BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-02-27 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3373501

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
mackjenn - 2011-02-26 9:23 AM I think it fits. Hard to put on, but I don't feel restricted once It went on. Plus I put it on after a workout and was sweating, which I hear makes it harder. Look right? Going to have to wait on the pic - can't find a way to upload on my iPhone

Looks Great John!! When will you try it out in the water?  Is it warm enough there for an OWS already??? It is still months away before the ice is off the lakes around here! I'm comin' south!!!
I just found out that a friend of mine from here is doing Alcatraz also - his name is John too!

2011-02-27 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3374246

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
jogo - 2011-02-27 10:42 AM

So I started off strong with the HIM training but now I am sick.  This crud has settled in my lungs.  I've had asthma since I was 4 and have had many "attacks", near-death experiences.  I am really freaked out to push myself to breathe hard and do any running or biking.  I have not done anything except a swim since Tuesday, when I had that awesome brick.  Am I just being a baby?  Should I jump on the bike and push myself.  My body is liking the rest.  I feel fatigued just walking up the stairs.  How far behind am I going to be?  

My husband and I are going on a cruise on March 5 and that was a scheduled recovery week so I was just going to make a point of doing something for an hour each day (treadmill, swim, hike, stationary bike, dance, etc...).  Am I screwed for the HIM?   I'll have 12 weeks when I get back. 

When I was doing my marathon training last summer, I got a horrible cold during the "meat" of my training.  I ended up missing a whole week of training (including an 18 miler).  In the whole scheme of things, it really didn't effect my overall fitness.  Your health is #1 priority.  Rest.  You don't want to make your condition worse by going too hard in a workout.  When you're feeling better, ease back into your training and you'll find your fitness didn't change a whole lot.

You're not screwed for you HIM.  Twelve weeks is still enough time to get ready.  Your cruise will be extra fabulous when you're feeling fabulous.    Take care of yourself and everthing will fall into place just fine. 
2011-02-27 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3374246

User image

Veteran
jogo - 2011-02-27 9:42 AM

So I started off strong with the HIM training but now I am sick.  This crud has settled in my lungs.  I've had asthma since I was 4 and have had many "attacks", near-death experiences.  I am really freaked out to push myself to breathe hard and do any running or biking.  I have not done anything except a swim since Tuesday, when I had that awesome brick.  Am I just being a baby?  Should I jump on the bike and push myself.  My body is liking the rest.  I feel fatigued just walking up the stairs.  How far behind am I going to be?  

My husband and I are going on a cruise on March 5 and that was a scheduled recovery week so I was just going to make a point of doing something for an hour each day (treadmill, swim, hike, stationary bike, dance, etc...).  Am I screwed for the HIM?   I'll have 12 weeks when I get back. 

Hey Jo - sorry to hear your not feeling well.... that cruise will do you good! Crud in your lungs is nothing to play around with... you dont want to end up with Pneumonia... so listen to your body.... and with what you are capable of doing already... with 12 weeks left when you get back ... you are definately not screwed for your HIM!  Enjoy your holiday - get better and you will be back healthy and stronger and ready to kick some butt!!
2011-02-27 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3373784

User image

Veteran

bluwatersoul - 2011-02-26 4:37 PM Hi Manatees! I too have been MIA but hanging in there and moving my butt .  Have been having sinus problems which dont bother me to much on teh bike and run, but put me in a panic at the pool- all of a sudden I feel like I cant breathe at all. Not a good feeling. I hope this passes soon. Also just really, really tired at the end of the day, even though we have been getting more sunlight and all.

I have been doing a little better with my diet (ie -I dont feel like I am starving ALL the time, just SOME times). I am still avoiding the scale but some pants fit a little better - instead of slapping me when I tried to put them on, they just kinda smirked while I zipped them up. So, that is some progress.It is still a challenge though!

Good job on your diet... I'm glad your not getting slapped any more!   My pants are just laughing their of at me... as things seem to be getting a bit tighter every week.... this arm in a cast and achilles business is not helping my workouts much!! aggghhh!  I just keep telling myself things will be better..... SOON.. I hope!!

Hope you feel better soon and keep up the great work and progress!!

2011-02-27 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3374394

User image

Veteran
Lagnar - 2011-02-27 1:12 PM

Completed the last of my three winter indoor events and I feel good about my results.  A little stronger each time.  I've already had a better 2011 than 2010 because I was a participant again.  Wishing everyone good and consistent training.  Also wanting the winter to end.  I need some sun!  Is having it more than 40 degrees to much to ask?

