BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-22 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Opened
Is there still room? I'm in if there is. Bio to come as soon as I know I'm in.

2012-12-22 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4544886

User image

Expert
MI
Bhargav, what part of India are you from?  I've been there twice (two months at a time) so I've been to a few places...!
2012-12-22 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4545115

User image

Expert
MI

RunningYogini - 2012-12-22 11:12 AM I shouldn't have to swim a minimum of 6000 yards a week (I wish I could get that much time in the pool) to go from a back-of-the-pack (like last out of the water) swimmer to a mere middle-of-the-pack swimmer in a 500 yard sprint!  Seriously!!!!!  Swimming is HARD for me!!!!

heh, I feel like that's how it is with me and biking... I feel like I've put in a lot of time into it to be MOP approaching BOP Tongue out

2012-12-22 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4545295

User image

Expert
MI
Eric, hello fellow Michigander! Smile I live in SE Michigan. Are you looking to stay in the Lansing area for your triathlons?  Also, I'm with you on the go Big Ten, but I'm a graduate of U of M myself.
2012-12-22 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4545462

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2012-12-22 8:43 PM

Spent some time working on my bike tonight. I changed out the rear tire and then tried to install my Garmin cadence monitor. I also signed up for and downloaded TrainerRoad. Sounds like I should be ready to go but NO. Seems TR does not pair with my HR monitor which is not a Garmin. My Garmin HR monitor died last spring and my husband replaced it with an Orion Pacific watch + monitor he found cheap online. Also I don't think I must have paired my Garmin 305 and the cadence monitor correctly because I was not getting any data from my watch. What I did get during the ride was my cadence # which was really very motivating and made me work harder than normal. I also liked how the program paused itself if I got off and kept track of time for each interval.

I'm assuming that I did not get any power numbers since TR did not recognize a heart rate? Otherwise I did not install the cadence monitor correctly and I'll have to start all over. But it did show me a cadence number so that is something!

Also, does anyone know if I have to buy a Garmin HR monitor for this all to work?

I'm not very patient with tech stuff but I'm forcing myself to learn how to do this myself. Well, with your help of courseWink.

Dina I took a quick look and mind you I am not expert but TR does support different types of HR monitors. I think as long as they are ANT+ TR will support them according to the website however they don't list all the ones that they specifically support. They only listed four manufactures Garmin being one of them and the infamous many more. Worse case you may be able to contact them ask.

2012-12-22 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4545509

User image

Bronze member
strikyr - 2012-12-22 8:47 PM

Spent some time working on my bike tonight. I changed out the rear tire and then tried to install my Garmin cadence monitor. I also signed up for and downloaded TrainerRoad. Sounds like I should be ready to go but NO. Seems TR does not pair with my HR monitor which is not a Garmin. My Garmin HR monitor died last spring and my husband replaced it with an Orion Pacific watch + monitor he found cheap online. Also I don't think I must have paired my Garmin 305 and the cadence monitor correctly because I was not getting any data from my watch. What I did get during the ride was my cadence # which was really very motivating and made me work harder than normal. I also liked how the program paused itself if I got off and kept track of time for each interval.

I'm assuming that I did not get any power numbers since TR did not recognize a heart rate? Otherwise I did not install the cadence monitor correctly and I'll have to start all over. But it did show me a cadence number so that is something!

Also, does anyone know if I have to buy a Garmin HR monitor for this all to work?

I'm not very patient with tech stuff but I'm forcing myself to learn how to do this myself. Well, with your help of courseWink.

Dina I took a quick look and mind you I am not expert but TR does support different types of HR monitors. I think as long as they are ANT+ TR will support them according to the website however they don't list all the ones that they specifically support. They only listed four manufactures Garmin being one of them and the infamous many more. Worse case you may be able to contact them ask.

Oh I bet this one I have is not ANT +. Thanks Tony for checking.

2012-12-22 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4545511

User image

New York
trigal38 - 2012-12-22 9:58 PM

I had the same problem with my Polar heart rate monitor not being ANT+ compatible. You might have to consider a Garmin or some of the other brands like Timex, Wahoo etc. Here is a link to the ANT+ website - try selecting Heart rate Monitors under "categories" on the left side and it should give you all the compatible products out there. Hope this helps

http://www.thisisant.com/directory/?

