Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-03-24 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2745627

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Artemis's Group - FULL!
misfit_1 - 2010-03-24 1:31 PM I need more advice from you guys - I don't understand this IT issue because sometimes the elliptical and bike bother me and sometimes not...But - let's say it hurts to run, bike, elliptical, and even sometimes swim...what else is there for me to do to keep up aerobic endurance until I am able to do these things again?
Rowing - I don't think I have the upper body strength to keep this up for more than 10 minutes.
Dancing - or aerobics classes maybe?
Shadow boxing? but that has twisting and turning motions which I dont' think would work well...
Strength training as aerobic??

First of all, don't be afraid to take a week or two off and focus solely on stretching and whatever the doc told you to do.  Rest is definitely important.

You can swim, but use a pull buoy so that you aren't kicking from your knees.  As far as biking, if you are inside on a trainer or a stationary bike at the gym, use very little resistance so that there isn't tension on your knee.  That will help you prevent more knee pain.  I would try to avoid the elliptical machine because I think that's going to cause the same problems as running.

Honestly, it does kind of suck and when mine is really bad, I just take some time off and let it heal and relax before starting to ramp up my training again.

2010-03-24 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2746056

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
Artemis - 2010-03-24 4:16 PM
First of all, don't be afraid to take a week or two off and focus solely on stretching and whatever the doc told you to do.  Rest is definitely important.

You can swim, but use a pull buoy so that you aren't kicking from your knees.  As far as biking, if you are inside on a trainer or a stationary bike at the gym, use very little resistance so that there isn't tension on your knee.  That will help you prevent more knee pain.  I would try to avoid the elliptical machine because I think that's going to cause the same problems as running.

Honestly, it does kind of suck and when mine is really bad, I just take some time off and let it heal and relax before starting to ramp up my training again.

Well, the doc knows that I have a bunch of races coming up and so he told me that if I cross trained by butt off for the next couple weeks, then I shouldn't have to worry about losing any of my endurance or what I've built up...but he did say, "if it hurts, don't do it".  lol.  Maybe a lot of my issue with the Spinning class was that I was putting resistance up too high...it's hard to fight that competitive urge (even if it is just a spinning class).  Maybe I'll take the night off and just going swimming for the rest of the week.  I have another indoor tri on Sunday (which I conveniently forgot to tell the doc about), but it's only 15 minutes each discipline, so hopefully the biking and running should be OK.

Thanks guys!
2010-03-24 11:31 PM
in reply to: #2746150

User image

Veteran
misfit_1 - 2010-03-24 4:00 PM
Artemis - 2010-03-24 4:16 PM

Well, the doc knows that I have a bunch of races coming up and so he told me that if I cross trained by butt off for the next couple weeks, then I shouldn't have to worry about losing any of my endurance or what I've built up...but he did say, "if it hurts, don't do it".  lol.  Maybe a lot of my issue with the Spinning class was that I was putting resistance up too high...it's hard to fight that competitive urge (even if it is just a spinning class).  Maybe I'll take the night off and just going swimming for the rest of the week.  I have another indoor tri on Sunday (which I conveniently forgot to tell the doc about), but it's only 15 minutes each discipline, so hopefully the biking and running should be OK.

Thanks guys!

Sorry to hear about your knee and IT issues!  When I was haveing the same type of problems last year I was seeing a PT for my knee - and she stripped my IT band a few times. Hurt like heck! And then I used the foam roller - a lot!  I noticed you got one a while back. It would bring me to tears - but I had to use it every day. I have a love/hate relationship with it!!! Hurts like a bugger - but if I don't do it - I'm in trouble again. 
You know you can bike and run... so I'd give it a wee break until Sunday's tri.  Good luck with your healing!
2010-03-25 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2745627

User image

Regular
Syracuse
misfit_1 - 2010-03-24 1:31 PM I need more advice from you guys - I don't understand this IT issue because sometimes the elliptical and bike bother me and sometimes not...But - let's say it hurts to run, bike, elliptical, and even sometimes swim...what else is there for me to do to keep up aerobic endurance until I am able to do these things again?
Rowing - I don't think I have the upper body strength to keep this up for more than 10 minutes.
Dancing - or aerobics classes maybe?
Shadow boxing? but that has twisting and turning motions which I dont' think would work well...
Strength training as aerobic??

