Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-01-08 8:14 PM
in reply to: #646295

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: zia_cyclist's Group - FULL

That is skimpy.  Sounds like you might have to bring your own nutrition?

Nutrition, like lots of other training issues, is personal.  And, should be practiced during training sessions. 

If 200-300 calories works for you then that's the way to go.  For me, 300 calories would be too much on a run.  In IM I plan on ~250 calories per hour. 

TJ

2007-01-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: #647080

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

wmthacher - 2007-01-08 7:47 PM Hi Everyone: I back from sprint across American 2 1/2 day of driving. All good except your boys in Texas got me for speeding. I missed my normal big weekend ride and I have my 1st century of the year this Saturday. What do you think my training schedule should be for this week?. I did 42 bike miles this morning and I was thinking of doing a 15 mile run Tues., and another 42 mile bike on Wed, something lite (Swim 2800 yards) on Thurs, rest Fri. I need to keep on the tri training. Will

Hi Will,

Glad you had a safe trip.

I assume your century ride is just that; a ride.   Do you plan to ride this as a HIM training ride?  If so, your schedule sounds good to me.  It will give you an opportunity to practice your on bike nutrition. 

TJ

2007-01-08 8:38 PM
in reply to: #631645

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hi Group,

One of my goals is to improve my run speed.  I've been wondering at what pace should I be running in order to improve my speed.  To race fast you have to train fast.  I heard about this running pace calculator at this web site: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm .  It seems accurate.  I punched in some of my times and it predicted fairly close to my actuals.  I'm thinking about doing some of my runs based on pace (as opposed to HR).  My long runs will still be HR based and in z1-2.  But I'm thinking of adding some tempo and track workouts.

Check this site out and let me know what you think.

TJ

2007-01-09 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
I checked it out. A cool tool. Saved it to my favorites, so that means something.

Punched in some of my numbers and the computer started smoking.

I like the fact that it is simple and gives you lots of distances to choose from. I'll be surfing the rest of the site later.

Thanks for sharing.
2007-01-09 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hi group,

How about we discuss Lactate Threshold Heart Rate testing.  I ran an LT HR test this past weekend.  I'll post my numbers and we can discuss.  If you have LT HR test numbers, go ahead and post those and we'll discuss those as well.  I've posted these number in the training plan support area also and have the coaches opinions also. 

January 7, 2007
Time: 20'
Pace: 7:49
Distance: 2.57 miles
Avg HR: 172
Max HR: 175 

April, 2006 my data for an LT test was:
Avg Pace: 8:36
Distance: 2.30 miles
Avg HR: 172

Any comments, opinions, etc.?

TJ

2007-01-10 5:24 AM
in reply to: #648580

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Ok, you lost me here. Is that the test that you use to get your training zones to use with a heart rate monitor? How does the test work? Do you do it yourself, or do you pay someone else to do it for you? I have a heart rate monitor - but I haven't been able to figure out what any of the information means, so I don't use it. I would love to figure out what all that stuff means, and how you know your zones and stuff

2007-01-10 5:59 AM
in reply to: #648696

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Mandy,

Yes.  It's a test to determine Heart Rate (HR) training zones.  There are several ways to determine HR training zones.  The most common and the ones you usually see at health clubs and aerobics classes are the formulas, like 220 - age = max heart rate.  Then use a chart to determine the different zones.  These formulas don't work well for athletes. 

The other extreme are lab tests where they draw blood while you are running on a tread mill.  The blood test looks for the concentration of lactate in your blood.  Lactate is a byproduct of your muscles burning glycogen and increases as the muscle work load increases.  The blood test is looking for the point where your muscles produce more lactate than your body can eliminate from the blood stream.  Too much lactate causes fatigue.  This break over point is called the Lactate Threshold and the heart rate associated with the Lactate Threshold (LT) is the Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR). 

Most of us don't have access to a lab or want to spend the $$ for the tests.  Several coaches and researchers have developed Field Tests to determine Lactate Threshold Heart Rate.  This is what I did.  To determine your LTHR using a field test, you run (or bike) a 30 minute time trial, meaning run the fastest pace that you can maintain for 30 minutes.  After 10 minutes of running, hit the lap button on your Heart Rate Monitor (HRM).  This will give you the data for the last 20 minutes of the test.  This is the data I'm showing above.  The average HR for the final 20 minutes of the time trial is what we are after.  This average HR is a very good approximation of LTHR.

