BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2007-12-10 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
Woohoo! Partying while I was gone. I'm so happy to see old friends and to be able to make some new ones! I'm in front of the computer all day Mon-Fri, so you won't see me here much on Sat and Sun.

This weekend was super busy for me, but I made sure to start my day Saturday with a short bit and run. I'm enjoying sticking to the training plan (which Yanti advised me on a few weeks back) and I know the support here will make it more enjoyable and doable.

Today's schedule has me bumping my swim up 100 yards and starting back into jogging. I have PF in my right heel and am anxious to see what walking only for the past 2 1/2 weeks has done for that.

2007-12-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1091955

User image

Melon Presser

Great! Looks like I opened a can of peaceful worms with the recovery post. Just my intention. I'll answer stuff one at a time so I can look carefully at the post and folks (by the way, we do have lurkers, as you might have noticed ... we're the Cool Kids, apparently!) can easily scan for relevant info. This is already a lively thread!

Also, remember my post about all of us being manatees ... uh, mentorees AND mentors ... please, by all means, wiggle those whiskers and share your experience and knowledge. Phenomenal group in many ways; one is that we're well-balanced: lots of us have experience in places others don't, so JUMP IN. And being the Cool Kids, I'm sure we also all know how to respectfully disagree if need be, e.g., Hey, it's great that worked for you, my concern about others doing it that way is XXX.

I'm just here for the party and to put out food and drinks and make sure the discussion flows!

2007-12-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1092879

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i tend to do great at the rest and relaxation part of my training. what i really need is help with better nutrition. i am proud of myself for losing weight in 2007, but i could have done better. my first immediate goal is to get down to 220. i love to train, but eating is nice too(chocolate, sweets, etc). how can i improve my "diet". i dont like that word. i just want to eat healthier. i also agree with one thing you said-what worked for you may not work for the next person-we all all different. thanks sorry for rambling.......
2007-12-10 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1091955

User image

Melon Presser
Medusa_Ann - 2007-12-10 12:21 AM

As always, feel free to ask questions about how much/what type of rest/recovery you might need and how it fits into a training schedule or cycle.

This is really timely, Yanti...I am looking forward to race season and thinking I didn't really do a true recovery cycle after race season, thinking that since I didn't truly have A races, B races and so on, that it wasn't a "real" season..... but I did train a lot even though I wasn't religious about sticking to a plan.  Now that I am in the 2nd week of the Oly plan, I am starting to wonder if I haven't started it a little too soon for next season.  I'll be race ready at the end of April, yet I don't have a race at that time since most don't start until later in this part of the world.  I am contemplating dropping down to a Sprint plan, maybe somewhere towards the end of the cycle so that I am able to maintain my current fitness, and then after the new year (or even in Feb) start the Oly plan up again. This would enable me to get a little more 'rest' for the remainder of December, and allow me to plot a better schedule, especially for the cycling portion of the Oly plan.  Do you think this will help with my next season, or should I just stick to where I am in the Oly plan and try my darndest to fit it all in?  For Dec I have one potential 12k run and another on Jan. 1 (which may include a plunge into icy Lake Washington afterward!)......but nothing else on the calendar yet.  I was listening to the "Tri-Talk" podcast while I was running yesterday, and they were also talking about the importance of recovery.  Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something?....  thanks for your input!

I looked at your logs as well as the Oly plan you're on and you are one active lady--you indeed have trained (and do train) a lot! Lots of options for you; here are my thoughts. For Leslie and everyone else--grain of salt! Sniff around the forums, google ... ultimately you need to do what works for YOU. I'll always give reasons for my opinions, and you can decide for yourself their validity.

Err on the side of recovery: it's much easier to build up than it is to come back from burnout or injury (at which point your body is FORCING you to recover and will take everything it can get). It's the holidays. You might want to piddle around for a couple of weeks, let your mind and body rest--do easy cycling if you want, sweet slow runs, whatever--just super low key. Do the races if you want ... for fun. Or race them and then make sure to take a week or two lightly. THEN start on the Olympic plan when it will be in the ballpark of 20 weeks from a potential race.

I would not "drop down" to a sprint plan, and this is why. Doing the shorter distances/times will tempt you to go faster/harder. In essence, you would be likely to move into a speed/strength phase when you haven't spent the time recovering and building a strong base. Then if you went back to the Oly plan, your body's more taxed than it should be, and not primed to do the long slow distance/building.

