BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2012-04-03 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4124117

Rochester
Subject: RE: Kenj - triathletes in training OPEN
So far it seems like a great group of people. I am looking forward to some of the discussions we will have on here. Welcome everyone and lets just tri!

2012-04-03 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

I would like to join back again Kenj - I had so much fun the last group, and I really enjoy Ken's advice as he is an everyday Joe, and replies nearly ALL the time! :-)  Bio next.

EDIT: Wooot! My 1000th post! :-)

Edited by CyborgQueen 2012-04-03 7:46 PM
2012-04-03 7:50 PM

New user

I would like to be part of this group!

NAME: Ryan

STORY: I'm 34years old heavy balding dude, and I see an endocrinologist for whacked out lab results.  Im trying to make the lifestyle change, but life, kids, soreness and a high stress job seems to want to take front seat.  I vowed this year to be consistent.  I look back and see that Im not consistent in training or if I am then Im slacking in dieting.       

FAMILY STATUS: Married, Christy and a 6 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I don't have any planned; I would like to do a half this summer. Im moving in August to the east coast and I would like to finish the 20 week bt 70.3 training plan before I do one.  I did a sprint and a quarter last year and want to continue on.   

WEIGHTLOSS:  Ha! I hope.  Im working hard at it.  240 in Mar and and now 233. So "consistently" going the right direction

WHY I'M HERE: Consistency and Accountability 

2012-04-03 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4128354

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-03 8:45 PM

I would like to join back again Kenj - I had so much fun the last group, and I really enjoy Ken's advice as he is an everyday Joe, and replies nearly ALL the time! :-)  Bio next.

Hey DJ!  Great to have you back!!  When is graduation? 

2012-04-03 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4128363

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
rpmfast - 2012-04-03 8:50 PM

STORY: I'm 34years old heavy balding dude, and I see an endocrinologist for whacked out lab results.  Im trying to make the lifestyle change, but life, kids, soreness and a high stress job seems to want to take front seat.  I vowed this year to be consistent.  I look back and see that Im not consistent in training or if I am then Im slacking in dieting.       

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I don't have any planned; I would like to do a half this summer. Im moving in August to the east coast and I would like to finish the 20 week bt 70.3 training plan before I do one.  I did a sprint and a quarter last year and want to continue on.   

WEIGHTLOSS:  Ha! I hope.  Im working hard at it.  240 in Mar and and now 233. So "consistently" going the right direction

Hi Ryan! Great to have you as part of the group!

Where are you moving to?

2012-04-03 8:09 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED
FYI, the group now shows closed.  If the guys that PM'd me join in we will have a large group and if they don't we will only be a little smaller than the last group.  I also have some from the last group that are playing hookey that I need to go drag in!

2012-04-03 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

NAME: DJ

STORY: I was never athletic growing up, but I've done 7 years of Ballet, Jazz, Pointe and Tap. Even doing dancing, I was always overweight and "not so good", but I can do some killer jazz kick-turns.  I've done skiing, snowboarding, and skiboarding, but that's pretty much it. 2008 I moved to Las Vegas. Aug 2009, I started riding for the first time, and doing 5 miles had me gasping so badly. Accidentily sat on Fire Ant's home and got stung a few times. Not a great day to do my first day of riding!  After riding a year (and getting my first ever road bike), I was encouraged to try triathlons, and registered for my first race, IronGirl in 2010. I even ran for the first time that year.  That season, I did 1 5k, 3 Sprints, 1 Olympic and first Half Marathon to finish the season. In 2011, I only did one Sprint, 1 5k, my first Century (which was the highlight of the season!), and a second Half Marathon (PR with serious lack of training, which shocked me!).  Took it slower that season due to feeling burned out and finishing my Senior year in college. Now, I'm BACK!   I'm doing triathlons to keep myself busy and a permanent couch potato. I do and cycling races for fitness as well. I'm not seeking to win any podiums, just to finish the race with a nice smile on my face. 

