very motivating since many of the contestants are very over weight.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  

of 13