You might give the rower another try and lower the resistance. I just sold my Concept 2 rower, but I can tell you, once you get used to it (a few workouts), it doesn't have to be about upper body strength to get a good cardio workout.

Jenna
2010-03-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2555877

User image

Regular
Syracuse
Sciatica, dang sciatica... I think. Going to see the Rn today to hopefully get a physical therapy or chiropractor referral and confirm the ungodly pain in my back/butt.

So if I go buy new shoes tonight (mine are old), and take ibuprofen...can I run anyway (treadmill). Would you? I am just so determined to keep going, I'm afraid to fall off the wagon. I'm doing 3 minute run/1 minute walk in my program right now.
2010-03-25 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2747429

User image

Regular
Syracuse
jenna1870 - 2010-03-25 10:01 AM Sciatica, dang sciatica... I think. Going to see the Rn today to hopefully get a physical therapy or chiropractor referral and confirm the ungodly pain in my back/butt.

So if I go buy new shoes tonight (mine are old), and take ibuprofen...can I run anyway (treadmill). Would you? I am just so determined to keep going, I'm afraid to fall off the wagon. I'm doing 3 minute run/1 minute walk in my program right now.

and the verdict seems to be piriformis, not sciatic. So here's hoping for the power of muscle relaxants and (gasp, cry, sigh) deep tissue massage! And at least I can keep swimming till the pain goes bye-bye.

2010-03-25 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2748551

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
jenna1870 - 2010-03-25 3:15 PM
jenna1870 - 2010-03-25 10:01 AM Sciatica, dang sciatica... I think. Going to see the Rn today to hopefully get a physical therapy or chiropractor referral and confirm the ungodly pain in my back/butt.

and the verdict seems to be piriformis, not sciatic. So here's hoping for the power of muscle relaxants and (gasp, cry, sigh) deep tissue massage! And at least I can keep swimming till the pain goes bye-bye.

Eeeek!  That sounds painful!!!  Well, atleast the two of us will become awesome swimmers with all our injuries! Hope you get better soon!
2010-03-25 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2748551

jenna1870 - 2010-03-25 2:15 PM

Ouch - get that deep tissue massage in.  Rest your body- you won't fall off the wagon - you would be more likely to if you try to keep run through that pain.
2010-03-27 3:34 PM

User image

Hey Guys,

Sorry about my MIA status for the past month, it has been one of the busiest months at work.  Life of a tenure track faculty member does not allow much time for other things.  One a brighter note, I did my first Tri of the season today!  Getting back in the game just motivates you even more and I now have a new push to train a LOT more!  The tri was a short spring, 300 m swim, 10 mi bike and 3.1 mile run.  Things went well and I thoroughly enjoyed the race, except for my crash on the bike.  I was about 300 yards from the finish and did a ROOKIE mistake, I tried to take my gloves off!  Chain came off and I decided it wasn't worth trying to put it back on...and I had to run/walk my bike in :/  Despite a few scrapes and bruises, I'll be fine.  The run went GREAT...maybe I should crash more often.  It was the first time that I ran the complete 3.1 mi.  I will be sure to post a race report as soon as I get the results.  So, for all you out there training, try and remember the feeling of racing, it's a GREAT motivator!!

Geoff
2010-03-27 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2752537

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
geoffwm - 2010-03-27 4:34 PM Hey Guys,

Sorry about my MIA status for the past month, it has been one of the busiest months at work.  Life of a tenure track faculty member does not allow much time for other things.  One a brighter note, I did my first Tri of the season today!  Getting back in the game just motivates you even more and I now have a new push to train a LOT more!  The tri was a short spring, 300 m swim, 10 mi bike and 3.1 mile run.  Things went well and I thoroughly enjoyed the race, except for my crash on the bike.  I was about 300 yards from the finish and did a ROOKIE mistake, I tried to take my gloves off!  Chain came off and I decided it wasn't worth trying to put it back on...and I had to run/walk my bike in :/  Despite a few scrapes and bruises, I'll be fine.  The run went GREAT...maybe I should crash more often.  It was the first time that I ran the complete 3.1 mi.  I will be sure to post a race report as soon as I get the results.  So, for all you out there training, try and remember the feeling of racing, it's a GREAT motivator!!