Contrats on your last three races!! Getting stronger each time = good thing!!! Good Job!!! And I am sooooooo with you on winter ending. Enough already! It is nice today (-10C ish) but it was -40C yestereday with the windchill.  BRUTAL!!!
2011-02-28 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Hey all you manatees - please help me decide on a short term goal.

I'm going to do the spring run-off this weekend and need to register for a distance - 5k (too short), 10k, or 10 miles.  Do I do a 10k and target some unrealized time goal (ie 50 minutes), or do I do the 10 miles and just get the distance in some reasonable time - probably 1'35".

Thoughts / recommendations???

Undecided

2011-02-28 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3373156

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Congrats on your new position Claire!! Awesome!

2011-02-28 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3373784

User image

Master
Vista, CA

bluwatersoul - 2011-02-26 3:37 PM Hi Manatees! I too have been MIA but hanging in there and moving my butt .  Have been having sinus problems which dont bother me to much on teh bike and run, but put me in a panic at the pool- all of a sudden I feel like I cant breathe at all. Not a good feeling. I hope this passes soon. Also just really, really tired at the end of the day, even though we have been getting more sunlight and all.

I have been doing a little better with my diet (ie -I dont feel like I am starving ALL the time, just SOME times). I am still avoiding the scale but some pants fit a little better - instead of slapping me when I tried to put them on, they just kinda smirked while I zipped them up. So, that is some progress.It is still a challenge though!

Yea for "moving your butt". Sometimes some visualization with the pool and breathing helps with the anxiety. glad you got a smirk and not a slap!

2011-02-28 10:50 PM
in reply to: #3376368

User image

Master
Vista, CA

mackjenn - 2011-02-28 4:48 PM Hey all you manatees - please help me decide on a short term goal.

I'm going to do the spring run-off this weekend and need to register for a distance - 5k (too short), 10k, or 10 miles.  Do I do a 10k and target some unrealized time goal (ie 50 minutes), or do I do the 10 miles and just get the distance in some reasonable time - probably 1'35".

Thoughts / recommendations???

Undecided

Hey John - Just took a look at your runs for the last few weeks and your planned runs according to the plan you've imported. None of your runs are slated for longer than an hour, so I'd stick to the 10K and see what you have in you instead of stretching out to a 10-miler right now. Or, I'd go for the 5K and get some speed work in. I'd hate for you to get injured pushing harder in a distance you've not prepared for. We always push harder in a race whether we want to or not...it usually just happens with us type "A" three-sporters.

You can think of the spring run as a supported run...a training run where they hand you water.

Oh, and you're looking good in that wetsuit. Been in the water with it yet?

2011-02-28 10:54 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Okay, I"ve posted some replies up above ...note all my avatars in a row. I'm trying to catch up here. I flew back to the midwest last week for an ill family member who ended up passing away. I've been very close with this person and it's been a hell of a week. Somehow your priorities shift and triathlon just didn't really seem to matter much. Say what? Yep, I wasn't able to get too excited about anything s/b/r except to swim once and run  once while there and mostly for stress relief.Now I"m back home and still in the grieving process (which I know from experience will last a while). So, that's my story manatees and why I've been MIA the past few days and why I didn't get to the weekly inspires. I'll be back on your logs this week though, promise.

Lynn

2011-02-28 11:58 PM

User image

Regular
New Zealand
Hi guys
I've been MIA also for a while.  New Zealand is in a national state of emergency right now, as one of our major cities has been devastated by an earthquake.  I don't live in Christchurch, but I live in the next city down.. we did feel the quake here but it is just a terrible time, hundreds dead.  The majority of my friends are also doctors, and so have been quite involved in what has been going on, and also my job has got a bit busier indirectly, as I end up covering for staff who have been deployed.  Luckily my family in chch apparently all okay, but some of my students have been affected.. I think probably one of the worst disasters in NZ certainly in my lifetime.
so anyway... I have still been training, just doing bits and pieces when i can, and my race is in less than 2 weeks, and haven't even got out into the open water yet!
right better go try put baby back to bed
kia kaha (this means be strong)
Melyssa

2011-03-01 5:45 AM
in reply to: #3376701

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

lmscozz - 2011-02-28 11:54 PM

Okay, I"ve posted some replies up above ...note all my avatars in a row. I'm trying to catch up here. I flew back to the midwest last week for an ill family member who ended up passing away. I've been very close with this person and it's been a hell of a week. Somehow your priorities shift and triathlon just didn't really seem to matter much. Say what? Yep, I wasn't able to get too excited about anything s/b/r except to swim once and run  once while there and mostly for stress relief.Now I"m back home and still in the grieving process (which I know from experience will last a while). So, that's my story manatees and why I've been MIA the past few days and why I didn't get to the weekly inspires. I'll be back on your logs this week though, promise.