All of this info, I think, is especially true if you're working on a run-based Oly program, since running is harder on your joints, and will likely jack your heart rate higher than the other sports.

Here's something I wrote for Terri on base building--remember, this was written specifically for her (and I'll do a little deal on base building next week like I did rest/recovery this week). But numbers aside, the GENERAL principles still apply.

-----

YOU MUST DO EVERY PART OF EVERY WORKOUT FOR THE FIRST TWELVE WEEKS AT AN AEROBIC HEART RATE (50%-75% of estimated max heart rate, and more towards 50% in the earlier weeks). Best to do them at a smooth pace throughout; that is, remaining at a steady pace and within a few beats of your target heart rate.
I know you have a heart rate monitor, so use it. You can also go by a rate of perceived exertion: you should be going between 50-75% effort, and at no time be getting winded or breathing so hard you couldn't make full sentences.
This may all feel agonizingly slow to you, but this is fundamental and critical (that's why it's called BASE) for every endurance athlete's training. EVERY. This is especially true if you have never or not recently built a solid, sustained endurance base. This is also where your true fat-burning and weight loss takes place. Any anaerobic effort during this time only pokes a hole in your base. It takes AWAY from the foundation, confuses your body's metabolism, and is that much less time you are building what you will actually need come race day, AND will only thwart your body's training to use fat as fuel ( --> weight loss.)
This is a great time to be working on swim technique, pedal stroke drills (preferably on a stationary first), short-stride-good-posture walking.
Michael also incorporates some jogging fairly quickly. This is okay IF your heart rate stays down. No spiking. You may wind up walking all or most of your base. That's great. That will truly allow you to jog later if need be.
You will find as you progress through base that you will be able to perform better while still in the lower heart rate range. Then, when you DO start some anaerobic training, you will be amazed. You'll see when you get there. However, any anaerobic/hard efforts you make over the 10 weeks after base will only be useful if you have built that base. Otherwise, they will only tax your body and break you down before the race.
-----
Hard core athletes (and newbies, too, because of the go-getter mentality) have a hard time with this. Go slow to go fast? Yes! But the true giants train this way, and the unbelievers who force themselves to do a lot of low-zone training get converted once they see their race results later in the season.
This is a great article from Mark Allen, tri-god extraordinaire and 6-time Ironman world champion. It's heavy on the heart rate training (you definitely do not need all the fancy gadgets to train well), but really pay attention to what he says about training in the aerobic zone (low-effort).

Edited by TriAya 2007-12-10 3:51 PM
2007-12-10 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
So let me comment on what I've seen this past week, taking Yanti's advice:

It was extremely hard for me to back off on the speed and focus on form, but I did it and I've already started experiencing the benefits. I'm tired after a training session, but not beat down, like I felt in the past.

I've never once gotten winded during spinning, fast walking or swimming, but let me tell you my body is getting a workout everytime I train. I'm still baboozled by this.

I have only made one change to the way I've been eating. I added in 1/2 serving of Endurox after my training. I lost 1 pound this past week. (Woohoo!)

I have done NOTHING but focus on technique. I have made sure my stride is equal, my spinning stays consistent and my strokes in the pool are not thrashing. I cut 4 minutes off my swim time last week. (again with the Woohoos!)

This week will increase my walking to some jogging and I'm looking forward to attempting it keeping my HR down. It took me so long to be able to run any distance and this has been the hardest part for me...the back to walking, but I'm so glad I did.

I am sleeping like a rock at night. I wake in the morning feeling rested, even if I'm a bit stiff from the previous day's training. It goes away more quickly than when I was going all out - usually it's out of bed, straight into the shower and after the hot water and a bit of stretching, the stiffness is all gone.

So, thank you Yanti
2007-12-10 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Will, why don't you give us an example of what you eat in a day.

I'm doing Weight Watchers, but mostly for the accountability. When I decided that I wanted to get healthy, the first thing I did was work on eating as natural as I could. I rarely eat anything that's processed and that's made a huge difference - I've lost 13 pounds. I also cut out almost all the beef I was eating. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I made anything with beef in it at home. I usually save that for going out on date night (once a week) with DH.