Geoff

Good to see you back on here Geoff!  Glad your crash wasn't more serious; and I'll remember not to take off my gloves while still on the bike when I go for my first race! COngrats on season's first tri!
2010-03-27 4:51 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

Geoff

Congrats on racing and on running the whole run! :D

Better than waiting til you're done biking to remove your gloves is to train not to wear them at all.

Looking forward to reading your race report.

2010-03-27 4:52 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

Geoff

BTW, what/where do you teach?
2010-03-27 7:36 PM

User image

MDHillslug - It was a COLD day today (<50 degrees) and I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold.  The gloves were necessary    But, I have learned to remove them when I am in the Transition area    I'm a professor at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA!  Great Regional Liberal Arts College!

2010-03-27 7:37 PM

User image

oh..and I teach Chemistry.    Everyone's FAVORITE subject!
2010-03-27 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2752819

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
geoffwm - 2010-03-27 8:36 PM MDHillslug - It was a COLD day today (<50 degrees) and I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold.  The gloves were necessary    But, I have learned to remove them when I am in the Transition area    I'm a professor at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA!  Great Regional Liberal Arts College!

Hadn't thought of that. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
2010-03-27 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2752820

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
geoffwm - 2010-03-27 8:37 PM oh..and I teach Chemistry.    Everyone's FAVORITE subject!

Organic or inorganic? OrgChem was the hardest course I took in college; first semester I got my only C.

2010-03-27 7:42 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Chemistry! toppage
2010-03-28 3:35 PM

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
So on my mini-triathlon today, my orthopaedic who told me not to run for two weeks was in the heat before me.  lol.  I tried not to make eye contact, and then at the end, we saw each other and I had to smile and wave.  Knee is hurting now, but felt ok for the almost two miles that I ran.  He got first place overall...
2010-03-28 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2753704

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
misfit_1 - 2010-03-28 4:35 PM So on my mini-triathlon today, my orthopaedic who told me not to run for two weeks was in the heat before me.  lol.  I tried not to make eye contact, and then at the end, we saw each other and I had to smile and wave.  Knee is hurting now, but felt ok for the almost two miles that I ran.  He got first place overall...

You are SO busted!

So, how did you do?
2010-03-28 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2753732

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-28 4:55 PM
misfit_1 - 2010-03-28 4:35 PM So on my mini-triathlon today, my orthopaedic who told me not to run for two weeks was in the heat before me.  lol.  I tried not to make eye contact, and then at the end, we saw each other and I had to smile and wave.  Knee is hurting now, but felt ok for the almost two miles that I ran.  He got first place overall...

You are SO busted!

So, how did you do?

I think I did OK - swim was worse than last time, but bike and run were better.  Happy that I did it!
2010-03-29 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2753704

User image

Regular
Syracuse

congrats on finishing... I so know the feeling, I'm not even running much yet and it's killing me to take time off right now.

I'm hoping to get back on track (pun intended) by the end of the week. With my fancy new silver Saucony running-only shoes (I have a bad habit of prematurely killing my running shoes by walking, mowing the lawn, running errands - apparently my old ones were toast).

2010-03-29 8:38 AM

User image

Regular
Syracuse

Geoff

Woo-hoo - so awesome that you ran the whole 3.1 for the first time!
2010-03-29 9:35 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Geoff

Congratulations on finishing your first race!!!  Sorry about the crash, but it sounds like you handled it well.

Have you decided when your next one will be? 
2010-03-29 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2752819

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
geoffwm - 2010-03-27 8:36 PM MDHillslug - It was a COLD day today (<50 degrees) and I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold.  The gloves were necessary    But, I have learned to remove them when I am in the Transition area    I'm a professor at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA!  Great Regional Liberal Arts College!

It was cold.  I did not enjoy standing around for an hour and a half before I started the 10k on Sat.  Brrrrrr.....
2010-03-29 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2752827

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
MDHillSlug - 2010-03-27 8:41 PM
geoffwm - 2010-03-27 8:37 PM oh..and I teach Chemistry.    Everyone's FAVORITE subject!

Organic or inorganic? OrgChem was the hardest course I took in college; first semester I got my only C.

Totally agree.  The first time I took O Chem 1, I missed two weeks of class due to appendicitis.  Stupid me didn't drop and I got a D and had to take it again anyway. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40