BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-07-07 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Hey all, I haven't had a chance to read and get caught up but I wanted to pop in and let you know I'm still alive.  I did my race, I did my move and now we're getting ready to start house hunting.  Here's my race report....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=149412

Unfortunately it looks like I may not be able to do any more races this year.  I don't want to go into too many details, but we just found out that our 13yo has been "dating" an 18yo behind our backs and in direct opposition of our clearly stated demands.  He took some serious liberties with her, we're pressing charges and she has been stripped of all privileges.  If you're the praying sort we could use some. 

Since she must remain in the presence of trusted (by me, not her) adults at all times it seriously limits my ability to go out to run/swim/bike.  Hubs thinks we'll be able to work out my training around all of this but I think my attention needs to be 100% on family right now.  I'm going to try to keep up as much of a base as I can and when the kids start school I hope to be able to jump back into training.

On the plus side, I finally found a plus side of living with my parents and sister.  Three extra adults means three more sets of watchful eyes and less chance of me tying her up in the attic until she's 50.

2010-07-07 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2964063

User image

Master
Vista, CA

crews - 2010-07-06 1:00 PM
gadgetlaw - 2010-07-05 3:20 PM I just had to check in to say that I had an awesome morning!  My 5k was great.  My time was 29:30!!!  My first 5k under 30 minutes!!  Cool   I have been working for that for a long time.  It may not be fast to some people, but I was so excited!!  And it was incredibly hot - I'm not sure exactly what the temperature was at that time, but it is 92º outside now!  You may have had no doubts Yanti, but I certainly did!   And you were right Quincy, I didn't even really notice how hot it was until I was done and my eyes started burning from all my sweat running into them!

It has been hot here all weekend.  I did make it out to the site of my upcoming tri this weekend.  I swam and checked out the run course.  There is one HUGE hill on the run (that we have to go up twice), but the rest goes around the lake so it is pretty flat and about 1/2 of it is shaded.  I am excited for this race because it is so close, but the course is hard.

I have been watch the TdF all weekend.  I love watching people who can really bike!  And I have a little confession to make.  My husband and I are leaving next week for France to see the last 5 stages!!  We have been planning this trip for a LONG time and I never thought it would get here.  Watching it on TV, I still can't believe that we will be there!  Has anybody been to France?  Any tips for travelling there?  Neither of us speak more than a few phrases in French, so it should be interesting!
I hope everyone had a great weekend. 

Karen

CONGRATS on your sub 30 min 5k...that's awesome!!!
And how cool that you get to see all of those hot cyclist in their spandex ride the Tour!
What an amazing opportunity!!

Just wanted to chime in here -- back from vacation and wow Karen! What a great week for you. You'll be there for Bastille Day perhaps? Enjoy your time in France. I've not been there so soak it up and give us a full report. And, congrats on that 5k PR.

2010-07-07 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2965500

User image

Master
Vista, CA

thndrcloud - 2010-07-07 7:50 AM Hey all, I haven't had a chance to read and get caught up but I wanted to pop in and let you know I'm still alive.  I did my race, I did my move and now we're getting ready to start house hunting.  Here's my race report....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=149412

Unfortunately it looks like I may not be able to do any more races this year.  I don't want to go into too many details, but we just found out that our 13yo has been "dating" an 18yo behind our backs and in direct opposition of our clearly stated demands.  He took some serious liberties with her, we're pressing charges and she has been stripped of all privileges.  If you're the praying sort we could use some. 

Since she must remain in the presence of trusted (by me, not her) adults at all times it seriously limits my ability to go out to run/swim/bike.  Hubs thinks we'll be able to work out my training around all of this but I think my attention needs to be 100% on family right now.  I'm going to try to keep up as much of a base as I can and when the kids start school I hope to be able to jump back into training.

On the plus side, I finally found a plus side of living with my parents and sister.  Three extra adults means three more sets of watchful eyes and less chance of me tying her up in the attic until she's 50.