2007-12-10 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1092344

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ldatug - 2007-12-10 10:06 AM

Ah...rest...something I dream about when I'm up w/ my one year old in the middle of the night. 

I got a warning from my body today that I may need a little rest.  I am a really competitive person (not really w/ others, but w/ myself if that makes sense).  I only want to do something if I can be good at it.  There in lies my problem with running.  I am TERRIBLE at it.  I feel winded five seconds after I start, and am lucky to run 1.3 or 1.4 miles straight.  The longest I've ever run continuously is 2 miles.  I've been adding runs into my BT plan when it doesn't call for it to try to improve my run.  Well...this morning I decided I wanted to try to run a 5K w/o stopping.  At about mile 1.2 I started getting shin pain in my left leg.  I started walking and stopped at 1.5 miles.  Now I'm mad at myself for not going the other 1.5 (even if it meant walking), but I know that my body is telling me to back off of the running a bit.  I'm trying to ramp up too fast.  I'm just terrified that I won't complete my sprint tri in March b/c of the run. Frown

Have you tried approaching your runs from a time vs a distance approach and also maybe incorproating some walk/run intervals?  This was how I approached my running when I was getting started and will again when my foot is finally healed.

It really worked for me because it eased my body into doing something that it wasn't used to doing rather than trying to master it all at once.

In the very beginning I was trying to increase the distance I could run in one shot and it just wasn't working for me. 

I ended up taking an approach that slowly built up the time (and amazingly the distance) over a reasonable period of time.

I believe the training plans available on BT follow this approach.

I'd like to hear other folks thoughts on this

ps

Yanti's post sums it up nicely

Edited by lastcall2003 2007-12-10 4:47 PM
2007-12-10 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1092344

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
ldatug - 2007-12-10 8:06 AM

Ah...rest...something I dream about when I'm up w/ my one year old in the middle of the night. 

. . . . . . . .

I'm just terrified that I won't complete my sprint tri in March b/c of the run. Frown

I hear ya on the middle of the night stuff--my 2-yr old would like to nurse all night, but instead cries and screams when I say 'not until morning!".  It's slooooowly getting better but I can sure relate.

You WILL complete your tri--plenty of time to train, and it's very ok to walk if you need to. 

2007-12-10 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1093371

Regular

Have you tried approaching your runs from a time vs a distance approach and also maybe incorproating some walk/run intervals?  This was how I approached my running when I was getting started and will again when my foot is finally healed.

It really worked for me because it eased my body into doing something that it wasn't used to doing rather than trying to master it all at once.

In the very beginning I was trying to increase the distance I could run in one shot and it just wasn't working for me. 

I ended up taking an approach that slowly built up the time (and amazingly the distance) over a reasonable period of time.

ps

Good suggestion.  I've been reading up on this today, and I think I will give it a try.

2007-12-10 5:16 PM

Regular

Okay guys and girls.  I need a bike.  I am currently just riding a stationary in the gym.  I DO NOT want to spend a lot of $$ on one.  Hopefully I'll love tri'ing and will buy a $2K bike in a couple of years, but that's just not part of my reality right now.  I went to my local bike shop and he immediately showed me a entry-level Fuji bike.

Here is what I posted on the main board.  The only response I got was from two people telling me it sucks.  I KNOW it sucks....that's why it is cheap.  I'm not dumb.  My goal right now is to complete 4 sprint tris.  I just want to know if it will get through that and that it's not a waste of money.  Any suggestions????  What are you newbies doing for your bike??

I'm new to triathloning and want to buy a very basic road bike.  I went to my local bike shop today and he recommended that Fuji Newest 4.0.  He will sell it to me for $429.  Is this a good deal?  I really don't want to spend too much on a bike at first especially since I have two young kids that eat up all of my extra $$.    But...I do want a decent bike that will get me to the finish line and that I won't be embarrassed of.  Here are the specs:

