BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-11 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3983877

Fairfax, VA
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - open
esc - 2012-01-11 11:24 AM

Alright, Nicole - name change duly noted.

We will keep this thread going for as long as this mentoring program lasts (until end of March/April).  After that we'll get moved to the archive.  A new round of mentor groups will get posted.  We can keep our group going in the archive or you can choose a new group.  Or I can start a new group and all the current members can join in and we'll see if we can recruit some new blood.  Clear as mud?

I hear ya on the scheduling thing.  I work 12 hour shifts so I struggle to work my training in on my work days.  It's a 3 days on, 3 days off schedule so my work days change from week to week.  I realized a few years back that trying to use a traditional training schedule is impossible for me.  I've ever so slowly figured out how to plan out my training and then I plug it in around my work days.  On the plus side, after three hectic work days, I get three days off to catch up on sleep, housework, errands, and get in some extra training time.  My favorite weeks are the weeks that work out to only three days of work for the entire week.  So lovely.

Thanks for the clarification!

I read in a more recent post that you're a law professor, very cool (OOPS, that's enders_shadow -- it's been a long day). When you mentioned your shifts, I thought maybe law enforcement or nursing...! Must be nice to have those 3 days on, 4 days off work weeks, but at the same time I don't envy your long days. I'd be dead on my feet.

Edited by No Mayo 2012-01-11 7:52 PM

2012-01-12 5:23 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Happy hump day, Goonies!

Just a heads up...I'm working the next three days so I might not be as vocal on the forum.  I'll still be checking in on the thread and all your logs but I'll have to check from my phone so probabably won't post as much.  I'll be back in full chatty force on Sunday, sunday, sunday.

edited to add - I will answer any and all questions that pop up so if something comes up post away.  I'll make sure to post a response once I get home from work!

Edited by esc 2012-01-12 5:25 AM
2012-01-12 6:02 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey all-

TGI Thursday. :-) It's my first week back teaching this semester and it always feels like it's atleast 18 days long.

I'm kinda stressed - I have a cold which is making me miserable. I want to keep up with my training, but I also don't want to get more sicky sicky. I got a great night's sleep last night (thanks Nyquil), so I'm going to try my run today, but it may not be everything on the schedule.
2012-01-12 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Hi all,
Whew, just got through a training talk with the SO, my pool is only open 9-2:30 on weekdays (also 7-10 but that is open swim and hard to train due to all the clubs using it.) So we have to start to coordinate kid drop-offs and pick-ups better. That said, I will try to do a swim today before lunch time, if time I'll let you all know how it's going. basically I am having to start with Ruth Kazez's couch to 1mile plan because those upper body muscles are so weak, hopefully I can speed it up a little bit but I feel that even if I have to complete 6 weeks of that I will still have time for speed training for the sprint in May.

Question for anyone with race experience about bike shoes, do you recommend tri-specific shoes or is any road shoe ok? I'm going to buy a pair and I think I'd really like the Pearl Izumi with a buckle but don't know how much that will slow me down in the transition vs the Shimano SH-R077 with three velcro straps or the Pearl Izumi Tri-Fly III. is the Tri-Fly good enough for longer milage if I work my way up to a half-ironman? Thanks for your input.

Oh, how do you all log your swims? I suck at keeping track of laps, once I get beyond the 200 I always forget where I'm at.

Lastly, the coolgenes is bio-based. I've done research on a lot of crops since starting college at Purdue but I am now exclusively Peaches (my goal was to always work on something that tasted good ) I research better roots, better nutrient content, how the tree measures cold to know when to flower, and how to get riper and tastier peaches to the market.

2012-01-12 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3985459

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-01-12 7:02 AM Hey all- TGI Thursday. :-) It's my first week back teaching this semester and it always feels like it's atleast 18 days long. I'm kinda stressed - I have a cold which is making me miserable. I want to keep up with my training, but I also don't want to get more sicky sicky. I got a great night's sleep last night (thanks Nyquil), so I'm going to try my run today, but it may not be everything on the schedule.

Heh...i was under the impression that today was wednesday.  Thanks for knocking me back to reality.

When it comes to training when sick I was given the advice that if it's just a head cold go ahead and train.  If it's in the lungs take a few days to rest and recover.  I got sick right after Christmas.  The only time my sinuses cleared out was when I was running or biking.  I kept my efforts really easy and enjoyed the few minutes of free breathing.