Allison -- So sorry you're going through parental challenges. Glad she's got you as a Mom to watch her back and take care of things. I understand not having the mental focus right now for traithlon and that daughter is a priority. Good for you. You may find that after things calm down a bit you'll be able to get back to a bit of training, at least something to maintain sanity.

Take care and I"ll get to your race report as well as Yanti-dear's.

2010-07-08 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2967055

User image

Master
lmscozz - 2010-07-07 6:00 PM

thndrcloud - 2010-07-07 7:50 AM Hey all, I haven't had a chance to read and get caught up but I wanted to pop in and let you know I'm still alive.  I did my race, I did my move and now we're getting ready to start house hunting.  Here's my race report....

Allison -- So sorry you're going through parental challenges. Glad she's got you as a Mom to watch her back and take care of things. I understand not having the mental focus right now for traithlon and that daughter is a priority. Good for you. You may find that after things calm down a bit you'll be able to get back to a bit of training, at least something to maintain sanity.

Take care and I"ll get to your race report as well as Yanti-dear's.

Morning all! 

Allison, x2 on your daughter having such a great mom to help her through this time.  As things start to settle, I hope you get to find a little 'you' time.  It sure helps keep ya hang on to the sanity. 

Hope everyone has a good Thursday.

What's on tap for the day??  If it's not raining, I'm headed out to ride this evening.
2010-07-08 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-07-07 9:50 AM Hey all, I haven't had a chance to read and get caught up but I wanted to pop in and let you know I'm still alive.  I did my race, I did my move and now we're getting ready to start house hunting.  Here's my race report....

Oh dear Allison, you have been in my thoughts since I read this yesterday.  I suppose life is like a race...when you feel awful, you have to tell yourself that you won't feel awful forever...

Don't be too hard on yourself over this.  Try to keep up some training...I know how much you love it...

Itty bitty plum )press(

2010-07-08 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
BTW have you guys read Allison's race report?  She placed 6th in her age group!!!  Way to go!!!

2010-07-09 12:27 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Amazing race for you, Allison.

Much love and many prayers for you and your family. I cannot imagine the pain/anger/frustration/etc.

I was pretty much the most horrible child I know of (okay, my sister was worse) and, as ungrateful as your daughter may be NOW and also what you're sacrificing for her, she will look back on this time as a tremendous gift. I have no regrets about my path nor resentments toward my parents, but what I wouldn't give to have had you as a mom when I was going through similar issues ...
2010-07-09 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Hi Manatees!  Happy Friday!  Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.  It's supposed to rain here all weekend, but I may be able to get in a couple of workoutsL
2010-07-09 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Hi Manatees!  Happy Friday!  Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.  It's supposed to rain here all weekend, but I may be able to get in a couple of workouts

Edited by crews 2010-07-09 9:30 AM
2010-07-09 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Quincy, thanks for the travel tips.  I can't wait to go.  We will miss Bastille Day - we are leaving here on the 15th.  I know that I will take a ton of pictures and have so much to tell you all about when we get back!! 

Allison, know that you and your family have been, and will continue to be, in my prayers.  And congrats on your race.  Way to go!

I have a race tomorrow.  I think that the rain will stay away during the actual race, although it is thundering and storming out now.  Hopefully after my race I will find some time to actually pack!  I am still doing my part-time job and between that and training and work, lets just say I don't think we have enough clean clothes to pack for that long!!

Have a great weekend.  What does everyone else have on tap?

Karen
2010-07-10 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Okay everyone, gather around.  Now, all together, point and laugh at Karen!  Why you ask?  Well, it is 8am and I am back from my race.  How you ask?  Because I am a complete idiot!!  Nope, race not today.  Yep, race tomorrow!!  I'll wait a minute while you stop laughing. 
I have no idea how I screwed up.  We got to the park and there was nobody around.  I'm thinking okay, this is weird.  Nobody!  Finally, I looked a the packet of info that I was emailed earlier this week,  Right there on the front on the info was the date - July 11!!  I felt like a total fool!!!  I quickly called my parents and told them to go beck to bed!  And we drove back home.  I guess the only good thing is that it was only 20 mins away.  Now I am totally messed up.  My eating and workouts this week were focused on racing today.  I have no idea what to do today!  Any suggestions?  I guess I will go and change my clothes and try to wrap my brain around racing tomorrow!