FAMILY STATUS: I live with my fiance, Roy. We've been together for 8 years, engaged for 4, and FINALLY getting married in September. We also have 5 cats and a dog, Stardust. We live in a 1964 home that is owned by Mel Carter's (singer of Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me) mother. When his mother died, Mel Carter was trying to sell it, and we bought it from him. :-) Roy does NOT do any endurance sport at all, and I'm trying to get him to do a couple 5Ks, but that's pretty much it. He supports me all the way and never frowns at me if I'm out cycling (which is quite often), running and swimming.  Roy has his electronics and collecting old school Vegas stuff hobby and I have my cycling hobby, so it works out well. :-)

CURRENT TRAINING: Finally getting back into the groove. Training has been a little sporadic the last couple months due to craziness at school.  All the hard work in school - I earned a BS with honors in Game Art and Design (I'm a Texture/Environmental artist) with Best of Show for my Portfolio work.  Now I don't have any school, I have a lot more free time. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2011 was my second year, and did 1 Sprint, 1 Half-Marathon, 2 5k's, and 1 Century.

2012 RACES:  IronGirl Triathlon, Showdown at Sundown, Lake Las Vegas Tri, Las Vegas Tri, Tri Club races, Kokopelli, Soma Triathlon for my first HIM., ET Midnight 10k or Half marathon.   And several cycling events. I did not register for all of them yet, still a tentative schedule, only Irongirl. But I definitely would like to do Soma Triathlon. :-)

WEIGHTLOSS:  2009 is when I started my weight loss journey. I don't follow a strict diet, but I'm more careful on eating junk food and pizza. ;-) Lost 25 pounds, and would like to lose about 10 more, and get some strength training done and killer abs before my wedding. I know 25 pounds doesn't seem much, but I was at my heaviest at 151 and I'm 5'! I used to be able to wolf down entire pizza pie. Now, I get sick after 2 slices.  So I must be doing something good. :-)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Because I'm cool like that. :-) I like to give my opinions and get advice as well. I like reading stories about people's triathlon experiences.  Let's ROCK it!!

2012-04-03 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4128387

User image

Master
Sin City
kenj - 2012-04-03 6:05 PM

I graduated two weeks ago, and won Best of Show for my Portfolio! :-) WHAHOOOO!! I'm done baby...now...it's just me, the couch, video games, and oh yeah, some SBR. :-D

2012-04-03 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4128417

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-03 9:17 PM
kenj - 2012-04-03 6:05 PM

I graduated two weeks ago, and won Best of Show for my Portfolio! :-) WHAHOOOO!! I'm done baby...now...it's just me, the couch, video games, and oh yeah, some SBR. :-D

Ahh, I knew you completed the work I didn't realize that your graduation was then too!  Congratulations on graduating and the Best of Show award! 

2012-04-03 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4128363

New user
Walterboro
rpmfast - 2012-04-03 7:50 PM

Where are you moving to on the east coast?  I'm doing a half in Augusta,Ga on Sept 30.  I was 240 lbs November of 2010.  I lost 50 lbs by my first triathlon in May 2011.  Put a few lbs back on but there are on their way out.  I'm going to drop another 20 by Ironman Florida this year.  So as far as the weightloss goes, hoping won't get you very far but hard work will.  I have two girls,9 and 6, and I needed to lose the weight and get healthy for them and I found a way to have fun on the way.  It's kind of a demented, self-torturing kind of fun but fun anyway.  You can do it and this group will be great support.  Just stick with it!  

2012-04-03 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

DJ - you are too funny - congrats again on the graduation!

Congrats to all those who have lost weight on their journeys - amazing to read the success stories- very inspiring!

I look forward to hearing more -  bring on the questions/comments!

2012-04-04 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4127530

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Lynie13 - 2012-04-03 1:59 PM

My Bio...Lynda

Story  --  Well...I'm now 50 years old, ugh! But still act like I'm 30ish. I'm 5' 6" and currently weigh in at 170 lbs. I work in the printing industry and have for over 25 years. A desk job that is! Was an avid field hockey player in HS and College. Also coached thereafter for a few years. A few of my favorite activities are downhill skiing, swimming, and mild mountain biking. Running has never been a favorite, but I'd rather run than walk, you get there faster!

Like many people, my weight has fluctuated over the years. As has my level of activity. Over the past year I've been visiting with our occupational health expert (approx. 2-3 times monthly), who is also a personal trainer. She has helped me with my exercise and eating habits. Since then I've lost 10 lbs. Should be more over the course of a year! She suggested a 5K. Not being a huge fan of running, I thought triathlon. If there's a will, there's a way! So here I am starting a completely new venture, with running included!