2012-01-12 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3985631

Fairfax, VA
coolgenes - 2012-01-12 8:51 AM

Hi all,
Whew, just got through a training talk with the SO, my pool is only open 9-2:30 on weekdays (also 7-10 but that is open swim and hard to train due to all the clubs using it.) So we have to start to coordinate kid drop-offs and pick-ups better. That said, I will try to do a swim today before lunch time, if time I'll let you all know how it's going. basically I am having to start with Ruth Kazez's couch to 1mile plan because those upper body muscles are so weak, hopefully I can speed it up a little bit but I feel that even if I have to complete 6 weeks of that I will still have time for speed training for the sprint in May.

Question for anyone with race experience about bike shoes, do you recommend tri-specific shoes or is any road shoe ok? I'm going to buy a pair and I think I'd really like the Pearl Izumi with a buckle but don't know how much that will slow me down in the transition vs the Shimano SH-R077 with three velcro straps or the Pearl Izumi Tri-Fly III. is the Tri-Fly good enough for longer milage if I work my way up to a half-ironman? Thanks for your input.

Oh, how do you all log your swims? I suck at keeping track of laps, once I get beyond the 200 I always forget where I'm at.

Lastly, the coolgenes is bio-based. I've done research on a lot of crops since starting college at Purdue but I am now exclusively Peaches (my goal was to always work on something that tasted good ) I research better roots, better nutrient content, how the tree measures cold to know when to flower, and how to get riper and tastier peaches to the market.

Hi coolgenes! Good luck with the swim. I do my swims during lunch and all the pools I've used are typically pretty empty

I've only done a couple of races, but you definitely don't have to get tri-specific shoes. I would think that the buckle vs velcro will only be a difference of a few seconds during transition. That said, if you don't own any cycling shoes and all other things are in the same ballpark (comfort/price), why not make the investment into tri shoes? That's just my humble opinion -- I myself am still using 10 year old road shoes :P.

As for laps - I have the same problem, so I just started using the lap counter on my watch & hit it every 100. I've seen some lap counters in swim shops that look pretty cool. They mount to the pool wall and you slap it every time you pass.

2012-01-12 8:27 AM

Fairfax, VA
enders_shadow - 2012-01-12 7:02 AM

Hey all-

TGI Thursday. :-) It's my first week back teaching this semester and it always feels like it's atleast 18 days long.

I'm kinda stressed - I have a cold which is making me miserable. I want to keep up with my training, but I also don't want to get more sicky sicky. I got a great night's sleep last night (thanks Nyquil), so I'm going to try my run today, but it may not be everything on the schedule.

Have a great run -- hope you feel better soon too!
2012-01-12 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
NWA

Best of luck on a good teaching week - we start back Tuesday.   Go get the run...even if you walk most of it.  Just go nice and easy - if nothing else it'll tire you out and sleep might be easier.  I'm on a Z-pack myself.  Feeling much better.

T.

2012-01-12 9:22 AM

New user

Hi Everyone!

Just curious on suggestions for entry level equipment for training and for the actual tri. I know everyone will have different suggestions and likes/dislikes.  I'm open to all opinions.  Trying to get a sense of what I will need the most.

Thanks

A

2012-01-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3985631

User image

Regular
NWA

Coolgenes- I share the University pool with the swim team and local swim teams who use it...but, if I go for an early lunch - it works out well. After 11:45 ish I'm competing with all the other professors who want to swim.  I am lucky that we have a long rec swim session - since its a University pool...but the Spring session time, which starts Monday is at 10:30PM.  Doubt I'll be doing it then.  As for keeping track of laps - man - I'm determined to make a wristlet that allows for that...I want to focus on my technique since that's my weakest event and I find myself losing track of count.  I stopped by Hobby Lobby to grab some supplies to test out...if it seems to work - perhaps I'll make some "bracelets" with bead letters spelling out "goonies".  As for Tri-specific shoes - don't think it really matters - but I agree with whoever said - if you're making the investment - go ahead and get the tri-specific.  My girlfriend who just completed a full ironman - has the female version of the Tri Fly and the mileage didnt matter at all.

BTW - a very good friend of mine is a professor of wheat breading and genetics (he only researches - no teaching) - sounds like you do for peaches what he does for wheat.

T.

2012-01-12 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hey gang, here's my .02 on some of the topics...

Tri equipment/tri shoes- Target sells a good brand of workout clothes by Champion, C9.  Most of their stuff will get you through your first few races. 

I find that Tri shoes ARE easier to get into, especially if you plan on leaving the shoes clipped to the bike in transition.  As far as using them as your sole shoes, I've rode all summer in just my tri shoes without any issue at all.