Specifications
Frameset
SizesXS(42cm), S(46cm), M(50cm), L(54cm), XL(58cm)
ColorSilver/White & Yellow/Black
Main frameFuji Altair 1 Compact aluminum with traditional round down tube, Double water bottle mounts
Rear triangleFuji Altair 1 aluminum curved seat stay w/ rack mount, Fuji forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger
ForkFuji 1 1/8" custom tapered Cro-Moly, Aero Road
Drivetrain
CranksetFuji Forged Aluminum Road 30/42/52T Chainring
Bottom bracketSealed Cartridge Bearing ST
PedalsWellgo Road
Front derailleurShimano FD-2203, 31.8mm
Rear derailleurShimano 2200 series
ShiftersShimano SL-R400 down tube shifter, 24-speed
FreewheelSunRace CSR-638PB, 12-24T 8-speed freewheel
ChainKMC Z-72
Wheelset
Front hubFuji Alloy Road, 36h
Rear hubFuji Alloy Road, 8-speed, 36H
Spokes14G Stainless Steel
RimsAlex RPD-15 Double Wall Aluminum, 32H 700c clincher
TiresKenda K-152, 700 X 25c
TubesKenda Presta
Features
Brake setTektro R-310A Forged AL dual pivot
Brake leversProMax BL-250 Forged Alloy
Brake leversTektro RL-570 Top Mount
HeadsetRitchey LB 1 1/8"
HandlebarAlloy Road
StemFuji Adjustable Road Aluminum, Removable Clamp
Tape/gripFuji custom cork wrap
SaddleFuji Road Sport Anatomical Saddle
Seat postFuji Comp Alloy Micro Adjust, 350mm
Seat clampFuji Superlite Alloy, 31.8mm Laser Etched
Other7075 alloy water bottle bolts
Weight, lb./kg.24.10/10.95

2007-12-10 5:16 PM

Regular

Duplicate post - sorry

Edited by ldatug 2007-12-10 5:17 PM

2007-12-10 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1093444

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

I'm out of my league when it comes to recommending a specific bike, however I would pass on this from experience.

If at all possible, spend the $$ to get a professional bike fit.  I didn't do this until after I bought my bike and realized too late (a year too late) that I had really purchased a bike that was too big for me.

It still works, and I can ride it for up to 40 mile rides, but then it's just not good for me.

Fortunately the gal that I worked with at the LBS (a different one than where I bought the bike) was able to do an amazing job of fitting the bike and I was equally amazed at the difference it made in my ride.

Not only was I able to go faster, because a better fit, led to better form, which led to better technique, which led to improvements in speed.

I also had fewer issues with pain in my shoulders, my hands and feet falling asleep/going numb on long rides.

Now that I've had the professional fit completed, I can use it when I buy my next bike (targeting for a new bike in 2009 - darn kids )

It was money well spent.

2007-12-10 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

You could do some research on higher-end bikes that you like and find the size that you would need--then look on ebay or craigslist or BT for someone selling an older used model for a steal.  One person's used bike is another's treasure, or something like that!  Other than that, I agree that a pro bike fitting is very useful.  I had the cheaper fitting done last year when I bought my bike (first road bike, mmmmm), and this year I am going to spend the money for the fine-tuning.

This sport can be expensive, but the health effects and the joy it brings make it all worth it!!  That being said, I am thinking I need to sell my blood or organs (!) in order to pay all of the registration fees this season!!!! 

2007-12-10 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1091967

User image

Melon Presser

Fielding - 2007-12-10 2:18 AM I have a couple questions about rest too. Right now I'm not following a specific plan. I'm focusing on my swim, so the "plan" is to swim three days a week, run twice a week and bike a couple times a month. (I'm actually considering this a rest month to avoid burning out over the holidays, after a particularly busy fall, both with training and real life.) How do I work rest periods into my training? I haven't done this nearly long enough to be able to tell when I need a rest and when I'm just feeling a little tired but need to push through it. For now I'm "resting" by keeping myself to just five workouts a week, although I'm already thinking about adding another run day into the mix. If I do end up swimming three times a week and running three times a week, should I be tossing a rest week in there at some point? And what should I do during a rest week? Shorter runs/swims? Easy bike rides? All of the above? (I love our group! So much energy in here!)

Hey, Erin! I think you should join me on my couch with Froot Loops and tater chips. If it's a rest month, you'll want to do active-recovery type workouts, which means that if you're having to dig at all or "push through it," SLOW DOWN. Now, you may have to push yourself to get out of the house or get moving (that's normal), but that's different than having to push yourself during a workout. All these workouts should leave you feeling energized and refreshed. If you're tired after one, skip a day and go easier on the next one. I'm seeing the words "tough," "tired," and workouts an hour long in your training log, and it's possible you're being too hard on yourself.