Next you take the average HR and use the charts developed by Joe Friel (triathlon guru) to determine your HR training zones.  There is also a simple spreadsheet developed by Mike Ricci.  Plug in your average HR (or LTHR) and it gives you your training zones.  I've attached the spreadsheet. 

Running an LTHR test is not easy.  You really have to push yourself.  The key is to run a pace that you can maintain for the full 30 minutes.  On Saturday I started out too fast and blew up after 15 minutes.  I tried again on Sunday and was able to run the full 30 minutes. 

Ask more questions and I'll try to answer. 

TJ

Attachments
----------------
HRzones(1).xls (18KB - 62 downloads)
2007-01-10 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
I try to get my mind wrapped around this subject by thinking of it in these terms:

1) The LT test (whatever method is used) is a gauge of improvement performance from one test to the next, say in a year's time or six months. This "improvement" confirms that your training has been effective.

2) Examples:
Case 1
Test #1 in Jan 2006 - Ran 20' @ 9:00 pace w/ HR of 170
Test #2 in Jan 2007 - Ran 20' @ 8:00 pace w/ HR of 170
Result = Ran at a faster pace while maintaining the SAME heart rate.

Case 2
Test #1 in Jan 2006 - Ran 20' @ 9:00 pace w/ HR of 170
Test #2 in Jan 2007 - Ran 20' @ 9:00 pace w/ HR of 155
Result = Ran at the SAME pace while maintaining a REDUCED heart rate.

3) The goal of training "smart" is to be able to perform faster/longer, and heart rate data as measured and collected by the HRM is the tool or mechanism for confirming and gauging this performance improvement or progress.

4) The HR training zones will vary from one individual to the next and need to be established using sound methodology. (There's lots of methods and theories.)

5) Here's where I get a little *confused*:
Virtually all training programs seem to emphasize training in easy Zone 1 or 2.
But if you always train in Zone 1 or 2 at "X pace", then you'll always perform at "X pace".

At some point do you start training in Zone 3 or 4 so that you'll get faster/better?

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Comments?

Edited by jkron 2007-01-10 8:12 AM
2007-01-10 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
In both examples it shows increase in aerobic capacity. Yes, it is confusing as there is a lot of training in z1, z2. As you enter different periods of your training you begin to incorporate different levels of training.
short abbreviated example

Prep - this is time of training to train
Base (1,2,3)
1 - improves endurance and max strength
2 - force and muscular endurance are introduced - moderate intensity is being introduced
3 - volume reaches peak here normally - intensity has increased again here
Build - during build periods volume is reduced but your intesity again rises here
peak - volume drops again as race intensity is emphasized

Also break through (BT) workouts are scheduled into your training program. These workouts challenge you depending on what period of training you are in

Recovery workouts are also scheduled in especially after BT workouts (easy workouts)

Key here is that if we go out to hard to early we will have issues farther down the year. You want to peak for your "a" race you have planned. Thus early in the year you train alot in z1 and z2 but you progress into harder workouts but the z1, z2's stay with you.
---
if I missed any key areas feel free to add or even dispute/disagree. It's a tough understanding of the whole process at times.

just my 2 cents

Edited by jpb0009 2007-01-10 8:51 AM
2007-01-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: #647144

Hingham, MA
TJ: I am a runner - this conversion table looks pretty accurate. If you are going to improve your time i think these pacing charts will help when used with a HRM.

I am still an advocate of mixing it up and using tempo and fartlek training to get FAST!

BTW - this is in response to the macmillan chart TJ posted - i am catching up a bit

Scott

Edited by scottymack 2007-01-10 12:54 PM
2007-01-10 12:56 PM

Wow, am I behind the curve you guys seem to know a lot. I just got a HRM that I am using and I have started to read up on it. I will try for my first LTHR test next week and will post results for your comments.
Will

2007-01-11 5:54 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

These are all good comments about HR training.  I posted my HR numbers in the Training Plan Support forum. Coach Mike Ricci confirmed that I had improved my aerobic fitness - I am able to run further, faster at the same HR.  I expected to see my LTHR increase a few beats, i.e. move to 173 or 175, but Mike said that doesn't always happen. 