Family Status  --  Married for 17 years. Wish he were as supportive as all the other spouses are! We have a 14 year old son. He was bullied two years ago for his weight. Since then he's lost over 50 lbs. and is the most disciplined and incredible kid when it comes to eating and exercise. I can't keep enough fruit and veggies in the house! I find my inspiration from him. He just finished his first year wrestling and made it to "State's"! He and dad go to the gym several times a week and are both in awesome shape. I hope to join them in the shape dept...

Current Training  --  Second week, on the treadmill a minimum of four x's a week. Fast pace walk and get a couple of jobs in. Increasing the job vs. walk time. I don't go to the gym with my "boys", too expensive. We have the treadmill, free weights and a pool right at home. Getting my bike this weekend to start mixing that into my training. And once the weather warms up, getting in the pool, then the lake for more intensive training.

2012 Races  --  Starting with one to see how I do. A Sprint Triathlon in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine, in July.

Goal  --  Become healthier, lighter, and look better in my bathing suit! Surprised

Lynda I think it is great that you are not only helping yourself towards a healthier lifestyle, but inspiring your son at the same time.  He sounds like a great kid to be able to have that discipline at that age.  It isn't easy to lose weight at his age. 

There are some great training plans on BT for first time participants.  If you go to the programs button at the top it will list them out along with some sample weeks and a description.

2012-04-04 7:04 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Ok, I think we will have about 5 more joining us.  A couple from our winter group and a couple more that PM'd me and will be posting sometime in the next couple of days.  I will do up a list with links that makes it easier to bounce between each others work out logs sometime after I get back home Sunday or early in the week.

A few pointers that help make being part of the group easier:

First, down at the bottom there is a button for toggle e-mail alerts.  If you click it and turn it on, you will get all of these posts via email so it may be easier to keep up. 

Second, if you add us as friends, you keep your blog private if you choose and we will still be able to see what you are up to!

Next, post all your workouts here, even if you have a coach and use a different program with the coach.  It helps us to comment on your training, especially if you ask a question or are seeking input.

Finally, use the inspire feature with each other as much as possible.  (I was a little slack with this last time with my travels).  Everyone likes a little note of encouragement! 

If you need any help in using these features, there are several of us that have been around here for a while and more than willing to help guide you through them. 

2012-04-04 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

First,  Thanks Ken, for hosting this group!  All of the bios are inspirational in themselves.

Since there are a lot of Yankees here, I'm wondering when you start OWS training.  Last year I started swimming in my backyard pool once I opened it and hit around 67F.  I was a non-swimming rock and had no cold weather gear for swimming.  It took some getting used to, but no real problems with the temperature.  Thankfully, I've outgrown my pool in terms of distance, and when I can I fit it in I swim with a masters group.  Since I have a June 3 HIM, I'm getting antsy to work on OWS (which I either do in the Hudson river, or in a lake about 30 minutes from me).  Thanks to the warm winter, the Hudson is 10 degrees warmer than it was at this time last year (50 deg F now).  I know its still too soon but when would you jump in? I'm thinking ~55F might be safe now that I have a wetsuit and just ordered a neoprene cap, socks, and gloves (My wife is going to cut up my credit card soon).

Happy training!

Most recent instantaneous value: 10.3   04-04-2012  09:45 EST 
Graph of  Temperature, water, degrees Celsius

2012-04-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4129474

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2012-04-04 11:15 AM

First,  Thanks Ken, for hosting this group!  All of the bios are inspirational in themselves.

Since there are a lot of Yankees here, I'm wondering when you start OWS training.  Last year I started swimming in my backyard pool once I opened it and hit around 67F.  I was a non-swimming rock and had no cold weather gear for swimming.  It took some getting used to, but no real problems with the temperature.  Thankfully, I've outgrown my pool in terms of distance, and when I can I fit it in I swim with a masters group.  Since I have a June 3 HIM, I'm getting antsy to work on OWS (which I either do in the Hudson river, or in a lake about 30 minutes from me).  Thanks to the warm winter, the Hudson is 10 degrees warmer than it was at this time last year (50 deg F now).  I know its still too soon but when would you jump in? I'm thinking ~55F might be safe now that I have a wetsuit and just ordered a neoprene cap, socks, and gloves (My wife is going to cut up my credit card soon).

Happy training!

Good question! I have the benefit of 2 pools, high school where I can swim the masters and Y where I take lessons with the tri group and swim early in the morning.  In the summer we have Canandaigua lake, which is one of the finger lakes.  We swim a buoy line which is about a mile out and back.  Plus at any point along the buoys it is never more than neck level.  The buoy line is put in just prior to Memorial Day weekend, which works out since the first race is the first weekend in June.