You might need to decide if you really want this to be a rest month (and it sounds like you need one, although all of you know my opinion by now on rest!), or if you are actually starting on base-building training. If you're adding another run on top of five days of training, it's looking a lot like you're beginning formal training, in which case you should probably select a training plan and follow it (even if with modifications). And the training plans that have that kind of frequency of working out will/should include "rest" weeks (lower frequency and/or volume). If you really want to add a "run," consider adding a long, brisk walk.

I'm all for getting 30-60 min of aerobic exercise most days of the week, even during recovery periods (although it's not strictly necessary). But there's a big difference between, say, taking a brisk hour-long walk in the woods a few times a week, and doing long workouts six days a week.

I speak from a long history of doing stupid things and paying for it (and from a somewhat shorter history of coaching people to do the right things).

As my coach says, "I've done everything wrong so you can do everything right!"

2007-12-10 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1093119

User image

Melon Presser

wplummer - 2007-12-10 3:20 PM i tend to do great at the rest and relaxation part of my training. what i really need is help with better nutrition. i am proud of myself for losing weight in 2007, but i could have done better. my first immediate goal is to get down to 220. i love to train, but eating is nice too(chocolate, sweets, etc). how can i improve my "diet". i dont like that word. i just want to eat healthier. i also agree with one thing you said-what worked for you may not work for the next person-we all all different. thanks sorry for rambling.......

There's a whole crew of weight-loss giants here (wait ... that sounds wrong! ) to help, and most of us are still on the journey, too.

I don't like "diet" much either--as Garfield said, it's DIE with a T. Ditto what Terri said about simply writing down what you eat (or, gasp, using the nutrition logs here on BT) ... it really pinpoints where it's easy to make some initial changes. There's my $.02 on this for now ... 1. find where easy changes can be made; 2. make them one at a time. (Say, this week, go grocery shopping and only buy 1 chocolate based item. Next week, buy only 1 chocolate based item, AND buy 1 more type of fruit/veggie than you were planning to). These are just examples ...

Terri also brought up not eating processed foods (whole foods taste better, anyway. Please ignore the giant pictures of Froot Loops and tater chips in my logs this week ... I'm on strict orders, not kidding).

2007-12-10 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Wow I can tell I am going to have a ton of reading every night when I come home from work as I am not at a computer all day. This is going to be worse then homework every night for amount of reading there will be

2007-12-10 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Fort Worth

Wow I have missed a bunch of great information that has been going around here on our thread. See, I knew I joined the right team as the questions and the answers so far are great.

I had another great day of training even though I had to hold myself back on the swim due to plan requirements. I'm going to update my team spreadsheet and then return to give some input as well.

Before I go, I bought my bike through Craig's List for $250.00. It's a $1200.00 bike. Take your time on buying the bike after doing some research so you get what you want. I didn't know about break shifters and I got lucky that it came with my bike as well as the clip-ons. It would have been more expensive to convert after the fact. Good luck.

2007-12-10 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1093444

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
ldatug - 2007-12-10 3:16 PM

Okay guys and girls. I need a bike. ... I'm new to triathloning and want to buy a very basic road bike. I went to my local bike shop today and he recommended that Fuji Newest 4.0. He will sell it to me for $429. Is this a good deal? I really don't want to spend too much on a bike at first especially since I have two young kids that eat up all of my extra $$.

I am by no means anything close to an expert when it comes to the bike (um, please don't even look at the bike mileage in my logs -- it's embarrassing), but I do have experience buying a first tri-worthy bike. I went through the same thing as you over the summer -- I had no clue what to look for, couldn't get any good advice anywhere (it felt like the advice in the BT forums was kind of all over the place) and was getting increasingly frustrated and stymmied by all the options out there. Several bike shops I went to didn't even offer road bikes for less than $700, and I couldn't bear to look at all the options on the Internet. At a small LBS I finally found an inexpensive, entry-level road bike, a Raleigh Sport, for a little under $500. I was seriously stressed out and nervous over whether it was the "right" bike and if buying it would be a major mistake. But once I committed to the bike and started riding, I was perfectly happy.