Edited by bhargavs 2012-12-22 9:42 PM
2012-12-22 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4545488

User image

New York

michgirlsk - 2012-12-22 9:23 PM Bhargav, what part of India are you from?  I've been there twice (two months at a time) so I've been to a few places...!

That's great! Where have you been to? I'm originally from a place called Chennai in South India but we travelled a lot when I was a kid, so I've lived in Mumbai and Delhi for a while too.

2012-12-22 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4545554

User image

Expert
MI
bhargavs - 2012-12-22 10:46 PM

michgirlsk - 2012-12-22 9:23 PM Bhargav, what part of India are you from?  I've been there twice (two months at a time) so I've been to a few places...!

That's great! Where have you been to? I'm originally from a place called Chennai in South India but we travelled a lot when I was a kid, so I've lived in Mumbai and Delhi for a while too.

Well, I've been to many places so I never know how to respond to this question. Tongue out But basically, I've been to Delhi, Rajasthan, and then all the states along the western coast down to Kerala... a couple places in Tamil Nadu (including Chennai although I didn't do much there, it was more of a transit city for me), and then Varanasi too... I think that covers it on a basic level.  I also know a little Tamil.  I can count to two, and I can say thank you... NANDRI Laughing

2012-12-22 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4545478

User image

NH
kickitinok - 2012-12-22 9:10 PMIs there still room? I'm in if there is. Bio to come as soon as I know I'm in.
Looks like you're in! Welcome.

Edited by wbayek 2012-12-22 10:20 PM
2012-12-22 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4545560

User image

New York
michgirlsk - 2012-12-22 11:05 PM
bhargavs - 2012-12-22 10:46 PM

Well, I've been to many places so I never know how to respond to this question. Tongue out But basically, I've been to Delhi, Rajasthan, and then all the states along the western coast down to Kerala... a couple places in Tamil Nadu (including Chennai although I didn't do much there, it was more of a transit city for me), and then Varanasi too... I think that covers it on a basic level.  I also know a little Tamil.  I can count to two, and I can say thank you... NANDRI Laughing

Ha! I'm impressed! Vanakkam Laughing

2012-12-22 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4545501

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

michgirlsk - 2012-12-22 9:38 PM Eric, hello fellow Michigander! Smile I live in SE Michigan. Are you looking to stay in the Lansing area for your triathlons?  Also, I'm with you on the go Big Ten, but I'm a graduate of U of M myself.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!

Eric went to that other Michigan school.  But I guess we'll let that one slide this time. Wink

2012-12-23 12:13 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

I found a used 2005 Felt S25 tri bike.  It's a size 54.  I looked at it today.  It's a solid bike.  It doesn't appear to have any problems.  It doesn't appear to have been crashed.  It shifts super smooth.  The wheels spin pretty good and only appear to be slightly out of true.  It seems to have all of the stock stuff.  Nothing more than behind the seat bottle holders are added on.  It still has the crappy stock saddle, too.

How much would you pay for this bike?  (Of course, I would take it to my friendly Felt dealer for a check up.)

A friend of mine (out of town) is looking for a tri bike and used is right up her alley.  What kind of measurements should she do on herself to help me figure out if this bike would fit her?

2012-12-23 1:28 AM
in reply to: #4545295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

USERNAME: pistuo  Name: Will

STORY: I'm a 34yr old Texan.  I've always enjoyed sports (b-ball, soccer, etc).  Got into tri a few years back after my best friend did a Sprint and told me about it.  I had to learn how to swim from scratch, but picked it up much faster than I thought.  I had never biked before either and never ran long distances.  I dont train near enough to think about getting on a podium... I'm happy finishing MOP.  I completed a Sprint with only a few months of training.  Later that year I finished another one.  The next year I made the jump to the HIM where I was pleased w/ my S & B but bonked on the run.  After the HIM last year, my wife made me give up biking (trying to make babies).  So, I focused on my weakness: running.  I did a marathon this year.  My job makes it very hard for me to work out in the summers (I'm out of town about half the time).  

