General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2011-02-14 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3158883

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon : Official Thread
Yikes is right.  Suffered what I'm afraid might be a serious lower leg injury last Tuesday and have had to shut down completely.  Going to test it with a swim tonight and a run tomorrow...if it flares up, may be headed to the doctor.  Pretty bummed.

2011-02-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3354089

User image

Bscharff,

Read your race report...outstanding.

A few questions if you don't mind:

Appoximately ...What time did you get to the Commons? 
Is there an address? 
How did the traffic look around the area?  I will be having someone drop me off.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Uman
2011-02-14 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3354362

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
UMAN - 2011-02-14 12:35 PM Bscharff,

Read your race report...outstanding.

A few questions if you don't mind:

Appoximately ...What time did you get to the Commons? 
Is there an address? 
How did the traffic look around the area?  I will be having someone drop me off.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Uman

Thanks - fun time last year...

I believe that we got to the commons around 6:30am...  I think the shuttle buses started at 6am...  I would suggest getting there as early as possible... the lines were crazy long for the shuttles when we got on...  so all of those people were standing around on their feet for a long time waiting to get on a bus... i'd rather just get to the start area, sit down and chill out instead of being on my feet all that time...

The buses picked up on Park St. (between Beacon St. and Tremont St.) - east side of the Boston Commons...

I dont recall a lot of traffic when we walked over that morning...  However, I'm not sure what streets and when things get closed off...  Regardless, I would suspect that you shouldnt have any problems getting relatively close that morning...

If any other questions don't hesitate to ask... 
2011-02-14 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3354233

User image

Elite
san francisco
tcovert - 2011-02-14 9:36 AM Yikes is right.  Suffered what I'm afraid might be a serious lower leg injury last Tuesday and have had to shut down completely.  Going to test it with a swim tonight and a run tomorrow...if it flares up, may be headed to the doctor.  Pretty bummed.

Sorry about the injury, Todd!  Hope it just needs some rest and recovery.  

2011-02-15 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3355200

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
kt65 - 2011-02-14 7:51 PM
tcovert - 2011-02-14 9:36 AM Yikes is right.  Suffered what I'm afraid might be a serious lower leg injury last Tuesday and have had to shut down completely.  Going to test it with a swim tonight and a run tomorrow...if it flares up, may be headed to the doctor.  Pretty bummed.

x2 - hoping for a quick healing...!!!
2011-02-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3355007

User image

Thank you very much...I'll probably ping ya as race gets closer..once again thank you

2011-02-15 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3354233

User image

tcovert - 2011-02-14 12:36 PM Yikes is right.  Suffered what I'm afraid might be a serious lower leg injury last Tuesday and have had to shut down completely.  Going to test it with a swim tonight and a run tomorrow...if it flares up, may be headed to the doctor.  Pretty bummed.

Take it slow...and I hope there is nothing serious..hope all will be well
2011-02-15 12:40 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

just checkin in since i will be amongst all you crazy's out in beantown!!!

2011-02-15 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3355850

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
bscharff - 2011-02-15 7:29 AM

Thanks, guys.

After 72 hours of rest, then one brief swim last night, things were looking up...but I decided to test it with the foam roller last night and, honestly, it set me back a week.  I'm in as much or more pain now than the day of the original injury.  Saw a doc in my PCP's medical group today and she felt it was just a pull, but I'm wary...I've had lots of pulled muscles and this feels and is responding differently.  I'm taking the doc's advice to carry on with rest, ice, ibuprofen, stretching, but I'll call her back for an ortho referral if I get any more setbacks like today's.

Really bummed, but at least I was already at 35+ mpw and had an 18 mile long run in the books before the injury...I know I can shut down completely and still get through the race, as long as it doesn't turn out to be something serious (like compartment syndrome, which is what I'm concerned about).
2011-02-15 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3356641

User image

Elite
san francisco
tcovert - 2011-02-15 1:39 PM

Thanks, guys.