Again, taking my opinion with a very large grain of salt, I don't think the quality of the bike makes a whole lot of difference for newbies. I think it's important to get a road bike (for me it was, just because I'd never been on one before, so if/when I want to upgrade someday I'll have experience with the right type of bike) but other than that, go ahead and get the cheap one, I say. My bike is about as entry-level as you can get, and at my one and only race so far, I averaged 19.5 mph and came in fourth on the bike in my age group. Whee!
2007-12-10 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1093732

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2007-12-10 5:33 PM

I think you should join me on my couch with Froot Loops and tater chips. If it's a rest month, you'll want to do active-recovery type workouts, which means that if you're having to dig at all or "push through it," SLOW DOWN. Now, you may have to push yourself to get out of the house or get moving (that's normal), but that's different than having to push yourself during a workout. All these workouts should leave you feeling energized and refreshed. If you're tired after one, skip a day and go easier on the next one. I'm seeing the words "tough," "tired," and workouts an hour long in your training log, and it's possible you're being too hard on yourself. You might need to decide if you really want this to be a rest month (and it sounds like you need one, although all of you know my opinion by now on rest!), or if you are actually starting on base-building training. If you're adding another run on top of five days of training, it's looking a lot like you're beginning formal training, in which case you should probably select a training plan and follow it (even if with modifications).

Thank you, Yanti! Honestly, I think maybe I just needed "permission" to run only twice a week. I feel like a big slacker limiting myself. Also, my running has been going really well lately so I can't help by feel like I should take advantage of it, you know? But I do think I really need a rest month, and I need to resist pushing myself. It's just a few more weeks, right? And then I can start a formal training plan again in January.

I'm still going to push myself on the swim, though, at least for a little while. I'm experimenting with intervals to see if that can do anything for my pathetic speed. But if I'm still reporting a lot of "tough" workouts in my logs (and thank you -- I never even considered looking at the language I was using) I'll back off on the swim too. I still want to put in the distance (I've got to do it for the Puddin's!), but I can be a little easier on myself if I need to.

There's my $.02 on this for now ... 1. find where easy changes can be made; 2. make them one at a time.

YES YES YES. This is, I think, the very best advice for losing weight/eating healthier. I try to make little changes about once a month. When I first started losing weight I picked something simple, like eating a bag of pretzels instead of a bag of potato chips for a snack (and then eventually substituing a banana or an energy bar for the pretzels), or allowing myself only one Coke a day, vs. my usual two or three. When you can tackle changes one at a time and in very small increments, it doesn't feel nearly as difficult.

I also highly recommend the book Mindless Eating. The author, a doctor who has spent years studying how and why people eat, has a really great sense of humor, does not really condone "diets," and is all about making small lifestyle changes to improve your nutrition. I'm a health journalist, so I read a lot of these diet/nutrition books for my job, and this one is definitely one of the best.
2007-12-10 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
I had a tiring swim tonight. I bumped up my distance by 100 yards, but tonight I tried to do all of my freestyle without kicking at all. I feel like I can only go 25 yards with proper form, then some reason I start to kind of loose the feel of how to breathe!
2007-12-10 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1093992

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Fielding - 2007-12-10 7:15 PM

Thank you, Yanti! Honestly, I think maybe I just needed "permission" to run only twice a week. I feel like a big slacker limiting myself.

My run group hated me for this but training for my half marathon I only ran 2 times a week and the last 6 week sor so I only ran once every 2 weeks. I know not the ideal training plan but I was dealing with injuries but didn't want to take the total time off to heal so only did my long runs every 2 weeks the other time was rest period. I am not a fast runner but was happy with how my race went with the training I did for the event.

2007-12-10 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1093371

User image

Melon Presser

IN RESPONSE TO LAURA'S POST ABOUT RUNNING

lastcall2003 - 2007-12-10 4:44 PM
ldatug - 2007-12-10 10:06 AM

I got a warning from my body today that I may need a little rest.  I am a really competitive person (not really w/ others, but w/ myself if that makes sense).  I only want to do something if I can be good at it.  There in lies my problem with running.  I am TERRIBLE at it.  I feel winded five seconds after I start, and am lucky to run 1.3 or 1.4 miles straight.  The longest I've ever run continuously is 2 miles.  I've been adding runs into my BT plan when it doesn't call for it to try to improve my run.  Well...this morning I decided I wanted to try to run a 5K w/o stopping.  At about mile 1.2 I started getting shin pain in my left leg.  I started walking and stopped at 1.5 miles.  Now I'm mad at myself for not going the other 1.5 (even if it meant walking), but I know that my body is telling me to back off of the running a bit.  I'm trying to ramp up too fast.  I'm just terrified that I won't complete my sprint tri in March b/c of the run. Frown

ps

Phew, I'm very slowly catching up to all the super questions and posts! You guys ROCK THE HOUSE! And thanks so much to everyone for pitching in with their wisdom and experience.