Counting laps-I buy Timex IronMan watches with lap feature and simply push the lap button.  You could even slide the bouys on the lap ropes like an abacas (sp?).

Keep in mind that I'm an old man, but this sport can get real compilcated in a hurry.  Trick is to keep things simple when you can, so you can focus on the tough stuff later.  And have fun...ALWAYS, ALWAYS have fun.  When training becomes someth9ing you HAVE to do, rather than Want to do, it may be time to reconsider your goals. 

2012-01-12 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3985925

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Annemarie,

What distance is your race and is it going to be a pool swim or open water?  If open water, the expected water temp would dictate if you need a wetsuit.  I speak only from one tri (oly) and it was an open water swim.  I opted for the most basic equipment that would get the job done.  I borrowed a road bike, that I eventually purchased from my friend, and purchased a basic wetsuit due to the water temp.  Other than that, I used my mountain bike shoes, helmet, road bike shorts (padding felt a bit big on the run, but it got me to the finish line) and the same old running shoes and clothes..  Even in the oly distance race, some people opted not to wear a wet suit and saw quite a few poeple on mountain bikes.  If you need to buy ridding shorts, I would just go for the tri specific up front.  They have much less padding and can be used in the pool and on the run much better that the typical road short.     

In my opinion, anything equal to or less than a oly, bring what you got is my motto..  This sport can be super expensive if you start buying all the high end tri specific stuff.  I would get one or two under your belt then decide if this is something you will like and then start investing.  

Joey 

Edited by Joeyj1974 2012-01-12 12:03 PM
2012-01-12 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
I got my run in - 4 miles easy. I live out in the burbs, so I ran the blocks and walked the cross streets - it ended up being 1-3 minutes running, 10-15 seconds walking. Just enough to catch my breath and slow down. My time actually ended up being better than it has been on the dreadmill. Crazy. I should get sick more often. (NOT!)

I echo a lot of what y'all have said. When I started, I did it as cheap as I could (except for my bike - that was a present, so I got a low-end Specialized roadie). But I bought my bike shoes from an overstock store (I have road shoes, but I've never been fancy enough to leave them clipped in in a race). I also need a few minutes of breather in T1 because swimming is not my thing, so speed of getting shoes on is minor for me. I got my pedals from my brother (hand-me-downs). I wear Target clothes - C9 rocks.

I would spring for a pair of tri shorts - the small padding is good in the pool and run but enough to be comfortable for the ride. I have trained in mine, they are comfy enough even if you are just biking.

I never bought a wetsuit - after a couple of years, when I was gearing up to do my first (and only) Oly, I got one from someone here on BT (a pay-it-forward kind of thing) who had outgrown theirs.
2012-01-12 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Oh, and as far as swimming...back when I used to do that sort of thing...I did the Ruth Kazez 0-1600 plan, it's good. For counting laps, I'm actually a chanter - it helps me keep me strokes even.

First 100, first lap. First 100, first lap. First 100, second lap. First 100, second lap.
(Left arm, right arm. Left arm, right arm. etc.)

Second 100, first lap. etc.

Yeah, it's not fancy, but it worked for me. (Now you can't get me in the water - but that's a goal for later in the year.)
2012-01-12 1:00 PM

New user

I think I'm going to start with a try a tri or super sprint I belive that is what they are called. 400m swim open water, 10km bike then a 2.5km run (sorry I'm Canadian not sure in miles) then maybe by the end of summer a sprint which i think is double the lengths. With the abundance of water up here, lol, most are open water swims.
I have a great pair of running shoes which i think i can use while biking (just longer to tie up during transition) I have a crappy mountain bike that is at least 10yrs old. And a decent sport swimsuit, as I love to swim. Willing to upgrade some just looking for advice on what.......
Hope this helps
Thanks
2012-01-12 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3984458

New user

Pueblo

I will start my physical therapy on Jan 31.  I will just do general ROM and upper body strengthening for the month of March.  My surgeon said I could start riding and running in April.  We will see about swimming as I am not sure how the stroke is going to go, but I should be able to swim when I get some motion back.  It has been an ordeal but things seem to be working out fine.  I thank god for my surgeon and his team.

Anyways, looking forward to getting things going.