Temperature wise, I force myself in at least once prior to the race just to get a wet suit swim in, but it is usually in the low 60's by then.  This year, unless things change, I am guessing it will be in the upper 60's!

Now swimming in the Hudson, doesn't that offer a whole host of other issues besides temperatures? Wink

2012-04-04 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Sin City

Bill - Since I live here in Vegas, OWS is pretty much available all year. Due to the very mild winter we had (it lasted like a month), the water is a little warmer than last year.   

I think water temps is also relying on how much you can handle the cold water. You'll never know until you jump in. 

When May starts, the Tri Club has OWS every Wednesday night (right before dusk, so it'll still be light out. :-)

I would avoid Hudson River often because of the current, it can throw off your times, unless if you swim against the current! 

Edited by CyborgQueen 2012-04-04 10:37 AM

2012-04-04 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR

Hello everyone, I am really excited about being apart of this group.  It sounds like we have some very experienced members... I am looking forward to picking your brains for how to go faster and longer.  Also, I am excited for the newer members too- I can't wait to hear about your first races and to watch you all get hooked on this sport!

So, my first question: living in Oregon and training almost exclusively in the early AM means that I am spending a lot of time on the trainer.  I don't have a power meter (or even a cycle computer on my bike), so I am doing all my trainer sessions using time as my intervals. 

For example, this morning I did 8 sets of: [6 mins moderate spin, 2 mins hard effort in the big ring].  I mix up my time intervals from session to session.  You can go back into my logs to see some other examples. 

Is this good use of my time?  Other ideas of trainer sessions?  I do have a heart rate monitor I could use, but I'm confused on HR zones and how to use them while riding the trainer.

2012-04-04 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4129627

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
n.k - 2012-04-04 11:09 AM

Hello everyone, I am really excited about being apart of this group.  It sounds like we have some very experienced members... I am looking forward to picking your brains for how to go faster and longer.  Also, I am excited for the newer members too- I can't wait to hear about your first races and to watch you all get hooked on this sport!

So, my first question: living in Oregon and training almost exclusively in the early AM means that I am spending a lot of time on the trainer.  I don't have a power meter (or even a cycle computer on my bike), so I am doing all my trainer sessions using time as my intervals. 

For example, this morning I did 8 sets of: [6 mins moderate spin, 2 mins hard effort in the big ring].  I mix up my time intervals from session to session.  You can go back into my logs to see some other examples. 

Is this good use of my time?  Other ideas of trainer sessions?  I do have a heart rate monitor I could use, but I'm confused on HR zones and how to use them while riding the trainer.

N.K. for me, I use a power meter. But what you're doing is in no way a waste of time. RPE is an old tried and true method. Although, with the power meter you do get a new perspective on RPE and most of the time it's pretty shocking. Which is why PM's are sooooo effective.

Other ideas:

I'm not sure what kind of trainer you're using, but kurt kinetic has a powermeter for theirs that can be had for $75

You could study HR a little more and train with HR

You could also train by speed. Get a computer that hooks up to the back wheel. I think trainerroad.com has a plan that's based on using your speed on the trainer.
2012-04-04 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
n.k - 2012-04-04 9:09 AM

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633 - Article will explain on your LT HR.  You'll have to do the test in order to determine your HR Zones. 

Are you following any plans at all or just "winging" it? Usually if there's a plan, it'll tell you the workouts you do in the trainer and what zones your HR should be in.  

You can use spinnervals, TrainerRoad (this will help you figure out the power even though you don't have a PM), to give you some workouts to do in the trainer. 

Other than that, I'm not very "trainer savvy", so I'm sure other people will chime in on what "to do" in the trainer. 