After 72 hours of rest, then one brief swim last night, things were looking up...but I decided to test it with the foam roller last night and, honestly, it set me back a week.  I'm in as much or more pain now than the day of the original injury.  Saw a doc in my PCP's medical group today and she felt it was just a pull, but I'm wary...I've had lots of pulled muscles and this feels and is responding differently.  I'm taking the doc's advice to carry on with rest, ice, ibuprofen, stretching, but I'll call her back for an ortho referral if I get any more setbacks like today's.

Really bummed, but at least I was already at 35+ mpw and had an 18 mile long run in the books before the injury...I know I can shut down completely and still get through the race, as long as it doesn't turn out to be something serious (like compartment syndrome, which is what I'm concerned about).

At least you are smart and shut it down immediately. Take care.

For those experienced Boston marathoners! I am curious as people say to be prepared for the downhills even more than the uphills. Any advice? Right now, I am trying to remember to shorten my stride a bit on the downs and keep the cadence up at my normal 90, it seems to ease the pounding on my quads. Any other words of wisdom? Oh, and just to put this all into one post, is the expo on Sat and Sunday? We are arriving on the red eye on Saturday morning and am hoping to hit the expo Saturday afternoon so Sunday can be a horizontal kind of day. 
2011-02-15 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3356772

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
kt65 - 2011-02-15 4:54 PM
tcovert - 2011-02-15 1:39 PM

Thanks, guys.

At least you are smart and shut it down immediately. Take care.

For those experienced Boston marathoners! I am curious as people say to be prepared for the downhills even more than the uphills. Any advice? Right now, I am trying to remember to shorten my stride a bit on the downs and keep the cadence up at my normal 90, it seems to ease the pounding on my quads. Any other words of wisdom? Oh, and just to put this all into one post, is the expo on Sat and Sunday? We are arriving on the red eye on Saturday morning and am hoping to hit the expo Saturday afternoon so Sunday can be a horizontal kind of day. 

expo is both days...  remember to grab the official poster - if you look closely it has all of the participant names watermarked on it (kind of cool)...

i think youre doing it right... shorten the stride and increase turnover...

2011-02-15 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
The poster is really cool. I could not believe there were 20,000 names hidden in there but I found mine. The expo was really fun Kim!

Linda
2011-02-15 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
IMO the key to running strong in the last 10 miles at Boston is more related to pacing than turnover.  Don't get me wrong, I do think it's important to minimize the chunks of work by generally increasing your cadence and I often find myself counting ("one-two-three, one-two-three") to check my turnover, but other than a few descents, the downhill sections at Boston aren't all that severe.

From a mechanics standpoint, I wouldn't run the race any differently than you would any other marathon.  What I would recommend is paying close attention to your race plan.  The first 16 miles at Boston are relatively "easy" and they should feel that way.  You're going to feel magic early on and it will be very tempting to run faster than you should.  Just remember it's a long day and there are tougher stretches coming.  Be afraid of the hills and you'll probably find that there's nothing to be afraid of.

It will be packed and slow at the start.  Don't waste energy bobbing and weaving through the masses.  Take it all in and shuffle along through the first few miles at a slower pace than you want to be running.  It will thin out and there will be plenty of time to tire yourself out in the second half.

As with any marathon, if you find yourself working hard between miles 10-13, most likely you're going to be miserable 10 miles later.  Focus on running your own race from the start.  You should be feeling like you're holding yourself back through (at least) the first half.  Once you get through Wellesley, you should be able to take a pretty good assessment of your system and decide whether or not to go for it.

Remember that when you get to the top of Heartbreak, you still have 5 miles to go.  You'll catch some glimpses of the Citgo sign waaaay off in the distance.  Know that the finish is still a mile farther than the sign, so you'll have an accurate (albeit discouraging) reference for the remaining distance.  The last 3 or 4 miles will be tough, but the unbelievable crowd support through the city should be enough to carry you on through to the finish.

Getting fired up!
2011-02-15 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3357150

User image

Elite
san francisco
halfironmike - 2011-02-15 7:43 PMIMO the key to running strong in the last 10 miles at Boston is more related to pacing than turnover.  Don't get me wrong, I do think it's important to minimize the chunks of work by generally increasing your cadence and I often find myself counting ("one-two-three, one-two-three") to check my turnover, but other than a few descents, the downhill sections at Boston aren't all that severe.