2012-01-12 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3986594

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

amm777 - 2012-01-12 12:00 PM I think I'm going to start with a try a tri or super sprint I belive that is what they are called. 400m swim open water, 10km bike then a 2.5km run (sorry I'm Canadian not sure in miles) then maybe by the end of summer a sprint which i think is double the lengths. With the abundance of water up here, lol, most are open water swims.
I have a great pair of running shoes which i think i can use while biking (just longer to tie up during transition) I have a crappy mountain bike that is at least 10yrs old. And a decent sport swimsuit, as I love to swim. Willing to upgrade some just looking for advice on what.......
Hope this helps
Thanks

Try a Tris are (at least in the US) typically "Sprint" distances, "Super Sprints" are longer, usually 1000 meter swims, 15-20 mile bike and 3-5 mile runs.

As far as gear goes, running shoes are OK for cycling shorter distances, but even cheapo clipless pedals/shoes will be a huge improvement in comfort and efficiency and you can take them with you if you get a different bike.  Learn to NOT tie shoes-leave them tied and simply slip them on.  Any time you can shave in transition is FREE SPEED.  You get faster without having to train harder-so practice those transitions and eek every second you can from them.   As far as the bike, I would put the thinnest, smoothest tires you can on it, then put  the max amount of air pressure in those tires.  Old school bar-ends will give you a slightly more aero position.  Hell, you could even get a longer stem to flatten your back even more and, Viola, you are now a lean, mean, aero, triathlon master.  Children will go wide-eyed  and gasp "awwww" in admiration when you pass.    Your life will NEVER be the same.   Ok, most of that is true....Good Luck.

Edited by jeffnboise 2012-01-12 4:00 PM
2012-01-12 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
wow, thanks for the advice so far. I ordered the TriFlys, now gotta find pedals on a budget, either Look Keo or Shimano 105s. Reason I'm doing it is the road bike I have came with rat trap pedals and the pedals I swapped from my mountain bike and shoes, while great for that just aren't great for any distance. I'm still figuring out the Ironman Global and get it to work with BT. I just got a pair of tri shorts, goggles and such for cheap from swimoutlet and with all my Target and Walmart running apparel I think I'm good to go. At least for the first race or two

Anyway, I finished the first day of 0-1650, actually I had some extra time and energy at the end so I did 300 more. not bad for not being able to do a single 100 on Sunday, I guess chalk it up to wiping down the cobwebs, now if I could just add the flip turns without gasping for breath I'd be good. I do like that feeling of not being able to get your arms up higher than washing hair just after a good swim.

great job on the run enders shadow, nothing like a good run to get your lymph moved around. jross, kudos to you, I can't wait til April to hear about how your first run and ride go.

2012-01-12 4:27 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Happy Thursday Everyone!

I'm really glade I decided to log onto BT and saw the support group thread.  I have subscribed to the thread and have been able to look at them on my phone while out.  What put me over the edge was a friend of mine, who I meet on transformation.com where I had lost 120 lbs, recommended me to check out I AM IRONMAN, which has been a good read so far.  It follow the story of four normal people taking on the challenge of Ironman Arizona.  On about chapter 4 and now I'm here with everyone getting really pumped about my training goals for 2012! 

For today I ran my scheduled 3 mile run and then jumped in the pool to see how bad it's going to be.  To my surprise I was able to get in 40 laps without stopping, not fast, but got them in none the less... 

2012-01-12 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3986594

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

amm777 - 2012-01-12 1:00 PM I think I'm going to start with a try a tri or super sprint I belive that is what they are called. 400m swim open water, 10km bike then a 2.5km run (sorry I'm Canadian not sure in miles) then maybe by the end of summer a sprint which i think is double the lengths. With the abundance of water up here, lol, most are open water swims.
Hope this helps
Thanks

Small world I just noticed your profile states you are from Pueblo. I assume it is Pueblo, CO.  I was born and raised in Pueblo and now live in Denver..  Crazy.  Not sure about pueblo, but Highlands Ranch has a tri series that includes a pool sprint tri in June and then another sprint/oly in Aug.  I think I will sign up for both since they are in my back yard.

Joey

2012-01-12 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3987159

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-12 4:40 PM

amm777 - 2012-01-12 1:00 PM I think I'm going to start with a try a tri or super sprint I belive that is what they are called. 400m swim open water, 10km bike then a 2.5km run (sorry I'm Canadian not sure in miles) then maybe by the end of summer a sprint which i think is double the lengths. With the abundance of water up here, lol, most are open water swims.
Hope this helps
Thanks

Small world I just noticed your profile states you are from Pueblo. I assume it is Pueblo, CO.  I was born and raised in Pueblo and now live in Denver..  Crazy.  Not sure about pueblo, but Highlands Ranch has a tri series that includes a pool sprint tri in June and then another sprint/oly in Aug.  I think I will sign up for both since they are in my back yard.