Have a good day everyone!!

Karen

2010-07-10 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2972259

User image

Melon Presser
gadgetlaw - 2010-07-10 8:07 PM Okay everyone, gather around.  Now, all together, point and laugh at Karen!  Why you ask?  Well, it is 8am and I am back from my race.  How you ask?  Because I am a complete idiot!!  Nope, race not today.  Yep, race tomorrow!!  I'll wait a minute while you stop laughing. 
I have no idea how I screwed up.  We got to the park and there was nobody around.  I'm thinking okay, this is weird.  Nobody!  Finally, I looked a the packet of info that I was emailed earlier this week,  Right there on the front on the info was the date - July 11!!  I felt like a total fool!!!  I quickly called my parents and told them to go beck to bed!  And we drove back home.  I guess the only good thing is that it was only 20 mins away.  Now I am totally messed up.  My eating and workouts this week were focused on racing today.  I have no idea what to do today!  Any suggestions?  I guess I will go and change my clothes and try to wrap my brain around racing tomorrow!

Karen

bwah ha ha BWAH HA HA HA

Look ... I'm just really glad somebody else managed to do this ...

My trick is to get right DAY ... wrong week.

Do nothing today. Relax. Stay off your feet. Watch a bunch of crap TV if you can.

I'd avoid Mexican food, pizza, cake, and lots of soda, though. It WILL come back to haunt you tomorrow.
2010-07-12 11:10 AM

User image

Master
That's one way to get the best spot in transition 

So, how was the race on Saturday Sunday???
2010-07-12 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2972259

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
gadgetlaw - 2010-07-10 7:07 AM Okay everyone, gather around.  Now, all together, point and laugh at Karen!  Why you ask?  Well, it is 8am and I am back from my race.  How you ask?  Because I am a complete idiot!!  Nope, race not today.  Yep, race tomorrow!!  I'll wait a minute while you stop laughing. 

Karen

I. am. dying.   HAAHAAA!  Race Report girl, let's hear it!!! 
2010-07-13 7:11 AM

User image

Regular
Hey Manatees!!

Been MIA due to vacation with no internet and forgot my phone charger.  2 weeks unplugged.  It was awesome!  Got in a lot of OWS's but left my running shoes in the hotel in NYC.  Going to get another pair today.

Carla, I am so sorry for your friend.  So senseless.  ((HUGS!!))

Alison, I am sorry to hear about your daughter.  She WILL appreciate this later in life.  I was that girl when I was 14 and my parents never knew and, as a result, years of therapy were needed.

Off to read race reports!

Kerry
2010-07-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2977073

User image

Melon Presser
kerryd - 2010-07-13 8:11 PM H

Alison, I am sorry to hear about your daughter.  She WILL appreciate this later in life.  I was that girl when I was 14 and my parents never knew and, as a result, years of therapy were needed.

Off to read race reports!

Kerry

Welcome back Kerry!!! Glad you had such a lovely break.

x2 on the comment to Alison ... I said something like that ... but yeah, me too.

2010-07-13 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Ok, I am finally back from vacation and I'm trying to catch up on here. It looks like everyone had a productive week training and racing! I will try to make some more individual comments later on. I am trying to catch up on the over 1000 work emails before I officially go back tomorrow...grrrr. 