From a mechanics standpoint, I wouldn't run the race any differently than you would any other marathon.  What I would recommend is paying close attention to your race plan.  The first 16 miles at Boston are relatively "easy" and they should feel that way.  You're going to feel magic early on and it will be very tempting to run faster than you should.  Just remember it's a long day and there are tougher stretches coming.  Be afraid of the hills and you'll probably find that there's nothing to be afraid of.

It will be packed and slow at the start.  Don't waste energy bobbing and weaving through the masses.  Take it all in and shuffle along through the first few miles at a slower pace than you want to be running.  It will thin out and there will be plenty of time to tire yourself out in the second half.

As with any marathon, if you find yourself working hard between miles 10-13, most likely you're going to be miserable 10 miles later.  Focus on running your own race from the start.  You should be feeling like you're holding yourself back through (at least) the first half.  Once you get through Wellesley, you should be able to take a pretty good assessment of your system and decide whether or not to go for it.

Remember that when you get to the top of Heartbreak, you still have 5 miles to go.  You'll catch some glimpses of the Citgo sign waaaay off in the distance.  Know that the finish is still a mile farther than the sign, so you'll have an accurate (albeit discouraging) reference for the remaining distance.  The last 3 or 4 miles will be tough, but the unbelievable crowd support through the city should be enough to carry you on through to the finish.

Getting fired up!
Thank you, Mike! I have been known to get a little bit ambitious at the start of most races. Am definitely aiming to stick with the plan. Very excited!
2011-02-17 10:27 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I would be more excited without hill charges for today planned on ice and temps in the low teens.  Oh well.  Maybe Mr. Sun will come out later today.  Hopefully this cold lets go of my lungs.  Time to get in those 20 mile runs starts about now.  Long runs for me are 19, 20, 12, 20, 12, 20 taper, so gona be a rougher spell here for a bit.  

Thanks for the info on the course.  It is always good to have an idea of what to expect. 
2011-02-17 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
NOTE TO ALL -  It just dawned on me that I have some stellar course and race information from last year if anyone is interested...  PM your email address and i can send it over...

2011-02-18 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Hey - just realized that no one on here has been discussing the new registration guidelines.  Checked briefly for another thread, but maybe I missed it.  As you might expect, there has been  a lot of chatter on other online forums and I wanted to see what you all thought about it.

I didn't understand why they're going to open (and most likely close) registration before Chicago, Berlin and other fall marathons.  I guess those times will still be good for the next Boston and perhaps they didn't want those late season races to add to the number of registrants.

Should be interesting to see how fast the next two races close.  I think there are a lot of qualifiers within 5 minutes of their qualifying time, so perhaps all of the BQ-10s and BQ-5s will be in?

And where does everyone sit for 2012?  I just have a BQ-7 from Carlsbad, so I'd really like to go low (and hopefully set a new PR or finally break 3) this year.  It might be my last shot at improving my chances for next year since late season races (I'm registered for NYC) won't work.  After this year, it sure would be nice to have a BQ-20 and register on opening day.  I've seen a lot of comments about BQ-10 being safe, too, but I'm not so sure.

Things don't get any easier for the 2013 race, either, as everything gets tightened up by another 5:59.
2011-02-18 9:10 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I saw the - 5:59 time reduction and the tiered registration.  I am glad I got in this year 8).  I am not sure that I will run it again even if I qualify, but even with the time shortening I am going into the next age group so I get an extra 5 mintues, so if I run 5 mintues faster I get into that minus 10 category that is at least reasonably safe if not solid.  I seriously doubt I will be sub 20 any time wihtin the next 3-5 years.  Their system does not sound unreasonable for what it is they are shooting for.  Wouldn't it be nice if Kona ran something like this 8).  You would have some idea of what you were shooting for, but then kona is only 2500 athletes not 25,000 so much less slush room. 

I seem to be finally recovering some from my cold, we will see tomorrow, runs have been slugish for nearly 2 weeks at this point. 