Joey

I feel like a huge dummy right now.  I just realized I quoted the wrong person...  Sorry amm77.

2012-01-12 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Sounds like all the questions that cropped up today already got answered.  I'm practically obsolete already!

I just got home from work and finished up my daily chores (why can't all these animals feed and clean up after themselves?).   I'm getting ready to wiggle into some bike shorts and hit the trainer.  Intervals plus Boilermaker basketball on the TV seems like the perfect way to warm up on this cold winter night.

2012-01-12 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3986720

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jross64 - 2012-01-12 2:38 PM

I will start my physical therapy on Jan 31.  I will just do general ROM and upper body strengthening for the month of March.  My surgeon said I could start riding and running in April.  We will see about swimming as I am not sure how the stroke is going to go, but I should be able to swim when I get some motion back.  It has been an ordeal but things seem to be working out fine.  I thank god for my surgeon and his team.

Anyways, looking forward to getting things going.

It sounds like you got a good crew working with you.  It's nice to have someone that understands that you want to do more than just heal, you want to get back to being active again.  Hit that PT hard and you'll be tri'ing again in no time!

2012-01-12 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3987029

User image

Regular
NWA
jeffnboise - 2012-01-12 3:39 PM

amm777 - 2012-01-12 12:00 PM I think I'm going to start with a try a tri or super sprint I belive that is what they are called. 400m swim open water, 10km bike then a 2.5km run (sorry I'm Canadian not sure in miles) then maybe by the end of summer a sprint which i think is double the lengths. With the abundance of water up here, lol, most are open water swims.
Hope this helps
Thanks

Try a Tris are (at least in the US) typically "Sprint" distances, "Super Sprints" are longer, usually 1000 meter swims, 15-20 mile bike and 3-5 mile runs.

As far as gear goes, running shoes are OK for cycling shorter distances, but even cheapo clipless pedals/shoes will be a huge improvement in comfort and efficiency and you can take them with you if you get a different bike.  Learn to NOT tie shoes-leave them tied and simply slip them on.  Any time you can shave in transition is FREE SPEED.  You get faster without having to train harder-so practice those transitions and eek every second you can from them.   As far as the bike, I would put the thinnest, smoothest tires you can on it, then put  the max amount of air pressure in those tires.  Old school bar-ends will give you a slightly more aero position.  Hell, you could even get a longer stem to flatten your back even more and, Viola, you are now a lean, mean, aero, triathlon master.  Children will go wide-eyed  and gasp "awwww" in admiration when you pass.    Your life will NEVER be the same.   Ok, most of that is true....Good Luck.

Ok - amm777 - I do have a good story for you...and the group about shoes.  It may be the only advantage to wearing regular sneakers inside of bike shoes.  During my first and only tri this past Oct a very strange thing occurred.  The entire course (swimming, biking and running) is all pretty tame.  Except for one hill - its a "3-s curve", extremely steep hill.  During the race - I never saw anyone bike all the way up it...now granted on the bike I was just on the wrong side of middle of the pack.  So, I'm sure the elites biked up it.  Anyway - as I'm hoofing it up the hill with my bike, solemnly following the gentleman in front of me, this chic, out of nowhere comes running up the hill carrying her bike.  I'm like, what the heck, how's she doing that...that's awesome!  Post race - we were all standing around and I was like - hey how'd you run up that hill.  She said, well I had borrowed a friends mountain bike and he didn't have clip ins and I left mine - so I had to wear my running shoes...and decided she could make up time because she could run with her sneakers on.  No way I'm running in cycle/road shoes.  Its a recipe for disaster.  But, there's a bright side to having real running shoes on...you can always run with your bike in tow!  The only thing you are putting off...the inaugural fall from being clipped in.  Its inevitable and such a weird feeling because you lose all control.  Eventually though - you'll want bike shoes.  I trained in regular sneakers until about 4 weeks prior to my only race and then got a pair of clip-ins.  The first ride was like night and day...so, be saving your pennies! 

T.

2012-01-12 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3987247

User image

Regular
NWA
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-12 5:47 PM
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-12 4:40 PM

Hope this helps
Thanks

Joey

I feel like a huge dummy right now.  I just realized I quoted the wrong person...  Sorry amm77.

Joey - where in Denver?  My family is in Centennial, Franktown (south of Parker) and Littleton.  My Sis and her family in Cheyenne.  I want to do a race out there - but the water is so damn cold!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23