In addition to each period in a training plan emphasizing a particular HR training zone (as Jamie stated), each workout should have a goal or purpose and an appropriate HR zone.  In most of the BT Gold Plans, each workout will state something like Endurance or Form or Speed.  This is the purpose of the workout.  Then the workout write up will tell me what HR to train in.  Most HIM and IM training plans will have most of the workouts in HR training zones 1 and 2.  The plan I use here on BT also has some workouts going into Z 3.

The type of race you are training for will also dictate the HR training zones.  Sprint and Olympic distance race training plans will have many more workouts in zone 4 than an IM or HIM training plan.  Sprint and Oly races are short enough that you can race at or just below LTHR.  So z4 workouts are needed to raise your LTHR and train your body to race at this high intensity.  HIM and IM races are too long to race at your LTHR so most of the training is in Z1-2 in order to improve endurance. 

However, once you have a good endurance base, the only way to race faster is to train faster.

TJ

2007-01-11 5:57 AM
in reply to: #649364

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

wmthacher - 2007-01-10 12:56 PM Wow, am I behind the curve you guys seem to know a lot. I just got a HRM that I am using and I have started to read up on it. I will try for my first LTHR test next week and will post results for your comments. Will

Will,

No problem.  Post your number here and we'll help you interpret them.

TJ

2007-01-11 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Tommy/Jamie,

Your comments confirm what my basic thought was: In order to get faster, at some point you've got to train faster.

I think I'm getting some clarity on this whole "train smarter" mantra...

I'm going to determine BEFORE a workout what I plan to ACHIEVE during that workout and the BENIFIT I'm going to derive from it, instead of just going through the motions and piling up the miles.
2007-01-15 6:07 PM

Hi Everyone:
First ride (Octoillo,CA., 102 Mi., 5:49 time, 4300 ft climb) of the year didn't go as planned. Conditions horrible: Start was 29 Degrees, High was 39. No tail wind on 1st half, Head wind 11 mph way back. Forcast was for Sun and 50 Degrees. Last year's ride had a high of 90 degrees. Lesson: Never under estimate Nature. This was a Desert Ride and clouds moved in quick with wind and cold tempatures. I brought all my cold weather gear but choose to ride in shorts and windbreaker (Big Mistake). I thought I was going to lose a few digits along the way. Time and Speed were good, considering head wind and the fact that I pulled 90 percert of the ride. I was pleased with my Cadance at 76 Avg. I was a masher, but have been training to spin more and have brought up cadance approx 16 rpm. HR seems to have been good at 144 Avg. but I will know better once I do stress test/LTHR and figure out my zones. Hydration was poor(approx 3 bottles) due to extreme cold.
2007-01-16 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
One of the challenges of this sport AND the training, is dealing with Mother Nature and the elements.

Over time, we eventually learn most of the tricks, but sooner or later, we always have a run, ride or race that winds up being a sufferfest.

2007-01-16 6:38 PM
in reply to: #655573

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job, Will.  You pulled 90% of the time!  What was everyone else doing; just sitting back and sucking your wheel? 

Your hydration may not have been as bad as you think since the weather was cold.  How did you feel?  The goal in your hydration and nutrition plan is to delay fatigue until after the finish line.  It's not to replace all the calories you burn or replace all the fluid you sweat.  So 3 bottles may have been OK since it was cold and you probably weren't sweating that much.

I'm so ready for warm weather. 

TJ

2007-01-16 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
While we're chatting about hydration/nutrition; here's a topic for discussion...

CRAMPS. Specifically leg cramps during a race or intense training effort or maybe not so intense training. If you read my RR for the Marathon, you'll know why I'm asking.

Why do they happen? What can prevent them? What do you do when you get them during a race?

I don't know if my experience is related to hydration/nutrition because I thought I had done everything right...
1) Good training and physical preparation leading up to the race.
2) Ate and drank (no alcohol) well the days before and on race morning.
3) Was taking gels (w/4X sodium) and drinking regularly during the race.
4) Weather was 50° and overcast, slight drizzle at times, light wind.
5) I wore shorts and 2 light shirts because they'd predicted cold storms blowing in during the race. I sweated, but never overheated. The legs were never chilled.
6) I was pushing myself steadily, but I was feeling good (as good as you can after 19 miles) and wasn't above a level I hadn't been before.

Let's hear it...