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years.  Tried for over 3 years to get pregnant... 2 miscarriages... but 1st baby is due March 15!  Looking for girl names if you have any!

JOB: Youth Minister 

CURRENT TRAINING: Now that wife is pregnant, I've got clearance to get back on the bike.  Hopefully it wont take me too long to regain all the bike fitness I've lost.  I'm training about 4 hrs per week right now, but ready to ramp it up a bit to 6-8 hrs.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Thinking about going for the full IM (looking at Beach to Battleship in Oct 2013)... yes, I'm crazy.  But, this year may be my only chance.  I get an extra 3 weeks off work this year for "replenishment."  If I can work it out to where I take these 3 weeks during the peak of my training, I'm thinking I can pull it off.  But, still not sure how first baby is going to affect things.  And not sure I can go that distance with my limited exp.  I'm planning on using this group to help me decide.  If I go for it, it will probably be just to finish.  The plan right now is to build fitness/base and start the beginner training plan mid-summer if I decide to go for it... would love to squeeze a 100 mile bike race in as part of prep.

LAST SEASONS RACES: New Orleans marathon - bonked the last 3 miles.

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES:  I'd have to go with the HIM.  I felt the marathon was equally tough though.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm around 198.  Would like to get back down to 178ish.  Need some serious accountability to get off cokes and learn what foods to eat.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm considering knocking the full IM off the bucket list, but am in no way ready.  I stink at nutrition and it showed in both my long races.  I'm not in shape.  I've never trained or raced using HR... dont even know my zones.  So, I'm in desperate need of both great advice and support.  Ha!

2012-12-23 1:39 AM
in reply to: #4545620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

Yogini - I have a felt and really like it.  People on the main forums will tell you that fit is #1 consideration, but if she's on a budget then I would tell her to at least go to local bike shop and they should be able to tell her what size bike she needs just by seeing her stand over one... as for price, that's a pretty common bike... you should be able to find some comparisons on craigslist or even ask your bike shop... 

here's one that sold on BT last year:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=238643

2012-12-23 1:43 AM
in reply to: #4545274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Karl - when I started, I couldn't make it down the lane... 25 meters.  You can do it!  If you dont have any friends that can help you, I recommend trying to "make friends" with ppl at the pool... ones that look like they know what they're doing.  And if you can afford some swimming lessons, I highly recommend it.  

2012-12-23 4:45 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Will, congratulations on the pregnancy!  It will change your life forever, for the better! 
2012-12-23 4:58 AM
in reply to: #4545501

User image

Michigan

michgirlsk - 2012-12-22 8:38 PM Eric, hello fellow Michigander! Smile I live in SE Michigan. Are you looking to stay in the Lansing area for your triathlons?  Also, I'm with you on the go Big Ten, but I'm a graduate of U of M myself.

Samantha,

I guess I am planning to stay close at least for the first race, just to keep it as simple as possible.  I'm going to study schedules / etc and make some decisions on targets and plans over the next week or two.  Do you have any recommendations / favorites (in Lansing, or anywhere else?)

As far as that Go Blue thing, that's ok by me most days of the year - but in head to head, I am a GO GREEN / GO WHITE, banks of the Red Cedar guy!

2012-12-23 5:21 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

I'm sure ya'll all know this site but it is awesome for finding routes and distaces.   www.runningahead.com

Good luck!

2012-12-23 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4545549

User image

Bronze member
bhargavs - 2012-12-22 9:40 PM

I had the same problem with my Polar heart rate monitor not being ANT+ compatible. You might have to consider a Garmin or some of the other brands like Timex, Wahoo etc. Here is a link to the ANT+ website - try selecting Heart rate Monitors under "categories" on the left side and it should give you all the compatible products out there. Hope this helps

I might as well just get the Garmin since I have the 305 anyway. Thanks!

2012-12-23 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4545567

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

wbayek - 2012-12-22 11:19 PM
kickitinok - 2012-12-22 9:10 PMIs there still room? I'm in if there is. Bio to come as soon as I know I'm in.
Looks like you're in! Welcome.