I spend 1 hour or less in the trainer. Anything more, I hit the road. My butt hates the trainer. :-)

2012-04-04 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
n.k - 2012-04-04 12:09 PM

Nole,

I went though the same thought process in the fall, on how to make trainer sessions as productive as possible, since I hate being on the trainer and try to never spend more than an hour on it.  The way I went does require a basic bike computer, but not power meters.  Coach Jorge Martinez provided detailed trainer plans that work off of either power or HR.  I cant do intervals based on HR, because it is a lagging indicator and made me nuts, and no power meter.  Another BTer kindly sent me a spreadsheet that converts speed on a trainer to a power measurement that I call "poor man's power" and populates weeks worth of trainer workouts based on FTP tests (you have to do a 20 minute all out test and a 5 min test, which is brutal).  The idea is that in a controlled environment (no wind or hills) power relates directly to speed.  While the power measurements are based specifically on a Kinetic fluid trainer, I think this process would work with any trainer.  Who cares what your power measurement is if you are only concerned with relative power (hard intervals vs easy) and increasing this measurement over time?  I'm working off of Coach Jorge's year old plan, since thats what the spreadsheet worked with. I'd be happy to email it to you if you want [email protected].  A basic Cateye wireless computer would set you back about $40 on Amazon.  That would give you a speed measurement inside and outside riding.  The plan is basically what you are doing, lots of hard intervals over a 45-60 minute period, but maybe less spinning time.  I'm not good with RPE on a trainer because all I want to do is get off, so I like having fixed, objective targets for each workout.

2012-04-04 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
n.k - 2012-04-04 11:09 AM

For harder workouts I like to use the sufferfest videos (thesufferfest.com) and they are not very expensive - it keeps the boredom at bay and I seem to work harder than when watching t.v.  It may be helpful (at some point) to get some sort of bike computer w/ a cadence sensor on the back wheel (will also give you an estimate of distance). I have used the cateye cordless double strada until it broke a few weeks ago.  Now I am waiting for a garmin sensor that will work with my HRM watch. With that said nothing wrong with going with RPE!

ETA: Jorge's plan was mentioned above - you can find it here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1 - not sure if it is one of the free plans, but I have heard good things from all that have followed it.

Edited by robingray_260 2012-04-04 12:14 PM

2012-04-04 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

speaking of trainers.... I have been waiting a very long time (over a year) for our piece of crap trainer to finally break (it is like 10 years old performance brand trainer and I have to have the TV volume at max).  The bolt that changes the roller height is now stripped and it is a major PITA to change the height and since my hubby and I have diferent size wheels, well.....

So I am pushing a new trainer and soon! Based on all the reviews I have read I think it is between the kurt kinetic fluid trainer and the Cycleops 2 fluid trainer. What would you all get - do you have a preference?  Price is pretty much identical. Thanks!   

2012-04-04 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4129808

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
robingray_260 - 2012-04-04 12:10 PM

speaking of trainers.... I have been waiting a very long time (over a year) for our piece of crap trainer to finally break (it is like 10 years old performance brand trainer and I have to have the TV volume at max).  The bolt that changes the roller height is now stripped and it is a major PITA to change the height and since my hubby and I have diferent size wheels, well.....

So I am pushing a new trainer and soon! Based on all the reviews I have read I think it is between the kurt kinetic fluid trainer and the Cycleops 2 fluid trainer. What would you all get - do you have a preference?  Price is pretty much identical. Thanks!   

I prefer the KK because of the inexpensive powermeter you can get for it, and I found a great deal on it. Had mine for a year now and it's great. Either of those are great choices though.
2012-04-04 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4129474

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
bdenehy - 2012-04-04 11:15 AM

Happy training!

I start near the end of May average temp is 55. I have a full suit, hood, gloves, booties basically the works....It's not really that bad but I've done a lot of scuba diving and I'm pretty comfortable in the water and used to cold water.

I don't really have any pool access during the winter. There is a tri club that does swim training in the winter once a week. The pool's about an hours drive for me. I just couldn't swing it this past winter.

2012-04-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4129523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-04 11:34 AM

Bill - Since I live here in Vegas, OWS is pretty much available all year. Due to the very mild winter we had (it lasted like a month), the water is a little warmer than last year.   

I think water temps is also relying on how much you can handle the cold water. You'll never know until you jump in. 

When May starts, the Tri Club has OWS every Wednesday night (right before dusk, so it'll still be light out. :-)

I would avoid Hudson River often because of the current, it can throw off your times, unless if you swim against the current! 

Thanks DJ and Ken.  So I guess its not a safety issue below 60.  I'll just have to see if its for me.  I swim accross the river and back so the current hurts a little since i like to end where i started (swim upstream a bit on the return), but time isnt my concern right now so much as going farther without stopping.  Its closer to me than the closest lake, but I'll probably move to the lake once the speed boat crowd starts filling up the river.  BTW, I'm way jealous of anyone living in or around Vegas...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 78