General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "You're over doing it" - WTH!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-03-07 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3386186

Master
, California
Subject: RE: "You're over doing it" - WTH!!!

Doesn't matter if you're 161 or 261.  It's not your actual appearance that people notice, but the change in appearance.  Keep on doing what you're doing and before long they'll forget all about it.  Unless you suddenly put on weight, then you'll get the comments again

2011-03-07 5:29 PM

User image

Expert

I'll be the first one to apologize if I have offended anyone in this thread. It was simply a question if anyone else gets grief for dabbling in this sport, and is sometimes questioned or ridiculed for the time they put in.  Not once did I mention anything about good looks, etc. So if it was taken that way, I apologize.

As mentioned earlier, I never bring it up.  They see the difference since I do not golf anymore, or nearly as often.  They know endurance sports are now my focus.  It doesn't mean I am any better than them, or anyone else. I just have a different focus.

Thank you all for your responses.  We move on.

Edited by rizer22 2011-03-07 5:31 PM
2011-03-07 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3386861

User image

Central Oregon
bmcgee - 2011-03-07 12:52 PM

Then I'll stick to my original judgment, ridiculous.  Get over it, then get over yourself.

Haha I love it! Feels like home. I think those exact words came out of my husband's mouth on Saturday when I was complaining about not having anyone to run with. LOL (He went out of his way to run with me for five miles, so it's always a loving "get over yourself." I appreciate those infrequent comments because it's usually just what I need to hear.

2011-03-07 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran

To the OP--First, congrats on finding a hobby that you enjoy and that is healthy.  I took a look at your logs and see that you keep very maticulous (sp?) records for everything from goal hours to calories burned. 

Obviously I don't know you and am not privy to your conversations, but it MAY BE that you are talking about your training/eating habits more than you realize and more than others want to hear.  Again, I say MAY BE. That is just a guess based on how much data you record on your logs.   

But it really boils down to insecurities and selfishness on the part of those that are being critical.  I will echo what others have said--just don't bring up your training to those that are negative.  Save it for us or members of your tri club, etc.

By the way, I read a tweet yesterday where a guy was explaining his groups training schedule to his friend.  His friend asked "Are you at a fat camp for skinny people?"

I think it is safe to say that at least in our lifetime, your build will be considered "too skinny" by a majority of the U.S.; though in actuality it is hardly the case.  I'm 5'9.5" 162 lbs.  I plan on being 148-150 lbs. for Ironman Louisville, and I am sure there will be some in my life that will have the same snide comments. 

2011-03-07 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3387129

User image

Central Oregon
rizer22 - 2011-03-07 3:29 PM

I'll be the first one to apologize if I have offended anyone in this thread. It was simply a question if anyone else gets grief for dabbling in this sport, and is sometimes questioned or ridiculed for the time they put in.  Not once did I mention anything about good looks, etc. So if it was taken that way, I apologize.

As mentioned earlier, I never bring it up.  They see the difference since I do not golf anymore, or nearly as often.  They know endurance sports are now my focus.  It doesn't mean I am any better than them, or anyone else. I just have a different focus.

I thought it was a good discussion. I'm glad that we have these online forums to chat with people who have similar interests.

2011-03-07 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3387139

User image

Payson, AZ
NashinAK - 2011-03-07 4:36 PM

To the OP--First, congrats on finding a hobby that you enjoy and that is healthy.  I took a look at your logs and see that you keep very maticulous (sp?) records for everything from goal hours to calories burned. 

OK, I had to go check his logs.  You know that BT does all that calorie stuff automagically right?  You need to add some info under settings and then when you log workouts there it is.  It's a feature they added a few months ago.  He's logs don't look overly detailed to me being that BT is doing most the work

2011-03-07 6:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-07 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3386861

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-03-07 7:08 PM

Regular
rizer22 - 2011-03-07 11:21 AM

I am sure this has been a thread before. But does anyone ever get tired of hearing from friends and family members that "you exercise too much" or "you're over doing it"  I am in my 6th week of the BT Olympic, Bike Focused, Tri plan.  I follow the running and biking as it calls for, but am lacking in the swim.  Either way, I am probably in the best cardio shape I have ever been in.  I've never had a weight issue, but since I have leaned out and cut my body fat % down, I probably look leaner than I have in the past. I'm 5'9", 161 pounds.  I don't think that is too skinny, but people think they have the right to say so!

Why do people need to comment on these things???  I am just curious if other people get this?

tell them I'm 5' 10" and 140-145 depending on how hard I've just trained lol! And that there's people skinnier than me...

Seriously if you train hard and keep the long road in mind and by that I mean take care of your body so you can be the old guy you see at triathlons passing you then you'll be better in the end for the hard work and good things you've done for your body.