The Caribbean was amazing.  My wife and I were eating lunch at a little local cafe and noticed Ironman 70.3 posters on the wall so we asked our waitress about it.  It is the St. Croix 70.3 race and it's held every year. She wants me to take her back so she can watch me race in 2013 (that will be their 25th anniversary of holding the race there).  I think she secretly just wants a vacation though but it could be a good goal for me. Although with the beautiful Caribbean waters my swim time might be a bit slow only because I won't want to get out/or I'll be looking at the colorful fish as I swim haha.  Ok, I'll check in a bit later on.  I hope everyone is doing well!
2010-07-14 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2978121

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-07-14 2:17 AM Ok, I am finally back from vacation and I'm trying to catch up on here. It looks like everyone had a productive week training and racing! I will try to make some more individual comments later on. I am trying to catch up on the over 1000 work emails before I officially go back tomorrow...grrrr. 

The Caribbean was amazing.  My wife and I were eating lunch at a little local cafe and noticed Ironman 70.3 posters on the wall so we asked our waitress about it.  It is the St. Croix 70.3 race and it's held every year. She wants me to take her back so she can watch me race in 2013 (that will be their 25th anniversary of holding the race there).  I think she secretly just wants a vacation though but it could be a good goal for me. Although with the beautiful Caribbean waters my swim time might be a bit slow only because I won't want to get out/or I'll be looking at the colorful fish as I swim haha.  Ok, I'll check in a bit later on.  I hope everyone is doing well!

Welcome back Ryan! Glad you had such an amazing time.

St Croix is a KILLER race but so, so beautiful (wht I hear from those who have done it)

It has, with Savageman and arguably Silverman, the toughest half-iron bike profile in the world.

But OH SO WORTH IT.

Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!!!
2010-07-14 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Ok trying to catch up here with work/job and with BT of course

Karen - Way to break the 30-minute mark on your 5k!  That is huge so congratulations. It always feels so good to reach a goal doesn't it?  I hope your race on Sunday went well too.  And better being a day early than a day late right?

Allison - I am sorry to hear about the situation with your daughter.  You will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers.  I know family comes first but hopefully you can still find some time for working out and trainging especially since you have family so close to you.  It will help you escape things mentally for a bit and you need those breaks every once in awhile.

2010-07-14 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi everyone...finally caught up here and have a moment to goof off on the computer.  Last Friday we packed up our show and took it on the road to visit the in-laws in Dubuque (the largest city in America that is NOT located on a major interstate...little known fact for the Cliff Clavins out there).  The kids got to hang with Grama and Grampa and we had a mommy-daddy endurance sports festival.  Saturday morning we got up and drove 65 miles back towards home to Freeport, IL, where I had found a little triathlon at the local Y.  It has been my sinister plan all along to get my husband into triathlon...so we decided this was going to be his first one.

We discovered in the last few weeks that he is not a very good swimmer.  Like I was not comfortable with him doing OWS.  Yeah, that bad.  I was surprised because he made it through Naval Aviation water survival training...but you don't have to be able to swim anywhere fast, in fact it is mostly about staying afloat in one place for as long as possible...anyway, we're working on getting him lessons so he can fix his stroke, but I figured a 400m swim in a 25m pool was pretty benign...

My race report covers the basics...but the really entertaining part is how DH WON his AG with a 10:45 swim.  I still die laughing about it...now granted, it was a very small, not so competitive tri, but seriously, what kind of a freak wins his first tri?

And to my midwestern peeps out there, I have to give this race props.  I ONLY did it because I could roll a tri into a visit with the inlaws and get free babysitting.  The pool swim didn't appeal to me much, and I figured it would be sort of dull, but I ended up having a blast and huge respect for this nice little event.  The bike course was well manned and well marked.  And pretty challenging.  The pool swim was organized and not nearly as chaotic as I expected.  The run was standard.  

And it was fun introducing DH to the interesting world of triathlon...coming from running where people just do their own thing, it is kind of a shocker when you meet so many chatty, friendly people after the race, or hear someone call your name or number out as you go by on the run with a hearty "good job or nice effort."  (Did I just use the word hearty?  What a geek)  Even on the bike or run when you pass or get passed, people often say something cheerful to you.  He actually got a little annoyed on the run because everyone he passed said something to him, and he was finally all...jeez, let me be.  