Lynn

Lynn, you are totally correct.  There are sometimes when tri's are just not a priority.  I am so sorry for your loss.  Take the time you need for yourself.  Taking care of yourself should be your priority.  We're okay, I promise. 

2011-03-01 5:49 AM
in reply to: #3376729

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

missyNZ - 2011-03-01 12:58 AM Hi guys
I've been MIA also for a while.  New Zealand is in a national state of emergency right now, as one of our major cities has been devastated by an earthquake.  I don't live in Christchurch, but I live in the next city down.. we did feel the quake here but it is just a terrible time, hundreds dead.  The majority of my friends are also doctors, and so have been quite involved in what has been going on, and also my job has got a bit busier indirectly, as I end up covering for staff who have been deployed.  Luckily my family in chch apparently all okay, but some of my students have been affected.. I think probably one of the worst disasters in NZ certainly in my lifetime.
so anyway... I have still been training, just doing bits and pieces when i can, and my race is in less than 2 weeks, and haven't even got out into the open water yet!
Melyssa

Melyssa, that is so awful. You know there really was not a whole lot of news about it so hearing it first hand really brings to mind the suffering that is out there.  As I said to Lynn, there are other priorities in life besides training.  My prayers and thoughts go out to all those families that lost lives and homes. 

Do what you can for yourself.  Open water is overrated.   Water is wet no matter how you look at it.  Its not going to be that much different and its the shortest part of the race.  You'll be fine. 

2011-03-01 7:04 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
missyNZ - 2011-02-28 11:58 PM Hi guys
Melyssa

God Bless you and the rest of the Kiwis.  You are a strong tribe.  I visited Central South Island two winters ago.  I know that you will all rebound stronger than before.
2011-03-01 10:52 AM

User image

Melon Presser
heartbreaking difficulties

Lynn, {{{MELON PRESS}}} and much healing and love to you as you traverse this part of your journey.

Melyssa, what can I say? My prayers are with your countryfolk. Lots of Kiwis here and some of them have lost loved ones too ... two of my friends are from Christchurch and they are in shock. One of them splits his time between Bali and NZ and now hasn't a workplace, home or car to come back to.
2011-03-02 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
I am sending lots of light and positive thoughts to all of you dealing with loss and uncertainty.

2011-03-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3378997

User image

Veteran
Austin
bluwatersoul - 2011-03-02 9:57 AM I am sending lots of light and positive thoughts to all of you dealing with loss and uncertainty.

Couldn't have said it better.   
2011-03-02 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
missyNZ - 2011-02-28 12:58 AM Hi guys
Melyssa

So so sad...

Kia kaha to you, girl.  
2011-03-02 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3379485

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
lounav - 2011-03-02 1:25 PM
bluwatersoul - 2011-03-02 9:57 AM I am sending lots of light and positive thoughts to all of you dealing with loss and uncertainty.

Couldn't have said it better.   

x3

{hug}
2011-03-02 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

missyNZ - 2011-02-28 9:58 PM Hi guys
Melyssa

Such an awful tragedy, Melyssa. Yes, kia kaha -- And, you are strong. Hugs to all. I'm sure it makes you want to hold your little ones a bit tighter.

Lynn

2011-03-02 7:38 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
On a lighter note, my first two outdoor rides have been quite disappointing.

2011-03-03 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3380139

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
pga_mike - 2011-03-02 6:38 PM On a lighter note, my first two outdoor rides have been quite disappointing.

What's up with that???  You prefer the indoor stuff now or perhaps it is harder on the real road than you recall?

Keep it up - it will come around.
2011-03-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3380139

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

So that probably means your rides can only get better.

2011-03-05 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
New wetsuit results... I think I took 10 sec off my 50 yard sprint time (did 3-4 in ~35 sec) and ~5 sec off my average 100 yard time on regular swimming for 1500 yards. Did get warm (pool swim) and shoulders do need to get used to the resistance of the full suit, but otherwise it was a complete success! Can't wait to see what happens if I get into swim labs for some stroke help.
2011-03-05 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio
Magic Mile test today.  Result was positive.  In two months I have been able to drop 18 seconds off my projected marathon per mile pace.  For me SWEET!  Slow and steady.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38