Ideas. Experiences, good & bad. Advice.
2007-01-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: #657142

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Jim,

I haven't had problems with cramps so can't really speak from experience.  The 'conventional wisdom' is that cramps are due to hyrdration problems and electrolytes.  But these papers on cramps seem to refute that theory.  These two papers talk about older athletes and stretching routines.  Have a read and see if this could help you:

University of Florida

Leg cramps

Leg Cramps II

TJ

edited to add another link.

Edited by zia_cyclist 2007-01-17 10:12 AM
2007-01-17 11:12 AM
in reply to: #657142

My riding partner had a bad problem with cramps during century rides and he hydrates well. He found that the electrolyte piles work great. The following Researcher did a study at the Solvang Ca., Century Ride last year "Study of electrolytes/Solvang Century".
John K. Su, MD MPH
UCLA Sports Medicine
[email protected]
I was going to follow up and see the results but never did. I am sure you can email him and he would give us some great information. I get my electrolytes from http://www.e-caps.com/.

I have had problems with cramps but not during excerise, at night and some time during the day. I have hear that the massage sticks help, but I haven't tried it.
2007-01-17 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

2 years ago, I used to rely on my drinks to supply electrolytes.  I never really considered taking extra electrolytes in another form.  Then a started taking electrolyte tablets I bought at a health food store.  That made a tremendous difference in the fatigue level of my legs, especially during the bike.  Now I use Nuun tablets in water.  I try to get about 600 mg of Na/hour (+all the other electrolytes in the Nuun).  That works well for me.

Do you know how many mg of Na you took in?  Add the Na level from all sources, gels, drinks, etc.

So maybe your cramps are related to electrolytes.  As your legs fatigue due to not enough electrolytes then they start to cramp.

TJ

Edited by zia_cyclist 2007-01-17 7:53 PM

2007-01-18 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
I read the articles about cramps. Good stuff. Even among the experts, there still seems to be a fair bit of mystery as to the cause and prevention.

I've come to the conclusion that IF an electrolyte imbalance/shortage contributed to my cramps, then MAYBE the shortage was caused by the fact that due to the cool day, I just didn't drink enough during the early stages of the race.

MAYBE if I hadn't worn 2 shirts and sweated a bit less might have made a difference. I was prepared to take 1 shirt off, but never felt overheated, and I always favor having my muscles nice & warm versus chilled.

Oh well, what's done is done.

Race and learn.
2007-01-25 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hello Group.  Sorry I haven't been around lately...work keeps getting in the way.

Anyway, we were discussing cramps, hyrdration and electrolyte needs.

That leads into race and training nutrition in general.  Especially fueling for races.  Some questions to consider:

• How many calories should I take in?
  • How much water do I need?
  • How much electrolytes should I take in?
  • Should my fuel be solid food or liquid only?

Food for thought!   Let's discuss.

TJ

2007-01-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: #667305

Hingham, MA
Thanks TJ - I feel your pain....

With my A race being a HIM sounds like I need 200-400 cals/hr. depending on who you talk to...
mark allen posted an article that leaned towards the higjher end for this distance...

I have been pretty successful avoiding cramps (knock on wood)...

FYI - If you havent used them yet - I have had success using Clif shot blocks - they are like a big gummi bear and break down easy with H2O. I like these better than gels and do not have to deal with the pesky tin foil taste....

Scott

Here is a review of the shot bloks - i inadvertently got the margarita flavored as noted here and found them too much like the real thing...not good when you are 6 miles out on a run.

http://www.redding.com/news/2007/jan/06/clif-shot-bloks-odd-but-are...

Edited by scottymack 2007-01-25 3:58 PM
2007-01-25 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Hey everyone,

Great topic. I personally feel that calorie, water, electrolyte is person specific. I am a heavy sweater and need alot of electrolyte's and lose a bunch of fluids. Not sure if anyone here has done a sweat test, but I highly recommend. One thing to consider in the sweat test is that conditions play a part but the test can give you a good base.

Normally, I weigh myself before my workout (naked). I then exercise for 60 minutes and at the end of run I record the amount of fluids I took in. Then I strip back down and wipe myself down. Then I re weigh myself. Subtract pre weight and after weight and convert to ounces, then add the # of ounces you drank.

You can look on the web, heres one link.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-302--10084-0,00.h...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » zia_cyclist's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10