2011-03-07 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3387205

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
melbel1038 - 2011-03-07 6:23 PM

When I hear..."that is excessive"...I say something to the effect of.."Who defines what is and isn't excessive?  Maybeee.... 2 to 3 hours of tv a day is EXCESSIVE.  Maybe a sleeve of oreos...is EXCESSIVE.  MAYBE...the number of cigarettes some people smoke is EXCESSIVE.  Diet coke...EXCESSIVE.  McDonalds...EXCESSIVE.  I think some people's video gaming is EXCESSIVE.  So what?  I'm an adult.  If I wanna work out until my arms and legs fall off...THAT'S MY BIDNESS!" 

Can you tell, I've had this conversation once or twice?

Where's the "Like" button?

2011-03-07 7:29 PM

Veteran

I agree with what most people have posted, but I posit that triathlon training has many adverse effects as well. 

Sure, it's "healthy" to an extent, but so is spending only 3-4 hours a week only on running.  I contend that the amount of time and mental effort required to be a decent triathlete is excessive in the context of the normal person, with a job/family etc.  There is merit to people's comments, such as "you're overdoing it".  

2011-03-07 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3387213

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-07 6:28 PM
bmcgee -

Then I'll stick to my original judgment, ridiculous.  Get over it, then get over yourself.

Judgmental much?

Yes, but that's exactly what the OP asked for.  We won't always agree...it's usually a matter of perspective.  By a "normal" person's perspective, you might be overdoing it.  I'll give you another perspective: When people mention that you might be getting a little too thin (or the same basic scenario outlined by the OP), what they are really saying is that you look a little too thin for THEM..  I simply smile and say something like, "different strokes for different folks, I guess" then smile and carry on with whatever conversation.  I mean, let’s face it; tons of people would LOVE to be 5'9" & 161lbs.  So to have resentment or irritation towards someone (whether they were made of genuine thoughtfulness or jealousy) is kind of ridiculous to me.  Furthermore, I'll contend that this irritation and contempt can sometimes be mistaken (sometimes rightfully so) as snobby. 

That's just my opinion... 

2011-03-07 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3387299

Master
Bellevue, WA
charmander - 2011-03-07 5:29 PM

I agree with what most people have posted, but I posit that triathlon training has many adverse effects as well. 

Sure, it's "healthy" to an extent, but so is spending only 3-4 hours a week only on running.  I contend that the amount of time and mental effort required to be a decent triathlete is excessive in the context of the normal person, with a job/family etc.  There is merit to people's comments, such as "you're overdoing it".  

I disagree.

I spend far less time per week on IM training the the "average American" spends watching TV.  This NYT article references Nielsen which says TV watching is now 34 hours per week.   One presumes many of these TV viewers are normal people with jobs and families.

That's excessive.  At least it isn't straining them in terms of mental effort.

Edited by brucemorgan 2011-03-07 8:04 PM
2011-03-07 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3387129

Regular
rizer22 - 2011-03-07 6:29 PM

You're fine, sometimes the forums get heated, don't worry about it. Just keep telling people of the good things you do, don't brag but let them know what you're doing and that its perfectly normal. If you can bring some people along with you and inspire others. Someone at work just quit smoking and is doing really good with it. I give her all the positive feedback I can even though I'm not sure it helps. Treat people good and you'll be fine. Someone posted above to keep your mouth shut but I think just the opposite. Tell people in a positive manner about what you're doing and try to bring them along, use your judgement for those who you know will never change but still try to help someone. If you bring one person along maybe you will add a few quality years on to their life, that would be the ultimate good feeling. Maybe that person will bring another person along with them, you never know.

2011-03-07 8:41 PM

Bronze member

I don't really hear this but I've said something that could have been taken that way. My brother in law started cycling last year and lost some weight. I hadn't seen him for a few months and the next time I saw him I was shocked. He was never big but the weight loss made him look really scrawny and it was winter so he was very pale. I asked my sister if he was sick or something. Ooops, she said no, he's just been riding and people keep asking him that. He never once brought up his training. It was simply the dramatic change in his appearance that brought concern. I never thought of him as someone who needed to lose weight so when he did it just worried me but I would never have wanted to offend him.

2011-03-07 9:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA

I guess I should feel lucky.   I was one of the last members of my immediate family to dive headlong into training, so I have had nothing but support, encouragement and accolades.  Hell, even from friends and acquaintances I hear nothing but positive encouragement.  The closest thing to negativity comes from people that had no idea I weighed as much as I did when I started (5'7, 208) because I carried it differently than most "fat" people...and then it's just shock that I was able to lose 40 pounds.