You've made it into the Junkies Trina.

And with Trina that will close the group.

1. Karl - KWDreamun*
  2. Tony - strikyr*
  3. David - dmiller5
  4. Tracy - RunningYogini*
  5. Jen - jenbmosley
  6. Joanne - jo63*
  7. Matt - mambos*
  8. Jackie - jpbis26
  9. Dina - trigal38*
  10. Samantha - michgirlsk*
  11. Bhargav - Bhargavs
  12. Eric - kaehlin
  13.       - danvan
  14. Will - pistuo
  15. Trina - kickitinok

2012-12-23 6:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Man I go shopping for a day and Iam 4 pages behind.... I got a call from one of my sisters yesterday she just found out she has breast cancer her name is Margie, could you please send some prayers her way, she has an appointment Wednesday with a specialist to find out the details.
2012-12-23 7:10 AM

User image

Bronze member

Wow Will, lots going on, congratulations on the baby! How exciting! And thinking about an IM too, I'm wore out just reading your bio.

How does your wife feel about you attempting an IM? You've already completed a half and marathon so she should have a pretty realistic idea of the # of hours you'll be training. Do you have to sign up before the baby is born? I would wait to sign up if you could. You just never know, you may feel it is not so important once that little bundle arrives . It's hard to imagine now, with nothing to hold or snuggle up to, but the Daddies I've been around don't really want to let those baby girls for very long when they have a chance to hold them.

Now I'm getting all sentimental thinking about when mine were babies.

2012-12-23 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
User name: Jo63 Name: JoAnne

Story: back in high school I was involved in track and cross country along the way I did various sports, volleyball baseball etc, I was never a great runner I did it mostly for the social part. I saw Ironman on tv back I the 80s and thought wow I want to do that someday. So in 2006 I started training, I have done sprints, and Olympic, a half and attempted my first IRONMAN this year. After being sick for almost 3 months and getting myself healthy i am ready to build again and do the things I should have done starting 6years ago!

Family Status: I have been married to an amazing supportive husband for 29 years! We have 3 kids, our oldest son, 28 who is married and going to law school is in the Army reserves he decided to do this at the age of 26 crazy kid, our daughter 26 who works for me and bought her first house all on her own a year ago, and is thinking about doing a tri with me this summer and our youngest son 25, who is currently studying hard to take some tests to become a financial advisor. Had to brag a little cuz Iam so proud of all of them.

Job: I own a SalonSpa and have 16 employees that keep me on my toes, opening this salon in 2007 is one of the reasons my training falls off the tracks from time to time. I am finally getting some people involved to help me so I can get my training time in. This is one of the hardest things for me as Iam a control freak But I figure I least I know it.

Current Training: I am working out 1 day a week with a trainer on strength and I am trying to fit in another day on my own otherwise it's a little here a little there. I am pretty sure I have races picked for next year and once I sign up I will be back to 6 days of training.

Last years Races: I did my first Marathon last year! I also did a 10 miler, an Olympic distance, and Ironman WI (I only made it to mile 85 on the bike) this was very disappointing.

This years races: the plan is to do a HM in early May, I am thinking about doing Syracuse 70.3 or Racine 70.3 and then something in the fall not sure what.

Weight Loss: I am looking to loose about 15 pounds I am having some trouble getting that back on track with this too. The new training is going to take 1session and sit down and go over all of that with me. I feel like I know what I should be doing but then he stated asking me questions on how many carb/protein at each meal and I had no clue.....

2012-12-23 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4545686

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
trigal38 - 2012-12-23 7:33 AM
bhargavs - 2012-12-22 9:40 PM

I might as well just get the Garmin since I have the 305 anyway. Thanks!

I don't know anything about TR but it was mentioned earlier that the HR monitor needed to be ANT+ and the 305 is not, is it?  I had a 305 before I got the Mercedes (910XT) and it needed to be cradled to get data from it.  I did a few minutes of checking and I didn't see anything that said anything without ANT+ would work.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119