Anyway, I am pleased to report that he is HOOKED and phase one of my triathlon plan is complete.  

Sunday we did our long runs for marathon training.  I can report with certainty that running in Dubuque is a HILLY mess and tough for this flatlander.  I think I could have done less than 14 miles and gotten the same thing out of it, but I missed a couple of miles last week and I'm really trying to stick right with the plan as much as possible.  Monday we did a recovery run that was SUPPOSED to be only 3 miles, but he missed the turnaround...so we both went too far...I wasn't too happy about that.  It's his 'hood, he's supposed to know his way around.

Anyway before I sign off, can I just express my respect to those of you who trained for and competed in a Marathon?  I am definitely learning new things about endurance running training right now.  Mostly about how it hurts.  I am still more of a sprinter so I can get away with less volume and more quality, it's an interesting new world for me...slogging through such volume.  And I miss my bike and swim...a LOT.  Not going to do this next year...it's all three for me all summer in 2011!!!

2010-07-14 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Kerry:  welcome home, did you get new shoes yet???
Karen:  I seriously do stuff like that all the time...I took my kid to a birthday party that wasn't happening until the next week...it was awful...she was so upset.  And that was even up on my calendar...seriously I live by my calendar (big paper one, everyone has their own color, if it's not on the calendar, it ain't happenin').  It turns out I put the RSVP date AND the party date on the calendar, DH attributes it to me being all hopped up on coffee.
Ryan:  I am with Yanti on this one...do it.  DO IT!  I have been kind of eyeing that one and the one in Puerto Rico...if you do St. Croix,  I think you will want to consider doing it on a road bike...
Yanti:  I so enjoyed the 5k swim race report, what a fun write up!   

What's everyone else up to???

2010-07-14 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2981161

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I am seriously considering putting that on my race calendar for the future! Plus it's the Caribbean so you cannot go wrong right? I was looking at the San Juan one too actually. We love visiting San Juan. Hmmm decisions, decisions.
And luckily I have a road bike and not a tri bike so that works out perfectly for me   Plus I will have to convince the wife to take vacations down south so I can train occasionally in the heat and humidity Tongue out
2010-07-14 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2981199

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Hey guys! Welcome home from the turquoise waters Ryan. Both of those tris sound compelling.

Glad to see Yanti-ness back and feeling strong again.

And, Quincy, which marathon are you doing and which plan are you following? I have to say, I really have liked (in a sick and twisted way) the 2 marathons I've done. I'm training for a 3rd in November and am using an "advanced" plan. Yikes! So far, we're on hill repeats during the week. I continue to tri train though and use the bike and swim on recovery days from the harder runs.

As for me, I've got a full Aquabike 2/3rds of the Ironman (no swim), July 31st and a tri Sept. 18th (oly distance) and then the marathon in November. I may try to squeeze in trainings of 5 and/or 10K's or even a 1/2 marathon depending on the timing and how it fits the schedule.

Kerry, glad you're back! Allison --- still in my thoughts. Manatee flipper fives all around.

2010-07-14 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Hey all!  I have been MIA since the 4th.  Just been so busy.  I am trying to stay on track with training.  My daughter's birthday is tomorrow, and we are having 11 of her friends here on saturday for a pool party.  I have been making her cakes for the past 3 years and try to make them cute (never any formal cake decorating classes but I don't do too bad for an amateur).  

I have read everyones updates, but just don't have time for individual posts tonight.  Thinking of you all.  
Next race is on 7/25 (NJ State Oly).  I am starting to lose motivation for this Half IM training... I feel like I am in a funk.  I have major respect for those that train for IM races, especially those with families.  

Laura 
2010-07-15 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hi all,

Just wanted to check in real quick.  I am getting ready to leave for the airport.  My race on Sunday was awesome!!  I am still working on the report and will let you know when it is ready!  I will check in soon!

Karen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60