Probably helps living in a place like Southern California, where fitness is more commonplace.

Personally I would be pretty stoked to get the "too skinny" comments.

2011-03-07 9:58 PM

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

When people tell me that I am too skinny I just tell them I have cancer.  That shuts them up lickity split.

Wait, I do did have cancer.  Skin cancer, the easiest treatable.

I can be mean that way....Cool

2011-03-07 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3387364

Veteran
brucemorgan - 2011-03-07 8:03 PM
charmander - 2011-03-07 5:29 PM

I disagree.

I spend far less time per week on IM training the the "average American" spends watching TV.  This NYT article references Nielsen which says TV watching is now 34 hours per week.   One presumes many of these TV viewers are normal people with jobs and families.

That's excessive.  At least it isn't straining them in terms of mental effort.

Valid point and I see your perspective.

Either way, no one is going to admit their television habit or their triathlon training is detrimental because if they could admit to that, than they wouldn't do it.  It's basic psychology... people will find ways to reduce cognitive dissonance by looking at the positives rather than the negatives.  

I'm just saying triathlon training is excessive in regards to the basic arguments people make for it (mainly: health). 

2011-03-07 11:45 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I get stuff this from people, esp. as a female athlete, and even more so as a master's age female athlete in Asia, where people's ideas about what girls and women should do with their time and bodies seem a lot more traditional. I have even been told things like, "If you didn't run, you would be fatter and you could find a husband." (?!) If I think the person would understand, I explain that there are some differences between exercising solely for enjoyment or health, and training for performance. These include time committment, intensity of workouts and, for some folks, body weight. Beyond that, I don't bother. I do try to not talk much about what I do training-wise to people who aren't my tri-buddies, and to advise adults and kids who seek me out to find the activities and level of committment that they enjoy. Particularly to my students, I stress that it's not necessary to compete and train the way some of the people at our school do (including myself) to get lots of health and other benefits. As someone who didn't "try" triathlons until age 40 because I thought they were all Ironmans and all triathletes were fanatics Tongue out, I do think dedicated athletes sometimes intimidate people and make them feel that their more modest attempts at a healthy lifestyle aren't valid.
2011-03-07 11:46 PM
in reply to: #3387562

Master
Bellevue, WA

charmander - 2011-03-07 8:28 PM

I'm just saying triathlon training is excessive in regards to the basic arguments people make for it (mainly: health). 

I agree with that.  A person can certainly be healthy without being a triathlete, and most triathlete training goes beyond the activity leavel needed for overall health.  

But not all that much beyond - last time I read about it, I believe the recommendations were "30 to 60 minutes a day" of activity - that would be 3.5 to 7 hours per week.  My current IM schedule this week calls for 13 hours of training so yes, far more than baseline.  But at 7 hours per week, you can do fairly reasonable triathlon training.  You probably won't be standing on the podium, but you could credibly finish one.

2011-03-08 12:12 AM

Master
Midlothian, VA

So far so good with my family.

They know I am always hungry.

If I disappear long enough they will ask "how far did you ride?" or "have a good swim?" 

Possibly best of all, if I start getting stir crazy or generally cranky they will tell me to go to the pool.  My mom or brother will voluntarily watch the kids and send me off for a workout for the sanity of everyone involved!

Getting the comments about too much weight loss is not in my immediate future...

-eric

2011-03-08 3:07 AM

Veteran
Avon, Indiana
I'm lucky that my wife and I are both "over doing it".  My wife teaches Zumba 5 times a week.  The only complaint we get is from her parents.  They basically tell us we are doing to much to our bodies, and that its just not "normal".  We pretty much just smile and keep on keeping on.
2011-03-08 8:09 AM

You will know that you are approaching "A" race fitness, when everyone tells you that you look like hell, need to gain weight, etc. Particularly, with triathlons, where 99.99% of participants are taking a long-term approach, and training well/smartly up to race day.

The corollary: "you will know that you are officially out of mid-season shape" when your wife/significant other comments on how "healthy" you have been looking lately! Happened to me over Christmas....Yikes!....I knew then, that it was time to get back in the gym. Hahaha!!!
2011-03-08 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3386309

Master
Albuquerque
lisac957 - 2011-03-07 10:14 AM

How interesting would life be if we could all comment so freely on everyone's choices without getting punched in the face.

You should watch "The Invention of Lying"!

2011-03-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3387870

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

Love all the responses, unless it is from my wife or daughter, I respond: 

Yep, you're right.   and move on.

For them though, we discuss what balance makes the most sense for our family.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "You're over doing it" - WTH!!! Rss Feed  

of 4