If you feel like you're terrible at running, you're losing out on the joy and invigoration that running can bring. If you're winded at the outset, and can barely manage 1.3-1.4 miles, you're going out too fast. Here's some ideas on how you can (without any suffering; in fact, with energy and enjoyment) run well, and run longer, faster--even as the last part of a triathlon!

Super x2 on what Beth said. Let me elaborate on two key (related) concepts in training for running:

1. GO SLOW.  2. WALK BREAKS.

In every marathon I've done, my last three miles have been the fastest (and often continuously run). Actually, in every race I've done, the last part is where I pick up speed and fly when other runners, really good ones, have slowed to a crawl.

Hear me out on this (it took a personal talking-to by the great Jeff Galloway to convince me of this, so I understand any resistance). I've also been a pace group leader for AIDS Marathon for four years, and watched hundreds of beginner runners go through their various cogitations.

Continuous running, especially for beginning endurance athletes, is highly overrated, and (as Beth pointed out) the BT plans, and almost all beginning running plans, tell you to go out slow and take walk breaks early on.

This stuff is taken from Jeff Galloway (who has experience with a few hundred thousand runners as opposed to mine with a few hundred).

WALK BREAKS WILL:

• allow those who can only run 1-2 miles to go 3, 4 and more and feel fine

• help improve times because you're not slowing down at the end

• reduces injury and over-training to nearly zero

• recover quickly from training runs and races

Your shin pain is a serious sign that you're overdoing it. Stop and slow down before it progresses and FORCES you to stop and slow down. The #1 newbie mistake in nearly every sport, and 100x so for the endurance sports, is too much and/or too fast, too soon--often with devastating consequences. That 10% increase rule that you see on every horizontal bar of your training plan? Take it seriously, especially with regards to running.

Laura, you are an AMAZING ATHLETE, juggling some pretty crazy responsibilities ... you deserve to have JOY in running and to give yourself a 100% healthy experience.

Read the fine print on your BT plan and follow it. More and harder is NOT better, and (though it's counterintuitive) it will NOT make you faster or better able to complete the distance.

As for going slow to go fast--all that stuff I said for Leslie about base building is true, and you'll hear a lot more on it next week!

The proof is in the pudding. This is my specific recommendation; be brave! Be willing to try! None of this can hurt you, so feel free to try it and then tell me I'm wrong!

For every run, do a 5-minute warm-up walk first, even if you warmed up already on a bike or swim.

Go out slowly, and I mean slooooowly ... at a minimum 11-12 min/mi pace (judging from your logs).

Run 3 minutes; walk 1 minute.

Try it. Try it for one run and see how much better you feel and how much farther you can go while still feeling good. (And, if you kept this up for a few weeks, you'd fall over seeing how much faster you would wind up being able to go).

As always ... grain of salt, and just my $.02.

Edited by TriAya 2007-12-10 11:11 PM
2007-12-10 11:35 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Yanti I must say I have read so many of your posts in other threads but in this thread you are just amazing with the support and knowledge that you are giving us. I am so glad you were the first of the mentors to reply and start their group up as I wrote to most of them not knowing we got to pick and didn't have to get picked. If you hadn't I might have been in another group and missing out on all of this.

As for my running experience I still do all long runs even my Half marathon races doing a 10 min run and a 1 min walk. A person I trained with did the training the same as me but decided to run straight through and it was a disaster not only because they didn't train that way but they slowed down so much your body becomes used to getting that one minute rest and recovers so much in the one minute and is ready for your next set. After saying that I am now at a time where I am trying to increase my straight through running. I can probably go around 10 k but would like to make it at a fast pace and that will eventually come.
2007-12-10 11:42 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Hey look at that Bronze Medal over there!!!!

<<<<<<<<
2007-12-10 11:51 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I have a favor to ask: Can someone post a list of all the members of our group? I'd like to add everyone to my friends list, but I tried going through all the posts and couldn't tell which posters were actually in the group.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61