Time to suck it up and get those long runs done!
2011-02-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3362485

User image

New user

Portland
I was displeased to say the least about the new tiered registration.  I'm not a great runner, but I beat my qual time by 2 minutes (Male 40-44 age).  I was pretty excited about having the opportunity to run next year in Boston.  Now it seems to be a toss up.  Not sure how many people bested their qual times by 20 or 10 minutes?  I suppose we'll see.
But, the way it is set up now, I would have to beat my time by 25 minutes for the 2013 and beyond to have a good chance to register. That is a 2:52 time, which I suppose if I quit my job, neglected my kids, and moved to San Diego where it is sunny year round, I could do it.

Maybe those that didn't get in just need to wake up earlier to register or quit their complaining!

Just my two cents...
2011-02-22 1:37 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Got BQ by about 3 min, 30 sec...needed 3:35 (M 50-54).  My Garmin had me at 3:29:15 when I hit 26.2 miles, though, so I suspect I could get the new standard (3:30), if I decided I wanted to get back to Boston.  Honestly, though, unless I get injured again (just resumed running Saturday after 11 days on the shelf, so I'm not ruling anything out at this point), there's no way we can afford to make the trip again anytime soon.  All in all, glad I qualified when I did...and glad I got up at 5:30am PT to register!
2011-02-28 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
7 weeks...!!!  Hope everyone is doing well...!!!

2011-02-28 10:35 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Got my first 20 in on Sunday before church, -2F brr, my water kept freezing.  I was pretty good until the start of 19 and then started bogging out.  Hopefully I can fix this over this month with 2 more 20s planned.  We realy need to have no more snow so I can have a reliable running surface. 

How are everyone elses 20's going.

As far as qualifying again... I qualified by 30 seconds, but will move into the next age bracket so I gain 5 minutes with the new regs and the age group bump, but then have to regain 20 for a solid shot and 10 for a so/so shot.  I doubt that I can afford to go again anyway, at least for many years.  Glad I got in when I did and registered early. 
2011-02-28 12:38 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

im doing great ben!!!!  how you doing over there?

2011-02-28 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
Erbil
20? 20s??  Are you kidding?  No 20s for me.  Except the one on April 18th.  I may get to a 16 miler.  I ran my first race since last April and the longest since last March on Sunday.  Cowtown Half Marathon in Ft Worth.  1:54:31, goal was 2:00:00.  Coming off a serious injury & surgery in November, I am very happy. 

But seriously, I wouldn't run a 20 even if I was healthy.  What's the point?  18 was my longest when I BQ'ed in 2009. 

As far as the new rules, I trained to just qualify.  Run a 3:30, why go faster is all you need is 3:30.  So I don't think I would be able to make it under the new rules.

Keep training & stay healthy!!
2011-02-28 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3375436

User image

Elite
san francisco
Baowolf - 2011-02-28 8:35 AM Got my first 20 in on Sunday before church, -2F brr, my water kept freezing.  I was pretty good until the start of 19 and then started bogging out.  Hopefully I can fix this over this month with 2 more 20s planned.  We realy need to have no more snow so I can have a reliable running surface. 

How are everyone elses 20's going.

As far as qualifying again... I qualified by 30 seconds, but will move into the next age bracket so I gain 5 minutes with the new regs and the age group bump, but then have to regain 20 for a solid shot and 10 for a so/so shot.  I doubt that I can afford to go again anyway, at least for many years.  Glad I got in when I did and registered early. 

Wow, nice job on that "brisk" 20!!!  I'm sure you'll get it down pat.  My 17.5 went well two weeks ago.  I have an "almost 20 miler" this weekend.  I think my temps are going to be in the mid 40's so no problem with frozen water here!!! 

As for 20's, to each their own, I think we all have to find what works best for us individually.  For my last marathon, I think I topped at about 22.5 and amazingly/coincidentally or not, I felt really good until about 22.5 of my marathon.   

So this time I think about 3 20+ runs are on my plan for this one.   I am also glad I qualified and got signed up early for this one. 

Ironmonger, nice job coming back from injury! 

Good luck everyone during this last push. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7